PDA

View Full Version : I wonder what will happen in Tenerife when Iceland UK is sold in September?

Tom & Sharon
08-06-2011, 14:42
I just thought I'd start an Iceland discussion thread, as it's blatantly missing from the "new" forum.

Iceland (UK) is to be sold off by collapsed Icelandic bank Landsbanki in September. Morrisons are a firm contender, and now Asda are showing an interest.

What do you think will happen to Iceland (Overseas SL) then? Personally, I'm hoping it will improve no end. I know it is not a "real" Iceland, but a private business using the Iceland brand to trade, but what will happen if the Iceland brand disappears? I bet the owners of Overseas are worrying a bit!

Will it mean we then have our very own Asda/Morrisons, or will Overseas lose their supply chain altogether, and we'll no longer have an English supermarket at all? As much as I think Iceland in Tenerife is badly managed, and to quote myself from the old forum "the fruit and veg is absolute c**p", I would like to keep an English supermarket.

My personal choice would be for an Asda, but I would settle for Morrisons! That would be amazing, as lets face it, Iceland food is pretty mediocre at the best of times.

What about everyone else? What would you like to see happen?

leahd
08-06-2011, 15:56
I would love to see an Asda.... but hightly doubt it....I think the trade name might change but the products being sold will stay the same.

sundownersvince
08-06-2011, 18:10
Not just the fruit and veg c**p, it pretty much all is.

Ecky Thump
08-06-2011, 18:23
I have never really classed Iceland as a supermarket, to me it was a shop full of freezers and a few dry foods , like Farmfoods and I would imagine that whoever bought the chain (franchise) would retain the name Iceland as a frozen food outlet, so as far as Tenerife goes I would not envisage much change.

marbro8
08-06-2011, 18:26
didn't we have a thread on this before? and someone pointed out that the iceland in tenerife had nothing to do with the british one because iceland is a franchise? sorry tom and sharon you have already pointed that out lol i didn't read your post properly:eyebrows: i wonder if asda would let someone set up a shop in their name and supply them with all their products, at the end of the day there is a large ex-pat community in tenerife, indeed all over spain and it would not do their buisness any harm to have branches worldwide, as long as it was overseen by them(or wallmart the american owners) just to make sure their standards were being met then everyones a winner, mmmm might give em a ring tomorrow:eyebrows:

fonica
08-06-2011, 18:40
I remember Tenerife when there was only one British food store and the prices were 200% more than the UK. We got Christmas puddings at Easter instead of Easter eggs and English bread was a rare luxury.If you don't like the fruit and veg in Iceland take a stroll along the road where you will find a first class green grocer selling great produce.Don't knock Iceland until we have something better,they are supplying us with UK goods at very little more than UK prices and you only have to see the number of Spanish people using the store to realise that they are doing something right.

Ecky Thump
08-06-2011, 18:52
I remember Tenerife when there was only one British food store and the prices were 200% more than the UK. We got Christmas puddings at Easter instead of Easter eggs and English bread was a rare luxury.If you don't like the fruit and veg in Iceland take a stroll along the road where you will find a first class green grocer selling great produce.Don't knock Iceland until we have something better,they are supplying us with UK goods at very little more than UK prices and you only have to see the number of Spanish people using the store to realise that they are doing something right.

As far as I was aware, Iceland in Spain is a totally different company to Iceland UK and is registered as a spanish company with a British MD and is called "Overseas ES".

Tom & Sharon
08-06-2011, 19:03
As far as I was aware, Iceland in Spain is a totally different company to Iceland UK and is registered as a spanish company with a British MD and is called "Overseas ES".

That's what I said Ecky - wakey, wakey!

The point is, if Iceland disappears as a brand, and presumably the "arrangement" which exists between the current Iceland (UK) and Overseas SL will be null and void when Iceland is sold to Morrisons/Asda or whoever. So what happens then?

marbro8
08-06-2011, 19:29

The point is, if Iceland disappears as a brand, and presumably the "arrangement" which exists between the current Iceland (UK) and Overseas SL will be null and void when Iceland is sold to Morrisons/Asda or whoever. So what happens then?ok i have waken up as well now lol, if that happens then you would think that the place would benefit from better quality produce?

tendedburrito
08-06-2011, 19:53
I hope it doesnt disappear as I get all my Linda McCartney and Quorn food from there. Would be back to the bad old days of pasta con tomato frito otherwise. :(

Ecky Thump
08-06-2011, 19:59
ok i have waken up as well now lol, if that happens then you would think that the place would benefit from better quality produce?

I'm awake as well now, in Tenerife I think the Iceland name will remain and some of the UK suppliers to Iceland UK will still sell Iceland branded goods as these suppliers also sell the same products to other named shops, an example of this is Frozen Oven ready filled potatoes from one supplier are presently labeled, Farmfoods, Iceland, Netto and possibly a few others.

The point is, if Iceland disappears as a brand, and presumably the "arrangement" which exists between the current Iceland (UK) and Overseas SL will be null and void when Iceland is sold to Morrisons/Asda or whoever. So what happens then?

wingnut1874
12-06-2011, 21:44
As a Iceland Store Manager(uk) there aint much to worry about, the current management of the company have pref rights so they only have to match any bid to get the company outright, job done!!

with cheese
12-06-2011, 22:06
The name will stay anyway, too much of a going concern now.

DJ Dangerous
13-06-2011, 03:18
Tesco Express!

Tom & Sharon
13-06-2011, 07:35
Tesco Express!

Tesco...........Oh yes!

sam & dan
13-06-2011, 10:14
Asda would be excellent or morrisons not really fussed but always wondered why one of them has never set up over here considering the amount of xpats!!!! its a gold mine!!!

Jackie
13-06-2011, 10:29
Me too Sam, would love an Asda here.

cgs
13-06-2011, 15:37
Hoping for an ASDA!

Madre
14-06-2011, 13:01
I would like a supermarket where I could get grocery shopping, pick up some paracetomal, grab a cold drink some new knickers a paper and maybe a new toaster etc if I needed 1!

:)

mike in chayofa
14-06-2011, 13:15
I would like a supermarket where I could get grocery shopping, pick up some paracetomal, grab a cold drink some new knickers a paper and maybe a new toaster etc if I needed 1!

Apart from the paracetamol, you can do this anyway. There's Alcampo, Carrefour, El Corte Ingles and others. Stores of that size will not (at present) appear in Arona or Adeje for political reasons.

Paracetamol in not allowed to be sold in shops or supermakets because of Spanish law - so you can buy plasters (or whatever) in a shop, but not medicine.

Chemists are only allowed one outlet. This is why you will not get 'Boots' here either

Madre
14-06-2011, 13:19
Yes I go up there now and again, would love to have I of these down south it would be great. Still waiting for Primark but know that will never be down south either.

Suej
14-06-2011, 13:22
Iceland in UK have just started the new TV Advertising campaign with Stacey Solomon...I reckon the name Iceland and itīs products will stay.

Jackie
14-06-2011, 13:38

Do you know what Debbie this is by biggest bug bear here. You can't just pop to the local shop and pick up paracetamol or similar you have to go to a pharmacia. My nearest pharmacia here in the hills is a good 30 minute walk there and another 30 minutes walk back unless I want to wait half hour for a bus either way, and neither of these do I want to do when I have a banging headache and have run out of tablets.

Tom & Sharon
14-06-2011, 14:09
Do you know what Debbie this is by biggest bug bear here. You can't just pop to the local shop and pick up paracetamol or similar you have to go to a pharmacia. My nearest pharmacia here in the hills is a good 30 minute walk there and another 30 minutes walk back unless I want to wait half hour for a bus either way, and neither of these do I want to do when I have a banging headache and have run out of tablets.

I always bring about 20 packets back with me from UK, and cold&flu relief and Beechams hot lemon. I've been in Tesco this morning for about 3 hrs, buying loads of stuff to bring back tomorrow.

Jackie
14-06-2011, 14:13
I always bring about 20 packets back with me from UK, and cold&flu relief and Beechams hot lemon. I've been in Tesco this morning for about 3 hrs, buying loads of stuff to bring back tomorrow.

Funnily enough Sharon my hubby is out next week and he has had the same orders lol

Sarah
14-06-2011, 17:44
Always wanted a Morrisons with a cafe to be there think it would be great but doubt they would copy abroad what they do in UK.

blue marlin
14-06-2011, 18:10

how many times did you go through the checkout your only allowed 2 packs at a time lol

hedgehog
14-06-2011, 19:04
Chemists are only allowed one outlet. This is why you will not get 'Boots' here either

I bet a boots would go down a storm here even without the medicine section - how many orders do you get for toiletries from Boots when you happen to mention you're planning a trip back to the UK?!

Tom & Sharon
14-06-2011, 23:22
how many times did you go through the checkout your only allowed 2 packs at a time lol

I pick up 2 packets every time I go out. I went through the checkout 3 times this morning though, and then went to Asda on my way back as well!

AJP
14-06-2011, 23:28
(Tom and Sharon) I pick up 2 packets every time I go out. I went through the checkout 3 times this morning though, and then went to Asda on my way back as well!
I know you,ve mentioned that the noise is bad but I didn,t realise it was that bad:doh:

Andy0210
14-06-2011, 23:31
As a Iceland Store Manager(uk) there aint much to worry about, the current management of the company have pref rights so they only have to match any bid to get the company outright, job done!!

Welcome back Haydn, what took you ??? ;)