PDA

View Full Version : Tenerife Forum 'Is the bar still open, or not?' Thread

CharlieBhoy
08-06-2011, 14:54
Is the Buckie Bar still open in Los Cristianos?
Is Taylors still as busy?

My son used to get a 'Shipwrecker' burger down at a bar/cafe across from the market in LC is that still there?

Coming over in July after missing out last year, is there many changes?

Apollo
08-06-2011, 16:33
Hey there
Taylors is still very busy, and they have just had an outdoor misting system fitted there so when you get here in July you will be able to experience the luxury of sitting outside in the sun without the overbearing heat!! Its great. :D

Dont think there have been too many changes, a few new bars and restaurants but the good ones have lasted.
Have fun!!

doreen
08-06-2011, 17:19
New bar opening in El Mirador strip at the weekend - was Smokey Joes, now Springers International Bar. Also Nancy Spain's should be ready to open soon - down opposite the Flower Market and beside the Chinese.

sleepy
08-06-2011, 21:41
New bar opening in El Mirador strip at the weekend - was Smokey Joes, now Springers International Bar

Is that anything to do with the Springers at Funchal do you know Doreen?

Peterrayner
08-06-2011, 21:47
Is that anything to do with the Springers at Funchal do you know Doreen?

I hope so they used to do some great nights down there. :D

marbro8
08-06-2011, 22:09
went to taylors a few weeks ago and yes very busy, like i have said before the only bar that does not need a pr,great welcome and lovely staff,shambles and harvy's great entertainment and good priced drinks, also manhattan bar good food and good priced drinks, o'jangles great entertainment and warm welcome, tbh the el mirador strip is probably the best place to get all the eliments of your holiday in one

sleepy
08-06-2011, 22:15
I hope so they used to do some great nights down there. :D

When Stan had it?:lol:

KJPAUL
10-06-2011, 14:00
Hi, Can anyone tell me what happened to the Summer Nites building. I have heard various things are going on but nothing has been confirmed.

Thanks

Paul:cheers:

delderek
10-06-2011, 14:05
Hi, Can anyone tell me what happened to the Summer Nites building. I have heard various things are going on but nothing has been confirmed.

Thanks

Paul:cheers:

Its now a restaurant, Margul (or something like that) supposedly ex owners of the now closed Margui steak house, opposite El Brasero.

KJPAUL
10-06-2011, 14:29
Its now a restaurant, Margul (or something like that) supposedly ex owners of the now closed Margui steak house, opposite El Brasero.

Thanks for replying.

dobletsat22
11-06-2011, 18:34
is the heritage still open.and does dave still run it.be out end of july

marbro8
11-06-2011, 19:05
is the heritage still open.and does dave still run it.be out end of julyit was a couple of weeks ago, but don't know who owns it we have only been in twice, with such a good choice of bars on el mirador we don't venture down there much

dobletsat22
13-06-2011, 18:52
what bars are on el mirador

Suzy_Bear
16-06-2011, 12:58
yip Buckie bar is also still open

Incognita
07-07-2011, 22:34
Heritage bar is still open and still run by Dave, there is a new bar opening in about a week called Frydays just a couple of doors down from the Heritage at the old Overseas site. They have a proper fish and chip range in there and are going to be doing fish and chips, eat in or takeaway/delivery - as well as other traditional British food.

scotspeter
17-07-2011, 20:37
Summernites is now gone replaced by Maguy Steakhouse,food is excellent and not bad priced.The one next to up the hill is to be a Indian Restarant I believe.Acrros the road is a new Chinese whitch is also very good

Davethepubsinger
18-07-2011, 16:12
Went past Olivers (next to Big Bens ) today and it's not open. Has it gone already?

Balcony
18-07-2011, 17:42
Thought Olivers was up close to Summerlands? Two of them????

tizzywizzy
18-07-2011, 17:48
Olivers next to Big bens was open on Sunday. Yes Balcony there are 2 places called Oliver's

Edit sorry got mixed up with Nancy Spains. Do not know if Olivers was open

slodgedad
18-07-2011, 19:30
Olivers next to Big bens was open on Sunday. Yes Balcony there are 2 places called Oliver's

Edit sorry got mixed up with Nancy Spains. Do not know if Olivers was open

:tv::typing::tv:..Duh...:devil:

wahay
19-07-2011, 11:37
Went past Olivers (next to Big Bens ) today and it's not open. Has it gone already?
no its not gone its closed on a monday i believe open today tuesday and entertainment on tonight

Davethepubsinger
27-07-2011, 15:40
First the bad news; The Bluebell in Los Cris has closed.

Now the good news - The Bluebell in Los Cris has re-opened about 50 yds up the hill from where it was.

Balcony
05-08-2011, 16:57
So long as there's a bar open.....somewhere.....

willo-the-wisp
22-11-2011, 19:55
I'm happy to say the Bluebell Bar is still operating. As Davethepubsinger says it has moved up and round the corner (to just passed where their exit was). Now run (I believe) by son Craig, who's Mother sadly passed away fairly recently. Dad Campbell did make an appearance whilst we were there. Same good service and you can still put a bet on.1829

geedee
23-05-2012, 12:13
I have been told that Heroes Bar, just past the Oasis Moreque in Los Cristianos has closed. Does anyone know if Graeme and Jane who had this bar are still in the area?:thanx:

Davethepubsinger
23-05-2012, 12:29
Heroes, OMG you're going back a few years. Heroes relocated to Costa del Silencio and then closed. I bumped into Graeme a week or so ago and he's now working for Iceland.

geedee
23-05-2012, 13:27
Thanks, Dave. It was late 2008 when we were last in the bar, so guessing it would have been sometime in 2009 that it closed in Los Cristianos. I didn't know the bar had moved to Silencio although I think they may have lived in that area. Good to know they are still on the island.

apricotcandy
08-10-2012, 11:03
Can anyone tell me where the Bluebell bar is in Los chris

imablue
08-10-2012, 11:26
If you can find Princesa Dacil Hotel which is about 500mts from the bus station in Los Cristianos walking towards the sea ...right opposite is Calle del Coronel (a cul de sac) the Bluebell is down that street on your left ..in fact if you knew where it used to be ? it,s about 3 doors up from there ... .....

apricotcandy
08-10-2012, 16:38
If you can find Princesa Dacil Hotel which is about 500mts from the bus station in Los Cristianos walking towards the sea ...right opposite is Calle del Coronel (a cul de sac) the Bluebell is down that street on your left ..in fact if you knew where it used to be ? it,s about 3 doors up from there ... .....

Cheers, I know where Princesa Dacil is, so will look out for it. I didn't know there were any bars in this area, but we always find somewhere new each time we visit. Thats why we love Tenerife

slodgedad
09-10-2012, 01:24
Don't walk past the Dacil towards the market.

Directly opposite the Dacil is a road that goes down towards the sea. It's down there on your left.

Harmonicaman
09-10-2012, 11:18
Can anyone tell me where the Bluebell bar is in Los chris

I've pinned it on this map for you...See here (https://maps.google.co.uk/maps/ms?msid=209882241335080699954.0004cb9da0fa54609aea 5&msa=0&ll=28.050711,-16.714212&spn=0.002665,0.006137)

monkeyhangers
20-10-2012, 09:18
Any one know if Hereford Bull is still open in PDLA.

essexeddie
22-05-2013, 17:49
Isn't the Bluebell Bar near the old Pensioners' Bar, where the late old lady used to serve and her head was just above the bar and every drink used to be one€ ?
There was a sign that said 'young people are not welcome' :-)

slodgedad
22-05-2013, 17:51
Isn't the Bluebell Bar near the old Pensioners' Bar, where the late old lady used to serve and her head was just above the bar and every drink used to be one€ ?
There was a sign that said 'young people are not welcome' :-)
Yup. The Corona. The Bluebell used to be to the right of it now it's to the left.

essexeddie
22-05-2013, 18:18
Corona that's it, well done.
I know it now, that bar used to have a trannie serving behind the bar, well I thought it was, it should have been one.

universal
22-05-2013, 18:24
El Coronel actually.

essexeddie
22-05-2013, 18:32
El Coronel actually.

Correct, new it was something like that.

salsa
13-08-2013, 20:32
Does anyone know if La Pietra in San Telmo has closed. It was shut the last time I went over to San Telmo. If so, has Stefan the owner opened up anywhere else on the Island?

jackanory
14-09-2013, 11:28
A recent Tenerife visitor mentioned that Zizzi's wasclosed in August. I just wondered are Zizzi's and Porkies still open in the Apollo centre.

Ecky Thump
14-09-2013, 12:17
Coronel, that's it, well done.
I know it now, that bar used to have a trannie serving behind the bar, well I thought it was, it should have been one.

It's a old lady (Teresa) from some South American country who owns and runs the bar...if she doesn't like the look of you, she simply ignores you and you won't get served, she has a son who looks "spaced out".:cheeky:

marbro8
14-09-2013, 14:23
It's a old lady (Teresa) from some South American country who owns and runs the bar...if she doesn't like the look of you, she simply ignores you and you won't get served, she has a son who looks "spaced out".:cheeky:we won't be going in there then:scared:

honda
14-09-2013, 14:34
A recent Tenerife visitor mentioned that Zizzi's wasclosed in August. I just wondered are Zizzi's and Porkies still open in the Apollo centre.

Zizzi's has gone, not sure about Porkies.

imablue
14-09-2013, 15:37
Zizzi's has gone, not sure about Porkies.

Porkies or the place itself is still there ..now re-named The Windsor........

jackanory
15-09-2013, 10:53
We were regular visitors to both Zizzi's and Porkies last Nov (2012)
I knew Porkies was up for sale(Retirement). But a bit of a shock to learn that Zizzi's had closed.Anyone know whether the Zizzi's owners have returned home or opened another bar?

Angusjim
15-09-2013, 10:55
Zizzi was a Tops bar:crazy:

Peanuts
15-09-2013, 11:05
Zizzi is still open, was there on Friday.

Angusjim
15-09-2013, 11:12

Are the drinks expensive ? don't really like paying more than a euro for a pint maybe stretch to 1.50 as its the wife's birthday when we are next over so don't mind spashing out for one night :scotland::cheers:

junglejim
15-09-2013, 11:15
Are the drinks expensive ? don't really like paying more than a euro for a pint maybe stretch to 1.50 as its the wife's birthday when we are next over so don't mind spashing out for one night :scotland::cheers:
Go to Irish Rover AJ - BOGOF on spirits 5 hrs a day -you can buy your wife a drink and you can have the free one - everyone happy!

Angusjim
15-09-2013, 11:18
Go to Irish Rover AJ - BOGOF on spirits 5 hrs a day -you can buy your wife a drink and you can have the free one - everyone happy!

Even better just go myself and drink both:tiphat:

jackanory
15-09-2013, 12:02

Thanks that's good news they were probably temporary closed in August.

warbey
15-09-2013, 20:06

Youve got Me thinking now.

Doreen from Porkies hasn't posted for quite some time.

Anyone know how/where She is ? Are They still there..?

obs
15-09-2013, 22:07
Doreen & family moved back to the UK a couple of weeks ago. I'm sure that when she is sorted, she will be back on the forum. :tiphat:

jackanory
16-09-2013, 10:20
They closed for their son Jamie,s wedding to Jen.(They got married in America)
As Peanut says they are OPEN!!!!!

Thanks andyfm - all is explained - I forgot about the wedding - it was mentioned when we in Zizzi's last Nov.

andyluvsfilms
17-10-2013, 21:36
My very first holiday abroad was at Los Cristianos and i remember a bar called The Stumble Inn which was run by an older couple, i dont suppose its still there? This was over twenty years ago and i have such fond memories of my stay there. I remember staying at some apartments possibly called Atlantida.

andy

Dutts
05-11-2013, 18:27
Someone said my favourite little bar in La Caleta has closed - Nicos Bar. Anyone shed any light?

Tenerife Babe
11-11-2013, 19:52
Would anyone know if The Rovers Return has re-opened yet,when we were over in October there were people that looked like estate agents?? measuring up inside.

Thanks

marbro8
11-11-2013, 20:45
Would anyone know if The Rovers Return has re-opened yet,when we were over in October there were people that looked like estate agents?? measuring up inside.

Thankswe saw people measuring up but i would be very surprised if it ever opened again with the amount of back rent and the advanced rent the owner wanted up fronteek2:, the place was left in a right mess and we were talking to a former employee the other week and they said that they even had to sell everything inside the bar including the kitchen sink to be able to pay owed wages:confused:

packman 1
18-11-2013, 14:18
Is oliver,s in los cris still open friends tried to book but said it was closed

Angusjim
18-11-2013, 14:56
Is oliver,s in los cris still open friends tried to book but said it was closed

Is this Olivers with A Twist ? if it is I just booked a table last week by E mail for when we are over 3rd December they told me that they were on holiday at the moment

obs
18-11-2013, 15:44
Just spoken with Cathy today, no vacancies before December 2nd :crying2:

macdonald5
19-11-2013, 20:49
We have just had confirmation of a booking for December too

tfs1
26-11-2014, 14:56
fyi - Someone has mentioned The Swan and Margarita were closed early last night by the police. Some talk of either too much noise or chatter it may be licensing issues. Harveys closed a couple of weeks ago and I understand is still closed but not sure if this is the case.

anyone know if this is a temporary thing and/or when they are going to reopen ?

TOTO 99
26-11-2014, 15:12
fyi - Someone has mentioned The Swan and Margarita were closed early last night by the police. Some talk of either too much noise or chatter it may be licensing issues. Harveys closed a couple of weeks ago and I understand is still closed but not sure if this is the case.

anyone know if this is a temporary thing and/or when they are going to reopen ?

Just sit at the pool bar on Margarita for half an hour.....you'll hear at least fifteen different stories as to what's going on...none of which will be true of course......:lol:

lynno52
26-11-2014, 15:24
Just sit at the pool bar on Margarita for half an hour.....you'll hear at least fifteen different stories as to what's going on...none of which will be true of course......:lol:

Do you mean the pool bar in the complex or the one above Margarita? Either way, I agree!:lol:

Tshirt
26-11-2014, 15:26
For those that use it, the Sun Inn on Sunset Bay is closed for their annual holidays from 24th Nov 'til 15th Dec 2014. Reopen on the 16th Dec 2014

Ecky Thump
26-11-2014, 15:29

That seems to be the case, differen stories from different folk and in the case of Harvey's closure, Andy0210 put on the forum that he had information straight from the "Horses Mouth"...the owner!, that it would reopen shortly and that was two weeks ago!!, yet it still remained closed last week with police signs on the doors.???

TOTO 99
26-11-2014, 15:56
Do you mean the pool bar in the complex or the one above Margarita? Either way, I agree!:lol:

I mean O'leary's in the complex......Warrington-On-Sea......:lol:

tfs1
26-11-2014, 16:02
That seems to be the case, differen stories from different folk and in the case of Harvey's closure, Andy0210 put on the forum that he had information straight from the "Horses Mouth"...the owner!, that it would reopen shortly and that was two weeks ago!!, yet it still remained closed last week with police signs on the doors.???

Just had a walk around and the tape is still on the Harveys doors, the Swan and Margarita are currently both open but unable to have live music until, certainly in the Swans case, a license issue has been resolved. They are playing some background music.

Ecky Thump
26-11-2014, 16:11
Just had a walk around and the tape is still on the Harveys doors, the Swan and Margarita are currently both open but unable to have live music until, certainly in the Swans case, a license issue has been resolved. They are playing some background music.

I don't know how factual this information is, but Bolllie the compère from The Shambles says that the closure is due to noise issues and that the council will be enforcing more stringent rules with noise from bars having to cease at 10:30PM. I can certainly understand it where there are private residences in the close vicinity of a bar.

Andy0210
28-11-2014, 23:15
Everything has been done that has been asked and now they are just waiting for the rubber stamp to reopen, this being Tenerife who knows when that may be but should be soon, perhaps the gossips should remember that this is peoples lives and livelihoods that are being affected while the bars are closed and stop tittle tattling with the 15 or so different stories whilst sipping G & T´s round a pool bar!!!

Ecky Thump
28-11-2014, 23:37
Everything has been done that has been asked and now they are just waiting for the rubber stamp to reopen, this being Tenerife who knows when that may be but should be soon, perhaps the gossips should remember that this is peoples lives and livelihoods that are being affected while the bars are closed and stop tittle tattling with the 15 or so different stories whilst sipping G & T´s round a pool bar!!!

Unfortunately that's what happens in life...people speculate and in the case of Harvey's closure and what has been discussed on this forum, I see no threat to people's livelihood being put at risk!!!

Andy0210
28-11-2014, 23:53
Never mentioned anyones livelihood being put at risk just saying that people have lad to spend lots of money in order to get to the stage to reopen due to beurocracy and also lost plenty of money whilst closed, but hey whats that matter as long as its all worth a good gossip, beats watching daytime tv.

Ecky Thump
29-11-2014, 00:12
Never mentioned anyones livelihood being put at risk just saying that people have lad to spend lots of money in order to get to the stage to reopen due to beurocracy and also lost plenty of money whilst closed, but hey whats that matter as long as its all worth a good gossip, beats watching daytime tv.

I'm not sure what the purpose of your posts are with the sarcasm about drinking G&T's and watching daytime TV.

If the bar has been a well run and popular one, then I'm sure that most of the regular customers (most of which like me are holiday makers) will return and hopefully it will remain a successful venue.

Oh and for the record, I don't watch daytime TV, never sat round a pool bar and have never drunk a G&T..".but maybe I might try one.:D

kingbaker
29-11-2014, 00:29
I'm sure Ecky's never up that early...:D.

Malteser Monkey
29-11-2014, 00:33

oi you time for bed - as is for me

You'll be out catching all those spammers otherwise :wink2::snooze:

Ecky Thump
29-11-2014, 00:35

I've normally done two journeys to Glasgow before daytime TV starts, someone has to keep the wheels of commerce turning.:p

Then it's back to bed!!:zzz:

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

oi you time for bed - as is for me

You'll be out catching all those spammers otherwise :wink2::snooze:

He's already let one!:cheeky:

Malteser Monkey
29-11-2014, 00:41
Ochh away to ya beds now you tooo

am I getting the accent right - sweet dreams of boats and yellow wellies:zzz:

nice to see you marbro8

Ecky Thump
29-11-2014, 00:46

nice to see you marbro8

@marbro is the forum specialist on accents, he has a Glaswegian tutor who works in Manhatten's .....She said he's Pure Pish at paying attention, but he can swallow a few beers in record time!,:p

marbro8
29-11-2014, 00:47

nice to see you marbro8hi agent MM:wave:, been a bit bizzy of late but nice to see some familiar faces still posting;)

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

@marbro is the forum specialist on accents, he has a Glaswegian tutor who works in Manhatten's .....She said he's Pure Pish at paying attention, but he can swallow a few beers in record time!,:pand she spoke to me a few weeks ago as if i was just another touristrolleyes2::lol:

Malteser Monkey
29-11-2014, 00:50
Ohh I'll have to look back on this thread just nipped in before bed

Night all

yes Marbro been wondering about you mate.

:wave:

Ecky Thump
30-11-2014, 23:51
and she spoke to me a few weeks ago as if i was just another touristrolleyes2::lol:

Did you not explain to her that you are very special and have many cousins in Tenerife.....
and they nearly all have apartment on El Mirador, plus most of them are also taxi drivers!:whistle:

marbro8
01-12-2014, 21:19
Did you not explain to her that you are very special and have many cousins in Tenerife.....
and they nearly all have apartment on El Mirador, plus most of them are also taxi drivers!:whistle: no i didn't want to get lambasted:lol:

Ecky Thump
01-12-2014, 21:22
no i didn't want to get lambasted:lol:

Lambasted......is that something you do when your cooking the Sunday Roast!:p

marbro8
01-12-2014, 23:21
Lambasted......is that something you do when your cooking the Sunday Roast!:pyes unless you are cooking beef chicken or pork:lol:

Ecky Thump
06-01-2015, 13:01
Does anyone know if Harvey's have reopened after their enforced closure in November?

Malteser Monkey
06-01-2015, 13:05
Does anyone know if Harvey's have reopened after their enforced closure in November?

I di nae know:D

Ecky Thump
06-01-2015, 13:16
I di nae know:D

Och ye glaikit eld hen, ye shoods ken better than 'at.:D

essexeddie
06-01-2015, 14:03

Yes it is now open

Tshirt
08-01-2015, 22:13
Bobbins bar at Sunset Bay closes permanently this Sunday, 11th Jan. For those that like a bet you will have to go up to the Irish Rover from now on

twopint5euros
10-05-2015, 11:30
just wondering if some of my usual haunts for daytime drinking are still open, Travellers Rest, Macks Bar, Giddy Goose and La Boca ??

Is Pete that used to hang about The Travellers Rest selling his boat trips still there ?

Anne 2009
10-05-2015, 19:54
Macks bar has changed hands and is now called friends.

blondie
10-05-2015, 20:51
just wondering if some of my usual haunts for daytime drinking are still open, Travellers Rest, Macks Bar, Giddy Goose and La Boca ??

Is Pete that used to hang about The Travellers Rest selling his boat trips still there ?

I am sorry to tell you but Pete died last year just a few months after the programme on Ch 5 OaP s behaving badly. He had been unwell for quite a time. On a lighter note note , your other bars are still open other than Macks .

twopint5euros
11-05-2015, 13:03
I am sorry to tell you but Pete died last year just a few months after the programme on Ch 5 OaP s behaving badly. He had been unwell for quite a time. On a lighter note note , your other bars are still open other than Macks .

aw thats a shame, Pete was alright, he liked a drink but he was harmless, used to always buy him a pint on my last day.

Im booked up to go on 15th September, not been for 2 years so its good to know most of the usual places are open, there was no point asking about Veronicas and Starco, they will always be open :drunk2:

carl_hutch_derb
30-04-2016, 15:40
I guess this is the right place? Anyway, Used to go to Los Cristianos regularly as a kid but haven't been in several years, however my parents went a couple of years ago. When asking about bars/restaurants I remembered still being there they said they all were but had changed name, but they can't remember what to, so hoping some Cristianos veterans would be able to help.

Pink Elephant (think that's right, it was a upstairs bar near the beach)
Chicago's - A restaurant/sports bar
Amigo's - My absolute favourite place to go as a kid, Phil and Bill were always great with me and my brother when we were young and the food was non to bad either, though my main memory of the place was how the place mats were white with a blue print of a map of the island :lol:

delderek
01-05-2016, 16:24
I guess this is the right place? Anyway, Used to go to Los Cristianos regularly as a kid but haven't been in several years, however my parents went a couple of years ago. When asking about bars/restaurants I remembered still being there they said they all were but had changed name, but they can't remember what to, so hoping some Cristianos veterans would be able to help.

Pink Elephant (think that's right, it was a upstairs bar near the beach)
Chicago's - A restaurant/sports bar
Amigo's - My absolute favourite place to go as a kid, Phil and Bill were always great with me and my brother when we were young and the food was non to bad either, though my main memory of the place was how the place mats were white with a blue print of a map of the island :lol:

That is going back a bit. The Pink Elephant, was above what was then The Cockney Pride (later Chicago's). The Pink Elephant then changed to a Chinese eatery. Amigo's is still under the same name, but I believe a few owners later.

carl_hutch_derb
01-05-2016, 16:53
Cheers, My mum swears Amigo's was named something else when she went last (2013 I think), So maybe with changes of ownership they renamed it then named it back?