PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone else make their own wine on the Tenerife Forum?

DaveRF
29-05-2011, 13:15
Since coming back to the UK I've started wine making as a hobby. I started off with a kit one of Elder Flower which is ready after 3 weeks as a starter. That turned out fine but I have others on the go made from natural resources. Lilac blossom, Dandelion, Parsnip, Strawberry and Black Cherry. These seem to be going well and are fermenting fast and should be clear and ready by Xmas.

Does anyone else make their own wine and if so have you any tips to share or make any recommendations on what to make?

Oh and one final question. My local wine making supplies shop has a still openly on sale. Are they not illegal to own?

DaveRF
02-06-2011, 20:03
Has no-one here ever made their own wine or know if stills are illegal to own?

Greg
02-06-2011, 20:37
I'll give it a go! Anyone know know where I can you buy the kits from in TFS?

warbey
02-06-2011, 20:52
I made quite a lot in the 60=70's era.
The best I ever tasted was Elderberry Wine, which presented for a Drink as a Thanks.
It was really red full-dodied and smooth.
My best was made with Rice, this had currants in the recipe to give some flavour.
It was rough when bottled but after 12 month maturing, seasoned Drinkers wanted this before anything.
In an instant Society, 18 Months is a long time, but Hey, good things are worth waiting for..

I also think stills are illegal, but only if You are caught using them..

Different Yeasts will give different strengths of Alchohol.
Wine Yeast will hopefully achieve up to 12 or 13% with Beer Yeast about 5 per cent.

I brewed strong Beer.. It was horrible, so watch that too
Be careful when Bottling. If not finished Fermenting, it can blow the bottle/s up..

Mawkin
02-06-2011, 22:11
Hi

Reminds me off the time my mother made some homemade Ginger Beer when I was a kid. When the bottle was opened there was more on the walls and ceiling than left in the bottle.