PDA

View Full Version : Restaurants Oyster Catcher Bar and Grill, El Mirador, Los Cristianos, Tenerife

slodgedad
08-06-2011, 15:31
Have you visited this restaurant. How was it?

How was the service, what was the food like?

Write a review to give others an idea of where to go on their jollies

Tom & Sharon
08-06-2011, 15:35
If you want to see a badly run restaurant, and will enjoy an evening where you feel like your're on the set of Fawlty Towers, crosssed with an episode of "The Galloping Gourmet" then this is the place for you!

Bazz
08-06-2011, 16:32
Yeah, went just once and wouldn't go back. The tables were really close up together. You couldn't have a private conversation! :whistle:

Tom and Lesley
17-07-2011, 18:10
We agree, the owner can be very rude to customers when he is busy. Good food, bit expensive if you don't mind being served by Basil Fawlty. The other staff are great by the way. If the owner stays in the kitchen you may have a good meal.

Loaded
06-08-2011, 23:44
I can't believe what i'm reading! I go to the oyster catcher regularly and the food is always superb, the restaurant is very well run, the staff always friendly and as for the owners - you couldn't ask for better hosts!!!

Mike is always interacting with the other customers - very friendly and very welcoming - he made a fuss of our 4 year old and got her to draw a picture for him to stick on the flambé trolley, his wife Vi even takes our new born baby off us when she's not busy so we can eat with free hands !

I stumbled across these reviews and was really shocked to hear the negative reviews !!! This is one of the best British run restaurants in Los cristianos, my god the amount of rubbish there is in this town and here is a small restaurant cooking everything fresh and going the extra mile!!!!

Ignore the neg heads and go and enjoy some fantastic food from a friendly restaurant at very reasonable
Prices!!!!

golazzo
18-08-2011, 06:46
I only have good things to say about this Restaurant. Yes the tables are too close but I like the cooking station and the food is very good but possibly a little overpriced

JordanJ
18-08-2011, 17:39
I have only just signed up to Tenerife forum and i especially did this after hearing bad reviews of the Oyster Catcher. I have been going to this restaurant for 3 years, when i have been on holiday to Tenerife with my family and friends and now as a resident.

I can honestly say i have never had a bad meal or experience in the restaurant, the owners welcome us with open arms and accommodate our table needs at all costs. the waiting staff are also attentive but give you space during your meal, and most of all the food is absolutley gorgeous and well priced, I´ve had most things from the menu and every one has been perfect and i struggle to choose which dish to have, as i feel im missing out on other dishes!!!!!

This is great restaurant and would highly recommed it to everyone who visits Tenerife of all ages!!!

WeeBoabfaeGovan
18-08-2011, 19:49
Hi Folks different opinions on the oyster catcher from different people you will just have to go and try it yourself ;)

Sal
18-08-2011, 20:01
So sorry to read this thread. Two or three years ago it was almost impossible to get a table at the Oyster Catcher as it was so popular.
Husband and wife team work long and hard, but I think the competition is just too stiff for them.
This year we noticed they were closed early sometimes - such a shame remembering how good they used to be.

:dontknow:

Loaded
18-08-2011, 23:06
Sal they're still serving great food, on a strip boasting the mongolian BBQ and Locanda Italian and overseas Chinese just up the road this husband and wife run restaurant might not be able to compete on turnover but their food is as good or better than anyone's in town and they deserve credit for still going down the fresh route when it's easier and more profitable to do the opposite

Adocros
24-06-2012, 08:39
We like to try different restaurants each time we holiday in Los Cris and obviously have our favorites but tried Oyster Catcher first time this year and have now been for a second time because it is so good. The guy cooked my meal on the range in the middle of the restaurant which I enjoyed. On both visits the food has been excellent; the staff too. Many places nowadays have staff that look like they want to be elsewhere or bored, not here, they were very good. Great experience all round.

golazzo
15-06-2013, 06:46
Last time we visited it was shocking, I do think basil fawlty spends far too much time bloody show cooking in the middle of the open terrace.

He's hardly a chef, kills everything he cooks in my opinion. Anyway won't be going back anymore, way too much choice now in that surrounding area.

TOTO 99
15-06-2013, 08:26
These last 2 reviews are a year apart!

I don't tend to go because I find it a bit cramped but I have family who are regulars and they love it.

It's always looked busy whenever I've been passing so they must be doing something right...:tiphat:

Loaded
15-06-2013, 09:23
I honestly think the "basil fawlty" comment is more than a bit out of order. For one its an unnecessary personal attack and it couldn't be further from the truth.

Basils real name is Mike and is a quiet man who always makes people welcome , my family and I are regulars and he always makes a fuss of the girls .... He's polite and friendly to all customers and as for his cooking skills; they are good enough to have created two very successful businesses based on this as the centre piece.

Fair enough it might not be your bag but no need to assassinate a hard working guy who's also a total gentleman to boot.

#end of rant

I send a lot of my customers up there and all come back raving about it - you won't find British food cooked as well as this in los cristianos.

golazzo
15-06-2013, 11:22
I'm entitled to my opinion with this being a forum and id hardly say ive been overly cruel.

Thanks for your concern though

tfs1
15-06-2013, 12:01
We have eaten once at the Oyster Catcher a couple of years ago, the food was ok (nothing special) but there are some people who run businesses etc you take to and some you don't.

We haven't been back, although it is clearly popular with many people.