PDA

View Full Version : Driving on the roads this winter in the UK

timmylish
05-12-2011, 00:22
Then take the time and possibly the money, to invest in you and your family,s safety this winter. I thoroughly recommend following the advice given. I did when living the early part of my life in the UK and never, ever regretted doing so!
http://www.whatcar.com/car-news/winter-tyres-tested/be-prepared/259257

Greg
05-12-2011, 00:39
Great advice timmylish but probably a tad misplaced on the tenerife forum methinks!

duracell290
05-12-2011, 01:15
ok this is hard for most too do. but in ICE, dont brake, clutch instead. ok the theory behind this is, clutching disengages the drive ie no power to the wheels that drive the car, thus enabling the driver to maybe steer the car and regain control the vehicle. That is a simplified senario, please get adv dvr technique's from approved Dvr instr's

ruffus
05-12-2011, 01:26
Great advice timmylish but probably a tad misplaced on the tenerife forum methinks!

Yep, we dont often have ice and snow here, rain sometimes, yes, but not ice :dontknow:

timmylish
05-12-2011, 02:21
Because of the large numbers of UK based members I thought it prudent, like any other news/media/information items to bring it to their attention. You never know. It might just help one driver!

Balcony
05-12-2011, 08:29
I remember last year the sudden and heavy snowfall in the south which caused chaos on the roads. It took me 7 hours to cover a journey normally taking 1 - 1.5 hours!

However, the nut jobs still insisted on driving as fast and as close to someone else as they could. Lorry drivers too driving like maniacs, chucking up all sorts of debris. Cars and trucks were getting stuck on the gentliest of gradients. Low profit tyres were not de rigeur!!!

But I did manage to remember just one thing about moving from a stop onthe snow and ice and that was to use no gas and simply let out the clutch and the engine would do it's stuff. It did.

In bad conditions like that just stay away from other vehicles as much as you can. When you reach an inevitable stop point stay back and lay off the brakes, just depress the clutch.

And remember to go out pepared with spare warm clothing, blankets. Take a flask of tea/coffee/soup and some food. Take a torch, warning triangle, reflective jacket, one of those fold-up shovels and some spare rubber mats to, perhaps, help your tyres get a grip.

An old tip, for lighter ice overnight. The night before get a nice large potatoe and cut in half. Rub the potatoe onto the windscreen and rear windows to help prevent frezzing; or else buy one of the covers available at car shops.

Let's hope the preparation is a huge waste of money! LOL

Angusjim
05-12-2011, 12:27
Shock horror snow in winter nothing new to us in the northerly outposts of the UK but now its reaching the heart of the motherland its national news and they are only just stopping declaring every snow fall as a national disaster. GIE'S A BREAK !! its no new it just winter time :crazy: :snowman: :wave:

Malteser Monkey
05-12-2011, 12:33
Because of the large numbers of UK based members I thought it prudent, like any other news/media/information items to bring it to their attention. You never know. It might just help one driver!

Absolutely Timmy I couldn't agree more - will have a look at that lunchtime.

Oh and they had snow in La Palma last year - you ask Canaries