PDA

View Full Version : Other Whats happened to the pools in Garachico?

Tilly
05-12-2011, 20:43
Hi there, we were over for a few days last week and as we usually do we visited Garachico as the kids like to swim in the sea pools there, we were dismayed to find that they were 'closed', there was tape across the entrances and the little cafe was all boarded up. Can anyone shed any light on this? Such a shame as it is a lovely place to go visit and the kids loved it!! (though it would have been a bit choppy for swimming!) looked like it had been closed a while too, but it was open when we were over last year.

Cheers
Tilly
:dontknow:

imablue
06-12-2011, 00:13
may well be because of the winter months .... we were over there in September with family visiting and all the pools were open then ....as were the bars ....

Tilly
06-12-2011, 11:29
We've been over in November and December before and they were open, my boys have swam in the pools in December before now (with wet suits on!). The cafe was not just closed for winter, it was all boarded up and the entrances all had police or yellow tape across them??

chifleta
06-12-2011, 15:37
they were probably expecting rough sea/tides, it's renowned along that stretch for the sea to come right up and over the main road - I remember the year they first put artificial grass (ughh i'm English but can't remember the proper name) in the football ground, and rough seas just washed it away (my better half is from Garachico and I lived there for a year)....

In 1987 there were freek waves ("maremoto" an underwater earthquake that produced a tsunami) ... i'm going to try and attach a photo from a pamphlet my sis-in-law lent me, so you can see :)

A couple of people were washed out to sea when this happened. My father-in-law was working inside the banana factory that is situated on the harbour, and one of the waves went right over the top.

no copyright intened LOL

Tilly
06-12-2011, 16:04
Blimey, thanks for that, thinking about it, the sea was rough the day we went, what a difference tho, as I said my boys swam there in December a few years ago.

chifleta
06-12-2011, 17:04
I always say "respect the sea", hence I haven't swam in el caleton for 19 years, ever since I was preggars and a high wave came over one of the rockpools and I got flipped underwater (not my favourite pastime) - as my better half is a Garachico water baby, I just swam off to let him fend for himself, so he just took a deep breath, sank to the bottom and sat there for a minute whilst I surfaced and climbed up a convenient volcanic rockface (nice bleeding toes after that experience) ... give me Las Galletas harbour any day of the week LOL