PDA

View Full Version : Do you need a licence to drive a motor scooter in Tenerife?

sonia floyd
05-12-2011, 21:13
Does anyone know whether you need a licence of any sort to ride a scooter over here? Thanks x

Jackie
05-12-2011, 22:17
Yes you do. You can do a test at any of the driving schools here for a scooter but it will obviously be in Spanish.

Sombra
06-12-2011, 02:07
Not if the scooter is only 50CC (ones with the yellow number plates). You can drive a 50-125cc scooter if you have a car licence for 3 years or more. Any scooter over 125CC requires a special motorbike licence as Jackie mentioned above.

Jackie
06-12-2011, 07:50
Not if the scooter is only 50CC (ones with the yellow number plates). You can drive a 50-125cc scooter if you have a car licence for 3 years or more. Any scooter over 125CC requires a special motorbike licence as Jackie mentioned above.

You are right Sombra, sorry I assumed the OP meant for someone without any licence at all

bonitatime
06-12-2011, 10:48
Yes you do. You can do a test at any of the driving schools here for a scooter but it will obviously be in Spanish.

The test has to be done in the test centre in Santa Cruz and there are very few shcools in the south who have the training grounds for the practials. The nearest one to us was in the centre of Adeje.

Jackie
07-12-2011, 08:02
The driving school on the roundabout in La Camella do them in the South. I am not sure where their training ground is but I know when we enquired there for my son they gave us all the details. It worked out easier for him to go back to the UK in the end and do his CBT there as one of the main criteria was the fact you had to be resident for 6 months plus and although we had been here for a year my son didn't have the residencia then and he couldn't wait another 6 months.