PDA

View Full Version : WANTED in Tenerife English DVDs

Faraway
06-12-2011, 20:59
Can't get English TV here so have to rely on DVDs and after 6 years am getting fed up with the ones I have - not horror or violent ones tho please. Thanks

caroletenerife
06-12-2011, 21:04
Hi
Any of the Live Arico shops have a lot of dvd's, and all types of films, there is a shop in Silencio, onr in Los Cristianos and one in San Eugenio, in San Eugenio, we have literally hundreds so i'm sure you will find something you like x

MrsTT
06-12-2011, 23:24
We have over 800 titles for rent and some for sale as well. Call in to Witzend in Callao Salvaje. We will even order ones you want specially for you!:D

timmylish
06-12-2011, 23:42
You obviously are connected to the net so why not watch UK (not English as there,s no such thing!) on the net?

beerfan
07-12-2011, 00:15
Can't get English TV here so have to rely on DVDs and after 6 years am getting fed up with the ones I have - not horror or violent ones tho please. Thanks

Try going to the local Spanish DVD shops and looking for titles with the words "Inglés" on the back either in the audio section or subtitles. You can probably guess what the DVDs are. If you're not interested in doing that, order titles from the Internet instead - for example, Play.com (http://www.play.com) ship titles with free P&P directly to Spain and will likely debit your card in euros if you request it too. They have a euro pricing option on their website and they ship from Jersey in the Channel Islands.

As for the shops I advise you to be a bit cautious as some of the DVDs (especially the older ones not from major distributors) may have forced Spanish subtitles on the English track. I know my old copy of Braindead did (though I could remove them!) although it wasn't the case with the Spanish horror film Los Sin Nombre which had optional English subtitles and, bizarrely, has a former Emmerdale actor as the villain!

MrsTT
07-12-2011, 09:41
Amazon are the best bet for buying DVDs online at the moment because if your order is over 25 GBP it is posted here freeeeeee! They have been consistently cheaper than Play dot com over the last 6 months. :D

9PLUS
07-12-2011, 10:33
I've got

The thin red line
Platoon
Full Metal Jacket
Matrix Reloaded
The Secret of Thomas Crown
Apocalypse Now

If you like any im open to offers

beerfan
07-12-2011, 11:37
Amazon are the best bet for buying DVDs online at the moment because if your order is over 25 GBP it is posted here freeeeeee! They have been consistently cheaper than Play dot com over the last 6 months. :D

This is on the money actually - Amazon are pretty good altogether actually. Also, if you order from Amazon UK there's all kinds of weird and wonderful stuff that you can pick up for buttons.

Faraway
07-12-2011, 14:43
Hi
Any of the Live Arico shops have a lot of dvd's, and all types of films, there is a shop in Silencio, onr in Los Cristianos and one in San Eugenio, in San Eugenio, we have literally hundreds so i'm sure you will find something you like x
Hi Carole,
Whereabouts in San Eugenio are you please? Costa del Silencio is nearer to me but the bigger choice sounds good. Many thanks

Added after 2 minutes:

Thank you, I will have a quick look

beerfan
07-12-2011, 14:47
Thank you, I will have a quick look

You could quite easily pick up at least five DVDs (or more!) for that price too.

Faraway
07-12-2011, 14:48
You obviously are connected to the net so why not watch UK (not English as there,s no such thing!) on the net?

I don't actually know how to do it - am hopeless with TVs. I did once get someone to come out and see if I could get a signal but Mennifix came out and apparently the hill in Grenadilla blocks any signals I could get and I just can't afford the BBC package, so I just stuck with DVDs.

Zara
07-12-2011, 14:57
I sell DVDs for K9 at €1.50 if you are interested I could let you have a list of titles I currently have and we could meet somewhere to exchange cash for films LOL.

beerfan
07-12-2011, 15:00
I don't actually know how to do it - am hopeless with TVs. I did once get someone to come out and see if I could get a signal but Mennifix came out and apparently the hill in Grenadilla blocks any signals I could get and I just can't afford the BBC package, so I just stuck with DVDs.

There should be tutorials telling you how to do it on the web. You can do it for free.

Faraway
07-12-2011, 15:05
I sell DVDs for K9 at €1.50 if you are interested I could let you have a list of titles I currently have and we could meet somewhere to exchange cash for films LOL.

Hi Zara, thanks for your offer but I think I would be better just having a browse in the shop itself as titles will not mean much to me.
Cheers

caroletenerife
07-12-2011, 18:47
[QUOTE=Faraway;122900]Hi Carole,
Whereabouts in San Eugenio are you please? Costa del Silencio is nearer to me but the bigger choice sounds good. Many thanks

Added after 2 minutes:

We are next to the Santa Maria Hotel, across the road from La Nina Hotel, as your driving in from Las Americas you pass the shopping centre and go down the hill past Templar bar and we are just a couple of hundred yards past Harleys x

Greg
07-12-2011, 19:21
go to www.vuze.com and download the programme. Free film, tv series and music. It's simples and works great!

Stoney
07-12-2011, 19:23
You obviously have the internet, so go to the website www.Putlocker.com they will let you watch certain films for free.

beerfan
07-12-2011, 20:21
You obviously have the internet, so go to the website www.Putlocker.com they will let you watch certain films for free.

You'd be better off searching on something like OVGuide to find the films you'd want to watch.

henry
07-12-2011, 20:38
Try going to the local Spanish DVD shops and looking for titles with the words "Inglés" on the back either in the audio section or subtitles. You can probably guess what the DVDs are. If you're not interested in doing that, order titles from the Internet instead - for example, Play.com (http://www.play.com) ship titles with free P&P directly to Spain and will likely debit your card in euros if you request it too. They have a euro pricing option on their website and they ship from Jersey in the Channel Islands.

As for the shops I advise you to be a bit cautious as some of the DVDs (especially the older ones not from major distributors) may have forced Spanish subtitles on the English track. I know my old copy of Braindead did (though I could remove them!) although it wasn't the case with the Spanish horror film Los Sin Nombre which had optional English subtitles and, bizarrely, has a former Emmerdale actor as the villain!
play.com is very bad a few times i order dvds and video games.never get them after writing so many e-mails in asking for another one after a month i finally get them in. last time i order from play.com i order madden 10 for playstation 3. and got fed up and after 3 month and request so many times that never got it. i finally got it after the 3nd month. so i give up on play.com. so when ever i went a game i ask my friend back in austin texas. i get them in a week or two. never again i going to use play.com.

beerfan
07-12-2011, 21:00
i get them in a week or two. never again i going to use play.com.

I haven't used Play.com in years but it was the only supplier I could immediately think of who do free shipping to other EU countries.

Amazon UK will be a better bet I suspect.

Greg
07-12-2011, 21:04
Why pay anything if you can get them for free off the net?

Faraway
08-12-2011, 19:16
I'm using a dongle and the speeds are atrocious, it also keeps cutting out every few mins so I think that would be pretty difficult. I think the best bet is just to look on Amazon or Ebay - at least until this superfast broadband at cheap rates appears! But thank you for your help

beerfan
08-12-2011, 19:49
I'm using a dongle and the speeds are atrocious, it also keeps cutting out every few mins so I think that would be pretty difficult. I think the best bet is just to look on Amazon or Ebay - at least until this superfast broadband at cheap rates appears! But thank you for your help

Be careful with Fleabay - sometimes the P&P ends up costing more than the DVD.

MrsTT
09-12-2011, 09:04
We stopped using ebay because a lot of the DVD were very dodgy indeed. Some only played once if at all. Blockbuster do previously owned ones but I think they charge for P&P. I haven't looked lately as the deals are so good on Amazon. Pick your moments on there for box sets though. It can vary a huge amount at different times of the year. I bought a load of box sets for a customer in the year and we saved over half the estimated cost compared with two other sellers. They were prepared to spend approx €300 according to each individual set price, including P&P, and it cost just under €150 when we had ordered them because there was no P&P - we were amazed! I know the prices change as some of the sets we put in the wish list for another time have increased in price dramatically. Probably the season!

beerfan
09-12-2011, 12:04
We stopped using ebay because a lot of the DVD were very dodgy indeed. Some only played once if at all. Blockbuster do previously owned ones but I think they charge for P&P. I haven't looked lately as the deals are so good on Amazon. Pick your moments on there for box sets though. It can vary a huge amount at different times of the year. I bought a load of box sets for a customer in the year and we saved over half the estimated cost compared with two other sellers. They were prepared to spend approx €300 according to each individual set price, including P&P, and it cost just under €150 when we had ordered them because there was no P&P - we were amazed! I know the prices change as some of the sets we put in the wish list for another time have increased in price dramatically. Probably the season!

In fact, you might want to:

a) search by free P&P and;
b) search by price

That way you can look for DVDs under a fiver supplied by Amazon UK.

Faraway
09-12-2011, 20:02

Thanks, I will have a look and select my wish list. I had forgotten that Amazon were doing free deliveries.

bebe27151
11-12-2011, 19:25
I do the same ... what type of DVD´s do you watch ?? Do you enjoy series or just films ??

Faraway
11-12-2011, 19:35
I like series such as Frost, Rosemary and Thyme, Judge John Deed etc, although I do watch the occasional film. The trouble is that its hard to know what a film is about before you buy it whereas with the series at least you know you're going to enjoy them and watch them over and over.

beerfan
11-12-2011, 20:08
I like series such as Frost, Rosemary and Thyme, Judge John Deed etc, although I do watch the occasional film. The trouble is that its hard to know what a film is about before you buy it whereas with the series at least you know you're going to enjoy them and watch them over and over.

That's what DVD review sites are for. Soon as you see a DVD title you like, pop the title you like the look of into something like DVD-Basen (http://www.dvd-basen.dk) and away you go. With most popular titles you'll end up with 20+ reviews to choose from with all DVDs being reviewed comprehensively (and mentioning any cuts if they apply).

Also, there's far, far more stuff than just films and old TV series. The variety of DVDs out there is frankly dazzling these days. I've seen films I would never in a million years have been able to see without a DVD release - some very rare films have been cleaned up (sometimes from the very last Betamax print in existence for ultra-rare movies) and put onto DVD uncut, in anamorphic widescreen with considerable extras.

macana
20-12-2011, 11:33
I'm selling some English DVD's, I'll make a list and send it to you when I gent home this evening.