PDA

View Full Version : First visit to Tenerife. Recommendations please!

kevin dooher
07-12-2011, 21:21
Hi
I'm about to make my first (last minute ) visit to Tenerife. Can you reccomend a good place to stay. I'm learning spanish and fancy somewhere a bit Canarian rather than one of the big resorts. El Medano seems attractive I'm worried it might be too close to the airport for a restful stay
Hope you can help
Thanks
Kevin

tracy hampshire
07-12-2011, 21:29
puerto del la cruz, is a lovley little resort in the north of tenerife,it still keeps all it's spanish charm, with lots of spanish bars and retaurants, so if you want somewhere to practice your spanish this is ideal x

doreen
07-12-2011, 21:37
... or even try somewhere in Santa Cruz: I think it is a charming little city and you don't hear too much English spoken :)

timmylish
07-12-2011, 21:40
Stick with El Medano. Its our local beachfront. Absolutely delightful, Spanish, quiet (worry not about the planes 'cause you hardly hear them in Medano). Its so different with the windsurfers mixing in with the local Spanish families (and the occasional Scottish/Russian families). Bit windy (hence surfing) tons of little bars and restaurants. I can think of one Brit Bar with a tv on! 24hr a day, 365 day a year supermarket for all your needs and at prices close to our main supermercados. DON,T THINK OF ANYWHERE ELSE FOR A DIFFERENT EXPERIENCE.

beerfan
07-12-2011, 23:08
... or even try somewhere in Santa Cruz: I think it is a charming little city and you don't hear too much English spoken :)

Yup, although it's definitely a city. You might get a few people looking at you funny if you dress in your best shorts though. ;)

Avoid La Laguna though, I hated the place.

YOUNG GOLFER
07-12-2011, 23:26
El Medano is a great start you will love it.......... you can always pick another Town/City when you start to fall in love in love with Tenerife...have a great trip but please let us know how it went.:)

kevin dooher
08-12-2011, 21:15
What a fantastic response from all you lovely people. Its really appreciated. You're all so passionate about Medano and Santa Cruz I've decided to spend a few days in each place. Many thanks again for your comments.
Kevin