PDA

View Full Version : What foodstuffs am I able to import into Tenerife?

chippy
08-12-2011, 20:55
Spending Xmas in Playa De Las Americas would like to bring in some English bacon so we can have bacon butties is this allowed.
First time in tenerife

beerfan
08-12-2011, 21:10
I don't mind (and in some cases actively prefer) local bacon to be honest - if you've never had it before it's worth trying. That said, bringing it into Spain won't be a problem if it's vac-packed.

The major supermarkets as well as the cafés will all do English bacon as well if that's what you want.

henry
08-12-2011, 21:10
i think customs might said something about bring bacon here. here we do have iceland and they have english becon stright from the u.k. for me i whould buy the bacon at iceland and you won´t have to be bother from customs.

beerfan
08-12-2011, 21:16
i think customs might said something about bring bacon here. here we do have iceland and they have english becon stright from the u.k. for me i whould buy the bacon at iceland and you won´t have to be bother from customs.

Shouldn't be a problem as Spain is in the EU. If he was flying from Morocco then it would be a problem but he's not so it's allowed as long as it's free of disease.

warbey
08-12-2011, 21:27
Shouldn't be a problem as Spain is in the EU. If he was flying from Morocco then it would be a problem but he's not so it's allowed as long as it's free of disease.

Tenerife is not in the E.U.

Its not included as are any of the Canarias as far as I know.

beerfan
08-12-2011, 21:32
Tenerife is not in the E.U.

The Canary Islands (including the island of Tenerife) are an integral part of Spain so are therefore full members of the European Union - that said, they're not in the EU Customs Union but then neither is Gibraltar and Gibraltar is in the EU (for EU purposes it is treated more or less as part of the UK).

According to DEFRA for these purposes only Andorra (non-EU), Canary Islands (EU), Channel Islands (non-EU), Isle of Man (non-EU), Liechtenstein (non-EU), Norway (non-EU), San Marino (non-EU) and Switzerland (non-EU and non-EEA) are treated as EU Member States, under special agreements due to their proximity to the EU and their animal health status.

karinagal
08-12-2011, 21:38
Spending Xmas in Playa De Las Americas would like to bring in some English bacon so we can have bacon butties is this allowed.
First time in tenerife

I can't see this being a problem. On one trip we carried Lorne sausage, black pudding, haggis and tattie scones in our hand luggage. I've carried haggis on another 2 trips since and never had any problems.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

beerfan
08-12-2011, 21:40
I can't see this being a problem. On one trip we carried Lorne sausage, black pudding, haggis and tattie scones in our hand luggage. I've carried haggis on another 2 trips since and never had any problems.

Isn't Spanish blood sausage quite similar to black pudding? Haven't had it myself but I want to at some point.

caroletenerife
08-12-2011, 21:45
Chippy where in las Americas are you staying, there is a new Iceland...yes Iceland opening next week (we hope), they will have all you need, but i too have brought food..even smokies!! over and never got stopped

beerfan
08-12-2011, 21:48
Chippy where in las Americas are you staying, there is a new Iceland...yes Iceland opening next week (we hope), they will have all you need, but i too have brought food..even smokies!! over and never got stopped

You must be one of not many people importing cigarettes from a country with far higher prices into part of another country where they're much cheaper. ;)

(Having said that it has been noted that UKBA have bullied tobacco companies into not catering to British shoppers...)

caroletenerife
08-12-2011, 21:51
You must be one of not many people importing cigarettes from a country with far higher prices into part of another country where they're much cheaper. ;)

(Having said that it has been noted that UKBA have bullied tobacco companies into not catering to British shoppers...)

Beerfan..google 'Arbroath smokie' :D

beerfan
08-12-2011, 21:54
Beerfan..google 'Arbroath smokie' :D

Ah. Understood now. I've heard of Arbroath smokies before. :)

9PLUS
08-12-2011, 22:01
Wind up......

beerfan
08-12-2011, 22:06
Wind up......

It is I'm afraid... thanks for noticing. ;)

karinagal
08-12-2011, 22:34
Isn't Spanish blood sausage quite similar to black pudding? Haven't had it myself but I want to at some point.

No idea - the stuff we brought was for other people...

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

chippy
09-12-2011, 20:23
Staying at Caribe appartments for 9 days any supermarkets nearby or somewhere to eat xmas day.
Also been told shop centre in cristianos with a fountain any directions would be helpful

beerfan
09-12-2011, 20:31
To El Duque from your hotel? Here you go (http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Avenida+V+Centenario,+3,+Adeje,+Espa%C3 %B1a&daddr=Centro+Comercial+El+Duque,+Paseo+Maritimo,+S pain&hl=en&ie=UTF8&sll=28.0735,-16.73123&sspn=0.016339,0.033023&geocode=FRNMrAEdsrIA_ylX9_SDZpdqDDGBBTzb80ADEw%3BF W1rrAEdH6QA_yHXZUKLLAU6-w&vpsrc=0&dirflg=w&mra=ltm&t=m&z=17).

princessmonika
10-12-2011, 07:34
oh haggis i hope for new year you bring some and put me in the pot for some yum yum

seanocelt
21-12-2011, 13:37
Staying at Caribe appartments for 9 days any supermarkets nearby or somewhere to eat xmas day.
Also been told shop centre in cristianos with a fountain any directions would be helpful

15 minute walk to the new Iceland, you can get all your needs there, and good prices too, good luck, Sean.