PDA

View Full Version : Where can I order gofio online?

Ambrose
08-12-2011, 22:21
I've tried a couple of places but there always seems to be some kind of problem. For example, on one it asks you for your nat insurance number (I don't have a spanish nat ins number), and generally I have a hard time registering.

Is there anywhere online where you can buy gofio (and mojo) without any hassle?

beerfan
08-12-2011, 22:51
Have you thought of using Google Translate to e-mail them asking about it? In fact, using Google Translate liberally for these websites is a good idea.

cainaries
08-12-2011, 22:51
Hi Ambrose and welcome to the Forum.

I confess I'm a little puzzled by your question. May be you are in the UK and trying to buy gofio and mojo on line. You certainly won't have any difficulty at all finding them in the supermarkets in the Canary Islands. However, it might be that so few Brits have heard of them that you can't buy them in the UK, and I can't imagine anyone selling them online somehow as they would cost so much more to ship than they are worth.

If you're in the UK, you'll just have to find a regular traveller to Tenerife who is willing to bring them back for you! I'm just off to see if I can find a shop which might ship it to you simply because it is such an intriguing idea. So, if you are feeling kind, please tell me if you are in UK or Tenerife.

Good luck.

Ambrose
08-12-2011, 23:32
Hi Ambrose and welcome to the Forum.

I confess I'm a little puzzled by your question. May be you are in the UK and trying to buy gofio and mojo on line. You certainly won't have any difficulty at all finding them in the supermarkets in the Canary Islands. However, it might be that so few Brits have heard of them that you can't buy them in the UK, and I can't imagine anyone selling them online somehow as they would cost so much more to ship than they are worth.

If you're in the UK, you'll just have to find a regular traveller to Tenerife who is willing to bring them back for you! I'm just off to see if I can find a shop which might ship it to you simply because it is such an intriguing idea. So, if you are feeling kind, please tell me if you are in UK or Tenerife.

Good luck.

I'm in the UK. It's not for me, it's for my mum, and it's something that I want to get hold of within the next couple of weeks and I don't know anyone who can get it for me from Tenerife.

karinagal
08-12-2011, 23:33
I'm in the UK. It's not for me, it's for my mum, and it's something that I want to get hold of within the next couple of weeks and I don't know anyone who can get it for me from Tenerife.

Where are you in the uk?

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Ambrose
08-12-2011, 23:39
Where are you in the uk?

I'm in London.

karinagal
09-12-2011, 00:15
I arrive back into the UK on Saturday.. Does anyone know if this is something that they might sell airside at the airport?

Ambrose
09-12-2011, 01:08
I appreciate it but you don't need to do that.

karinagal
09-12-2011, 01:32
The offer is there if you change your mind.

Ambrose
09-12-2011, 01:34
Ok well it's a tempting offer. How would we do this?

cainaries
09-12-2011, 09:10
I see Karinagal is kindly offering to come to the rescue! You might get the mojo airside, KG, in a shop selling Canarian specialities. Might find a kind of 'gift pack' of mojos. Really doubt you could find gofio in the airport.

Ambrose - if you have paypal, I'm happy to try to post you a kilo of gofio. What kind in particular did you want?

malagabob
09-12-2011, 14:28
Enter mojo sauce importers and Amazon amongst others come up.

karinagal
09-12-2011, 16:28
Ok well it's a tempting offer. How would we do this?

If Cainaries is correct and they sell it airside, I'll pick some up for you then when I'm home I'll message you and we can arrange delivery. I can parcel it up securely and post it to you. We can worry about the financial bit later.

cainaries
09-12-2011, 16:32
They sell mojo airside in La Palma, KG, and I'm fairly sure they'd have it in Tenerife as well. Trouble is it will be in glass jars which will a bit of a pain to post on to OP.

karinagal
09-12-2011, 16:36
Thanks petal - I can give it a go. If its not going to be feasible to post it, then hubby will use it up! You know me though - hate to see anyone stuck!!

Malteser Monkey
09-12-2011, 16:37
If Cainaries is correct and they sell it airside, I'll pick some up for you then when I'm home I'll message you and we can arrange delivery. I can parcel it up securely and post it to you. We can worry about the financial bit later.

blimey can I have a kilo of Queso blanco de cabras, Kilo Manchego , 6 bottles of Emmets Bananas n Cream, 6 Liquor 43..............

Ta

They sell mojo airside in La Palma, KG, and I'm fairly sure they'd have it in Tenerife as well. Trouble is it will be in glass jars which will a bit of a pain to post on to OP.

hiya C & K

Double Bubble wrap - should be fine - won't weigh anymore

Ambrose
09-12-2011, 18:48
Out of the two of you (Karinagal and cainaries) who can bring gofio and who can bring mojo?

I've never had gofio so I don't know which is best, millo or trigo. I'll leave the decision up to whoever.

What I need is :

* 1 bag of gofio
* and either 1 red mojo and 1 green mojo, or if that's not possible, then 1 of either (preferably red if poss)

Thanks.

cainaries
09-12-2011, 19:56
Out of the two of you (Karinagal and cainaries) who can bring gofio and who can bring mojo?

I've never had gofio so I don't know which is best, millo or trigo. I'll leave the decision up to whoever.

What I need is :

* 1 bag of gofio
* and either 1 red mojo and 1 green mojo, or if that's not possible, then 1 of either (preferably red if poss)

Thanks.

Ambrose - I'm only offering to post you a kilo of gofio from here - I'm not coming to the UK so there would be some postage costs. I can't imagine gofio would be difficult to ship - it's more or less like a packet of flour after all. Posting mojo sounds far more complicated. And if, when I get to the Post Office with it, there's a problem, then I shall feel sorry for you but it's not exactly a major expense from my perspective!

Separate message to Malteser Monkey - yeah! Trust you! I will try to find out if it's possible to send you a cheese but it would have to be at least semi-curado. Would that be ok? Don't think a fresh one would travel well!

Nic
09-12-2011, 22:38
or try here....an online shop selling all Canarian products!

https://tienda.tucanarias.com/

beerfan
09-12-2011, 22:43
https://tienda.tucanarias.com/

You'd have to get a lot to make it worthwhile. For a 5kg box it's €27 shipping!

karinagal
09-12-2011, 23:44
I'll do what I can Ambrose - and then I'll message you to let you know what, if anything, I managed to get.

beerfan
09-12-2011, 23:48
Separate message to Malteser Monkey - yeah! Trust you! I will try to find out if it's possible to send you a cheese but it would have to be at least semi-curado. Would that be ok? Don't think a fresh one would travel well!

I must try some Canarian goats cheese. Goat's cheese in general is lovely anyway so I'm sure the Canarian varieties are to die for.

Ambrose
10-12-2011, 01:03
That's exactly what I tried ordering, 5Kg (this is in reply to someone from page 2, I forgot to quote them). I couldn't adam and eve it when I saw the final cost. I can't believe that there isn't a company in the UK that imports the stuff.

I'd be happy to buy some gofio and mojo from you Karinagal if you can manage to pick up 1kg of gofio (I don't mind which type as I've never had it so I don't know) and a red mojo and a green mojo.

I really should know more about gofio. I'm from Tenerife.

beerfan
10-12-2011, 01:10
That's exactly what I tried ordering, 5Kg (this is in reply to someone from page 2, I forgot to quote them). I couldn't adam and eve it when I saw the final cost. I can't believe that there isn't a company in the UK that imports the stuff.

Try looking on eBay and Googling for UK importers.

Carol55
10-12-2011, 01:20
Try looking on eBay and Googling for UK importers.

I would like some one to find a importer, because I can't.:dontknow:

Andy0210
10-12-2011, 01:25
After having tasted Gofio recently i can´t believe nobody has asked why anyone would want to import it :( ??? :dontknow:

Carol55
10-12-2011, 01:33
After having tasted Gofio recently i can´t believe nobody has asked why anyone would want to import it :( ??? :dontknow:

On its own its pretty tasteless and almost like eating soggy couscous, but if fruit and some spices are added it can be great.

Andy0210
10-12-2011, 01:43
On its own its pretty tasteless and almost like eating soggy cous cous.

Is cous cous Spanish for something disgusting?

Carol55
10-12-2011, 01:50
Is cous cous Spanish for something disgusting?

Only when its soggy.;)

TenerifePool
10-12-2011, 04:36
Mojo is very easily home made. Google some recipes and vary them according to your own taste.

karinagal
10-12-2011, 13:33
Ambrose - have managed to get Gofio as well as your mojo sauces. I'll parcel them up and post them Monday - pm your address. We can sort out the financials later. Total cost so far is 21,90€

Ambrose
10-12-2011, 13:57
That's amazingly expensive. How much of everything did you get?

cainaries
10-12-2011, 15:16
Ambrose - I think what you meant to write was, thank you so much, Karinagal, it's so kind of you to go to all that trouble for me.

If you had a price limit you should have said so.

canarybird
10-12-2011, 20:07
I know this is a little OT but I just wanted to mention that gofio is in no way insipid, nor is it always soupy or mixed with a liquid. There´s also gofio amasado, which is gofio which has been mixed with nuts and other ingredients to make it like a nutty-flavoured fudge. Has a slightly peanut butter taste to me and I love it.

It can usually be bought at food fairs around fiesta time or in some of the small village bakeries. Here´s one piece I bought once in the fair down at the harbour in Puerto de la Cruz.

http://canarybird.smugmug.com/Blog-Photos/Tenerife-Journal-Blog/IMG5643-gofio/1071731804_7QqcE-L.jpg

And yes it was very kind of you karinagal to go out of your way to help Ambrose.

Canarybird

beerfan
10-12-2011, 20:28
And yes it was very kind of you karinagal to go out of your way to help Ambrose.

Indeed. Ingrates - take no notice. :)

karinagal
10-12-2011, 20:36
**** - any forum member in the UK have a use for a kg of gofio?!! :(

beerfan
10-12-2011, 20:46

Frankly I'm a bit disgusted by her attitude. Morally, it's right that she pay up - she ordered it so she should pay the full cost. I'm really sorry if you end up getting stung for £20 on this. :(

I've never had the stuff before - what's it like?

karinagal
10-12-2011, 20:51
Frankly I'm a bit disgusted by her attitude. Morally she ordered it so she should pay the full cost. I'm really sorry if you end up getting stung for £20 on this. :(

I've never had the stuff before - what's it like?

Hubby will use up the mojo, as for the other stuff? Guess I'd better start searching for recipes!!!! Lesson learnt....

Ambrose
10-12-2011, 22:33
Karinagal, I've just read your PM. Are you in the UK now?

Andy0210
10-12-2011, 23:53

Yeh i could do with something a new doorstop! :whistle:

karinagal
10-12-2011, 23:55
Karinagal, I've just read your PM. Are you in the UK now?

Yes, arrived back this evening. When they opened the plane doors I almost turned around and demanded they take me back!! :D

cainaries
11-12-2011, 00:34
Yes, arrived back this evening. When they opened the plane doors I almost turned around and demanded they take me back!! :D

Karinagal, I think the idea of using the kilo of gofio as a doorstep is a good idea as long as it doesn't get wet! Otherwise I suspect it will turn into concrete.

Welcome home and hope you have a good rest of the weekend!

Ambrose
11-12-2011, 00:36
I know the feeling, Karinagal. Despite what others have said, I am grateful. The delivery costs are very high, not much less than if I were to order it online. I must admit it's putting me off but I have an idea. I live in south east London. If you don't live that far from me I could come and collect it or perhaps, if you want, you could bring it (and I'll give you a bit extra for your trouble).

Ecky Thump
11-12-2011, 00:47
I know the feeling, Karinagal. Despite what others have said, I am grateful. The delivery costs are very high, not much less than if I were to order it online. I must admit it's putting me off but I have an idea. I live in south east London. If you don't live that far from me I could come and collect it or perhaps, if you want, you could bring it (and I'll give you a bit extra for your trouble).

No, its not that far to travel, only 802 miles return!:doh:

Oops, its a bit further than that, I quoted for North London.

karinagal
11-12-2011, 00:52

:D As Ecky says, bit of a distance problem as I'm in Scotland - approximately halfway between Glasgow and Edinburgh... I take part responsibility for not getting you to state what your budget was before buying the stuff. These things are always overpriced when you buy them airside....

I could parcel it up and get you a postage price before you commit? What do you think?

Ambrose
11-12-2011, 00:57
Ok, you said before that the overall cost is so far 21.90 (euros or pounds?). How much gofio (and what type) and how much mojo? Is it red or green mojo or one of each?

Yes do that please (postage price)

beerfan
11-12-2011, 00:59
Ok, you said before that the overall cost is so far 21.90 (euros or pounds?).

She said €21.90, so it's about £19.

Ecky Thump
11-12-2011, 01:08
Ok, you said before that the overall cost is so far 21.90 (euros or pounds?). How much gofio (and what type) and how much mojo? Is it red or green mojo or one of each?

Yes do that please (postage price)

Not really our business, as its between you and Karinagirl, but if it were me I would just say "whatever the cost I will cover it".:)

Ambrose
11-12-2011, 01:12
Not really our business, as its between you and Karinagirl, but if it were me I would just say "whatever the cost I will cover it".:)

But it's not you. How about you just let me and Karinagal sort it out.

Ecky Thump
11-12-2011, 01:15
But it's not you. How about you just let me and Karinagal sort it out.

That is exactly what I said!! your business, but YOU have made it public!
I voiced my opinion which is my right on a open forum.

Ambrose
11-12-2011, 01:22
That is exactly what I said!! your business, but YOU have made it public!
I voiced my opinion which is my right on a open forum.

Ok calm down. I'm negotiating with Karinagal, we really don't need you to start trying to make out that I'm ungrateful. You have your right to an opinion but it's rather unconstructive to imply that I'm unappreciative, because you don't even know me.

Ecky Thump
11-12-2011, 01:30
You have your right to an opinion but it's rather unconstructive to imply that I'm unappreciative, because you don't even know me.

I don't think you are ungrateful, I just think you should deal with it sensibly and possibly if you don't want or like the opinions of others, ask for the thread to be closed and speak through the personal message system that the forum has in place. :)

Ambrose
26-12-2011, 14:19
Then what's your point? Nothing.

Anyway, thanks Karinagal, I got a card through the post saying that there was a delivery. If I need some more, could you pop over to Tenerife and get it for me? Just kidding.

karinagal
27-12-2011, 12:35
Then what's your point? Nothing.

Anyway, thanks Karinagal, I got a card through the post saying that there was a delivery. If I need some more, could you pop over to Tenerife and get it for me? Just kidding.

Get your orders in early - I'm Tenerife bound in 4 days..........! :p :p :p

cainaries
27-12-2011, 16:43
Oh, where to start!! How much of John Lewis's or M&S's bedlinen sales items can you fit in your handluggage, KG?