PDA

View Full Version : What to do? - I'm Holidaying in Playa De Las Americas from 20/12/11 until 27/12/11

Sarah123
09-12-2011, 19:59
I have a holiday booked in Playa De Las Americas and am now planning an itinery, can anyone suggest places of interest or things to do?
I am already going to see Mount Teide by the way

beerfan
09-12-2011, 20:21
I didn't see the south of the island much but have you looked at the entry for Tenerife on Wikitravel? That's a starting point.

Sal
09-12-2011, 21:03
There are so many things to do on the island - you will probably get leaflets at the airport when you land for a lot of the attractions. There are many businesses offering organised trips and depending on what you like, you will be spoilt for choice!

Personally, I love Loro Parque, Jungle Park and Monkey Park - also the Teide excursion.
I would have also enjoyed the whales and dolphins trip...........if I hadn't been sea-sick!!!

Whatever you choose to do have a fantastic holiday - and welcome to the forum! :welcome:

Ecky Thump
09-12-2011, 21:03
I have a holiday booked in Playa De Las Americas and am now planning an itinery, can anyone suggest places of interest or things to do?

If you have not been before a trip to Masca is a must, small villages on route where you will find local cafes and importantly the people of Tenerife, the views are magnificent. Puerto del la Cruz is a lovely place to visit with its harbour and the Botanical Gardens.
You will find many tour operators who can arrange trips for you and it is well worth exploring the island and just not the tourist areas.:)

beerfan
09-12-2011, 21:04
There are so many things to do on the island - you will probably get leaflets at the airport when you land for a lot of the attractions. There are many businesses offering organised trips and depending on what you like, you will be spoilt for choice!

Personally, I love Loro Parque, Jungle Park and Monkey Park - also the Teide excursion.
I would have also enjoyed the whales and dolphins trip...........if I hadn't been sea-sick!!!

Whatever you choose to do have a fantastic holiday - and welcome to the forum! :welcome:

Bear in mind though that Tenerife is bigger than you might think. It's the largest island in Spain so it takes a good 90 minutes to get from the top to the bottom of the island I reckon.

Ecky Thump
09-12-2011, 21:07
Bear in mind though that Tenerife is bigger than you might think. It's the largest island in Spain so it takes a good 90 minutes to get from the top to the bottom of the island I reckon.

I think Sal and I just pointed out a few attractions ranging from the south of the island to the north.:)

Sal
09-12-2011, 21:08
If you have not been before a trip to Masca is a must, small villages on route where you will find local cafes and importantly the people of Tenerife, the views are magnificent. Puerto del la Cruz is a lovely place to visit with its harbour and the Botanical Gardens.
You will find many tour operators who can arrange trips for you and it is well worth exploring the island and just not the tourist areas.:)

Masca is a must..............if budget allows!
Also the north of island should be seen too.

beerfan

In fact, to some extent it's worth staying away from the mass-market tourist areas in my experience. The food's often better for starters.

I think Sal and I just pointed out a few attractions ranging from the south of the island to the north.:)

I understand and appreciate that, just pointing out that we were expecting the island to be fairly small and were a bit taken aback by how large it was (and how much there is to do there).

Sal
Ninety minutes is not much when relaxing on holiday!

beerfan
09-12-2011, 21:10

A three-hour round trip? Fair enough if you're a trucker or something.

I'm just pointing it out when working out how far things are and so on.

Sal
09-12-2011, 21:10

Ecky Thump
09-12-2011, 21:14
Masca is a must..............if budget allows!
Also the north of island should be seen too.

I remember years ago when a trip to Masca was a nightmare with the roads being little more than tracks, even today many people are scared of the winding roads as you climb in a car or bus to the villages, also the area is a must for walkers.

beerfan
09-12-2011, 21:16

True, there's the Autovista which takes 50 minutes to get to the south to the north (I thought it would be longer in fairness) and it's fairly quick and easy. Getting through the mountains though are another matter I think.

Sal
09-12-2011, 21:26
I remember years ago when a trip to Masca was a nightmare with the roads being little more than tracks, even today many people are scared of the winding roads as you climb in a car or bus to the villages, also the area is a must for walkers.

Still worth a visit!

warbey
09-12-2011, 21:48

To see much of Tenerife You would need three Months as Starters.

Size wise, its 48 Miles from the South to Santa Cruz.
I have done it on a Titsa Bus and also by Coach.
Plenty to see and take in.
Loro (Parrot) Park is pricey perhaps, but a must for a lot of Us.
Its not much use meeting Canarians
if Your main aim is Entertainment.

There are Sea trips too readily available .
The whole Island teems with possibilities, including a Deck Chair on a Beach somewhere.
The choice is Yours
Enjoy then go back later on for some more, as a lot of Us have done
All the best

Sal
09-12-2011, 22:24
In fact, to some extent it's worth staying away from the mass-market tourist areas in my experience. The food's often better for starters.

I understand and appreciate that, just pointing out that we were expecting the island to be fairly small and were a bit taken aback by how large it was (and how much there is to do there).

Have you visited Tenerife very much Beerfan?

beerfan
09-12-2011, 22:27
Have you visited Tenerife very much Beerfan?

First time. I've travelled in the other Canary Islands though - been to Lanzarote nine times (and I grew sick of the place as a result) and Fuerteventura once.

Added after 3 minutes:

To see much of Tenerife You would need three Months as Starters.

I doubt you'd need that long. A month should do it, tops.

I have done it on a Titsa Bus and also by Coach.

They don't half go round the houses though.

Plenty to see and take in.

True.

Loro (Parrot) Park is pricey perhaps, but a must for a lot of Us.

Are there any decent deals on? I mean for two people it's €66 for entrance alone which is a hell of an outlay if I may say so.

Its not much use meeting Canarians if Your main aim is Entertainment.

Some people just like a few beers and aren't interested in raucous nightlife.

Ecky Thump
09-12-2011, 22:37

Now I know you are winding us up!,
there are some members of this forum who have been going or living in Tenerife for years and are well travelled that still find many places that they have only just discovered or visited.

beerfan
09-12-2011, 22:40
there are some members of this forum who have been going or living in Tenerife for years and are well travelled that still find many places that they have only just discovered or visited.

I have lived in the UK my whole life and there's entire countries within the UK I haven't visited properly (including Scotland, which I'd like to see). What's your point? It's to be expected that you won't be able to cover everywhere but to get a fairly decent reading of the place a month should do it I think.

Ecky Thump
09-12-2011, 22:49
I have lived in the UK my whole life and there's entire countries within the UK I haven't visited properly (including Scotland, which I'd like to see). What's your point? It's to be expected that you won't be able to cover everywhere but to get a fairly decent reading of the place a month should do it I think.

Warbey posted that....to see much of Tenerife you would need three months as starters.....

You posted......A month should do it tops....

My point is that your statement at face value is ludicrous.

A month, even if you are only in Santa Cruz and you will only scratch the surface.:)

Sal
09-12-2011, 23:24
Warbey posted that....to see much of Tenerife you would need three months as starters.....

You posted......A month should do it tops....

My point is that your statement at face value is ludicrous.

A month, even if you are only in Santa Cruz and you will only scratch the surface.:)

Quite true Ecky! Having been to Tenerife many times, we are still discovering more places to visit. The more you visit, the more fascinating things you find to do!

Added after 2 minutes:

First time. I've travelled in the other Canary Islands though - been to Lanzarote nine times (and I grew sick of the place as a result) and Fuerteventura once.

Added after 3 minutes:

They don't half go round the houses though.

True.

Are there any decent deals on? I mean for two people it's €66 for entrance alone which is a hell of an outlay if I may say so.

Some people just like a few beers and aren't interested in raucous nightlife.

You have no idea beerfan!!!

Ecky Thump
09-12-2011, 23:28
Quite true Ecky! Having been to Tenerife many times, we are still discovering more places to visit. The more you visit, the more fascinating things you find to do!

Sal, if we stayed out of the bars, we would have seen a lot more of the island.:lol:

beerfan
09-12-2011, 23:44
You have no idea beerfan!!!

No, I think it's you who has no idea. If you think paying £30 each for a day out in a safari park with no discount and without transport (that's £10 extra from Puerto de la Cruz!) is a good idea or being sat in a bar called the Red Lion in some ghastly resort drinking John Smiths at €4 a 0,5l (but they'll tell you it's a pint) is your idea of a good holiday then that's your affair. I think it's fair to say that we have radically divergent ideas of what a good holiday should be. Tenerife seems to be big enough for the both of us though. If it isn't there's some other beautiful islands to holiday on. One never gets bored. :)

Santa Cruz is a nice enough place. It's a pity more people don't go up there to see it. :)

marbro8
10-12-2011, 00:03
there are some members of this forum who have been going or living in Tenerife for years and are well travelled that still find many places that they have only just discovered or visited.i agree with you ecky, i think the next 30 years should do it:wink2:

Ecky Thump
10-12-2011, 00:09
i agree with you ecky, i think the next 30 years should do it:wink2:

I've only three years to go then.

By Jove I do feel old now I put that on.:old:

marbro8
10-12-2011, 00:12
I've only three years to go then.

By Jove I do feel old now I put that on.:old:you are as old as the women you feel so judging by that you have another 30 years at least:D

Carol55
10-12-2011, 01:08
you are as old as the women you feel so judging by that you have another 30 years at least:D

Do I take that as a complement, or is there another woman!;)

carl
12-12-2011, 18:10
Sarah,

we are travelling over for the same week as you, we have been coming once or twice a year for about 12 - 13 years.

We do Loro Park every 4 or 5 visit, when you balance the cost of sitting around drinking all day (which we also do a fair amount of) against a day trip the entrance costs isn't that bad. The monkey park is also worth a visit for something to do.

We started going when out kids were 8 and always have to go carting when they are with us, I suspect we'll have to go next week despite them being 21 now.

Another day out we always do is to visit the market in Los Cris and take a slow wander back to Costa Adeje 9where we always stay) along the front, regular stops for a beer are required though.

Santa Cruz is also worth a day or half a day.

One thing we always say we'll do and still haven't is a day trip to La Gomera, we have however been on quite a few boat trips out to see the whales and Dolphins.

We haven't done Siam PArk as water parks aren't thing but I have heard good things about it.

Hope this helps

warbey
12-12-2011, 20:12

Ignorance is Bliss.

beerfan
12-12-2011, 20:36
Ignorance is Bliss.

What else would I need to see in a relatively small place that I couldn't do in a month, say? I'd be interested to know this.

Sharonk
12-12-2011, 22:21
Carl,
Siam Park is definately worth a visit. We did La Gomera about 10 years ago, caught the ferry in Los Cristianos then hired a taxi for the day, he drove us all round the island including taking us for something to eat, well worth it, can't remember what it cost.

GDE
15-12-2011, 11:22

Like Sarah, I will also be having a holiday in the PDLA / Los Cristianos area. I will be there from 27 Dec-7 Jan. But I prefer to do only 1 or maybe 2 excursions. I would like to find some interesting things to do in PDLA / Los Cristianos. Are there any interesting shows or local events? Any interesting nightlife that is not just loud music and drinking?

emskie
15-12-2011, 12:03
Have a look at www.tenerifesunshine.com and you will get a good idea of all there is to do. I can highly recommend Showtime the sound of musicals for a night out, it is excellent!

beerfan
15-12-2011, 19:31
Like Sarah, I will also be having a holiday in the PDLA / Los Cristianos area. I will be there from 27 Dec-7 Jan. But I prefer to do only 1 or maybe 2 excursions. I would like to find some interesting things to do in PDLA / Los Cristianos. Are there any interesting shows or local events? Any interesting nightlife that is not just loud music and drinking?

I wouldn't imagine there is an awful lot to do in PDLA - never been but purpose-built holiday resorts generally aren't that interesting. You might want to look at other parts of the island. Hire a car or get on TITSA if you can? Also, take a look at the Wikitravel entry for Tenerife (http://wikitravel.org/en/Tenerife) for a few more ideas.

warbey
15-12-2011, 21:39

The Area You mention is about three miles long, start to finish.
There's a lot to do and see. Music and Drink is available, so are various good quality
Entertainers.
We are rarely bothered by Music being too loud and I think Older People are well
Accomodated as a whole.

If its a first visit, dont forget |You pay when You go.
Make sure You are aware how much a Round is and not get a nasty surprise..
I am sure You will enjoy Yourself/ves. Most do.

A regular Bus Service runs between these two Places. You can buy a Bonobus Pass which is then inserted in the Machine on the Bus on each Journey
until the Credit runs out. It can be used for Two People too.
Bus Routes round these Resorts are different in Places Travelling the opposite Direction.

Sharonk
16-12-2011, 09:22
There is lots to do in Playa De Las Americas and there are lots of bars and lovely restaurants to suit all tastes. We like walking and the promenade walk is very relaxing, in either direction towards Los Cristianos or Fanabe. We use PDLA as a base and have caught the service bus to Santa Cruz, Los Gigantes, Las Galletas, La Caleta to name a few. We also like to hire a car and explore villages on our way up the mountain or to Puerto De La Cruz.

beerfan
16-12-2011, 13:42
There is lots to do in Playa De Las Americas and there are lots of bars and lovely restaurants to suit all tastes.

That was sort of my point in that apart from bars and restaurants there probably isn't a whole lot to do.

Stoney
17-12-2011, 00:31
You say your coming for a week, not enough time to see this great island in my humble opinion. We have been coming here for 20 years and have lived here on and off for the last 2 years. Best way to see the Island is hire a car, get a good map and drive around it, it also means you can do more trips on your own timetable. Just enjoy visiting the villages and going into the Spanish Tapas Bars sampling the food with a drink, alcoholic if thats what you like or just a freshly squeezed fruit juice. We are retired and visited Siam Park earlier this year had a great time on the water rides, ached a bit the next day but what the heck. If you have young children would suggest the Aqua Park more for them to do. There is a cinema in the Gran Sur shopping centre which shows english films if you don't speak Spanish. A bowling alley in PDLA at the Fanabe Bay shopping precinct. If you are a golfer go to Costa Adeje and play the 9 hole course well worth it. Go to Los Gigantes and take the ferry to Masca just do a round trip or get off and do a bit of walking, sensible walking shoes required. You will see the pilot whales and dolphins for 10 euros and it only takes an hour, fishing and boats trips are also generally cheaper in Los Gigantes. There are various markets to go to Thursday and Saturday in PDLA Sunday in Los Cris. Even a Car boot sale every Sunday in Las Galletas. Santa Cruz has some great areas for shopping, been today and just walked about in the sun, parked in the city centre for free under the Saturn Store. Puerto De La Cruz has the Loro Park well worth a visit and is also a lovely place just to spend the day walking around. El Medano is great Canarian Town and has a lovely beach where you can watch the paragliding etc. If you go up to El Tiede warm clothing essential as it does get cold up there. You can do go karting near Guaza, just get all the leaflets you can from the hotel and see what suits you best.