PDA

View Full Version : Help! I have a computer virus...

cainaries
10-12-2011, 15:19
Oh! Help!

When I went to my Yahoo inbox today it had 98 weird messages in it (mainly 'MAELER DAEMON FAILURE' ones. It seems something has hacked into my address list and sent out all sorts of vile emails to everyone I know.

When I ran a detailed AVAST computer scan it didn't find anything. What to do next, please?

Thanks! The messages went out whilst my computer was turned off, btw.

timmylish
10-12-2011, 15:41
Same thing happened to me a couple of weeks ago. Infiltated my email settings, stole passwords etc in use with that email a/c but nothing else because of course, most of the time I use my VPN which prevents disclosure.
Anyway, you asked for help and all I can do is tell you how I ridded myself and sorted the problem. Before anything else I should mention that Microsoft might be aware of this incursion into your a/c. So, here we go.
Firstly. Change all your passwords and in particular you email a/c. Do letters and numbers in your settings. I know. A real pain in the ..se. However its needed. Whilst on the email a/c you might want to advise close friends of your a/c having been compromised as they will getting emails and d/l,s and being asked to open these up. That is the most dangerous of all. I have to say that a couple of people did contact me (incl. ex-wives!) for clarification. The emails they received were generally begging letters in Spanish and the like.
Secondly, you have now seen that your anti-virus does not work! So, D/l the following ;-
http://www.safer-networking.org/en/download/
Now take the time to read the d/l info. After you have installed this app. again, read thru' the info on how to operate this clean-up. Run a full scan. Now I don,t know if you run your machine with an Admin a/c. If not OK just proceed to run the search and you might be surprised to see what this app. digs up for you. I ran this at least 3 times a day for 3 or 4 days until I was sure that there was nothing left.
Thirdly. And this you may feel you don,t need but nevertheless give it a go. Really worthwhile although once it is running for a couple of months it seems to work less well than when originally installed!
Now that will do for now but come back, if you have more problems, as I have an app. that few people seem to use but I find very handy.

Suej
10-12-2011, 15:50
Oh! Help!

When I went to my Yahoo inbox today it had 98 weird messages in it (mainly 'MAELER DAEMON FAILURE' ones. It seems something has hacked into my address list and sent out all sorts of vile emails to everyone I know.

When I ran a detailed AVAST computer scan it didn't find anything. What to do next, please?

Well unless you are aware that you sent me an email last night Cainaries I had an email in my inbox from you which was sent last night! Glad I didnīt open the link! I have just run a full system scan with Bitdefender full internet security and all is OK. Iīm sure you will get help from someone knowledgable soon.

P.S. Ah! just seen a post from Timmylish hope it helps!

Cairo
10-12-2011, 15:52
Oh! Help!

You spammed me an email last night, but I knew it was spam!

It's probably from a link you opened in an email and it has spammed everyone in your email address book.

atlantico
10-12-2011, 16:21
don't get too alarmed ! Yahoo email is an online email host, therefore unless you download something, any virus can't get into your PC. All yahoo knows about your PC is its IP address, nothing else. All it can do is hack your address book and send out unsolicited emails until it hits a PC.

ps . . . . . I didn't receive an email from you . . . . is that a good or bad thing ??

Suej
10-12-2011, 16:44
don't get too alarmed ! Yahoo email is an online email host, therefore unless you download something, any virus can't get into your PC. All yahoo knows about your PC is its IP address, nothing else. All it can do is hack your address book and send out unsolicited emails until it hits a PC.

ps . . . . . I didn't receive an email from you . . . . is that a good or bad thing ??

Can I take Cainaries off my blocked senders list now? :lol:

cainaries
10-12-2011, 16:56
Thanks everyone and many apologies to the people I unintentionally spammed. I have been trying to work out how it happened when I remembered that I had to use an internet cafe last week where the problem probably occurred. This has made me very nervous now as last time this happened to me someone ran up a huge bill on my AMEX.

More camomile tea required.

In these circumstances, atlantico, I think you should take it as a good thing!!

Since I wasn't on my own computer but on the one in the cafe, does this mean my own computer may not have the virus??

timmylish
10-12-2011, 17:06
Well you can make your own minds up but, since your email a/c has been compromised they have your passwords probably and you mailing lists which, alone may not be too bad but if you opt not to change your passwords and try another method of cleaning up your computer you may find at a later date the {whatever it is} becomes live and does damage to your 'puter.
Best of luck.

Suej
10-12-2011, 17:16
Thanks everyone and many apologies to the people I unintentionally spammed. I have been trying to work out how it happened when I remembered that I had to use an internet cafe last week where the problem probably occurred. This has made me very nervous now as last time this happened to me someone ran up a huge bill on my AMEX.

More camomile tea required.

In these circumstances, atlantico, I think you should take it as a good thing!!

Since I wasn't on my own computer but on the one in the cafe, does this mean my own computer may not have the virus??

I donīt think thereīs any harm in doing what Timmylish suggests tbh Cainaries...change your passwords as a precaution! and download Trusteer Rapport here http://www.trusteer.com/webform/download-rapport itīs free and gives another layer of protection especially when you shop online of use internet banking it will work alongside any Antivirus program. Natwest request that all online customers use this additional security. it will give you reports on everytime your passwords have been used and where it puts a little icon on your websearch bar and you can just right click on the icon to protect that particular password protected site. None of us can ever be too careful eh?!:wink2:

cainaries
10-12-2011, 17:22
I'm sure Suej and timmylish are right and thanks for the advice. It's taking a while to sort out though!

penelope pitstop
10-12-2011, 17:41
Once you have sorted out your current problem download the free Malware Bytes programme, it works along side my free Avast & is so much more efficient for dealing with infections & viruses. You can update it daily, which is recommended. I do a full weekly scan too & it often detects problems that Avast does not.

Good luck

tonypub
10-12-2011, 18:17
Once you have sorted out your current problem download the free Malware Bytes programme, it works along side my free Avast & is so much more efficient for dealing with infections & viruses. You can update it daily, which is recommended. I do a full weekly scan too & it often detects problems that Avast does not.

Good luckgreat advice jaypeeps

Goforgold
10-12-2011, 19:41
I was in a rush when I saw your e mail come in and wasn't thinking - I did think it wasn't the sort of thing you would write. Couldn't open the link so I cut and pasted it into my browser and I had a message come up saying couldn't find server - nothing bad happened yet :)

cainaries
11-12-2011, 00:53
I was in a rush when I saw your e mail come in and wasn't thinking - I did think it wasn't the sort of thing you would write. Couldn't open the link so I cut and pasted it into my browser and I had a message come up saying couldn't find server - nothing bad happened yet :)

Oh dear, I do hope nothing bad happens at all! I am very slowly working my way through 500+ contacts notifying them of my new address. Very slowly working my way ... very slowly ....

Goodnight all ....

timmylish
11-12-2011, 01:08
What operating system are you running? Windows 7 by chance. If so (it works really well with 7) is to install Microsoft Security Essentials to cover the complete computer dealing with virus, malware, trojans and the like. I was shocked at the results when I installed. Several decent sized companies I know of use it as the main source of protection and are very happy with it. Its free, of course!

Goforgold
11-12-2011, 09:38
Oh dear, I do hope nothing bad happens at all! I am very slowly working my way through 500+ contacts notifying them of my new address. Very slowly working my way ... very slowly ....

Goodnight all ....

I presume the e mail address you wrote back on isn't your new one then? I never look at e mail addresses so can't remember your old one!!

How do you change your e mail address then?

timmylish
11-12-2011, 12:13
I presume the e mail address you wrote back on isn't your new one then? I never look at e mail addresses so can't remember your old one!!

GFG. The absolutely safest way, if your previous one was compromised, is to create a new one and NOT make alterations to the existing one.

cainaries
11-12-2011, 12:31
GFG. The absolutely safest way, if your previous one was compromised, is to create a new one and NOT make alterations to the existing one.

Hi timmylish - I really appreciate all the help and advice you are giving me. This is a nightmare though. If I just start to write to some people I know from a new email address it will never reach them as they have complicated security settings. Ironically this means I can write to them from the compromised address but not the new one!

atlantico
11-12-2011, 12:32
am I wrong in saying that a Yahoo email account is ONLINE, and NOT on your PC ?

If so, where's the problem being discussed ?

Unless you've downloaded something ?

Plus most problems are not Virus, they are Spam

cainaries
11-12-2011, 12:33

Hi GFG

I have started a new email account in OH's name but can't currently work out how to transfer all my contacts, emails, inbox, sent box etc. to that account. I really don't want to lose all the information I've got in the compromised Yahoo account though I accept I may have to. Am very down-hearted about it all today.

Sigh.

Goforgold
11-12-2011, 12:36

Hi Timmylish! I didn't realise you know so much about computers - I wish I knew a bit more than I do, but you need the interest which I haven't got. Next time I'm looking for a man I'll make sure he can sort out my aches and pains and my PC!!! ;)

I seem to be ok at the moment, just wondered how you create a new e mail address, do you have that bother of contacting your Provider? I can't change mine, I looked into changing my Provider the other day but as my main e mail address isn't Google or Hotmail it would cause too much trouble having to notify everyone - not too many personal ones but it's the bank, Spotify, LBC, PayPal and all those others - I just don't have the will to be bothered! :(

Added after 6 minutes:

Hi GFG

I have started a new email account in OH's name but can't currently work out how to transfer all my contacts, emails, inbox, sent box etc. to that account. I really don't want to lose all the information I've got in the compromised Yahoo account though I accept I may have to. Am very down-hearted about it all today.

Sigh.

You poor thing - I can understand how you feel :( It's so depressing when things go wrong with this computer lark!!! My monitor keeps flickering and I'm having difficulty getting it to stay on and just that, gets me going as I will need to buy a new monitor very soon!!! I bought my little friend Ģ50 worth of Sims games and we spent all of last night trying to get them to work only to find she needs a Pentium 4 to pay them. Can only send one back as we've opened the other two!!! The thing is she can play The Sims 3 ok but her PC won't support the Expansion Packs!!!! Was really fed up last night I can tell you!!! Flamin' computers - hate them!!! :(

Can you send me an e mail with your new address and I'll see if it comes through? Missing our chats :(

Suej
11-12-2011, 14:44
Hi GFG

Sigh.

Do you know any computer repair people that have remote support? they could probably import all your data and address book in one go! Iīm just thinking of you struggling through when there might be someone who could help do this for you before you go nuts!:goodluck:

cainaries
11-12-2011, 15:27
Do you know any computer repair people that have remote support? they could probably import all your data and address book in one go! Iīm just thinking of you struggling through when there might be someone who could help do this for you before you go nuts!:goodluck:

I don't, unfortunately, and the only ones here on LP are cabezas cuadradas which would make it more complicated I expect. I've written to Yahoo now to ask if there's a way to do it without compromising the new account. Hopefully they might know of a way.

timmylish
11-12-2011, 16:31

GFG. Delete that, if you can. Do not try to open again as its in your browser. Speak later!

Added after 7 minutes:

Goodnight all ....

OK Lets get started. Open up two windows and reduce the size of each. Place your cursor (wee arrow) at the very bottom of your screen and right click. You will be offered various options one of which is "show windows side by side". Now you have two windows open and facing you at the same time. Get you email a/c,s old and new, up on your two adjacent windows. Now you can copy and paste important things and to some extent, perhaps you address book or the like. That will save a bit of time. Remember what GFG told you. She did not notice the name of the address of the email you sent her. Most people are the same so by operating your new a/c using your O/h,s address is irrelevant to others. Its just you thinking different! That will do for starters. END.

Added after 7 minutes:

hi timmylish - i really appreciate all the help and advice you are giving me. This is a nightmare though. If i just start to write to some people i know from a new email address it will never reach them as they have complicated security settings. Ironically this means i can write to them from the compromised address but not the new one!

i don,t understand this one. If you have the correct address for them any mail you send/write them will reach them unless it contained anything suspicious.

Added after 2 minutes:

Hi GFG

Sigh.

Think I,ve dealt with this already!

Added after 10 minutes:

Hi Timmylish! I didn't realise you know so much about computers - I wish I knew a bit more than I do, but you need the interest which I haven't got. Next time I'm looking for a man I'll make sure he can sort out my aches and pains and my PC!!! ;)

I seem to be ok at the moment, just wondered how you create a new e mail address, do you have that bother of contacting your Provider? I can't change mine, I looked into changing my Provider the other day but as my main e mail address isn't Google or Hotmail it would cause too much trouble having to notify everyone - not too many personal ones but it's the bank, Spotify, LBC, PayPal and all those others - I just don't have the will to be bothered! :(

Added after 6 minutes:

You poor thing - I can understand how you feel :( It's so depressing when things go wrong with this computer lark!!! My monitor keeps flickering and I'm having difficulty getting it to stay on and just that, gets me going as I will need to buy a new monitor very soon!!! I bought my little friend Ģ50 worth of Sims games and we spent all of last night trying to get them to work only to find she needs a Pentium 4 to pay them. Can only send one back as we've opened the other two!!! The thing is she can play The Sims 3 ok but her PC won't support the Expansion Packs!!!! Was really fed up last night I can tell you!!! Flamin' computers - hate them!!! :(

Can you send me an e mail with your new address and I'll see if it comes through? Missing our chats :(

GFG. Consider one thing. You have never ever had an email a/c and to-day you decide you want one! What do you do. First select which provider from all the hosts out there. Now you know that you can only use one. That,s OK. Go to that provider and go to "new a/c" or"open new a/c" or whatever you did the first time. Now take you old a/c name but this time put "2011" at the end of the name you use and ask for that to be accepted. (Now whichever year you put is up to you but the addition of numbers increases the security of your sign-in to your new a/c). You may be asked to confirm twice that the info is correct. Do that and now you have a new a/c! Use it in tandem with your old one until the old one loses any relevance, after a period of time. END.

Goforgold
11-12-2011, 17:04
GFG. Consider one thing. You have never ever had an email a/c and to-day you decide you want one! What do you do. First select which provider from all the hosts out there. Now you know that you can only use one. That,s OK. Go to that provider and go to "new a/c" or"open new a/c" or whatever you did the first time. Now take you old a/c name but this time put "2011" at the end of the name you use and ask for that to be accepted. (Now whichever year you put is up to you but the addition of numbers increases the security of your sign-in to your new a/c). You may be asked to confirm twice that the info is correct. Do that and now you have a new a/c! Use it in tandem with your old one until the old one loses any relevance, after a period of time. END.

I know you're only trying to help but you've lost me with this.

I already have an e mail account, I was just wondering how Cainaries sets a new one up in Yahoo her present Provider. I don't want to change my e mail address as don't want the trouble of having to notify everyone.

tenerental
11-12-2011, 17:09
Oh! Help!

You may have all the answers you want, but having read the thread I don't think the explanations have been very clear.

Yahoo (as with Hotmail, Google, etc.) is a web based email account so the emails do not get downloaded to your PC (or other). Therefore you do not have a virus and no anti-virus product will solve this problem.
The problem is that your email account has been hacked, as you have identified. How so? The likelihood is that in the Internet cafe there was a program recording keystrokes. The hacker would have got your valid email address together with the password.
Now, IF you can change your password, then do so. The hacker will be missing a key element in accessing your account, if they wished to do so again. IF you are unable to change your password, then the hacker may have already done so and you have no alternative but to let that email address go.
You will not get a virus on your PC from this situation, unless you click on a link from an unsafe source.

Goforgold
11-12-2011, 17:16
You may have all the answers you want, but having read the thread I don't think the explanations have been very clear.

Yahoo (as with Hotmail, Google, etc.) is a web based email account so the emails do not get downloaded to your PC (or other). Therefore you do not have a virus and no anti-virus product will solve this problem.
The problem is that your email account has been hacked, as you have identified. How so? The likelihood is that in the Internet cafe there was a program recording keystrokes. The hacker would have got your valid email address together with the password.
Now, IF you can change your password, then do so. The hacker will be missing a key element in accessing your account, if they wished to do so again. IF you are unable to change your password, then the hacker may have already done so and you have no alternative but to let that email address go.
You will not get a virus on your PC from this situation, unless you click on a link from an unsafe source.

Thanks for the explanation, I understand a little more now.

Should it be possible for Cainairies to export her addresses/contacts to a new e mail address if she finds she has to have one, without copying and pasting everything. This has been done for me in the past but not sure how easy it would be for Cainaries to do it.

Suej
11-12-2011, 17:22
I don't, unfortunately, and the only ones here on LP are cabezas cuadradas which would make it more complicated I expect. I've written to Yahoo now to ask if there's a way to do it without compromising the new account. Hopefully they might know of a way.

Cainaries do listen to Tenerental he has helped me solve lots of pc issues in the past!:wink2:

cainaries
11-12-2011, 18:53

Hi thanks for this. I changed the password to the compromised email a/c but I got another of the maeler daemon emails after I'd done it so I'm worried that hasn't done the trick. I've emailed yahoo to report the problem and also to ask if I can transfer the contents. Thanks for your help.

markcuk
11-12-2011, 20:39
Hello

I have been reading this thread for a while and I have found it all a bit confusing. but it can be done

Now you can move all your mail and contacts from yahoo to another provider say hotmail to do this follow this link https://secure5.trueswitch.com/winlive/ just open a hotmail account first.

or

transfer your existing yahoo emails and contacts to a different yahoo account here https://secure5.trueswitch.com/yahoo/
if you do this option make sure you sign in with the new address!

Cheers

Mark

Added after 30 minutes:

I donīt think thereīs any harm in doing what Timmylish suggests tbh Cainaries...change your passwords as a precaution! and download Trusteer Rapport here http://www.trusteer.com/webform/download-rapport itīs free and gives another layer of protection especially when you shop online of use internet banking it will work alongside any Antivirus program. Natwest request that all online customers use this additional security. it will give you reports on everytime your passwords have been used and where it puts a little icon on your websearch bar and you can just right click on the icon to protect that particular password protected site. None of us can ever be too careful eh?!:wink2:

Just a quick shout out about this software. I have had to remove this software from a lot of customers computers in the last couple of months.

Yes it works on most setups but can cause lots of mischief when it doesnt want to play like Blue screens and slow downs (I have seen this cause trouble on xp,vista and win7) so just be careful if you do install it.

atlantico
11-12-2011, 21:37
Ok, so now everyones agreeing what I said at the start . . . . . .at the top of this thread . . . . . Yahoo is online NOT on your PC, hence no virus

Agree with Rapport, all my banks say to download it but it slows my PC down and keeps blocking harmless stuff. The banks are saying to use it so they can say 'told you so' and 'we tried to help' if/when something goes wrong. Its just to cover their ****

cainaries
11-12-2011, 21:44
Ok, so now everyones agreeing what I said at the start . . . . . .at the top of this thread . . . . . Yahoo is online NOT on your PC, hence no virus

Agree with Rapport, all my banks say to download it but it slows my PC down and keeps blocking harmless stuff. The banks are saying to use it so they can say 'told you so' and 'we tried to help' if/when something goes wrong. Its just to cover their ****

Hi Atlantico

I'm very relieved that I don't seem to have the virus on the laptop. But this doesn't alter the fact that I (or rather not me but someone pretending to be me) has emailed everyone I know and sent them something dodgy. And a few people have written with some very sharp emails back which is a bit upsetting.

Thanks for the moral support and still loving the kindle cover!

Added after 18 minutes:

Hi Markcuk

Thanks for the trueswitch link but it hasn't worked. I suspect Yahoo may have blocked something on the compromised account since I wrote to them. I'll wait until I hear from them before trying again. Thanks for your help.

markcuk
11-12-2011, 22:25
funny enough I am having trouble testing it

works gmail to hotmail but can not get it to work for yahoo

I have found this site that will move your emails http://www.yippiemove.com/index.html but is not free

markcuk
12-12-2011, 18:08
Hi All

Ok I found the perfect free software which can archive your emails then upload them back to a different account

http://www.mailstore.com/en/mailstore-home.aspx

Download the above software the server settings for Yahoo are imap.mail.yahoo.com

once exported back into yahoo your emails will be in a folder.

One thing your anti virus might detect viruses when downloading the emails mine did but dont worry.

I have just tried this with my yahoo account and it does work

Cheers

Mark

Suej
12-12-2011, 18:52

Iīve had absolutely no problems with using Rapport on a 6 year lappy and my new one! having said that when I downloaded Expat shield once it completely messed up my laptop but it seems others have had no problem with it so who knows with these downloads?!:dontknow:

cainaries
12-12-2011, 21:26
Hi All

Ok I found the perfect free software which can archive your emails then upload them back to a different account

http://www.mailstore.com/en/mailstore-home.aspx

Download the above software the server settings for Yahoo are imap.mail.yahoo.com

once exported back into yahoo your emails will be in a folder.

One thing your anti virus might detect viruses when downloading the emails mine did but dont worry.

I have just tried this with my yahoo account and it does work

Cheers

Mark

Hi Mark ... I am so grateful to you for all your help. I am trying the yippie system right now but it sent me a message to say it couldn't do it because yahoo has suspended my NEW yahoo account. I'm going to wait and see what the morning brings on that one. I'll try the other one when I'm feeling calm and thank you so much again for all this advice. Really kind of you.

markcuk
12-12-2011, 22:35
Thanks if you have problems just PM me.

Also have you tried to log into your new account?