PDA

View Full Version : Animal Chat Dogs and cats off to Germany info please.

YOUNG GOLFER
08-06-2011, 19:06
I am very interested as to how this works we know of dogs and cats going to Germany buy why is it only there.

Does any other country take animals from here?

Why are the Germans so keen on taking cats and dogs from here?

Who pays for all this?

I understand some of it but would really like to know more about it and i think it might be good info for forum members to read to.

starling
08-06-2011, 20:22
So would I ???. Seems v-e-r-y strange ???

Suej
08-06-2011, 20:27
So would I ???. Seems v-e-r-y strange ???

The cost of transporting animals to Germany is a lot cheaper! they also have TV advertising and Animal Charity organisations that advertise that these animals are in desperate need of homes. I think but not 100% sure that animals cannot be bought in pet shops in Germany.

starling
08-06-2011, 21:06
The cost of transporting animals to Germany is a lot cheaper! they also have TV advertising and Animal Charity organisations that advertise that these animals are in desperate need of homes. I think but not 100% sure that animals cannot be bought in pet shops in Germany.

Hope that's so. But surely a country as big as Germany - and not unlike the UK would have enough abandonned dogs there to cope with without importing them ???

YOUNG GOLFER
08-06-2011, 21:33
Thats one of the strange things why has Germany come to the Aid of the problems here in Tenerife.

Suej
08-06-2011, 21:36
Thats one of the strange things why has Germany come to the Aid of the problems here in Tenerife.I don´t know about dogs but some of the cats here are are quite unique in colour and looks...maybe that´s an attraction???

atlantico
08-06-2011, 22:32
and . . . . . with all the British rescue centres over here . . . . maybe the Germans think the same of us ??

Cat Woman
08-06-2011, 22:43
All the details are on one of the links on my Charity Website when it goes live in a few days. www.cats-welfare-tenerife.com
Sharon.

SuzyQ
09-06-2011, 02:20
We have worked with the Germans for many years. There are not the abandonment issues there thankfully, and there is an actual demand for pets. Look at www.livearico.eu Its fab to see our doggies running around in gardens and even snow. Pictures of our dogs go on the website and only when a family is found does the dog go. As there are not the rabies restrictions there once a home is found the animal can go very quickly. Remember Madat found a home for Bobby the Yorkie, and within a couple of weeks he was away on his plane. Personally, I think anything that gets animals off this over populated island, and into loving homes abroad is a good thing. Long may it continue.

astara
09-06-2011, 09:29
I have also been 'told' ( dont shoot the messenger here- it was a german customer) that the germans like our wide selection of cross breeds, as they are not widely available in germany - having only pure breeds available - ( !!!!!!!!!)

However we have sent the odd doggy or more to u.k. - it just takes a lot longer with the 6 month wait for rabies checks, & the cost which often requires fund raising. EG Dodo who is going to blackpool in september ( our lovely Grt Dane x) is costing approx 1000 euros which all takes time & lots of effort to raise.

Graceylacey
09-06-2011, 14:12
When Cat Woman came to see me with the little kitty that we are fostering, she offered to help find homes for my kittens. I am happy to know that 3 of them maybe going to Germany so long as I know that they are going to be looked after well and that they will be happy and loved.

Surely this is better than me trying to find homes for them here and then more and more kittens here if the people who have them dont get them done.

Before you all shoot me down for having kittens, our cat ´found´us and adopted herself to us, she ran off whilst she was still very very young and when she arrived back we were very surprised to see her. A few weeks later we realised that she was pregnant. I was told that I could have had them aborted, but I didnt feel this was fair on my cat seeing as she was only a week away from having them by then.

She has been a great Mum, she has accepted the foster kitten, and if Cat Woman can help me to find decent homes for them I dont think there has been any harm done.

The good its done, is show my children how to learn after kittens carefully, how important life is, a kitten have been saved, and that to my outweighs the bad!

DJ Dangerous
09-06-2011, 14:27
When Cat Woman came to see me with the little kitty that we are fostering, she offered to help find homes for my kittens. I am happy to know that 3 of them maybe going to Germany so long as I know that they are going to be looked after well and that they will be happy and loved.

Surely this is better than me trying to find homes for them here and then more and more kittens here if the people who have them dont get them done.

Before you all shoot me down for having kittens, our cat ´found´us and adopted herself to us, she ran off whilst she was still very very young and when she arrived back we were very surprised to see her. A few weeks later we realised that she was pregnant. I was told that I could have had them aborted, but I didnt feel this was fair on my cat seeing as she was only a week away from having them by then.

She has been a great Mum, she has accepted the foster kitten, and if Cat Woman can help me to find decent homes for them I dont think there has been any harm done.

The good its done, is show my children how to learn after kittens carefully, how important life is, a kitten have been saved, and that to my outweighs the bad!

If they go to Germany, it is more likely to be MaDaT (https://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/madat.tenerife) who are responsible for finding homes, arranging flights, and caring for the kittens while here.

L'Esperanza were at one stage re-homing dogs in Germany and Belgium, but I have been told that they no longer do so.

There has been no harm done - it is simply the opportunity cost - as there are a finite number of homes and flights, one kitten flies at the expense of another (https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=151783588227526&set=a.150856741653544.39206.100001876565626&type=1&theater). Sad but true.

cainaries
09-06-2011, 14:47
We rescued a dog here on La Palma - or to be more accurate, it found us and begged for a home. We couldn't keep it and our vet put us in contact with a German woman here who arranges for strays to be re-homed in Germany. We had to pay for the vaccinations and to have it neutered and she found it a home within 2 weeks in the country somewhere in Germany with lots of land for it to run about in. I understood from her that the dogs are carried as pets by home-going passengers provided they fit in a carrier small enough to go in the cabin. I might be wrong but I don't think British airlines allow people to take pets in the aircraft cabins which is why they have to have special sections built for them in the hold, then that has to be heated and they need staff to load them and unload them etc. It's a rule that could be relaxed imo. I don't think there was much of a charge for the flight, €30 or something like that.

Graceylacey
10-06-2011, 14:12
If they go to Germany, it is more likely to be MaDaT (https://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/madat.tenerife) who are responsible for finding homes, arranging flights, and caring for the kittens while here.

L'Esperanza were at one stage re-homing dogs in Germany and Belgium, but I have been told that they no longer do so.

There has been no harm done - it is simply the opportunity cost - as there are a finite number of homes and flights, one kitten flies at the expense of another (https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=151783588227526&set=a.150856741653544.39206.100001876565626&type=1&theater). Sad but true.

But what I dont understand is why would my kittens going to Germany be at the expense of others wanting to be sent there? Sorry to sound thick, but to me if Cat Woman has offered to do this, I thought that it would be because they are wanted over there and she was organising it. I feel now as if I am doing something wrong by taking her up on her offer :confused::confused::confused:

Suej
10-06-2011, 14:30
My opinion for what it´s worth regarding kittens being sent to Germany or anywhere! is if anyone should find their cat pregnant is to get her neutered immediately kittens can be aborted literately up to when they are ready to give birth (obviously sooner is better than later) this is a far better/kinder option than being forced to pass the kittens on to a refuge and them then trying to find good homes for 5 or 6 kittens and there is no guarantee the kittens will successfully be homed, that is when it becomes a massive strain on the refuges finances as they are then left to pick up the tab...it´s a no win situation for cats or refuge. The cost involved in keeping a kitten or sending it abroad far outweighs the cost of a simple operation...it´s a no brainer. My Spanish neighbour deliberately let her cat have kittens 5 of them, she was adamant she would find homes for them, when unsuccessful and didn´t want to keep them any longer she gave them to a pet shop only 1 of the 5 was fortunate the other 4 were destroyed. How does this make any sense?:confused:

doreen
10-06-2011, 15:02
But what I dont understand is why would my kittens going to Germany be at the expense of others wanting to be sent there? Sorry to sound thick, but to me if Cat Woman has offered to do this, I thought that it would be because they are wanted over there and she was organising it. I feel now as if I am doing something wrong by taking her up on her offer :confused::confused::confused:

As Suej says, there is no guarantee of a home in Germany ... and there are already many waiting in the "queue". Madat have posted on their Facebook page that there are full and pleaded that no more cats or kittens be brought to them.

I'm afraid, it really would have been a better option to have to have prevented the births ... now there are 4 more mouths to feed (and not cheaply, as I have recently discovered), vaccinate, blood tests, passports, hoping for a flight or is there a home for them in Tenerife.

livearico
10-06-2011, 16:11
Is not only germany the fly to other contry like austria, or swizerland or holland, belgium where people are intersting in dogs or cats.
live arico send dogs or cats to family direct, other send to refuge too.

Suej
10-06-2011, 16:52
Here is an informative article...
http://www.friendsofanimals.org/programs/spay-neuter/dont-delay.html

Graceylacey
10-06-2011, 21:54
Well my kittens wont be going anywhere unless I know that they have homes to go to albeit here or in Germany. So it will be my responsibility to feed them vaccinate them and as soon as Tiggy can be done she will be. It may be costing me money but as she is my responsibilty it is my problem.

I will be looking more into the German part, as I am not having my kittens just sent to a refuge whilst waiting in hope for a home in Germany. They are like I say before my responsibilty and they have a perfectly good home here for now. If I dont get them re homed, I will end up with 4 extra kitties in my house, but they will all get neutered and they will all be looked after. But I have to say I felt that Cat Woman was only offering to help as she knew that she could get them a home. I am getting a sense of something here and so will be looking into everything before I make a decision.

SueJ, just to say I didnt ´allow´ Tiggy to get pregnant, she ran off for a week and we honestly thought she had gone for good, we had put posters up around our area and we had contacted the local vets. We were chuffed to bits for getting her back especially as we were moving house the following day!!

Suej
10-06-2011, 22:19
Well my kittens wont be going anywhere unless I know that they have homes to go to albeit here or in Germany. So it will be my responsibility to feed them vaccinate them and as soon as Tiggy can be done she will be. It may be costing me money but as she is my responsibilty it is my problem.

I will be looking more into the German part, as I am not having my kittens just sent to a refuge whilst waiting in hope for a home in Germany. They are like I say before my responsibilty and they have a perfectly good home here for now. If I dont get them re homed, I will end up with 4 extra kitties in my house, but they will all get neutered and they will all be looked after. But I have to say I felt that Cat Woman was only offering to help as she knew that she could get them a home. I am getting a sense of something here and so will be looking into everything before I make a decision.

SueJ, just to say I didnt ´allow´ Tiggy to get pregnant, she ran off for a week and we honestly thought she had gone for good, we had put posters up around our area and we had contacted the local vets. We were chuffed to bits for getting her back especially as we were moving house the following day!!

I actually said in my post Graceylady that my Spanish neighbour deliberately allowed her cat to get pregnant, nothing to do with your circumstances, you did say in your first post that your cat ran off. :confused:

With the best will in the world no refuge can guarantee that a kitten will be homed, the Kittens can and do grow into adult cats that often have to spend their lives in a refuge, it´s a sad fact :(

Graceylacey
10-06-2011, 22:25
Ok, sorry then!!! Just feel like I am a bad person for not aborting the kittens.:stupid:

Suej
10-06-2011, 22:35
Ok, sorry then!!! Just feel like I am a bad person for not aborting the kittens.:stupid:

No apology necessary. Lets hope they find good homes eh?;) Don´t feel bad you´re doing your best in a very difficult situation.

astara
10-06-2011, 22:41
Of course your not a bad person, you took the cat in to begin with - its not a black & white subject animal welfare, & everybody will have their own views.. You are now doing the responsible thing & are concerned. I for one applaud you ..

Suej
10-06-2011, 23:10
Of course your not a bad person, you took the cat in to begin with - its not a black & white subject animal welfare, & everybody will have their own views.. You are now doing the responsible thing & are concerned. I for one applaud you ..

I actually do agree with you Astara, morally, a lot of people would feel exactly the same as Graceylady and my posts have no reference to her situation at all. :)

Graceylacey
10-06-2011, 23:44
Thanks I feel a little better now!!! By the way the little foster kitten's eyes are starting to open!!

caroletenerife
11-06-2011, 00:21
Thanks I feel a little better now!!! By the way the little foster kitten's eyes are starting to open!!
Im glad little kitty is doing well, you should be proud of yourself for taking her in, your showing a great example of compassion to your children. It would have taken a cold, cold heart to have walked past that kitten and let it slowly die at the side of the road in the summer heat, as it has turned out, several people cared enough to help it. And when her eyes do open she will be looking at the woman that literally saved her life, so be proud of yourself xx

DJ Dangerous
11-06-2011, 03:47
But what I dont understand is why would my kittens going to Germany be at the expense of others wanting to be sent there?

It is simply the opportunity cost - as there are a finite number of homes and flights, one kitten flies at the expense of another (https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=151783588227526&set=a.150856741653544.39206.100001876565626&type=1&theater). Sad but true.

MaDaT have something like fifty kittens in need of homes at the moment. It's likely that a lot of those will go to homes in Germany, eventually.

Each kitten added to the list is taking one of the available places, when it arises - and it's a matter of the flight going to the correct airport, as not all airports are included, finding a passenger willing to take the kitten back with them, and finding a home for the kitten - and all three factors need to happen at the same time...

No point sending a kitten if a home hasn't been found, and no use finding a home if there are no flights available with willing passengers...

Graceylacey
11-06-2011, 07:25
That's exactly what I've said DJ, I'm only going to let her have the kittens if it's not at the expense of others waiting, if it's not via Madat and if they have definate flights and homes.

They have a good home here with me until a home can be found.

So can people stop judging me now?

Oh and if anyone wants a kitten I have some!!! Only serious homes required with people willing to get the cats neutred.

Suej
11-06-2011, 10:26
That's exactly what I've said DJ, I'm only going to let her have the kittens if it's not at the expense of others waiting, if it's not via Madat and if they have definate flights and homes.

They have a good home here with me until a home can be found.

Oh and if anyone wants a kitten I have some!!! Only serious homes required with people willing to get the cats neutred.

Can you put some pics of the kittens on here Graceylady? How old are they now?

DJ Dangerous
11-06-2011, 10:49

I only stop judging people after they buy me a fry-up...

Graceylacey
12-06-2011, 01:33
Ive offered before DJ but you stood me up!!!! Your turn to ask me ;)

They are 2 weeks old and the little one is about 11 or 12 days!

I'll try to take a photo today after sork.