PDA

View Full Version : Ryanair are set to increase their checked bag fees

Balcony
12-12-2011, 17:30
Just read this via Aol newsfeed:

The cost of checking in a bag on Ryanair is set to go sky high, in some cases to the tune of £100 return.

The 'budget' airline is now pricing check-in luggage based on whether you're flying during high or low season, with baggage check-in during high season dates at premium rates.

From December 15, the current £15 cost of a 15kg checked in bag will jump to £20 during peak times from June to September and on selected lines (Canary Islands, Kos, Rhodes, Volos and Larnaca) up to £25. Those intending to make a break for it this Christmas will also be snagged, as the festive period is now deemed peak season with the higher rates in effect from December 21 until January 4 2012.

For those checking in a 15kg bag at the airport, the fee will also jump by £25 to £60 in off-peak times and increase by £60 to £100 per piece of luggage during peak travel times.

Another eye-watering levy is the airline's charge for a boarding card reissue. From January 15, 2012, the fee will increase from £40 to £60 per person per flight. So if you're flying solo with a bag during peak rates and forget your boarding card, it'll cost you £100. Even worse if you're travelling as a group – even if you've booked your bags beforehand, a family of five who forget their boarding cards could be hit with a £300 charge, before the holiday has even begun.

While Ryanair bills itself as being the largest low fares airline, consumers can get snagged if they're not shopping smartly. Here are some tips to make sure you really are getting the lowest fares around.

Tips on making the most of Ryanair offers
1. Don't believe the hype.
Take the time to shop around and make sure their offering is genuinely the cheapest available. Other carriers such as British Airways and Easyjet will surprise you with excellent offers once all the costs are in.

2. Show due diligence.
While the flights might seem cheap at first, run the transaction through to the point before purchase, adding in online check-in fees, tax levies, text message confirmation, priority booking, bags etc - once all costs are in, it can leave you priced well out of the low fares bracket.

3. Timings
Try and avoid travel and peak times if at all possible. The flights will be more expensive, as will your bags and the likelihood is your accommodation at the other end will be pricier too. It might be harder to do with kids in tow, but remember there'll be an added £5 on every bag minimum and if you're travelling on one of the higher priced lines in peak season, it will bring the cost of a family of five's luggage up to £250 return.

4. Airport location
Consider why your flight is so cheap. Often times the cost of getting from the airport to the centre of the city or location you're visiting can outweigh the bargain that you're being offered, so a little research can help you weigh up your options.

5. Remember your boarding card
Being slapped with £60 (from January 15, 2012) for forgetting your boarding card is a horrible way to start a holiday, so always remember to print it off and double check before leaving your house. If you do forget it, chances are there will be a computer with a printer somewhere around the airport for passengers in the same position. Ask at the airport information desk if there are any printing facilities available..

penelope pitstop
12-12-2011, 20:00
Ryanair are a disgrace. I never have & never will fly with them. Michael O'Leary should be ashamed of his attitude towards his passengers. If anyone ever saw their staff training video on here months ago it was a real eye opener. Would be cabin staff actually have to pay over £1000 to be trained, then are given answers to questions during exams, they also take the p... out of their passengers.We nearly always fly with Easyjet. Ryanair just rob people with their extra charges; the people who fly with them should shop around, as they aren't the cheapest by far with all their add ons!

Ecky Thump
12-12-2011, 20:18
Ryanair are a disgrace. I never have & never will fly with them.!

Oh dear, does that mean we now have two forum members who we won't have the pleasure of sharing a journey with...PP and JP.

British Airways to Tenerife, 19 Jan 2012 only £938 single + a few little add ons, but as their flight will probably be fully booked, I will have to resort to flying with Uncle Mick again. :p

Just read what is printed and abide by his rules and Ryanair is generally a great airline, that offers good value for money.:)

penelope pitstop
12-12-2011, 20:23
I am fed up with all the sh.. dished out on here by people who don't know me, about time the Mods did something about it. All so unnecessary, about time you all grew up!

Ecky Thump
12-12-2011, 20:28
I am fed up with all the sh.. dished out on here by people who don't know me, about time the Mods did something about it. All so unnecessary, about time you all grew up!

Maybe Uncle Mick is fed up as well, but so as that I don't upset you any further and just for you, I will put you on my ignore list, which is something you may consider doing as it may be of benefit to you.:)

Arenquerojo
12-12-2011, 21:05
Methinks Ecky Thump is a tad too keen on his Uncle Mick!
Ecky, I guess you will be paid by the post but really you need to watch the wording if you expect the great unwashed to believe you are just another happy punter...

dokgolf
12-12-2011, 21:18
Interesting username Arenquerojo!
I also hate all the add-ons but Ryanair invariably work out cheaper for me. Once you get to know the rules, you can avoid a lot of the extortionate fees

Ecky Thump
12-12-2011, 21:45
Methinks Ecky Thump is a tad too keen on his Uncle Mick!
Ecky, I guess you will be paid by the post but really you need to watch the wording if you expect the great unwashed to believe you are just another happy punter...

If you think I am one of Ryanair's disciples, you should check out SusieF's posts, now Susie should have free flights for years to come, but given the bargains that she finds with Ryanair it would not matter to her that much.;)

Susief
12-12-2011, 22:02
If you think I am one of Ryanair's disciples, you should check out SusieF's posts, now Susie should have free flights for years to come, but given the bargains that she finds with Ryanair it would not matter to her that much.;)

I am defo one of Uncle Micks disciples!

We have been over to Tenerife 4 times in the past 12 months! Without his cheaper flights we would be stuck with the likes of Monarch/Jet2.

I fly out tom with RA and it has cost £60 for a one way flight with 20k of baggage! It would cost me more on the train to London!

People can say what they like about RA. Just read the T&C's and stick to them and you won't go wrong!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ecky Thump
12-12-2011, 22:09
[QUOTE=Susief;125223]I am defo one of Uncle Micks disciples!

We have been over to Tenerife 4 times in the past 12 months! Without his cheaper flights we would be stuck with the likes of Monarch/Jet2.

I fly out tom with RA and it has cost £60 for a one way flight with 20k of baggage! It would cost me more on the train to London!

People can say what they like about RA. Just read the T&C's and stick to them and you won't go wrong!

Sent from my iphone using Tapatalk[QUOTE]

I knew we would flush you out, have a good flight and holiday.:)

Susief
12-12-2011, 22:22
I knew we would flush you out, have a good flight and holiday.:)

Lol. Am sure Uncle Mick wont be losing any sleep because some people prefer Easyjet!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tfs1
12-12-2011, 22:45
Just registered and found this thread. As you have said, follow the rules and you won't have a problem and like most of the other 75m+ Ryanair customers this year I too am a MOL follower.

A friend of ours moans and moans about Ryanair but is not that proud as he fly's with them rather than pay the Eayjet/Jet2 fares !

My wife popped over to Tenerife to join me on holiday and the flight cost £28, one way. She was nearly tempted to buy a £2.80 cup of tea onboard but had previiously bought some food/drink airside before she boarded and passed on the tea 'offer'.

Its really simple to save on those little extras - you just need to think in advance, regular Ryanair passengers are able to do that.

good night

irishmusico
12-12-2011, 22:56
Bring carry on luggage,check in on line,print out your own boarding pass.Buy your shampoo and other bits when you get there/here,arrive at the airport,don't queue to check in,don't queue to get on the plane.Its really simple.

One other thing,make sure you listen to anyone who hates Ryanair so much,that they have never used them,because they definitely know what they are talking about ;)

beerfan
12-12-2011, 22:56
A friend of ours moans and moans about Ryanair but is not that proud as he fly's with them rather than pay the Eayjet/Jet2 fares !

I would rather use slEazyJet or Jet2 over Ryanair. Doesn't cost that much more in the end anyway. Despite that I quite like Michael O'Leary actually, mainly because his personality is quite abrasive and to the point.

karinagal
13-12-2011, 00:00
I've just come back from my 9th return trip to Tenerife this year. 7 returns with Ryanair, 2 returns with Jet2. Choices between the 2 came down to cost and that means for the dates I booked, 7 out of 9 times Ryanair were cheaper (even after the little add-ons).

If I remember rightly, 6 out of those 7 Ryanair flights were on time or early too....!

I'll be honest - it doesn't bother me when 'people' come on here spouting their hatred for all things Ryanair - if they choose not to fly with them, that improves my chance of an empty seat beside me where I can put my in flight entertainment plus food/drinks!! :p :D :p

duracell290
13-12-2011, 01:39
Its always the fools who don't really know what they are at, who get caught. Search well in advance get the good price and book it like the rest of us, and I bet you wont find a better price than Uncle Mick gives.

But if you want to bring a 20Kg case to TFS for a week (€30) or 2 week holiday, you should really look in a mirror, (start jogging in January) or rent a place that has a washing machine and a tumble dryer, then visit places only once over your visit, Its not a lot to be happy. The weather here is so good anybody can easily carry on board 10 kg of clothes, Freely.

Grow up and be realistic or just pay up, and shut up, KLM, Air France and BA will be happy. You must all get SO much for nothing you want everything for nothing.

Good man Uncle Mick, I just wish you did charge for the toilets too. LOL

beerfan
13-12-2011, 01:43
Good man Uncle Mick, I just wish you did charge for the toilets too. LOL

He'd be risking people letting loose in the aisles if he did that.

caroletenerife
13-12-2011, 02:12
Im away home 22nd to 4th Jan, 110 return fare (thats one bag on return journey). Like it has been stated, stick to the rules and theres not a problem. Fast forward to Uk train travel...70 quid from edinburgh to arbroath....now thats extortion right there!!!!

Added after 7 minutes:

and while i'm at it, by far the most annoying thing about Ryan air are the numpty's that stuff full their hand luggage, thinking they wont get caught, then hold up the queues and make fools of themselves playing 'lets repack the dirty underwear' in the vain hope that it will weigh less in different carrier bag.

Angusjim
13-12-2011, 13:14
Ryanair are a disgrace. I never have & never will fly with them. Michael O'Leary should be ashamed of his attitude towards his passengers. If anyone ever saw their staff training video on here months ago it was a real eye opener. Would be cabin staff actually have to pay over £1000 to be trained, then are given answers to questions during exams, they also take the p... out of their passengers.We nearly always fly with Easyjet. Ryanair just rob people with their extra charges; the people who fly with them should shop around, as they aren't the cheapest by far with all their add ons!

Why does everyone bang on about the "extra charges" what do they matter its the bottom line price you look at and I find that 95% time that Ryanair are way cheaper than the opposition ( well thats in Scotland anyway). Long live Susie's uncle Mick

Added after 33 minutes:

Im away home 22nd to 4th Jan, 110 return fare (thats one bag on return journey). Like it has been stated, stick to the rules and theres not a problem. Fast forward to Uk train travel...70 quid from edinburgh to arbroath....now thats extortion right there!!!!

Added after 7 minutes:

and while i'm at it, by far the most annoying thing about Ryan air are the numpty's that stuff full their hand luggage, thinking they wont get caught, then hold up the queues and make fools of themselves playing 'lets repack the dirty underwear' in the vain hope that it will weigh less in different carrier bag.

Carole I use train quite a lot Dundee - Edinburgh and its normally around £25 return £70 sounds a lot did you try booking via trainline

junglejim
13-12-2011, 18:54
Why does everyone bang on about the "extra charges" what do they matter its the bottom line price you look at and I find that 95% time that Ryanair are way cheaper than the opposition ( well thats in Scotland anyway). Long live Susie's uncle Mick

Added after 33 minutes:

Carole I use train quite a lot Dundee - Edinburgh and its normally around £25 return £70 sounds a lot did you try booking via trainline
Hi Aj , hope you're well - just got back to Alba today via Ryanair cheapest flight and 60% full and on time - booked return for Jan 9th ,£46 for 2 one way no suitcase .
Usually are the cheapest for West of Scotland as long as you watch rules and make your own Sandwiches !!

caroletenerife
13-12-2011, 19:28

Added after 33 minutes:

cheers, yeh i meant return, but i'm opting for Megabus 7.50 each way, and their buses are usually heated, unlike most trains i have been on.

Ecky Thump
13-12-2011, 21:33
If I wasn't on Penelope Pitstop's ignore list she would see this post and have a field day, today there has been a outcry over the so called sexist advert that is appearing on Ryanair's website, its to advertise their calender and features.......Dare I say it .... A young lady wearing a RED BRA!! Outrageous.:tongue:
Goto www.ryanair.com for a peek.

joymac
13-12-2011, 22:36
If any of your Friends in the North fancy a cheap trip over in Jan, Ryanair-Doncaster to TFS on 2nd, 5th or 9th Jan.. £17.99. Return on 12th or 16th.. £28.79; or on 19th or 23rd ..£24.24.
Mind the Ryanair haters can always pop over to Leeds/Bradford and get on Jet2 for £162.98 minimum.

tonypub
13-12-2011, 22:54
best news ever.checked/hold bags delay flights,should be like a train....it stops,you get on,off you go..charge em more i say

If I wasn't on Penelope Pitstop's ignore list she would see this post and have a field day, today there has been a outcry over the so called sexist advert that is appearing on Ryanair's website, its to advertise their calender and features.......Dare I say it .... A young lady wearing a RED BRA!! Outrageous.:tongue:
Goto www.ryanair.com for a peek.jaypeeps wont be happy

beerfan
13-12-2011, 23:10

You've heard the moaners going on about Ryanair cabin crew stripping partially nude for the airline's calendar then? Ryanair basically said they weren't bothered by the complaints and they fully stand behind their staff. (Well they would... dirty gits.) ;)

Ecky Thump
13-12-2011, 23:34
best news ever.checked/hold bags delay flights,should be like a train....it stops,you get on,off you go..charge em more i say

jaypeeps wont be happy

Nor will LadyPenelope, as she now has seen my post.

beerfan
13-12-2011, 23:45
Nor will LadyPenelope, as she now has seen my post.

I tell you what, why don't you suggest to Michael O'Leary that there should be a mandatory oxygen surcharge on his planes? It's only fair.

Ecky Thump
13-12-2011, 23:48
I tell you what, why don't you suggest to Michael O'Leary that there should be a mandatory oxygen surcharge on his planes? It's only fair.

Or maybe a charge for life jackets.

marbro8
13-12-2011, 23:48
just looked at flight prices for jan 19th £48!!! what a bargain and great flight times as well

Balcony
14-12-2011, 12:04
There are some lucky people around. I have never found a flight to Tenerife that was cheap enough to take with Ryanair. They were always around the same as other airlines. We fly from the London airports.

In the past we have used them and always had flights on time, but usually on short-break/long weekend flights. We had always struggled to make the weight for carry-on luggage, though of late we have managed to reduce luggage weights.

Vortex Wake
14-12-2011, 12:41
There are some lucky people around. I have never found a flight to Tenerife that was cheap enough to take with Ryanair. They were always around the same as other airlines. We fly from the London airports.

In the past we have used them and always had flights on time, but usually on short-break/long weekend flights. We had always struggled to make the weight for carry-on luggage, though of late we have managed to reduce luggage weights.

Getting under the 10 kg limit is a bit of an art :)

Firstly, get a backpack - it will save you 1kg in weight, it will carry more than your conservatively (undersized) suitcase, and can be squashed into the luggage check frame, and can be used as a shopping/beach bag (after all your 1.5kg suitcase is redundant the whole period you are on holiday).

Weighty items can be carried in pockets in coats/trousers or on trouser belts bags. Protect delicate items like electronic goods by placing in a food container - then pack it out with SD cards/batteries etc.

Put ONLY items you need into the backpack and then check its weight - then add the extras on top.

If you are in apartment that has a washing machine and pool/beach towels, then life can be much easier :)

Its worth pointing out again, that Thomsonfly etc only allow 5kg hand luggage - this really forces you to pay for hold luggage, yet its always Ryanair who get the crap ;)

timmylish
14-12-2011, 15:36
Beyjesus. I,ve just come on here for the first time in days and am delighted to see that Jaypeeps/PP has sought protection from that bad man Mr. Ecky Thump. I say that in the knowledge that I am now not the only one having caused such distress to this lady. Booooooooo.

Ecky Thump
14-12-2011, 15:42
Beyjesus. I,ve just come on here for the first time in days and am delighted to see that Jaypeeps/PP has sought protection from that bad man Mr. Ecky Thump. I say that in the knowledge that I am now not the only one having caused such distress to this lady. Booooooooo.

And pray tell, how you upset our very own LadyPenelope?:wink:

timmylish
14-12-2011, 15:49
Ah! Her expertise with computers and the input of her father, I,m afraid! (If my memory serves correct)

tfs1
15-12-2011, 16:27
re using a back pack rather than a more heavy trolleycase.

I recently bought a 'Cabin Max Backpack' from Amazon, it weighs 680grammes and the size is 55x40x20cm, many of the backpacks I looked at were either too big or too small - this fits the Ryanair size rule.

I used it a couple of weeks ago from the UK to Spain and for me its a perfect replacement to my trolleycase and maximises the 10kg weight and hand luggage size rule.

I packed it out with all sorts of stuff including my laptop and no problem with the weight but still managed to get near 10kg on our return, must have been the freshly picked Valencian oranges ! and there are adjustable external straps at the top and bottom to minimise the overall size and help keep things in place.

Of course the main difference is that a trolleycase has wheels but the backpack needs carrying - 10kgs is a lot of weight.

anybody want a trolleycase !

Chris

Vortex Wake
15-12-2011, 18:04
A backpack means both hands free , you don't trip up others behind found you don't alert everyone with the noise that you precious belongings packed in it when getting a 4am bus;)