PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone brought a small gauge Model Railway to Tenerife?

Tdm
13-12-2011, 18:31
Has anyone built or brought over an "N" or similar small gauge model railway layout over here.
I used to have both an indoor and an outdoor "OO" layout in the U.K., but I don't have the space in Tenerife so would like to build an "N" gauge layout in the limited space available to me as a hobby for when I am not working on my Classic Car.
It will probably mean importing everything, as I doubt whether there is any sort of model railway shop over here, and anyway I want to base it on British Railways of the steam age.

AL JAY
13-12-2011, 21:12
Found this on Amazon UK,They also deliver to Tenerife

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hornby-R1072-Flying-Scotsman-Gauge/dp/B000SLT2IC/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1323806969&sr=8-2

OneDayAtaTime
23-02-2012, 22:48
I hope to start bring a TT size layout over in bits as I travel back and forth to Ireland. Any interest in getting together? My real interest is building a computer control system from scratch.

kellyman
28-02-2012, 21:34
I know of a couple of Model shops in Tenerife that have model railways. I canīt tell you the gauge as I am not into railways myself. There are two in Santa Cruz and one in La Laguna. I have the addresses somewhere. If you are interested, post back and I will root them out.

Tdm
28-02-2012, 22:37
To OneDayAtaTime - I have never heard of "TT" gauge, what is it? - smaller or bigger than "N" gauge. I brought over some rolling stock from my "00" layout in the U.K. when I moved to Tenerife, but I simply haven't the space here for a "00" layout which is why I am considering "N" gauge. Am travelling back to the U.K. soon to visit family, after which will contact you again.

To Kellyman - Yes, I would be interested to know where the shops you mention are - I know both Santa Cruz and La Laguna reasonably well as I spent a lot of time there when my wife was in Candelaria Hospital.

Regards

kellyman
29-02-2012, 12:25
Here are the model shops I know in Tenerife.
There is one in the Merideana centre. That is straight up from the bus station on the seaward side of Corte Ingles.
Bazar X Santa Clara 2 ( corner of Santa Rosa) Santa Cruz. For this one you follow the road from the bus station down to the Lady of Africa Market and carry on over the baranco over the tramway and onto a large square. It is just past the Caja Canarias bank up a side street. Sorry I cannot be more specific.

Teide Hobby Calle Juan de Vera La Laguna. This is just behind the old Cathedral.

bonitatime
29-02-2012, 19:04
The shopping centre is Meridiano and it is up stairs with the food court
Its a great shop

OneDayAtaTime
29-02-2012, 23:12
To OneDayAtaTime - I have never heard of "TT" gauge, what is it? ...

Regards

TT means Table Top and I chose it because a reasonably complex layout fits on a board which fits under a single bed = out of the way when not in use. I believe that N is smaller but I can't remember. H0 looks too big to me. Another reason for TT was availability from a large German mail order company which will deliver virtually anywhere I suppose (or to the UK at any rate). I would not recommend TT however as availability in general appears to be very limited (maybe not at all any more??). I too may be off (to Ireland) unexpectedly at short notice and may not be back until early April (I will know more on Saturday).

I also have an American O gauge layout which is now in Ireland, also too big for the space I have here and much more difficult to transport.

Paul