PDA

View Full Version : Moving from UK in few months can we get Repeat Prescriptions in Tenerife?

pr5050
15-12-2011, 00:09
Hello, my wife an I are moving to San Miguel in a few months from UK.
She has RA and COPD and needs several medications, is it possible to get repeat prescriptions arranged.
She is on state pension, are prescription meds free as they are in the UK on NHS?
Any advice would be appreciated, is state care any good?

cressrt
15-12-2011, 17:50
She needs to be registered in the Spanish health care system as a pensioner and then yes they are free. I'm sure you may be able to do this yourself but with the problems with language we got a company to do it for us when my elderly uncle moved here, if you would like their details PM me. After he was registered with a Dr he needed to go to a check up every 3 months and he was given a prescription that lasted 3 months. You couldn't get 3 months medicine in one go though you had to go back to the pharmacy each month for that months medicine. After the 3 months we went back for the next check up and got the next prescription and so on. The length of time for the check ups may depend on the illnesses though. We found the health care provided great. Language can be a problem if you don't speak Spanish though as, as you would expect not al DRs speak English, after all we are in Spain.

pr5050
15-12-2011, 18:23
Thank you very much for that information, it has put our minds at rest. Just what we wanted to hear. Thanks