PDA

View Full Version : Is this a virus?

SuzyQ
15-12-2011, 03:20
Alfies computer has just started acting strangely. The d key doesnt work, yet, some letters cause the d letter to do this dddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd dddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd
We cant log in, but Ive managed to get in the guest account and do a virus scan which has thrown up nothing. Its a laptop.
Any ideas?

junglejim
15-12-2011, 03:41
Alfies computer has just started acting strangely. The d key doesnt work, yet, some letters cause the d letter to do this dddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd dddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd
We cant log in, but Ive managed to get in the guest account and do a virus scan which has thrown up nothing. Its a laptop.
Any ideas?
Has he spilled something on keyboard? I Had a similiar problem with w, a after spilling Irn-Bru on mine - if so not any easy repair - good luck!

You could try using onscreen keyboard to see if you can use letters or log in

Open On-Screen Keyboard by clicking the Start button Picture of the Start button, clicking All Programs, clicking Accessories, clicking Ease of Access, and then clicking On-Screen Keyboard.

TOTO 99
15-12-2011, 06:37
Please don't take this as condescending but have you tried turning it off and then back on again? It cures about 95% of pc problems. Doesn't sound like a virus though, more like one of the keys stuck down, possibly as AJ says, something spilled on it.

And AJ, Irn-Bru....classic Jock..:cheeky:

Vortex Wake
15-12-2011, 07:38
Other soft drinks are available for buggering computer keyboards.

atlantico
15-12-2011, 09:01
try a different keyboard first ?

Cairo
15-12-2011, 09:44
Has he spilled something on keyboard? I Had a similiar problem with w, a after spilling Irn-Bru on mine - if so not any easy repair - good luck!

You could try using onscreen keyboard to see if you can use letters or log in

Open On-Screen Keyboard by clicking the Start button Picture of the Start button, clicking All Programs, clicking Accessories, clicking Ease of Access, and then clicking On-Screen Keyboard.

It was Cava in my case, it meant I had to buy a new laptop!

junglejim
15-12-2011, 13:30
Please don't take this as condescending but have you tried turning it off and then back on again? It cures about 95% of pc problems. Doesn't sound like a virus though, more like one of the keys stuck down, possibly as AJ says, something spilled on it.

And AJ, Irn-Bru....classic Jock..:cheeky:

Well a classic Jock wouldn't spill his Whisky .. would he ?
I posted a couple of years ago how to open up and clean keyboard ( do a google for them) but in my case it ended up in buying a new laptop and no beverages near it !:trink:

SuzyQ
15-12-2011, 14:24
Did try a reboot yes, and no, nothing spilled on it and the key itself doesn't appear to be stuck in any way. Will try the on screen keyboard, didn't know about that. Thanks .

caroletenerife
15-12-2011, 17:34
Other soft drinks are available for buggering computer keyboards.
yeh but nothing as potent as Irn Bru, its made of Girders x

junglejim
15-12-2011, 18:55
yeh but nothing as potent as Irn Bru, its made of Girders x
It was Diet Irn-Bru - very thin girders !

Suzy the key doesn't have to stick but if there is a spillage then it gets onto circuit board and causes issues .

Have a look
http://www.instructables.com/id/Clean-Your-Sticky-Laptop-Keyboard/

Balcony
15-12-2011, 20:24
Try one of the proprietary computer spray cleaners on the keyboard first, like Foamclene. Use a dry cloth to clean it off, followed by cotton bud to run along between the keys. If you have a vacuum clean CAREFULLY run this over the keys on a low suction setting. Should resolve.

You have to be so careful with any type of sugary liquid.

warbey
15-12-2011, 21:52
Coffee is good too. Hotter the better..