PDA

View Full Version : Where can I get a new Laptop screen in south Tenerife?

Jackie
08-06-2011, 20:17
As the title says. Does anyone know anywhere in Tenerife (preferably South) that I can get a new screen for an Acer Aspire 7540 laptop. I have had a quote from a shop in San Miguel and they quoted 200 euros plus fitting. I have looked on line and they can be bought from the UK for between 70 and 100 pounds on various sites including shipping so I don't know where 200 euros comes from? Obviously it would be a lot more convenient if I could actually buy it here.

Susief
08-06-2011, 20:38
Jackie the guy next door to Affortundas in Las Chafiras is supposed to be good and reasonable!

TenerifeTeddy
08-06-2011, 22:07
As the title says. Does anyone know anywhere in Tenerife (preferably South) that I can get a new screen for an Acer Aspire 7540 laptop. I have had a quote from a shop in San Miguel and they quoted 200 euros plus fitting. I have looked on line and they can be bought from the UK for between 70 and 100 pounds on various sites including shipping so I don't know where 200 euros comes from? Obviously it would be a lot more convenient if I could actually buy it here.

I have replaced quite a number of laptop screens, the average cost with shipping & labour for a 15 inch screen is now about €110-120. If you would like to discuss this further please PM me or pop into the shop. :)

sgd
08-06-2011, 22:22
TSI in Edf Royal on the 1st floor above CAM and SOL Bank (beside the Valdes Centre) might be able to help you with it.

Jackie
08-06-2011, 22:30
I have replaced quite a number of laptop screens, the average cost with shipping & labour for a 15 inch screen is now about €110-120. If you would like to discuss this further please PM me or pop into the shop. :)

Thanks TT, the screen is actually 17.3 inch. I have found one on the internet including shipping and that works out 84.99 pounds obviously without fitting. Can you get the 17.3 ?

TenerifeTeddy
08-06-2011, 23:01
Thanks TT, the screen is actually 17.3 inch. I have found one on the internet including shipping and that works out 84.99 pounds obviously without fitting. Can you get the 17.3 ?

Yes... PM Sent :)

Turn
10-06-2011, 08:06
The screen is typicaly £60.99 (eBay free delivery to UK). One listed for £49 plus £3 delivery (buy it now price) Obviously this would entail someone from this end bringing it across (never usually a shortage). Even if you are a moderate tinkerer, with good near vision, the job is fiddly, but straight forward. If you have 2 left thumbs or hold newspapers at arms length, swallow hard and pay someone to fit it for you. All assuming its your screen thats bust and not your inverter (that lights it, which is more common).
You have to weigh all this against cost of a newer faster machine, prices of which are dropping faster then K*tie P*ic*'s *nick*rs at an A list party.
Hope I've helped and not confused!.

Jackie
10-06-2011, 11:02
The screen is typicaly £60.99 (eBay free delivery to UK). One listed for £49 plus £3 delivery (buy it now price) Obviously this would entail someone from this end bringing it across (never usually a shortage). Even if you are a moderate tinkerer, with good near vision, the job is fiddly, but straight forward. If you have 2 left thumbs or hold newspapers at arms length, swallow hard and pay someone to fit it for you. All assuming its your screen thats bust and not your inverter (that lights it, which is more common).
You have to weigh all this against cost of a newer faster machine, prices of which are dropping faster then K*tie P*ic*'s *nick*rs at an A list party.
Hope I've helped and not confused!.

Thanks for that Turn. When looking for the price of the screen online there is also a "How to'. It shows how to change the screen within 30 minutes even for a novice but I personally would rather a professional do it, being a woman and all that lol. It is definately the screen, my daughter was typing up her coursework and when she had finished she closed her laptop not realising that her notebook with the spiral wire down the side that she had been copying from was partially 'caught'. Her screen now has a black blob and what looks like cracks in one corner but the cracks are actually inside the screen.

Wouldn't be financially viable to buy a new laptop, this one is just over a year old and cost us 500 pound, even the quotes I have had from forum members to order and replace the screen work out a hell of a lot cheaper than replacing the whole thing but thanks anyway.

stuarts
10-06-2011, 11:26
Yes i have used the guy in las chafiras too, but can take some time to get things. I haven“t been down for a while but there was also a shop underneath the shopping centre in san eugenio, by the entrance to the supermarket. he seemed very switched on and got me spares, batteries etc for my laptop very quickly

BobMac
10-06-2011, 11:30
Thanks for that Turn. When looking for the price of the screen online there is also a "How to'. It shows how to change the screen within 30 minutes even for a novice but I personally would rather a professional do it, being a woman and all that lol. It is definately the screen, my daughter was typing up her coursework and when she had finished she closed her laptop not realising that her notebook with the spiral wire down the side that she had been copying from was partially 'caught'. Her screen now has a black blob and what looks like cracks in one corner but the cracks are actually inside the screen.

Wouldn't be financially viable to buy a new laptop, this one is just over a year old and cost us 500 pound, even the quotes I have had from forum members to order and replace the screen work out a hell of a lot cheaper than replacing the whole thing but thanks anyway.

Can't you claim for it on your household insurance as accidental damage ??

Most insurance companies who cover that will have a company who will pick it up, repair it and bring it back.

Jackie
10-06-2011, 11:42
Can't you claim for it on your household insurance as accidental damage ??

Most insurance companies who cover that will have a company who will pick it up, repair it and bring it back.

Unfortunately not BobMac, we don't have accidental damage on our policy out here.. I had it the very first year we moved here as we had always had it in the UK, the premium out here could have bought the laptop twice over as they go through British Insurers lol. On renewal I changed it and the normal contents policies out here do not include accidental damage as the Spanish way of looking at things is if you did it even by accident it is your fault so why should the insurers pay for it. Swings and roundabouts, you either pay through the nose and have accidental damage via a British Agent which you may never use or you have a Spanish one which is more than half the price but doesn't include accidental damage. One way to look at it is the money I have saved on the premium for the last three years by not having Accidental Damage on my policy more than covers the cost of the repair:lol:

timmylish
10-06-2011, 23:35
Unfortunately not BobMac, we don't have accidental damage on our policy out here.. I had it the very first year we moved here as we had always had it in the UK, the premium out here could have bought the laptop twice over as they go through British Insurers lol. On renewal I changed it and the normal contents policies out here do not include accidental damage as the Spanish way of looking at things is if you did it even by accident it is your fault so why should the insurers pay for it. Swings and roundabouts, you either pay through the nose and have accidental damage via a British Agent which you may never use or you have a Spanish one which is more than half the price but doesn't include accidental damage. One way to look at it is the money I have saved on the premium for the last three years by not having Accidental Damage on my policy more than covers the cost of the repair:lol:

Agree with everything you said on this. When we came to insurances for the new Apartment last year this cropped up, naturally. I was shocked to learn that is you are attempting to claim under household insurance it has to be reported to the police as "loss" and you make a denuncia! Laugh a minute! Half the price for insurance covers the cost of replacing yourselves!