PDA

View Full Version : Is there a Trade Descriptions Act in Tenerife?

Vivy
16-12-2011, 15:57
A company is offering an ADSL bundle for 19.95 plus 13.95 land line on the internet but when you call them they say it's 29.95 plus 13.95. Ten euros more a month!!

They say the bundle offer is only for people without a landline which doesn't really make sense and it doesn't say that anywhere on the internet.

Does anyone know how to complain and if you get any luck making a complaint?

9PLUS
16-12-2011, 16:52
New custom €19.95 plus €13.95 per month

Swapping company €29.95 plus €13.95 per month

bonitatime
16-12-2011, 22:22
You can complain to the consumer dept attatched to your town hall but I am not convinced if you read the small print you have a complaint.

Vivy
17-12-2011, 04:34
9plus why should it be more expensive if you're swapping companies? I could understand a one off charge for extra admin but 10 euros a month extra every month is quite a lot. They actually told me it was for people without a landline.

bonitatime there isn't any small print on the webpage about it. I checked all through.

This is what they actually said in an email reply to me after they had called me up on the telephone. "As Sharon has explained the 19.95€ package is available for customer who do not have a current landline. This information is not stated on our website as we do prompt customers to call for more information"

I honestly believe it's a misprint on their website and should read 29.95 but whatever the reason if they're advertising it with no mention of any particular conditions then surely they're obliged to give it to me at that price?

Muppet
17-12-2011, 10:00
I can't see that they are under any obligation to provide you with anything at any price unless you have actually signed some form of order or contract with the company. If you have, and they are now asking you for more money to provide a service than you initially agreed and signed for then you may have grounds for a formal complaint.

It would be helpful to see the website though to give a better opinion.

BobMac
17-12-2011, 10:19
I honestly believe it's a misprint on their website and should read 29.95 but whatever the reason if they're advertising it with no mention of any particular conditions then surely they're obliged to give it to me at that price?

If the law is the same in Tenerife as it is in the UK, they are not required to sell you anything at any price if they don't want to. All sales are one time contracts between you as a customer and them as a supplier and either side can decide not to enter into a contract with the other.

Harlequin
04-01-2012, 14:13
I think I recall the legal jargon as being "An offer for treat or sale" which basically means I could put "ADSL: 10 Euros for a liftime" if I liked just to attract business but the headaches I would have dealing with the complaints because it's not an available product would be a nightmare.

I seem to recall while studying Tort Law that there was a test case many years ago in the UK where a shop had a big (illegal) knife on offer in their window and they were taken to court. However, because they never actually sold the knife they couldn't be prosecuted.

So... Anyone for ADSL, just 10 Euros, for life...?