PDA

View Full Version : How do I copy a video to a disc?

caroletenerife
16-12-2011, 22:45
yes I know, i know its probably very simple. i have made a video of my granddaughters first year for her mum and Dad. Videos done....but I bought a CD, it said CDR, but it says its non recordable.(i just though a disc was a disc...duuhh) So..my question is what do I ask for in the shop, and which shop should i go to near San Eugenio, thanks x

beerfan
16-12-2011, 22:51
If it's a CD-R it means you can write on it once.

How big is the filesize? The CD-R is probably far too small. Try a DVD-R?

COL NIL SATIS
16-12-2011, 22:57
You need to buy a blank DVD-R Carol or a CD-R :) DVD-R is a DVD recordable format.So you can record onto it

caroletenerife
16-12-2011, 23:09
Thank you both, I just saw a disc and thought, there you go, thats what i need....i shall dye my hair blonde tomorrow. After i have bought a DVD-R xx

beerfan
16-12-2011, 23:11
Do you have a DVD writeable drive on your PC/laptop? Very important, this.

caroletenerife
16-12-2011, 23:15
oooooohhhh, dont say that i dont know haha, where do i look

Added after 2 minutes:

it says DVD RW Drive (D), what does that mean

KirstyJay
16-12-2011, 23:22
It really depends on what you want to play it on. If you want to play it on a CD Player, you'll write a CD -R, CD +R or CD RW depending on what your CD player reads, same for a DVD player... DVD -R +R or RW.

You'll also need to know what format of video your player reads. AVI, MP4, WMV, or do you need to convert your video to DVD first?

We need to know a few things before anyone can answer this question accurately or concisely. There's no point burning a CD or DVD you then cannot play. :)

caroletenerife
16-12-2011, 23:29
oh bum, bum, effin eff. This is more complicated than i thought. I just made it on Windows Movie maker and wanted to put it on a dvd so they could watch it on their DVD, it says its a wmv file.

KirstyJay
16-12-2011, 23:34
OK. First thing first. Ask them what formats their DVD player plays, then get back to this thread with the answer. You may need to convert the file first if it's a WMV. There's some free ones out there :)

Here you go.

http://www.removedrmfromwmv.net/freeware/free-wmv-to-dvd-converter.html

Also, ask them what type of disc their DVD player plays. +R or -R. If they don't know, it'll be in the manual... or better still, get them to ask your grandaughter :D

caroletenerife
16-12-2011, 23:40
Thanks kirsty for your help, i will ask them, they are out on their Christmas night, but will ask tomorrow, could just send it over the net, but thats probably even more complicated hahaxx

beerfan
16-12-2011, 23:45
Thanks kirsty for your help, i will ask them, they are out on their Christmas night, but will ask tomorrow, could just send it over the net, but thats probably even more complicated hahaxx

Or, if you were inclined, up it to YouTube (whilst specifying that only those who have read the link can see it so it's not public). They could then cull the video from their end. :)

caroletenerife
16-12-2011, 23:49
ha, i wouldnt even know where to start, it says i can share it on Facebook, could they copy it to dvd from that if i sent it to them x

beerfan
16-12-2011, 23:53
ha, i wouldnt even know where to start, it says i can share it on Facebook, could they copy it to dvd from that if i sent it to them x

How big is the file?

caroletenerife
17-12-2011, 00:06
23.0 mb .

beerfan
17-12-2011, 00:27
Must only be a very small clip then.

Up it to YouTube or, yes, even put it on Facebook. As long as your Internet connection is OK, it shouldn't take long. Though putting a 23MB file on a DVD is a bit of a waste of the rest of the disc!

caroletenerife
17-12-2011, 00:34
i know, its only two minutes long , just a collection of photos that i put to music. I am however losing the will to live tonight with it, so i am not even trying...bet Spielberg doesnt have this bl**dy trouble x

KirstyJay
17-12-2011, 02:17
You could torrent it... but that's another learning curve. lol.... or put it on a USB stick, and let them do with it what they like. :)

bonitatime
17-12-2011, 09:25
The USB stick and post it sounds easiest.

caroletenerife
17-12-2011, 09:39
thanks for your advice, im not going think about it today, im off to pack bags in Iceland for the dogs...alot easier xxxxx

KirstyJay
17-12-2011, 12:15
Most email servers allow attachments up to 30mb, so if you have a private email, then it should be sendable. Hotmail and Yahoo tend to have a lower threshold though, so depending on your mail program, you could probably do it via email.

Another option is to use one of the big file upload sites...

Why not upload it to this site : https://www.transferbigfiles.com/ They take up to 100mb. Then just send the download link to your family :)

Youtube or facebook is a good idea, however unless your family know how to rip a video from those sites, they can't get it off to keep. It's not a hard thing to do if you know where to go, www.keep-tube.com for example, but in my opinion it just seems to be over complicating a simple task to go this route... and, of course, the video you have is in its optimal quality. It may lose some of this if it's uploaded and processed by youtube or FB.

caroletenerife
18-12-2011, 13:20
thank you for your help I sent it via Facebook and they are young so they can figure it out haha. I dont know how you boffins cope with all that techno babble...im impressed.. have a lovely Christmas x