PDA

View Full Version : Has your Spanish improved this year?

PaulW
17-12-2011, 02:15
Have you improved your Spanish a lot this year?

Malteser Monkey
17-12-2011, 23:52
No se dime algo ?

marbro8
17-12-2011, 23:58
Have you improved your Spanish a lot this year?no and i am so ****** off because i said i would make an effort, but every where we go i try, but they just talk back to me in bloody english:mad:, and it just makes me idle, so i would like to buy some cd's that i can play in my car or works van, but i do not want to pay the earth for them,has anyone got any ideas?:spin:

slodgedad
18-12-2011, 00:49
Esto yearo mio Spanisho es mucho bettero than la ultimo yearo.

Yo es mucho proudo. Bonos notch.

marbro8
18-12-2011, 00:59

Yo es mucho proudo. Bonos notch.the only thing i know from that is good night:ashamed:

doreen
18-12-2011, 01:04
the only thing i know from that is good night:ashamed:

Maybe Slodge is not your best teacher marbro8 :)

We did have a thread on the old forum where you could download some of the Michel Thomas tapes ???

slodgedad
18-12-2011, 01:07

We did have a thread on the old forum where you could download some of the Michel Thomas tapes ???

Yo bego tu pardono. Mio Spanglish es perfeto...:)

henry
18-12-2011, 01:26
well, i do my best in speaking spanish but it a big help when you have a spanish mother. am i lucky or what?

español

Bueno, yo hago mi mejor cuando se habla español, pero sí una gran ayuda cuando tienes una madre española. soy afortunado o qué?

slodgedad
18-12-2011, 01:35
well, i do my best in speaking spanish but it a big help when you have a spanish mother. am i lucky or what?

español

Bueno, yo hago mi mejor cuando se habla español, pero sí una gran ayuda cuando tienes una madre española. soy afortunado o qué?

Thanks, Henry. Brought the thread back to sensible..

beerfan
18-12-2011, 09:36
no and i am so ****** off because i said i would make an effort, but every where we go i try, but they just talk back to me in bloody english:mad:

You'll find this in the Nordic countries even more than you would in Spain, essentially making it not worth the bother attempting to learn their language (unless you're living there).

This obviously depends on where you go but when I was in Tenerife there were parts of the island where I have been where the people didn't speak much English.

Have you thought of perhaps trying a different part of Tenerife or even another part of Spain where there are fewer English speakers?

Saltnpepper
18-12-2011, 10:48
Si, yo he aprendido mucho este año. Una buena amiga mía me está enseñando dos horas por semana. Es inglesa pero es casada con un canario.

For those who couldn't understand the above - yes, I've learned a lot this year. A good friend of mine is teaching me for 2 hours a week. She's English but married to a Canarian. I've been in Tenerife almost 8 years now & although I could get by & manage at doctors etc without a translator, I didn't feel I was improving as I don't have the incentive/willpower to learn on my own so learning with my friend gives me the discipline to do it. The verbs take some remembering though!

Added after 3 minutes:

You'll find this in the Nordic countries even more than you would in Spain, essentially making it not worth the bother attempting to learn their language (unless you're living there).

This obviously depends on where you go but when I was in Tenerife there were parts of the island where I have been where the people didn't speak much English.

Have you thought of perhaps trying a different part of Tenerife or even another part of Spain where there are fewer English speakers?

Agree with this beerfan - Marbro8, you should definitely try getting out of the tourist areas when you come over to Tenerife. Living here in San Miguel we are forced to communicate in Spanish as many of the neighbours, especially the older ones, don't speak English

Suej
18-12-2011, 15:25
Funny that this thread has come up! I went to our AGM on Friday and in comparison to last year I was quite surprised how much more I understood when the Adminstrator spoke in Spanish! I still lost the gist quite a bit but overall I think my understanding of Spanish has improved a little over the last year!:)

Added after 28 minutes:

Oh Doreen they are terrible! the creaking chair just puts me off! I found this You tube link quite good! http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=01001+Spanish+Lesson&aq=f

Megaloo
18-12-2011, 15:54
Funny that this thread has come up! I went to our AGM on Friday and in comparison to last year I was quite surprised how much more I understood when the Adminstrator spoke in Spanish! I still lost the gist quite a bit but overall I think my understanding of Spanish has improved a little over the last year!:)

My understanding and reading has improved but speaking NO..:ashamed:

doreen
18-12-2011, 17:05
Excellent Suej ... I never thought to look at YouTube

Found this ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WT_bxvFTr0s&feature=related

from this website .... http://thespanishforum.com/ ...lots of free stuff with subtitles for all that is spoken

In answer to the question ... yes, a marked improvement in my Spanish this year .... under very difficult circumstances :(

Suej
18-12-2011, 17:40
Excellent Suej ... I never thought to look at YouTube

Found this ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WT_bxvFTr0s&feature=related

from this website .... http://thespanishforum.com/ ...lots of free stuff with subtitles for all that is spoken

In answer to the question ... yes, a marked improvement in my Spanish this year .... under very difficult circumstances :(

A positive will always come out of a negative! :c2:

warbey
18-12-2011, 20:36

Yo es mucho proudo. Bonos notch.

El primero Hombre eh.?

cainaries
18-12-2011, 21:20

Added after 28 minutes:

Oh Doreen they are terrible! the creaking chair just puts me off! I found this You tube link quite good! http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=01001+Spanish+Lesson&aq=f

Some friends played those Michel Thomas tapes to us because they wanted to lend them to us and it drove me mad almost immediately. I don't know if my Spanish has improved much but I am getting a bit more confident about using it.

tracy hampshire
18-12-2011, 21:53
my speaking has got much better,boyfriend has lived here for 11 years and speaks spanish but little english, so my confidance has grown with the speaking, but still find it difficult to understand because the canarians speak too fast for me, bf speaks more slowly as this is not his native language, so i think it's back to school for me in the new year, determind to lear spanish fluently,most of our friends are spanish and i hate it when i get lost during a conversation .

Suej
18-12-2011, 22:08
Some friends played those Michel Thomas tapes to us because they wanted to lend them to us and it drove me mad almost immediately. I don't know if my Spanish has improved much but I am getting a bit more confident about using it.

I do speak Spanish as much as I can even though I know I´m rubbish but the Canarians respond to us Brits they really do appreciate it if we try!:)

tracey_in_tenerife
18-12-2011, 22:35
My Spanish has improved lots since the kids started school in September , what with translating newsletters , homework and school forms!! My iPhone works overtime when the kids finish at 3.30 lol

Estaanis
20-12-2011, 17:58
........so touching this post ,it is so sweet when you see brits trying to learn the lingo,i love it:goodluck:

Ecky Thump
20-12-2011, 18:13
........so touching this post ,it is so sweet when you see brits trying to learn the lingo,i love it:goodluck:

Yes, it is good fun to learn a different language and it can be very useful, we used to have another member who tried to help us, he lived in London, but his roots were in Tenerife, he went by the name of "Leafer":)

Estaanis
20-12-2011, 18:36
...my English is not that good just yet I'm in my way to master it but as you can see already I've got a long way ahead .....anyway listen if you need any help please ask me and if I know the anwser I will help you ....I heard that London is a great place London with people from all over the world and a very nice culture.......

Rainer
10-07-2013, 22:51

I am learning with Michel Thomas and I have to say it is the best method of learning. Doing translations all the time - words, fragments, phrases, whole sentences, statements, questions - over and over and over again is hard to master but going to pay off.

Although being German, I am convinced of Michel Thomas and willing to learn Spanish by English :).

Malteser Monkey
11-07-2013, 14:29
...my English is not that good just yet I'm in my way to master it but as you can see already I've got a long way ahead .....anyway listen if you need any help please ask me and if I know the anwser I will help you ....I heard that London is a great place London with people from all over the world and a very nice culture.......

Mine neither - I've been learning it for coughs years

Lot's of Españoles there - actually tenemos un par aqui en Gales !

9PLUS
11-07-2013, 17:50
Mines gotten worst as I started hanging around with the locals

x

warbey
11-07-2013, 19:59
No...........