PDA

View Full Version : What is everyone eating on Christmas Day?

Angusjim
17-12-2011, 13:45
We just took a family vote last night and we are having an Indian Carryout / buffet, a big change from our normal traditional Turkey & trimmings what everyone else having.

Suej
17-12-2011, 15:32
We just took a family vote last night and we are having an Indian Carryout / buffet, a big change from our normal traditional Turkey & trimmings.

Exactly that for us! Has to be done!:)

beerfan
17-12-2011, 16:03
We usually don't eat turkey in our house but go for another piece of meat instead. Capon or steak usually.

bonitatime
17-12-2011, 17:02
The plan is shellfish but I don't know exactly what until I get to shop

Goforgold
17-12-2011, 17:09
We just took a family vote last night and we are having an Indian Carryout / buffet, a big change from our normal traditional Turkey & trimmings what everyone else having.

A friend of mine is doing that and I toyed with the idea but sticking to cooking lots of chicken pieces in the slow cooker the day before and eating them cold with spicy wedges, salad etc followed by Xmas pudding/brandy sauce.

This allows us to go down to Birmingham to see OH's parents for an hour or so, without having to dash back to cook anything. OH only has Xmas day off, so we want to spend the time together doing as little work as possible. :) - flamin' Panto's 'can't stand 'em and why do they have to be at Christmas ??!!! :)

tracy hampshire
17-12-2011, 19:02
maybe lamb, cooking for friends from the sahara, so definately won't be pork, would love to do turkey but only have hobs no oven, any ideas on cooking turkey with no oven ????

Goforgold
17-12-2011, 19:06
maybe lamb, cooking for friends from the sahara, so definately won't be pork, would love to do turkey but only have hobs no oven, any ideas on cooking turkey with no oven ????

In the garden/on the balcony on a spit? :)

marbro8
17-12-2011, 21:21
there will be 9 0f us this year and i am going to get the turkey from bridgenorth turkey auction next wednesday, last years was lovely and only paid £1 a lb for it, i have been looking at ways to cook it and have found a recipe on the internet that tells you to soak it in kocher salt overnight in the fridge then wash it down next day and it is meant to be so tender, so will be following that, they do say that the kocher salt can be replaced with cooking salt though, because the kocher salt is so expensive and tbh i can't see the point in using it you aint jewish lol,we will be having it with roast potatoes cooked in duck or goose fat, carrots sprouts(cooked mushy cus thats how everyone exept me likes them) roast parsnips, peas covered in sugar(or canderell if you are counting calories lol) boiled spuds homemade sausage,sage and onion stuffing, chippolatas wraped in bacon,with apple sauce cranberry and mint sauce, and we might have homemade yorkshire puds if i have got time because like the sauces they taste great with anything:wink:

slodgedad
17-12-2011, 21:24
Probably Spag Bol again, but if my pension comes through (touch wood), not only will I make a few people happy and pay them what I owe, we'll probably have a bit of fillet steak......

Ecky Thump
17-12-2011, 22:24
For us its got to be real homemade tomato soup, followed by....

Roast Turkey, roast parsnips, sausage meat stuffing, roast potatoes, chipolatas wrapped in bacon, brussel sprouts, carrots a few roasted chestnuts and a bread sauce....and of course to follow, a rich Christmas pudding with a brandy sauce...

All followed by a couple of hours on the settee:zzz::zzz:

cainaries
17-12-2011, 23:04
there will be 9 0f us this year and i am going to get the turkey from bridgenorth turkey auction next wednesday, last years was lovely and only paid £1 a lb for it, i have been looking at ways to cook it and have found a recipe on the internet that tells you to soak it in kocher salt overnight in the fridge then wash it down next day and it is meant to be so tender, so will be following that, they do say that the kocher salt can be replaced with cooking salt though, because the kocher salt is so expensive and tbh i can't see the point in using it you aint jewish lol,we will be having it with roast potatoes cooked in duck or goose fat, carrots sprouts(cooked mushy cus thats how everyone exept me likes them) roast parsnips, peas covered in sugar(or canderell if you are counting calories lol) boiled spuds homemade sausage,sage and onion stuffing, chippolatas wraped in bacon,with apple sauce cranberry and mint sauce, and we might have homemade yorkshire puds if i have got time because like the sauces they taste great with anything:wink:

You'd better put a couple more chairs round your table - that sounds wonderful!

Hadn't thought much about it til I saw this thread. We had bangers, mash and beans one year but do usually push the boat a little further out. Might be a leg of lamb with roasties.

tracy hampshire
17-12-2011, 23:24
can we come to yous for dinner mr thump, sounds lovely, only one yorkshire lass & three guys from the sahara, would solve all my problems lol:laugh:

Ecky Thump
17-12-2011, 23:28
can we come to yous for dinner mr thump, sounds lovely, only one yorkshire lass & three guys from the sahara, would solve all my problems lol:laugh:

Tracy, you can come only if you promise to do the dishes after.:cheeky:

imablue
17-12-2011, 23:29
we,ll be doing the local chippie....

No Really... this is my OH,s first christmas in 14 years that she isn,t working ..
so this day is gonna be a little bit special... somewhere we shall be eating and having a few drinkies together instead of having Christmas Dinner in November.....:tongue:

tracy hampshire
17-12-2011, 23:36
the sarahawi are very good at washing up, a known fact i live with one lol

marbro8
17-12-2011, 23:41
You'd better put a couple more chairs round your table - that sounds wonderful!

Hadn't thought much about it til I saw this thread. We had bangers, mash and beans one year but do usually push the boat a little further out. Might be a leg of lamb with roasties.you would be more than welcome, but your locaton looks better than ours:wink:

Ecky Thump
17-12-2011, 23:42
the sarahawi are very good at washing up, a known fact i live with one lol

Does that mean we wont have to use knives and forks, just eat with our fingers like desert people.:wink:

cainaries
17-12-2011, 23:46
you would be more than welcome, but your locaton looks better than ours:wink:

Sounds like a plan if you're cooking! Better bring some sleeping bags though!

marbro8
18-12-2011, 00:11
Does that mean we wont have to use knives and forks, just eat with our fingers like desert people.:wink:i would love to eat my food that way anyway lol, the indian, pakistani and bangladesh people only eat with their left hand because they use the other for other things:cheeky:

slodgedad
18-12-2011, 00:42
i would love to eat my food that way anyway lol, the indian, pakistani and bangladesh people only eat with their left hand because they use the other for other things:cheeky:

Yup. Holding their knife..:dontknow:

Ecky Thump
18-12-2011, 00:47
Yup. Holding their knife..:dontknow:

Nah,...its for your money!:laugh:

marbro8
18-12-2011, 00:54
Yup. Holding their knife..:dontknow:no wipeing their **** lol

slodgedad
18-12-2011, 00:58
no wipeing their **** lol

We all know that, but me and Eric were trying to be polite..:ashamed:

Ecky Thump
18-12-2011, 01:03
We all know that, but me and Eric were trying to be polite..:ashamed:

No it wasn't me being polite, it was because I didn't know a posh word for ****!

Oh bum, Carol has just said the word I was looking for was posterior:cheeky:

marbro8
18-12-2011, 01:03
We all know that, but me and Eric were trying to be polite..:ashamed:sorry i am not known for my diplomacy:eyebrows:

Angusjim
18-12-2011, 08:07
i would love to eat my food that way anyway lol, the indian, pakistani and bangladesh people only eat with their left hand because they use the other for other things:cheeky:

Did not relize they were Celtic supporters :whistle::whistle:

Abrahamee
18-12-2011, 08:46
Well
Usually everyone eat Christmas cake and some make barbecue.
Thanks for sharing.

tracy hampshire
18-12-2011, 10:25
no, got them well trained , they've got the hang of the knife & fork lol

brightonbel
18-12-2011, 12:13
This is my ideal Christmas lunch eating out , no cooking and a lazy day with my beloved.

David Smith
21-12-2011, 11:48
Hello,
So much of the food on Christmas Day is eaten "because it's there" even though you don't really want it. Eat when you're hungry, choose what you really want and eat just enough to satisfy.

Thanks
David Smith

Ecky Thump
21-12-2011, 12:18
Hello,
So much of the food on Christmas Day is eaten "because it's there" even though you don't really want it. Eat when you're hungry, choose what you really want and eat just enough to satisfy.Thanks
David Smith

Miserable Git, eat until your stuffed....Its Christmas!!:jump2::cheeky:

karinagal
21-12-2011, 14:01
Miserable Git, eat until your stuffed....Its Christmas!!:jump2::cheeky:

I agree - if you don't have to have a lie down afterwards on your tummy coz you're full to bursting, yet still manage to scarf down a mince pie with a cuppa.... then it just ain't Christmas!!!!

Suej
21-12-2011, 15:51
I´ll binge as usual...will get some exercise after my Christmas dinner though! I have 15 steps to climb to get to my bed! Phew!:zzz:

Goforgold
21-12-2011, 16:09
I´ll binge as usual...will get some exercise after my Christmas dinner though! I have 15 steps to climb to get to my bed! Phew!:zzz:

don't overdue it Suej!!! :D

Suej
21-12-2011, 17:01
don't overdue it Suej!!! :D

Ha Ha! I´m not as bad as some I know!:laugh:

MaxineC
21-12-2011, 18:45
i'm making a selection of sandwiches.... :D

No, I'm actually doing a traditional Christmas turkey lunch, got our friendly Admin bird & her monsters coming and another couple... Hope i feel less hungover than I do today! ;)

chips
21-12-2011, 22:37
Hi going round to my daughters for dinner Christmas day ,so no cooking for us ,one year i said to Ann (my wife ) i was a bit fed up with being organised every year (ungrateful is my middle name lol) so we informed the family we would be having a cold buffet after going to the local pub and then just flaking out in the evening ,well we had a great time talking to aquaintances and a having a few drinks then went home for a great buffet prepared earlier, and then just chilled for the rest of the evening,we enjoyed it ,but such was the fallout after ,daughters wanting to know why the change ,why we had disapointed the grand kids etc, we have resumed being organised .ps we love it really .Merry Christmas all have a good one .Chips

marbro8
22-12-2011, 23:42
Miserable Git, eat until your stuffed....Its Christmas!!:jump2::cheeky:he is probably a bloody doctor:redcard::wink:

Santiago
22-12-2011, 23:49
he is probably a bloody doctor:redcard::wink:

No, I expect he's one of those super-fit people who goes out for a ten mile run each morning before dawn and then comes home and has a spoonful of muesli or some other rubbish!

I'm with the rest of you - Get Stuffed!

:lolipop::pizza::lolly::hungry::popcorn::drunk2:

Tom & Sharon
23-12-2011, 10:34
We're going to have a barbeque at forum member's Annie Mac's. There will be 11 of us altogether including CIM, Maria and baby Charlotte.

We're having seafood platter, T Bone steaks and new potatoes which I brought back from Marks & Spencer's because the potatoes here are rubbish. We're having cheeses and chocolate panettone from Marks for afters.

We've got loads of booze as well!

We've told CIM it's 2 o'clock, but really we're starting at midday so we get a head start on him with the food....................:rofl::rofl::rofl::drinkin g::cheers2::drunk2:

MaxineC
23-12-2011, 15:44
We're going to have a barbeque at forum member's Annie Mac's. There will be 11 of us altogether including CIM, Maria and baby Charlotte.

We're having seafood platter, T Bone steaks and new potatoes which I brought back from Marks & Spencer's because the potatoes here are rubbish. We're having cheeses and chocolate panettone from Marks for afters.

We've got loads of booze as well!

We've told CIM it's 2 o'clock, but really we're starting at midday so we get a head start on him with the food....................:rofl::rofl::rofl::drinkin g::cheers2::drunk2:

Remind me to give Ann a kick for my lack of invitation... maybe it's stuck in the post ??? :D Have a great time x

slodgedad
23-12-2011, 23:32
Picked up 2 days work so balls to the Spag Bol.

Picked up a roast beef joint and all the bits at Iceland today...(Plus a couple of boxes of Red)..:jumping:

cainaries
24-12-2011, 01:13
All arranged today ... surprise starter (guests are bringing it) ... we are doing main course of capon and all the trimmings and surprise dessert -guests are bringing it. Since the guests aren't Brits I guess I'm going to miss out on Xmas pud and/or mince pies ... but interesting to try other traditional dishes.

As for Tom and Sharon bringing potatoes from Marks ... I trust they're not Canarian potatoes then?? We have finally sourced King Edwards here -daft or what?