PDA

View Full Version : Education Please fill in this questionnaire for my dissertation

lauren1xx
17-12-2011, 16:23
Tourism in the Canary Islands questionnaire

As a resident, do you like living in Canary Islands? (Advantages/disadvantages?)

What steotype do you have of the Canarians?

What general impression do you get of the
Canariansī relationship/ behaviour towards foreign residents/tourists?

What do you think of the British society of Tenerife? (Advantages/disadvantages?)

Why do you think that some residents don’t learn Spanish?

Do you think Canarians have a stereotype of British residents / tourists? (If yes explain)

Do you think some foreign residents / tourists take advantage and perhaps provoke a negative stereotype of themselves to the Canarians? (Explain answer)

Have you ever felt segregated / discriminated against by Canarians? (If yes explain)

Do you think Canarians accept integration? (Explain answer)

Some night clubs, bars, restaurants and hotels charge Canarians higher prices than tourists and British residents. What is your opinion of this?

Would you accept a foreign society/area in Britain that charged higher prices to the British residents? (Explain answer)

Do you think the Canary Islands lack Canarian culture in the tourist areas? (why?)

Would you like more to see more Canarian culture rather than British culture in the tourist areas of the Canary Islands, for example, traditions, food, and celebrations?

Do you think that an improvement can be made to the Canary Islands in some way? (Explain answer)

beerfan
17-12-2011, 16:49
I take it this questionnaire is to be filled in only by British expatriates living in the Canary Islands?

Leanne
17-12-2011, 16:57
I'll be following this thread closely as it will be informative to me a future ex-pat. Thanx

doreen
17-12-2011, 17:01
Hello lauren ... perhaps you might tell us why you want people to fill this out - is it a school project, a university dissertation .....
If you ask people to help (and it's not short, if you want proper answers) then you need to give them some motivation/meaning to their taking the time to answer

PS Where are Canarians charged more than tourists ??? would have thought it was the other way round :)

Goforgold
17-12-2011, 17:12
Lauren - I thought you said it was short??!! Anyway welcome to the forum and I hope you get the information you are after. :)

Goforgold
17-12-2011, 17:14
Has something gone wrong with this thread ??? I've just replied to something exactly the same two seconds ago? :)

Suej
17-12-2011, 18:06
Hello lauren ... perhaps you might tell us why you want people to fill this out - is it a school project, a university dissertation .....
If you ask people to help (and it's not short, if you want proper answers) then you need to give them some motivation/meaning to their taking the time to answer

PS Where are Canarians charged more than tourists ??? would have thought it was the other way round :)

Exactly what I thought! I also would like to know please the reasons for the questionaire:thanx: and :welcome:

lauren1xx
17-12-2011, 18:08
Hi everyone,
Ye I'm doing this for research for my dissertation. The questionnaire is aimed at British expat/residents.

I lived in Tenerife 2years, first year was my year abroad from uni and the other was because I loved Tenerife so much I stayed another year and now I am back in UK finishing my final year.

It would be a fantastic help.

Lauren

Added after 2 minutes:

hi Suej,
Canarians get charged more in some places, however some tourists or British also get more charged than Canarians in some places.

Suej
17-12-2011, 18:13
No GFG youīhavenīt finally snapped! :laugh:Think this thread needs to be closed as it just been duplicated and there are more replies on the other one! itīs a bit confusing:crazy:

lauren1xx
17-12-2011, 18:17
Hi,
I put it in 2 places. to make sure it was seen.

Suej
17-12-2011, 18:27
Hi,
I put it in 2 places. to make sure it was seen.

If members want to reply in general to the thread and not take part in the questionarie itīs going to get a bit confusing I think Lauren!:spin:

lauren1xx
17-12-2011, 18:36
ok, how do u delete then?

doreen
17-12-2011, 18:50
Lauren - are you studying Sociology or Tourism ... questionnaire seems skewed towards the former :)

Goforgold
17-12-2011, 18:57
No GFG youīhavenīt finally snapped! :laugh:Think this thread needs to be closed as it just been duplicated and there are more replies on the other one! itīs a bit confusing:crazy:

Phew thanks Suej!! I thought I needed to go back to SpecSavers!! :D

lauren1xx
17-12-2011, 19:19
I study Spanish but my dissertation is about Tourism in the Canary Islands, this is my working title “Could the Canary Islands survive without tourism and at what cost does success come socially, economically and environmentally?”

doreen
17-12-2011, 19:52
I study Spanish but my dissertation is about Tourism in the Canary Islands, this is my working title “Could the Canary Islands survive without tourism and at what cost does success come socially, economically and environmentally?”

But most of your questionnaire is asking British ex-pats who are residents what their views are: surely, they are not part of Tourism per se, just immigrants some of who work in Tourism ???

If you are concentrating on the British ex pat sector, how about finding out how many are working in Brit bars with no contract (taking jobs away from the locals perhaps, a drain on Canarian resources maybe)

Something on the Timeshare (crimeshare :() sector could be relevant too :)

lauren1xx
17-12-2011, 19:59
expats or residents are included in my research because majority were once a tourist

KirstyJay
17-12-2011, 20:00

This happens in the clubs, but only because the canarians tend to drink at 'botellons' before going to the clubs, so get charged an entrance fee, whereas brits, who buy drinks in the clubs, get in free. Makes sense really, as you can't expect to use the clubs, their services and their entertainments for free...

however in the majority of normal businesses, it's either equal amounts charged to Canarians and non-Canarians or the Canarians are charged less, so the question is too generic to actually get any meaningful answers, especially at dissertation level.

Personally, I would review the questionnaire. You need to think what you want to find out from it and write it accordingly, as in its current form it's a little vague and seems to target an entirely different area than you state you want to survey. :)

beerfan
17-12-2011, 20:02
But most of your questionnaire is asking British ex-pats who are residents what their views are: surely, they are not part of Tourism per se, just immigrants some of who work in Tourism ???

I know; that's what doesn't make any sense. Who is the questionnaire aimed at - British tourists who visit the Canary Islands or British people living in the Canary Islands, sometimes permanently? It's a pretty big distinction, that one. You must make this clear as at the moment it's a bit misleading.

Also, the Canary Islands are an archipelago that covers Lanzarote, Gran Canaria and Fuertenventura as the main islands for tourism as well as Tenerife. :)

lauren1xx
17-12-2011, 20:19
Hi,
I would like to know expats views on Canarians. Kirsty thanks for your response but itīs unfair to say that all the Canarians do el botellón and if they do it they get charged more money, other nationalities drink in the street, have drinks in their bags or drink before hand too. Prices should be the same for everybody, this does not occur in Britain people being charged more money because of their nationality, its discrimination. Also hotels are doing this.

This is to give you all a better idea of my research:

The aim of this dissertation is to question the success rate of tourism in the Canary Islands and at what cost does this come. I am particularly interested in identifying the discipline of social anthropology and the impact and effects tourists and tourism have. Furthermore, I would like to examine the relationship between tourism and the environment, establishing both the negative and positive effects and whether a remedy or an equitable balance is required.

The study will outline whether the Canary Islands could survive without tourism, what kind of relationship the Canarian residents and tourists share socially and how they perceive one another. I intend to address the relationship issues between the Canarians and tourists and identify whether an improvement can be proposed.

The relationship elements will be broken down into specific areas of social and working environment relationships for a better understanding of the connections of the society and to identify the repercussions of the external influence of tourism.

The majority of my research will be focused on Tenerife, which is the biggest Canary Island and the most successful in the tourism industry. However, the other Canary Islands and other communities that experience tourism will be mentioned and compared to, throughout my research.

My investigation will be mostly secondary research, but will also contain elements of primary research as I intend to distribute questionnaires, record interviews and write letters of inquiry and recommendation.

slodgedad
17-12-2011, 21:21

I would have thought that that should have been the original question rather than a questionnaire.

Then from the vast variety of answers you are sure to receive the questionnaire would be more than adequately answered, probably with much more info than you actually need.

warbey
17-12-2011, 21:27
I wish You well.

However after spending Two Years in Tenerife, I suggest You would have been better researching then.
I suspect You already have strong views bout certain matters which could impact on Your objectivity.

From History Tenerife existed without Tourists as such except visiting Ships.
It certainly could again if it had to, but it doesnt, does it.?

cainaries
17-12-2011, 21:42
Hi Lauren

First of all I live on La Palma which is one of the minor islands attached to Tenerife. Over 90% of the expats and tourists here are German.

I don't think that the format which this Forum has is going to make it easy for anyone to answer your questionnaire because we can't write the replies against the questions which would be the simplest way of doing it and it is too complicated to make it a poll.

Do you already know which nationalities comprise the bulk of the tourists in all of the Canary Islands? This might not be the Brits. Just a thought.

If you can pm me your questionnaire as,for example, a Word document, I'll try to fill it in.

lauren1xx
17-12-2011, 21:46
Thank you that would be a great help. Yeah in Tenerife most of the German population is in Puerto de La Cruz.

Lauren

cainaries
17-12-2011, 21:48
Thank you that would be a great help. Yeah in Tenerife most of the German population is in Puerto de La Cruz.

Lauren

OK - I'll pm you my email address (not to be shared!!). I know somewhere there are statistics on the percentages of nationalities who have residencia in the Canaries because this is how I know that over 90% of the expats here are German. But I don't know where you would find that info.

Loaded
17-12-2011, 21:49
The botellon has a lot to answer for. This is why Spanish get charged to go in clubs in veronicas and starco - basically they all drink before going in, then dance about etc then go back out for more booze. Club owners clocked it and so they charge them to enter but not non Spanish.

Conversely - in traditionally mainly Spanish clubs such as casablanca etc on San telmo the prices are a lot higher than normal places because they can't charge Everyone an entry fee and they know a lot do the botellon so the prices are exaggerated to make up the difference.

Added after 12 minutes:

As a resident, do you like living kn the canary islands?

Yes. I was brought over here aged 7 so I don't really have any basis for comparison - but every visit to the Uk I've endured has made me
Glad I'm here.

None

Some feel exploited, others embrace the positives.

What do you think of the British society of Tenerife?

Some are just running away from problems in the Uk, others are genuinely building a better life for their family.

Laziness and arrogance.

Do you think Canarians have a stereotype of British residents / tourists?

Yes. Lazy and arrogant.

Do you think some foreign residents / tourists take advantage and perhaps provoke a negative stereotype of themselves to the Canarians?

Yes. Through the aforementioned traits.

Have you ever felt segregated / discriminated against by Canarians?

Yes. Attacked regularly from age 7 to 16 for being nothing more than English .

Do you think Canarians accept integration?

I think they do more these days , but in the 1980's when i was growing up here there was a lot of hostility.

Some night clubs, bars, restaurants and hotels charge Canarians higher prices than tourists and British residents. What is your opinion of this?

See previous post.

Would you accept a foreign society/area in Britain that charged higher prices to the British residents? (Explain answer)

Im not from there.

Do you think the Canary Islands lack Canarian culture in the tourist areas?

Yes but not sure it's sufficiently demanded by tourists, hence the lack of it.

Would you like more to see more Canarian culture rather than British culture in the tourist areas of the Canary Islands, for example, traditions, food, and celebrations?

Hmmm - don't care.

Do you think that an improvement can be made to the Canary Islands in some way?

Of course . But thats a separate dissertation surely???

lauren1xx
17-12-2011, 22:04
Thats really interesting to know. But it is still discrimination and you canīt tar everyone with the same brush.

Margaretta
17-12-2011, 22:04
I would like to have seen a more professional approach here Lauren i.e. a form which could be downloaded with tick and comment boxes. (Just looked back and seen that Cainaries is going to help you with this.) Reading the aims of the dissertation I'm not sure that 'ex-pats' are really the best focus for questions about the impact on tourism.
As with Warbey I feel that there is a negative emphasis in your questions and that Canarians themselves would be the best people to answer about the impact of tourism as they have the statistics. I suggest Cabildos, Tourist offices etc. Your first few questions are general and then there is a question about a specific which is just one aspect of many elements of life on the island.
Although they can never truly be Canarians in name, many ex-pats have embraced the life of the people and do not emphasise feelings of 'foreign-ness' as they are so well integrated.

There are tell-tale phrases where you seem to have made up your mind already. Be very careful to create impartial questions and a good balance. be prepared to be surprised by your findings and conclusion and don't approach the studyt with preconceived ideas.

I wish you luck with your dissertation.

Loaded
17-12-2011, 22:17
Thats really interesting to know. But it is still discrimination and you canīt tar everyone with the same brush.

Yes but bear in mind the clubs that charge the Spanish to go in are usually Spanish owned, and the ones that charge higher prices
Are also Spanish owned.

lauren1xx
17-12-2011, 22:19
Hi thank you for your response Margaretta, its really good constructive feedback. I have distributed questionnaires to the Canarians regarding their experience of tourism and with tourists ect. I have also recorded interviews with people involved in the sector.

Unfortunately, I was unable to upload my questionnaire in itīs original format so had to copy and paste it making it look a little un professional.

If you like to spare a bit of your time I would really like to see what you have to say in response to the questionnaire.

doreen
17-12-2011, 22:20
You have probably come across this ... http://www.pasosonline.org/Publicados/4306/PS030306.pdf

Interesting if perceptions have changed (published 2006) with the Cabildo's push for 5 star tourism.

cainaries
17-12-2011, 22:23
Quick thought, Lauren - is your questionnaire available in Spanish? If so, some of us who aren't too busy (and this is Christmas week) could ask a few friends to fill it in as well. Taking into account Margaretta's point above.

lauren1xx
17-12-2011, 22:24
Loaded,
My research says different. I have interviewed some of the bar workers. Also if a few bars are going to do it, they are all going to do it. But at the end of the day, something like this would not happen in UK its discrimination. Prices should be the same for everyone.
Lauren

Hi,
Yes I have a version in Spanish which is similar but is aimed at Canarians. I will forward to your email address.
Thanks

Loaded
17-12-2011, 22:28
Loaded,
My research says different. I have interviewed some of the bar workers. Also if a few bars are going to do it, they are all going to do it. But at the end of the day, something like this would not happen in UK its discrimination. Prices should be the same for everyone.
Lauren

Hi,
Yes I have a version in Spanish which is similar but is aimed at Canarians. I will forward to your email address.
Thanks

Which bars though ?

lauren1xx
17-12-2011, 22:30
hang on Iīm going to have to have a read over my interviews lol

Added after 2 minutes:

hang on Iīm going to have to have a read over my interviews lol
ok according to my resources....5 bars on Starco all British owned, Jumpin Jacks Morrocan owned, sound of cream is Spanish Owned

Loaded
17-12-2011, 22:41
Hmm kind of like the problem in Blackburn, there's girls getting gang raped by Asian men but they can't say it's asian men doing it because that translates as - "pakis are all rapists" to the average Sun reader.

Basically there is a problem for club owners from Canarian punters who use the
Clubs but don't put money in so they get charged.

cainaries
17-12-2011, 22:49
Quick reply to Loaded's post number 20. I had just read out the questionnaire to OH and we got to the bit about why ex-pats don't learn Spanish and we both said 'idleness and arrogance' ... completely agree with you.

lauren1xx
17-12-2011, 22:51
How can you compare someone being raped to prices of pubs are you sick or what?

In UK people are charged the same prices. How about if British were charged more money to enter or consume, in their own country just for being British? Canarians are not the only ones who have drinks before they go out etc

doreen
17-12-2011, 22:54
Quick reply to Loaded's post number 20. I had just read out the questionnaire to OH and we got to the bit about why ex-pats don't learn Spanish and we both said 'idleness and arrogance' ... completely agree with you.

A little harsh ... partly due to the education system in the UK too perhaps - how much concentration is there on learning languages? And the average age of the ex pat must be a factor too ... along with "ghetto" life

cainaries
17-12-2011, 22:59
A little harsh ... partly due to the education system in the UK too perhaps - how much concentration is there on learning languages? And the average age of the ex pat must be a factor too ... along with "ghetto" life

Doreen, we know people who can't even count up to 10 in Spanish or say 'Gracias' or 'Buenos Dias' etc. And if they go to a shop where the staff don't speak any English they get really annoyed about it. This is not a good way to carry on! Where there's a will, there's a way.

lauren1xx
17-12-2011, 22:59
You cannot blame the education system totally. Yes children in the Uk should probably start learning languages a bit younger, but when you are in another country why not learn itīs language? Brits curse people who donīt speak English

slodgedad
17-12-2011, 23:00

I agree, kids are not seriously encouraged to learn another language in the UK as in other countries.

The ghetto aspect is also true. As a kid I lived in Germany amongst Germans and spoke German.

As an adult I have lived in Spain amongst Brits and speak semi Spanglish.

Loaded
17-12-2011, 23:06
How can you compare someone being raped to prices of pubs are you sick or what?

In UK people are charged the same prices. How about if British were charged more money to enter or consume, in their own country just for being British? Canarians are not the only ones who have drinks before they go out etc

Not at all, please don't bring it down to a rape vs entrance fee debate - this is about peoples perceptions of xenophobia and racism..... My example about the Asian rapists is a valid point where in blackburn politicians have to accept that there is an aspect of the Asian community that does partake in "raping for fun" but they have to be cautious not to make It an issue of race or stereotype against all
Asian men because that would be unfair, but they still need to find out why so many asian men in that area are raping....

Same with charging Spanish to enter clubs. The club owners know that 99% of the people
In the club that don't buy drinks will be the ones Having a botellon. By charging all Spanish an entrance fee they cut out the loss from lack of drink purchase but validate the claims that they are racist/ xenophobic.

What they are really
Doing it protecting their business from being exploited.

Which i guess is the "Asian rape" equivalent of people not letting Asians near their daughters despite them knowing deep down that not all Asians are rapists.

Wow this example could spiral out of control!!!!

lauren1xx
17-12-2011, 23:08
Ok so back to my questionnaire :wave:. There are so many opinionated people on here I would really appreciate it if you would fill one in! There has been some excellent response. Please inbox me your email addresses and I will forward the questionnaire on to you.

Loaded
17-12-2011, 23:14
I already replied . My replies
Are based on being a 31 year old
Guy who spent most his nights down las Americas until fatherhood took over.

doreen
17-12-2011, 23:15
You cannot blame the education system totally. Yes children in the Uk should probably start learning languages a bit younger, but when you are in another country why not learn itīs language? Brits curse people who donīt speak English

Believe me, I'm not an apologist for the monolingual British but would certainly think previous education (or lack of it) has much to do with it ... along with laziness and arrogance.

Doreen, Irish and a Spanish speaker :)

doreen
17-12-2011, 23:48
I didn't realise about these charges in discos, but would think it is the only instance where the Canarians are disadvantaged and it is really not such a major issue ... they are certainly not overcharged going to a Theatre or Football match or going about any other leisure activity.

Those ex pats who deal with the Authorities might counter argue that they are, at times, treated unfairly compared to locals.

timmylish
18-12-2011, 00:03
Although I,m not gonna become involved in your questionnaire I honestly believe you are way off track if you cannot accept that the way children are taught in the UK is the root cause of low take up rates of foreign languages. I have lived in 4 countries in the world supporting entirely different languages and have to ask why in each of those countries I regularly came across children, teenagers and adults who spoke at least one foreign language to the population of that country. Against that none of my children, grandchildren and their friends speak anything other than English. On top of that having spent 20 years of my time here in the tourist industry the number of kids, teenagers or adults, I came across, speaking anything other than English would be so low as not to register on any pro rata per head of the population scale! Lack of direction in the system, in the English speaking world, is the only reason for these failures. Notice I have not said UK/Ire. educational system but the English speaking world. States, Australia, New Zealand, Canada and such countries have populations who do NOT speak any other language other than English. Because of that simple fact I believe your research is and will be flawed. Sorry, but its just my opinion.

doreen
18-12-2011, 00:12
I think another flaw would be failure to investigate the linguistic abilities of the other major Tourist market for Tenerife - Germans ... only a few percentage points behind the British market: older Germans and those who were brought up in the former East Bloc adapt less well.

TenerifePool
18-12-2011, 00:16
In Santa Cruz, for example and generally in the non tourist areas, it is accepted that everyone pays an entrance fee to the clubs. The fee is usually about the price of a drink, and a free drink is included.

A club that I use regularly in Santa Cruz, now always wave me in for free at the door, obviously because they know that I spend in the bar. I'm not gaining anything by my free entry, just paying for my first drink at the bar instead of the door.

Regarding the effects of tourism, one issue that has been very positive for Tenerife is that the majority of the rapid development of the tourist industry has occured on land that was basically desert just a few years ago leaving the true culture of the island more or less intact.

beerfan
18-12-2011, 00:16
Doreen, Irish and a Spanish speaker :)

Can you speak Gaelige? I can't; just an enquiry.

Ecky Thump
18-12-2011, 00:29
Can you speak Gaelige? I can't; just an enquiry.

My father was taught Gaelige (Irish Gaelic) at school in Greenock, it was because of all the steamers that sailed the islands around the west coast of Scotland in the late 1800's and early 1900's had a large amount of Irish crew members, also in the area there were a lot of Irish immigrants who worked in the ship yards.

beerfan
18-12-2011, 01:19
Was that even necessary as a language though back in those days? I have the idea that the use of Irish has slowly evaporated in much of Ireland (except in Northern Ireland, natch). :)

I take it you're from Glasgow Ecky Thump? :)

Ecky Thump
18-12-2011, 01:24
Was that even necessary as a language though back in those days? I have the idea that the use of Irish has slowly evaporated in much of Ireland (except in Northern Ireland, natch). :)

I take it you're from Glasgow Ecky Thump? :)

Nope, not Glasgow, Johnshaven was where I was born, then I moved to London, then Birmingham and now I live just south of Greenock.

Even today you will find crew members on the ferries talking Gaelic, I think it so the passengers don't know what they are saying.

slodgedad
18-12-2011, 01:46
I know this may be slightly off topic but my brother's 3 kids went to Welsh School where the only time you were permitted to Speak English was in English class.

English spelling suffered slightly but their propensity for other languages was profound.

Why do schools in England treat languages as a 'take it or leave it' subject.

The vast majority of Brits abroad are embarrassed to try something in a new language but the rest of Europe thrive on it.

lauren1xx
18-12-2011, 09:37
Nice feedback. In the North the prices are the same for everyone, I used to live in La Laguna. Obviously, if the bars get to know you, theyīll probs let you in free etc like most places. With regards to development there are both pros and cons. In the last 20 years Tenerife has come a long way, with the help of tourism but some could argue that now its becoming a bit too concrete?

Added after 5 minutes:

Doreen, I will only be touching briefly on this. It would be a whole other dissertation in itself. Also in response to Timmylish, have you ever thought that because English is one of the most spoken languages in the world that natives feel that they can get by without learning it. I think that this a more likely reason than people not being exposed enough to different languages. Anyone can learn a language if they want to but, its whether they want to.

beerfan
18-12-2011, 09:46
The vast majority of Brits abroad are embarrassed to try something in a new language but the rest of Europe thrive on it.

Perhaps because British and Irish people don't so much need to learn another language and in some cases are discouraged from doing so by the locals themselves? English is a world language after all. Speaking Czech won't get you far outside the Czech Republic but speaking English (with a few Czech words) will get you much further in Czechia. :)

lauren1xx
18-12-2011, 09:49
Slodgedad- Children that are exposed to languages at a young age become more proficient in linguistic abilities. Children up to being 11 can be become fluent like a native but after that age it become a bit more difficult to grasp things.

I personally think that some people choose not to learn another language because they know they can get by with English. You cannot blame it all on the UK education system, I mean if they introduced a system where children started to learn languages as young as 8, like in other countries, Iīm sure it would encourage more language learning.

Totally agree

doreen
18-12-2011, 10:48
Nice feedback. In the North the prices are the same for everyone, I used to live in La Laguna. Obviously, if the bars get to know you, theyīll probs let you in free etc like most places. With regards to development there are both pros and cons. In the last 20 years Tenerife has come a long way, with the help of tourism but some could argue that now its becoming a bit too concrete?

There are so many issues here ... overdevelopment of the tourist areas due to easy credit and greed: cases like Caso Arona (http://eldia.es/2011-07-28/TENERIFE/1-juez-mantiene-imputados-concluir-diligencias-caso-Arona.htm) where local politicians are being indicted for corruption in handing out of building licences: water shortages (I understand major development on the edges of Los Cristianos has been stopped because of this): the Cabildo's Moratorium unless 5 star hotels (and the chaos that has ensued regardng Illegal Lettings)

Equally the Cabildo's plan to move away from Tourism and develop Tenerife as a major Transport or Telecommunications Hub (http://www.diariodeavisos.com/2011/diariodeavisos/content/12299/)

How vunerable is Tenerife to natural catastrophes that would affect Tourism - El Hierro economy so badly damaged by current volcanic activity ... if the long overdue erruption of Katla in Iceland closes airspace for months or longer, we might get a glimpse of the dangers of reliance on one industry such as Tourism.

Also, isn't it inevitable that an area within the EU with a temperate climate (the Land of Eternal Spring) and a relatively stable Government will become a destination for ex-pats

tracy hampshire
18-12-2011, 11:05
the bars, clubs etc in the north do not charge the same prices for everyone, i have friends who work in restraunts, who tell me there is 2 price lists, one for locals & one for tourists, i worked in a bar here next door to a very large night club, and when my clients wanted to go in they were never charged, where as the locals were, they are charged, say 10 euros entry and get 2 drinks free, if this didn't happen i'm afraid the owners would probably go bust, the young canarians will stand outside the clubs and drink on the street, then go in to dance then back out again for a drink, they do not spend any money in the clubs, the local 24 hour stores have offers where you by a pack, rum, coke, bag of ice & plastic glasses, all for a cheap price, aimed at the yong people drinking on the street, so what are the club owners to do not discriminate and go bust ?

canarybird
18-12-2011, 11:07
Just a small correction to a comment above: Canada is not a country where the population speaks only English since it is officially a bilingual country where French is part of the curriculum at most schools, including French immersion which is an elective system taught in the mainly English-speaking provinces where all school subjects are taught in the French language starting with kindergarten and ending twelve years later.

Other language choices for high school students are German and Spanish. My grandson studies Spanish at his school and my granddaughter has become a teacher of French Immersion after learning all her school subjects in French. She now teaches art, history, mathematics etc. all in spoken French to her English speaking students. The system is widespread there.

Oh and there are many local small restaurants here on Tenerife where tourists can be charged more than the locals for food. One has to check carefully the bill against the prices on the menu before paying, as there can often be a difference. Thereīs one restaurant in my neighbourhood which tries this on anyone who appears to be a foreigner.

Canarybird

beerfan
18-12-2011, 11:17
Just a small correction to a comment above: Canada is not a country where the population speaks only English since it is officially a bilingual country where French is part of the curriculum at most schools, including French immersion which is an elective system taught in the mainly English-speaking provinces where all school subjects are taught in the French language starting with kindergarten and ending twelve years later.

Yes, I was going to mention this. The Canadian variant of French is the dominant language in Québec rather than English.

Oh and there are many local small restaurants here on Tenerife where tourists can be charged more than the locals for food. One has to check carefully the bill against the prices on the menu before paying, as there can often be a difference. Thereīs one restaurant in my neighbourhood which tries this on anyone who appears to be a foreigner.

In fact, checking the bill is a good idea in general as I have had drinks charged to my bill that I didn't consume and so on. Oh, and don't eat the bread that they put on the table as they charge you for it.

Suej
18-12-2011, 11:50
Is anyone going to fill in the OPīs questionaire???:laugh:

Harlequin
18-12-2011, 12:00
WOW, if ever I saw loaded questions...

Medman
18-12-2011, 12:09

As a resident, do you like living in Canary Islands? (Advantages/disadvantages?)

What general impression do you get of the Canariansī relationship/ behaviour towards foreign residents/tourists?

What do you think of the British society of Tenerife? (Advantages/disadvantages?)

Do you think Canarians have a stereotype of British residents / tourists? (If yes explain)
Do you think some foreign residents / tourists take advantage and perhaps provoke a negative stereotype of themselves to the Canarians? (Explain answer)

Have you ever felt segregated / discriminated against by Canarians? (If yes explain)

Do you think the Canary Islands lack Canarian culture in the tourist areas? (why?)

Do you think that an improvement can be made to the Canary Islands in some way? (Explain answer)

Nosey little blighter aren't you ? :tongue:

doreen
18-12-2011, 12:32

Nah, we're too busy critiquing it :lol:

caroletenerife
18-12-2011, 13:45

like it sometimes, advantages: the weather, disadvantages: distance from family, clothes shopping is shockingly badly

none, i know alot and they are all different, just like in the UK

It depends on the behaviour of the tourists, they are reliant on tourists for their income...but they put up with a lot of ***** (especially from drunken brits), and they get impatient with those who refuse to learn the language (just like in UK)

haha, again, too general, some are great, some are not.
Advantages are that you have a common language, culture etc to relate to. Disadvantages, they are very gossipy and nosey

Laziness..end of, me included

football top wearing men with bad dress sense, and tattooed women, (a Canarian told me that)

YES. Alchohol is usually involved, they do themselves no favours

Some shop will serve canarians before tourists, only small shops though, in my experience

i think they do if immigrants live amoungst them and adopt their language and culture (again like UK), some immigrants segregate themselves by choosing to live in communities where the majority of resident are their own nationality

Never came across this, so cant answer

dont live in Britain, but i doubt if they would

Yes, because whoever was in charge of tourism in the 70s and 80's was an idiot and let anybody build and open anything they liked...hence it looks like Blackpool in some area

It would be nice

not my job, but I think they should try to promote the diversity of the island more and not focus on the beach fronts

Hope this helps you. good luck at Uni x

lauren1xx
18-12-2011, 19:08
Iīve noticed

warbey
18-12-2011, 20:30
I went to a |Secondary School and was taught French for five Years to G.C.E.Standard
Following that, I first encountered a Frenchman Six Years later and A Couple from the Outskirts of Paris about 15 Years after.
I started Travelling to Spain by Train a long time after that.

I can remember some but not too much of what I learnt, but enough to traverse Paris and to exchange pleasantries with
the French People who were sociable, and in the Minority.
Coming back from Spain through France a Girl Student informed Me that the French I spoke was in fact a
"High" French ind whilst understandable, wasnt the normal spoken French.
So, no contact and not the Spoken French either.

This was the Period I holidayed in Spain where Little English was heard.
I gradually picked some up, and try to be polite and friendly with People speaking ANY Language.

Yes, I agree, in the Past, Languages were not "Thought Through"
This isnt as bad now and the Usual Syllabus reflects this nowadays.

A question for Lauren.
You say You lived in Tenerife for two Years.
Are You Fluent in Canarian/Spanish Spanish..?

lauren1xx
18-12-2011, 20:36
más o menos :)

doreen
18-12-2011, 20:39
Coming back from Spain through France a Girl Student informed Me that the French I spoke was in fact a
"High" French ind whilst understandable, wasnt the normal spoken French.
So, no contact and not the Spoken French either.

Ah, the arrogance of youth .. thinking they are the centre of the universe ! You can be quite sure warbey, that shop assistants, taxi drivers, bank staff would understand your "High French" - argot spoken by us Oldies would sound ridiculous.

I have several "friends" on Facebook whose posts I hardly understand despite my good knowledge of Spanish ... once explained, most of the words will not be entering my vocabulary :)

cainaries
18-12-2011, 20:55
Some of us try to help out, Suej!

caroletenerife
19-12-2011, 03:16
Some of us try to help out, Suej!
i thought i did. the girl is just trying to get answers to questions, the questions may not be perfect but at least she is asking, many just copy and paste from the net, so good on her. I remember my dissertation, it was a bl**dy nightmare,

lauren1xx
19-12-2011, 09:06
Thank you Caroletenerife. if you want I can send you my questionnaire to your email? I couldnīt upload it on here, so had to copy and paste.

Lauren

Added after 1 48 minutes:

Hi everyone, thank you all for your comment its really good to see things from different perspectives. By the way, those of you know think that Iīm a man or not a student, I can show you my students identification. I really wouldnīt know anyone who would go to this trouble if it wasnīt for research?

Lauren

cainaries
19-12-2011, 23:16
i thought i did. the girl is just trying to get answers to questions, the questions may not be perfect but at least she is asking, many just copy and paste from the net, so good on her. I remember my dissertation, it was a bl**dy nightmare,

caroletenerife - I hadn't even seen your reply when I wrote mine - I was just a bit surprised about some of the very negative comments on this thread. Certainly wasn't having a go at you!