PDA

View Full Version : Other What are the pros and cons on the area you live in in Tenerife?

Leanne
18-12-2011, 13:41
Could people take the time (if they don't mind) to give me the pros and cons of the areas they live in Tenerife. Anything from crime rates-education. Are expat communities a better place to live or Spanish communities. Your personal experiences will help me choose where to have a look at when I visit to look next year. THANX

Cookey
21-12-2011, 14:49
Hi Leanne....I have lived in San Eugenio Alto for 3 1/2 years now. The best thing I like about it is the convenience of being only a 15 minute walk (down hill) to San Eugenio Bajo, Puerto Colon - which is where most of my jobs have been, no need for a car the buses to Los Cristianos are regular and cheap at €1.35 or €1.05 with a bono card and Mercadona is near BUT as I mentioned The Hill...to walk back up is about 30/40 minutes the latter for Summer (as I have to stop for a lot for water and only have short legs!!!) I did use to have a car but was too much of a pain trying to find somewhere to park so used to leave it at home.

As for crime stats I donīt really worry about that. I have regularly gone to bed and left my keys on the outside of the door or not pushed the door shut properly...no you lot not telling you my apartment number!!! Canīt remember the last time I heard about burglaries, car break ins etc maybe someone will come along with more info.

The only thing I donīt like is it being near a tourist area, but if thatīs what you need to be near for work etc then itīs ideal, there are still some little spanish restaurants and bars etc you just need to look for them.

I would eventually like to move further out if we get a car again and I know you get more for your rent (we currently pay €450 all inc, but we have been here a while and got a reduction), but itīs just the prospect of if the car breaks down etc and youīve got no one to fall back on, even though the buses are regular but if you have to rush between work school etc.We were looking at Adeje town once as is only about 10/15 minutes on a bus but we are reluctant to move as we have a very understanding landlord.

The best thing you can do is come out and explore for yourself.

Good luck with your plans..I should have done this much research before I moved out.:duh:

Louise

Leanne
13-03-2012, 23:14
sorry it's took me so long to reply,not had a laptop for a while and using my mobile was costing me a small fortune lol. sounds like you live in a nice area! Im coming over in 2 weeks and hope to get a few contacts e.t.c. your rely is very helpful and thank you for taking the time to reply as I worry bout things such as this as Im a single mom and will be living alone when I finally get out there. Crime is rife where I live in england and jobs are now few and far between unless your willing to do job experience and work 30+ a week for nothing, as the government seems to have created a loop hole for companies to get workers for nothing. so any other helpful advice would be fantastic.thanx again lea xx

bonitatime
14-03-2012, 11:58
We live in Adeje, it is quiet but there are lots of shops and is very Spanish. Rents are reasonable and there is a good bus service into the centre (los Cris, PDLA)
There are good sports facilites including a new state of the art local gym a public pool padel courts etc.
The cultural centre has loads of classes including Spanish as a foreign language.
There are several parks for children and junior and senior schools
I am not aware of any major crime problems

anegib
15-03-2012, 12:11
Hello, I live in a village above the town of Candelaria. It is about 40 minutes up the road from the South on the way to Santa Cruz. It has 3 schools which I am told by Spanish friends are excellent. I always feel very safe when I go there for shopping etc and have not heard of much crime in the area. There is plenty of accommodation to rent or buy at the moment with the crisis hitting hard. Also no other British people around so you would need to learn some Spanish. Some of the professional people like doctors and lawyers do speak English but the normal everyday person does not. Hope that his helps you. Good luck with your move here.

bonitatime
15-03-2012, 21:28
Anegib can we enquire where you live? If you would rather not say no problem.

terrapin
16-03-2012, 10:30
I live in Adeje and couldnt fault it, lovely place friendly people, great schools, sports facilities, loads of shops, nice views good transport route, cheap rents what more can I say............

miketikolo
19-03-2012, 10:01
I shifted this difficult expression around in my mind for moments while my French neighbors ongoing to babble away at a extreme speed, which with my restricted French, was quite difficult to keep up with.