PDA

View Full Version : ADSL providers in Puerto de la Cruz, Tenerife?

mlun
18-12-2011, 16:52
I live in El Botanico near La Paz, and unfortunately we only have 3MB ADSL. We pay as those who have 20MB, or probably even more (40.50€ per month incl. line). Quite anoying, so does anyone know where to get information about when ADSL2 comes to this area?

Currently we are with Orange, but I have heard that it should be possible to get 6MB (asked the local Telefonica shop, and she used at least 5 minutes to verify it, and she said she was 100% sure we could get this speed). Orange will not change things, and then I have tried various alternatives. Ya has been purchased by Orange, so that's no longer an alternative. Telefonica is too expensive unless you have your mobile with them (which I certainly won't have). Tele2 has been taken over by Telefonica. Jaztel told me this morning that they could only give us 1MB, so not an alternative either.

I would be good to change, and if not giving an increase in bandwidth right now, I then have more options to change back in 6-12 months. Anyone who could suggest an alternative in Puerto?

timmylish
18-12-2011, 17:32
What about this one as I,ve just seen this to-day afetr reaching an agreement with them for 10mgs!!!!!!!!!!! I reckon a lady I know will be on the phone to them 'ra morra' seeking clarification!
http://www.movistar.es/on/pub/servicios/onTOEntrada/0,,entrada%2Binternet_cp%2Bv_segmento%2BAHOG%2Bv_i dioma%2Bes%2BambitoAcceso%2Bpub,00.html?uri=/on/io/es/tienda/precios/internet_2.html&opc=b&selec=duo25_l&pest=&v_procede=&v_segmento=AHOG&v_idioma=es

Muppet
18-12-2011, 17:50
I live in El Botanico near La Paz, and unfortunately we only have 3MB ADSL. We pay as those who have 20MB, or probably even more (40.50€ per month incl. line). Quite anoying, so does anyone know where to get information about when ADSL2 comes to this area?

Currently we are with Orange, but I have heard that it should be possible to get 6MB (asked the local Telefonica shop, and she used at least 5 minutes to verify it, and she said she was 100% sure we could get this speed). Orange will not change things, and then I have tried various alternatives. Ya has been purchased by Orange, so that's no longer an alternative. Telefonica is too expensive unless you have your mobile with them (which I certainly won't have). Tele2 has been taken over by Telefonica. Jaztel told me this morning that they could only give us 1MB, so not an alternative either.

I would be good to change, and if not giving an increase in bandwidth right now, I then have more options to change back in 6-12 months. Anyone who could suggest an alternative in Puerto?

As it stands today, all ADSL on the island originates from teleCONica. All 3rd party suppliers - Orange, DT, Vodafone, Europa et all, have to buy the ADSL they resell from source. Most, if not all infra-structure on the island (i.e. the equipment in the exchanges together with the connections into them and the phone lines out of them) is far from new and pretty much everyone pays the same price for service from teleCONica whether you are a direct customer of theirs, or are provided by a 3rd party.

This will slowly change as the new link to the mainland begins to come on stream, but until 3rd party providers are allowed into the exchanges to install their own equipment, or dig the roads up and lay their own cables, you (and everyone else) are stuck with what you have for the forseeable future i think.

If you put your landline number into the appropriate boxes here http://www.movistar.es/on/pub/servicios/onTOEntrada/0,,entrada%2Brd_coberturas%2Bv_segmento%2BAHOG%2Bv _idioma%2Bes%2Bmenu_izq%2B2%2BambitoAcceso%2Bpub,0 0.html?uri=/no/servlet/no32hojg&v_segmento=AHOG you can see the best speed available on your exchange.

All that said, frankly it is amazing any of it works at all when you see the state of some of the roadside cabinets!

mlun
18-12-2011, 18:15
@timmylish: Thanks, I had seen that "promotion". But the sad story is that I can only get 3MB (maybe 6MB), and please notice the quite ridicolous price of 55€ + IVA after the 6 months "promotion" expires. But it might be worth trying anyway to make it possible to go back to for example Orange in 12 months.

@Muppet: Yes indeed, but the same thing can be said in many countries. Of course the infrastructure must be capable of delivering high speeds, but I believe in many other european countries the former monopolist is being forced to sell access to it's cables at decent prices. That probably also makes more sence than lots of companies starts digging and make duplicate structures. But in Spain it seems as if Telefonica has too good connections to the parliament. Would love to see them get the knife. Thanks for the link - that's the first time I have got somewhere to look this up myself. But interestingly that the Telefonica lady told me I could get 6MB (the website says 3MB) - I was told the same thing when I was with Telefonica last year. At that time I think they would charge me 6 or 7€ extra monthly to upgrade, but as they offered 20MB cheaper than what I then paid for 3MB I told them what I truly meant of them and changed to Orange.

Muppet
18-12-2011, 18:58
I believe I am correct in saying the fastest ADSL speed on the island is circa 10 megs - to get more you have to essentially have two strapped together muy complicado

Harlequin
01-01-2012, 11:28
If you're still in need of an ADSL service in the north please feel free to get in touch, just click a link in my signature to learn more.

Also, for those of you interested in a reliable UK TV service that provides 24 UK TV channels we've just launched: IPTV (January Offer) (http://www.tenerifetelecom.com/en/banners/iptv-offer-january)

Set Top Box: Just 150 Euros
Monthly Subcription: Just 25 euros

Saving: Around 20% of the regular price.

January Only...!

Harlequin
12-02-2012, 07:46
Ours went back up from 1st February.

The ADSL stays at 24.90€ though...

northender
12-02-2012, 11:39
Hi Everyone,
I would appreciate some advice from members living in the north, I live part of the year in La paz in a mixed german, spanish complex which has no English programming.
I would like to have access to some English TV the BBC if possible.I use mobile internet at the moment as I have no landline.
Can I resolve the Tv issue with a digital box feeding off a large satelite dish on the roof of the complex? or do I need to use another method?

Whilst lurking on the forum I have been impressed by everyones knowledge, generosity, and their time they have given to helping others.

Megaloo
12-02-2012, 11:52
I live in the North and also in a block with mixed Nationalities we have BBC from a top box and a small ariel, it cost about 600 Euros to be installed and is 90 Euros a year maintanance . I must say that it is sometimes affected by a very cloudy day, but on the whole it works well and is a clear picture.
PM me and I can give you details.