PDA

View Full Version : Is Tenerife becoming too over developed and polluted?

lauren1xx
19-12-2011, 17:07
Hi everyone,
Is it me or is Tenerife getting a bit too over crowded and polluted?

CIM
19-12-2011, 18:11
I think its you...

YOUNG GOLFER
19-12-2011, 19:03
the troll population seems to be on the increase at the moment.........as for pollution don't think there is a real problem here.

Stoney
19-12-2011, 19:23
Think its you, just look at all the places for sale or rent. Maybe too much litter about but polluted no

doreen
19-12-2011, 19:25
the troll population seems to be on the increase at the moment.........as for pollution don't think there is a real problem here.

A little unfair to classify lauren as a troll ... lazy Uni student, perhaps ;)

Pollution ... check the Greens stance on the expansion of Grandilla Port; lack of infrastructure for sewage ... and water shortages :)

bonitatime
19-12-2011, 20:43
The area which is tourist orientated is so small compared with the rest of the island especially as the parts which are touristic aren't really used by the majority of the island population

lauren1xx
20-12-2011, 08:40
I canīt be lol Iīm still in England until New Years eve.

Added after 6 minutes:

I wish I was a lazy student, but unfortunately not the case Doreen. I`ts 7.30am why am I not in bed because Iīm either a nutter or need to write my 12,000 dissertation. Most of your comments and feedback are really useful, like el caso Abona and an article from pasos and this last one. Your worth your weight in gold :)

Added after 7 minutes:

Ok so according to ATAN Tenerife is one of the most overpopulated places in the world, and well on itīs way to being overdeveloped too because of this.

I would have thought there is quite a lot of water pollution, because of the boats ect, also I have noticed that Las Americas beaches have quite a lot of crap in the water?

tonypub
20-12-2011, 09:29
i think the development/building has stopped for a few years due to the economic downturn

lauren1xx
20-12-2011, 09:41
Hi TonyPub, How are you? I emailed you when you were giving information about the clash of the Titans etc. Hope you are well. So you think that development has stopped, but how can you be sure?
Lauren

tonypub
20-12-2011, 09:49
the developers/banks have run out of cash in spain

lauren1xx
20-12-2011, 09:56
Who says that? I know everywhere is still in the credit crunch but do you think this is putting a curve in Tenerife becoming overdeveloped?

A.P.&.S.S
20-12-2011, 10:14
Lauren, I agree with Tony, you just have to look round the place, I stay in Palm Mar (small village type place) and on the way in - Under the arch - there are 3-4 started complexes that have never been touched for 3 years or so, they are at different stages of build from just bear blocks to almost complete. I do believe one of the complexes has been taken over and work is starting again on it......VERY slow with only a couple of workmen everyday!!

This is only in Palm Mar, but while driving around the south you see the same everywhere, indicating cash problems/companies going burst etc etc. This is sad but like it everywhere just now not just Tenerife. Tourism is on the up (so they say) so that's a good thing for the Island and the business who rely on it.

Mike

lauren1xx
20-12-2011, 10:18
Although the crisis has been bad for the economy and businesses I suppose itīs been a little bit more positive for the environment.

A.P.&.S.S
20-12-2011, 10:33
Although the crisis has been bad for the economy and businesses I suppose itīs been a little bit more positive for the environment.

Maybe so, but many businesses have packed up and gone home which is a sad day, the ones who remain have had to diversify which is a good thing in business and keeps them all competitive.....It will all come back again...........just don't know when, so in the mean time its survival!! lol

doreen
20-12-2011, 10:45
ATAN (think Greens) can be extremist at times ... I recall them talking of the risk of another Twin Towers disaster because of the oil refinery in Santa Cruz (pollution indeed, but not due to Tourism)

http://www.atan.org/refineria/peste.htm

lauren1xx
20-12-2011, 10:53
Haha did you know the area where the refinery is itīs called "Buenos Aires" but it smells so bad around there lol.

ATAN not such a reliable source then. But Iīm finding it useful because they write about the types of pollution through tourism etc so they canīt be all wrong, just perhaps a little over exaggerated.

Muppet
20-12-2011, 11:13
Tourism creates a different type of pollution than industry - noise and light being two primary types. Arguably it doesn't so any long term damage and to a degree can be controlled more easily

lauren1xx
20-12-2011, 11:32
Yeah definitely, tourism in Tenerife causes problems in the environment eg excessive use of water, litter and destruction of natural habitats due to construction of bars and hotels which is long term.

tonypub
20-12-2011, 12:24
Yeah definitely, tourism in Tenerife causes problems in the environment eg excessive use of water, litter and destruction of natural habitats due to construction of bars and hotels which is long term.lol,constuction of bars :crylaughing:

doreen
20-12-2011, 12:34
Haha did you know the area where the refinery is itīs called "Buenos Aires" but it smells so bad around there lol.

ATAN not such a reliable source then. But Iīm finding it useful because they write about the types of pollution through tourism etc so they canīt be all wrong, just perhaps a little over exaggerated.

I'm sure some of your Department will be Lefties, so no harm quoting them :lol:

lauren1xx
20-12-2011, 12:55
What you laughin at? construction of anything contributes to over development

Ecky Thump
20-12-2011, 13:05
What you laughin at? construction of anything contributes to over development

I think, Tony is laughing because at the moment there are more bars closing down than being built.:)

lauren1xx
20-12-2011, 13:14
ah I see. But the building are still there. So I take it construction is a bit dead then at this moment in time.

Ecky Thump
20-12-2011, 13:28
ah I see. But the building are still there. So I take it construction is a bit dead then at this moment in time.

A visit to Tenerife would show you that just like the UK and many other parts of the world that the building/construction industry is suffering from the present economic climate and there are many projects that are half completed.

willowlily
20-12-2011, 15:45

i am supprised at the buenos aires tag as i lived in downtown buenos aires five years ago and found the city and surrounding areas delightful, no more smelly than any other major city in the world. "where are you getting your info from"

lauren1xx
20-12-2011, 15:50
Personal experience, when you drive into S.C near the refinery it smells. Anyways Im not bothered whether its smells or not to be honest but some of the Canarians say that too.

timmylish
20-12-2011, 16:12
Personal experience, when you drive into S.C near the refinery it smells. Anyways Im not bothered whether its smells or not to be honest but some of the Canarians say that too.

Had you been able to endure a "personal experience" some 15 / 17 years ago then you would have encountered exactly the same "smells". After all, said refinery has been situated there for countless years so its not something new!

bonitatime
20-12-2011, 16:31
I remember the refinery when I was a child way too many years ago and it has always smelt bad. I would actually say it is better than it used to be.
As for the port in Granadilla, the whole Santa Cruz sea front is stacked full on containers spoiling views and lifestyle possobilities because some but not many people dont want a second port in the south.
Thousands of people recently turned out in the north of the island to ask for a port so there is a contradiction there.