PDA

View Full Version : Football When is a match between 2 teams referred to as a derby?

henry
19-12-2011, 20:53
you know broskiīs iīm scrathing my head here. i really thought a derby in football is bewteen local clubs. like las palmas vs c.d.tenerife, real madrid vs atlento madrid. but when my cuz said to me if i saw the derby last week? i ask him what derby he replay real madrid vs barcelona. i told him thatīs not a derby. he reply sure it is the radio marca said it a derby. i think marca make a error. but yet i been hearding among spanish people saying the game is a derby. i know it not but i heard more and more spanish people talking bout the real madrid and barcelona el derby grande. the big derby so what you broski think between two big clubs do you call it a derby?

example swansea vs liverpool derby or not?

i know it not but like i said i heard more and more spanish people saying it a derby.

tonypub
19-12-2011, 20:56
you know broskiīs iīm scrathing my head here. i really thought a derby in football is bewteen local clubs. like las palmas vs c.d.tenerife, real madrid vs atlento madrid. but when my cuz said to me if i saw the derby last week? i ask him what derby he replay real madrid vs barcelona. i told him thatīs not a derby. he reply sure it is the radio marca said it a derby. i think marca make a error. but yet i been hearding among spanish people saying the game is a derby. i know it not but i heard more and more spanish people talking bout the real madrid and barcelona el derby grande. the big derby so what you broski think between two big clubs do you call it a derby?

example swansea vs liverpool derby or not?

i know it not but like i said i heard more and more spanish people saying it a derby.bolton v everton would be a derby perhaps as there both fighting a relagation battle,a relagation derby

marbro8
19-12-2011, 21:06
a derby is traditionally between two clubs that are within about 20-30 km of each other i thought? like a local derby:spin:

henry
19-12-2011, 21:09
a derby is traditionally between two clubs that are within about 20-30 km of each other i thought? like a local derby:spin: i thought so too!!!!

AL JAY
19-12-2011, 21:10
A Derby is between 2 clubs from the same city H, Everton vs Liverpool or Rangers vs Celtic etc, if you had it where most of your fanbase is Liverpools would be in Oslo or Devon :crylaughing: :wink:

henry
19-12-2011, 21:26
i know that aj but why is the spanish called bareclona and real madrid a derby? that what i donīt understand??

AL JAY
19-12-2011, 21:48
i know that aj but why is the spanish called bareclona and real madrid a derby? that what i donīt understand??

They call it "El Classico" between Real Madrid & Barcelona as they are supposedley the giants of Spanish football. Real Madrids derby is against Atletico Madrid and Barcelona's is against Espanyol.

slodgedad
19-12-2011, 22:04
I have never heard it referred to as a 'derby' before. Plenty of other names but not that.

bonitatime
19-12-2011, 22:07
I have heard it called a derby but not recently.
On this theory not sure how we have a derby with Las palmas and a little derby with Vecindario

CaribeCelt
20-12-2011, 00:07
Recently on BBC gary lineker was spouting about "the biggest derby in the world"refering to Man U v Liverpool.

YOUNG GOLFER
20-12-2011, 01:46
A Derby is between 2 clubs from the same city H, Everton vs Liverpool or Rangers vs Celtic etc, if you had it where most of your fanbase is Liverpools would be in Oslo or Devon :crylaughing: :wink:

Heard that lol ...............

Added after 4 minutes:

I would of thought a Derby is against the nearest team....be it 5 10 or 100 miles.

For example Everton against Everton reserves:hi::hi::hi::hi::hi:

cainaries
20-12-2011, 10:02
Southampton v Portsmouth is a 'local derby' and I had never thought about what a 'derby' itself would be until Henry started this thread. Very thought-provoking is Henry. (I mean this as a compliment!). What does the saying itself mean?