PDA

View Full Version : Places to avoid or watch out for in Tenerife.

mini--c
08-06-2011, 22:38
So we all no of places to avoid and that so in tenerife what bars etc should one avoid?? maybe give a reason also

with cheese
08-06-2011, 23:26
German ones, no try any you fancy. If around Veronicas area late at night you may want to avoid one or two, or all, this depends on taste.

Loaded
09-06-2011, 00:20
any restaurant that has pictures of food either in the menu or even worse; on their sign!

mini--c
09-06-2011, 00:21
ha so prob nearly all of them!
avoid aberdeen steak house around the corner from los floritas rotten food and savage prices

AL JAY
09-06-2011, 00:21
Aberdeen steak houses!

Loaded
09-06-2011, 00:24
anywhere that advertises TV programmes on their entertainment boards.......

jack oakley
09-06-2011, 00:31
So we all no of places to avoid and that so in tenerife what bars etc should one avoid?? maybe give a reason also

Avoid the electrical and tobbaco shop on the seafront opposite the old abandoned villa in Los Cristianos, if you are on the port beach with your back to the ships there are several restaurants in front of you one of which is the Promenade Bar, 2 doors to the right is an electrical/camera/tobacco shop run by asians. It is ripp-off city, i went in last saturday to buy 20 ciggs for my friend, i noticed the back wall was stacked with ciggaretts of all makes with price stickers that advertised silk cut purple as 16-95 for a box of two hundred, i thought i would take advantage and purchase six boxes, i took them to the till and the seller said One Hundred and fifty euros please. I pointed him to the sign saying 16-95, he said that is in sterling, so i said i would pay One hundred and one pounds 70p in sterling, ie; 16-95 X 6=101-70. Shop man said he couldn't take sterling on a saturday, ok i said i will change the 101-70sterling into euros which at 110euros to the pound should make the price one hundred and twelve euros, he said no the euro price is 25euros for a 200 pack and you can only pay with euros changed at this shop, so i asked him what his pound to euro exchange rate was and he said SIXTY CENTS TO THE POUND. I pointed him to a board at the front of his shop saying WE CHANGE STERLING WITH NO COMMISSION AT 110 to the pound, I told him he was guilty of misrepresentation, he moved a large object and pointed to a notice the size of a postcard hiding behind it, it said, "ALL PRICES IN THIS SHOP ARE PRICED IN STERLING THE EURO PRICE WILL BE BASED ON OUR OWN EXCHANGE RATE OF 60pence to the euro". I told him he was a robbing ba....rd and walked out. Be warned tell your friends STAY AWAY FROM THE PLACE. Jack.O

mini--c
09-06-2011, 00:34
thats shocking hate shops and people like that

slodgedad
09-06-2011, 00:37
Exchange shops that advertise no commission and add an admin/ transaction charge.

Work out what you should get before you go in.

Flat fees are fine if you are changing a lot, but €5 euros on £20 is a bugger.

jack oakley
09-06-2011, 00:45
The point i was making Slodge was the shop was blatantly guilty of false pricing, their exchange valuations did not state admin charges for changing money..Jack.O

slodgedad
09-06-2011, 00:50
The point i was making Slodge was the shop was blatantly guilty of false pricing, their exchange valuations did not state admin charges for changing money, the truth was it is run by slimey little turds who think we britts are thick, they are still in business so some of must be..Jack.O

I realize that, but my post didn't refer to yours..Good post by the way.

Jackie
09-06-2011, 00:50
The point i was making Slodge was the shop was blatantly guilty of false pricing, their exchange valuations did not state admin charges for changing money, the truth was it is run by slimey little turds who think we britts are thick, they are still in business so some of must be..Jack.O

To be honest I started buying my fags in there because they were cheaper in there than anywhere else. After a few visits they started chatting because they obviously realised I was a resident and they then started giving me a discount and have done so ever since, they normally always chuck a few lighters in the bag as well.

AL JAY
09-06-2011, 00:58
There are still some Asian shops selling dodgy fake cigs as well, When you flip a pack open,look in the lid bit,it should be glued to the inside with writing on it, The Chinese don't use glue and the bit inside is not stuck down, One of the shops in CC Centro commercial opposite Parque Santiago 2 was selling silk cut and Embassy Regal for 16:95 all dodgy, Go to Spanish style or Usher on the same block as Sugar and Spice they are all Kosher albeit 23.5 euro!!!

jack oakley
09-06-2011, 01:00
To be honest I started buying my fags in there because they were cheaper in there than anywhere else. After a few visits they started chatting because they obviously realised I was a resident and they then started giving me a discount and have done so ever since, they normally always chuck a few lighters in the bag as well.

You must have an air of "i'm not thick i live here" about you so good luck and keep going back if you can get what you want at the price you want. I still think they are slimey little turds.xx Jack.O

Added after 2 minutes:

There are still some Asian shops selling dodgy fake cigs as well, When you flip a pack open,look in the lid bit,it should be glued to the inside with writing on it, The Chinese don't use glue and the bit inside is not stuck down, One of the shops in CC Centro commercial opposite Parque Santiago 2 was selling silk cut and Embassy Regal for 16:95 all dodgy, Go to Spanish style or Usher on the same block as Sugar and Spice they are all Kosher albeit 23.5 euro!!!

Hi Al, i usualy go to Spanish Style on the Sur. Jack.O

slodgedad
09-06-2011, 01:07
You must have an air of "i'm not thick i live here" about you so good luck and keep going back if you can get what you want at the price you want. I still think they are slimey little turds.xx Jack.O

Added after 2 minutes:

Hi Al, i usualy go to Spanish Style on the Sur. Jack.O

I think there are a lot of these fag shops that give residents 'discount prices' purely for the advertising benefit.

Visitors always ask where you buy this and that so you tell 'em and then are horrified that your recommendation has been abused.

TenerifeTeddy
09-06-2011, 08:39
Avoid the electrical and tobbaco shop on the seafront opposite the old abandoned villa in Los Cristianos, if you are on the port beach with your back to the ships there are several restaurants in front of you one of which is the Promenade Bar, 2 doors to the right is an electrical/camera/tobacco shop run by asians. It is ripp-off city, i went in last saturday to buy 20 ciggs for my friend, i noticed the back wall was stacked with ciggaretts of all makes with price stickers that advertised silk cut purple as 16-95 for a box of two hundred, i thought i would take advantage and purchase six boxes, i took them to the till and the seller said One Hundred and fifty euros please. I pointed him to the sign saying 16-95, he said that is in sterling, so i said i would pay One hundred and one pounds 70p in sterling, ie; 16-95 X 6=101-70. Shop man said he couldn't take sterling on a saturday, ok i said i will change the 101-70sterling into euros which at 110euros to the pound should make the price one hundred and twelve euros, he said no the euro price is 25euros for a 200 pack and you can only pay with euros changed at this shop, so i asked him what his pound to euro exchange rate was and he said SIXTY CENTS TO THE POUND. I pointed him to a board at the front of his shop saying WE CHANGE STERLING WITH NO COMMISSION AT 110 to the pound, I told him he was guilty of misrepresentation, he moved a large object and pointed to a notice the size of a postcard hiding behind it, it said, "ALL PRICES IN THIS SHOP ARE PRICED IN STERLING THE EURO PRICE WILL BE BASED ON OUR OWN EXCHANGE RATE OF 60pence to the euro". I told him he was a robbing ba....rd and walked out. Be warned tell your friends STAY AWAY FROM THE PLACE. Jack.O

I don´t think it is legal to charge in a currency other than in Euros. I would report him to OMIC. I bet he also doesn´t have a licence to exchange currency.

jmcd
09-06-2011, 09:18
Best way to beat them is to give up smoking altogether!!!! :eyebrows:

with cheese
09-06-2011, 09:27
Avoid bringing all your loose change home, put it in one of the charity boxes on a bar.

onelegnofeet
09-06-2011, 09:58
Opposite Colon 2 theres a GOD AWFUL chinese take away down about 8 steps ,avoid like the plague unless you want it of course .Its as said GOD AWFUL ,EXPENSIVE ,and so full of MSG your heart will burst out of your chest !!! Also near enough next door an "ASISAN ELECTRICAL STORE" to get past these TWONKS you have to run a guantlet of about 12 ,or if like me run over the T..ts !!!

with cheese
09-06-2011, 10:01
I will burn them down for you next time I am out OL

onelegnofeet
09-06-2011, 10:17
I will burn them down for you next time I am out OL

No need ....after the last altercation with them they now run into their shop !!! bloody cowards the lot of them

Jackie
09-06-2011, 10:42
I don´t think it is legal to charge in a currency other than in Euros. I would report him to OMIC. I bet he also doesn´t have a licence to exchange currency.

I have seen many of these kind of shops advertising their prices in Sterling.

williethetim
09-06-2011, 11:16
The asian shops at the bottom of the steps at puerto colon where aunties chip shop used to , in fact any asian electrical shop..

TenerifeTeddy
09-06-2011, 11:26
I have seen many of these kind of shops advertising their prices in Sterling.

It still doesn´t make it legal.

You can really spoil their day by reporting them to OMIC the Consumers Association. Ask for the Libro de Reclamaciones, which every business by law has to have. Fill it out and take a copy to your nearest OMIC office.

Inspectors will call, and then the shop owners will get fined for everthing they find wrong. Illegal staff, incorrect/no opening licence, incorrect signage, not displaying prices correctly etc etc.

TenerifeTeddy
09-06-2011, 11:30
The asian shops at the bottom of the steps at puerto colon where aunties chip shop used to , in fact any asian electrical shop..

IMO that is too generic. On the opposite post to this, places to recommend for example. Suresh in Nevada Electronics is reccommended and I would endorse it. He´s been there for years and deals with everyone fairly and honestly. So you can´t tar everyone with the same brush.

However I do agree that there are too many sharks out there.

timmylish
09-06-2011, 13:56
Seems, looking at this and the other post on recommendations that the one that keps getting mentioned is Spanis Style which I have used in all my fags, and previoulsy booze, purchases. Also suggested them to family when exchanging Stg for €,s. Always a decent rate and saves people running around for fractions of a cent! Pure daft!

Jackie
09-06-2011, 18:00

You can really spoil their day by reporting them to OMIC the Consumers Association. Ask for the Libro de Reclamaciones, which every business by law has to have. Fill it out and take a copy to your nearest OMIC office.

Inspectors will call, and then the shop owners will get fined for everthing they find wrong. Illegal staff, incorrect/no opening licence, incorrect signage, not displaying prices correctly etc etc.

I wasn't saying it is legal but if all these places are displaying their prices in pounds and it's easy enough for me to see then why haven't people in authority done anything about it. That's all I was asking

TenerifeTeddy
09-06-2011, 18:25
I wasn't saying it is legal but if all these places are displaying their prices in pounds and it's easy enough for me to see then why haven't people in authority done anything about it. That's all I was asking

Good question , well presented :)

DaveRF
09-06-2011, 18:35
Take care generally with the Asian electrical shops. If the price on the window on an item seems too good to be true then it probably is. A common ruse when you get inside is to try and sell you a dearer product. If you insist on buying the original item they will say it is the last one in the shop and they can't sell it and to come back next week. If you get vibes like this leave there and then and go somewhere else.

As a balance I can highly recommend the Asian electrical shop on the main street in Callao Salvaje(the name escapes me but I'm sure someone will know). The prices are great and he won't try and sell you what you don't need. I know from personal experience too that if you need to return anything he will be very helpful and won't quibble.

uptowngirl
09-06-2011, 18:51

Like the majority of shops/bars etc that offer exchange...................... just like the illegal outlets that sell excursions and laughably one now promoting flights!!!!

Sometimes I question WHY we bother forking out for the correct licenses?? But.......... at least we know in the event of a money laundering scam, insurance claim, illegal immigrants buying flights (this has actually happened to us and the police followed it up with us)

we are fully covered and so are our customers!!;)

marbro8
09-06-2011, 19:06
The asian shops at the bottom of the steps at puerto colon where aunties chip shop used to , in fact any asian electrical shop..yes last year we walked past them every day and just kept saying no than you, and the one day one of them called me a fat ******* under his breath so i turned back and gave him a mouthful and was ready to knock his block off but my wife was begging me to leave it and standing between us, so i came to my senses and just walked away:censored:

Inspectors will call, and then the shop owners will get fined for everthing they find wrong. Illegal staff, incorrect/no opening licence, incorrect signage, not displaying prices correctly etc etc.could you denounce them?

Added after 4 minutes:

we normaly go to the asian shop in the safari centre the one at the very end i think it is called krishna 11, we also use krishna 1 under the bars in san telmo

ddoyle
09-06-2011, 20:22
yes last year we walked past them every day and just kept saying no than you, and the one day one of them called me a fat ******* under his breath so i turned back and gave him a mouthful and was ready to knock his block off but my wife was begging me to leave it and standing between us, so i came to my senses and just walked away:censored:

could you denounce them?

Added after 4 minutes:

we normaly go to the asian shop in the safari centre the one at the very end i think it is called krishna 11, we also use krishna 1 under the bars in san telmo
I have had my own encounters with the guys at the bottom of the steps in Porto Colon, they are nasty nasty people, I tend to just ignore them now dont even make eye contact just stare straight ahead when walking past them.

tizzywizzy
09-06-2011, 22:19

I have been coming to Los Cristianos for a number of years and that shop has always been the same. I only ever used it once and warn people about them now.

kieraj
09-06-2011, 22:38

when we lived in los cris we were told to stay away from this shop, we always used Harry's for our cigs and alcohol and never had a problem, don't know if they are still there, just along from Churchill's on the opposite side, lovely people think they may have been indian not sure though.

ken edwards
10-06-2011, 07:22
Things seem to be going from bad to worse over there. Thats sad for me to say because I have been visiting TENERIFE for over 40 years and I love the place.
I have some Belgian friends who own an apartment in Christianos but who cut their holiday from 4 weeks to 2 weeks and left the island yesterday. They went home.
They say that the whole Island is to be avoided now because of scary looking people who hang around staring and following them. They blame down and outs from other countries who are getting so desparate they will steal and cheat or worse. Their holiday was spent mainly inside their own place - not much fun. Time to sort out the no hopers and the cheats and the robbers. Its your island - look after it.

It was ther when I was there in January buying for bringing home. Yes Indian nice people.
when we lived in los cris we were told to stay away from this shop, we always used Harry's for our cigs and alcohol and never had a problem, don't know if they are still there, just along from Churchill's on the opposite side, lovely people think they may have been indian not sure though.

mimon
10-06-2011, 08:06
OMG:whistle:, thanks Jack O. will look out.

uptowngirl
11-06-2011, 03:37
Things seem to be going from bad to worse over there. Thats sad for me to say because I have been visiting TENERIFE for over 40 years and I love the place.
I have some Belgian friends who own an apartment in Christianos but who cut their holiday from 4 weeks to 2 weeks and left the island yesterday. They went home.
They say that the whole Island is to be avoided now because of scary looking people who hang around staring and following them. They blame down and outs from other countries who are getting so desparate they will steal and cheat or worse. Their holiday was spent mainly inside their own place - not much fun. Time to sort out the no hopers and the cheats and the robbers. Its your island - look after it.

It was ther when I was there in January buying for bringing home. Yes Indian nice people.

Thats a ridiculous statement. I would have no qualms, as a woman, walking on my own in Los Cristianos any time of day................ maybe i wouldn't walk down the beachfront in Americas in the middle of the night but to call the place dangerous is OTT.................. and I have lived here for the past 13 years..................... that is just scaremongering to say that!!!

DJ Dangerous
11-06-2011, 04:33

Do you have the locations of the OMIC offices nearest PDLA and LC for tourists?

The only ones that I'm aware of even close to these areas are:

The one behind the post office in Adeje town - bus 416 or 473 to "El Cerco" for anybody interested...
Dirección............: C/ Grande, 1
Teléfono.............: 922 75 62 13
Fax.....................: 922 78 06 06
E-mail..................: macuqc@adeje.es

The one in the cultural centre in Los Cristianos - downhill and first right when coming from the bus stop...
Dirección............: Gral. Franco s/n - Centro Cultural Los Cristianos
Teléfono.............: 922 75 71 37
Fax.....................: 922 75 24 92
E-mail..................: info-cristianos@arona.org

Info copied from this (http://www.gobiernodecanarias.org/cicnt/temas/consumo/informa/tenerife.html) site.

ken edwards
11-06-2011, 09:56
Well you may think so but the facts are two Belgian people curtailed their holiday by two weeks because they felt thretened in Christianos and one Brit also left to go home after being attacked and robbed of his watch and a few Euro
Thats a ridiculous statement. I would have no qualms, as a woman, walking on my own in Los Cristianos any time of day................ maybe i wouldn't walk down the beachfront in Americas in the middle of the night but to call the place dangerous is OTT.................. and I have lived here for the past 13 years..................... that is just scaremongering to say that!!!

Jackie
11-06-2011, 09:57

Bit of a heavy first post...
I am sorry but this is the biggest load of poo I have heard in a long time. Like Uptowngirl I would have no problems at all as a woman walking about in Los Cristianos anytime of the day or night, and if I did I certainly would not let my daughter work there in the evenings. I visit Los Cristianos on a very regular basis and yes, while there are a couple of homeless people they can hardly be accused of staring at and following people, well NEVER in my experience anyway. Are there not homeless people the world over??? Your friends have very over active imaginations and were obviously looking for things that are quite simply not there. If they want to be truly scared about walking the streets both day and night then tell them to visit certain areas of the UK. It is far fetched comments like this which is not even from the horses mouth but second hand that cause damage to the Island, Chinese whispers come to mind.

ken edwards
11-06-2011, 10:09
Well you may think that but the hard facts are that two Belgians left their holiday two weeks early because they felt threatened in Christianos and also one Brit left two weeks early because he has been attacked assaulted and robbed.
How much over the top is that please?

onelegnofeet
11-06-2011, 10:42
As a disabled visitor to Tenerife i can hand on heart say i have never felt threatend in either LC or PDLA ,even coming back from VIVOS in the early hours .Yes i have been stopped by the"ladies of the night " or should i say slowed down with their generous offers (wifey makes sure i dont get that much pocket money ) even seen their spotters in the trees .I usually get a few drunks asking if they can hop on my wally scooter for a lift ............but i have never felt threatend .Maybe others would but i cant speak for them .
I met a nice family whoose son in his 20s has MD ,and walks in ( and i dont mean this nastilly )a very unusual way .He does and they allow him to lead his own life .In Vivos there was a really busy night with lots of youngsters in rowdy and a few drinks to many .But even when there son went to the toilet etc on his own no one bothered him ,in fact many took to talking to him even though his speech is not at its best .No P..s takes No pointing ,No rude remarks ...............I DONT THINK THE SAME COULD BE SAID ANYWHERE IN THE UK !!!
Do i feel safer in Tenerife than the Uk ................a resounding YES.
Do i like the awful attitude and underhandedness of the Asian shops ,in many circumstances .....NO

tracey
11-06-2011, 10:56
´Dont go out much at night but I am in Cristianos all day, every day and I have never felt threatened.

Jackie
11-06-2011, 11:18
I am off to Los Cristianos in a minute and will be there all day and most of the evening before walking the scary streets to the Bus Station. I will then be a sitting target for these people that look at you funny and follow you so I am going to be looking out for them today and will report back my true findings later. It will probably be them reporting me for looking at them funny while doing my 'detective' work:lol::lol:

hedgehog
11-06-2011, 11:27
I think you can feel threatened anywhere at anytime but generally there is no reason to feel this way, it is usually your mind putting 2 and 2 together and coming up with 5. I have lived in Tenerife for 13 years now and can honestly say I have never been in a position where I feel threatened for my safety. Yes there are isolated incidents; robberies, attacks, rapes, even murders, and thankfully I have never been witness to any of theses...are there any more in Tenerife than in the rest of the world, I don't think so. Does the fact that a crazy man beheaded an innocent bystander in Los Cristianos make it suddenly a no go zone, again I don't think so.

onelegnofeet
11-06-2011, 11:34
As a disabled visitor to Tenerife i can hand on heart say i have never felt threatend in either LC or PDLA ,even coming back from VIVOS in the early hours .Yes i have been stopped by the"ladies of the night " or should i say slowed down with their generous offers (wifey makes sure i dont get that much pocket money ) even seen their spotters in the trees .I usually get a few drunks asking if they can hop on my wally scooter for a lift ............but i have never felt threatend .Maybe others would but i cant speak for them .
I met a nice family whoose son in his 20s has MD ,and walks in ( and i dont mean this nastilly )a very unusual way .He does and they allow him to lead his own life .In Vivos there was a really busy night with lots of youngsters in rowdy and a few drinks to many .But even when there son went to the toilet etc on his own no one bothered him ,in fact many took to talking to him even though his speech is not at its best .No P..s takes No pointing ,No rude remarks ...............I DONT THINK THE SAME COULD BE SAID ANYWHERE IN THE UK !!!
Do i feel safer in Tenerife than the Uk ................a resounding YES.
Do i like the awful attitude and underhandedness of the Asian shops ,in many circumstances .....NO

CRIPES ... !!!! the last YES should be NO !!! so ive changed it

marbro8
11-06-2011, 12:04
even when i was having my pockets picked i was laughing with him!!!, where else in the world could you be robbed and walk away feeling happy at meeting such a fun guy? untill i came to pay my bill later, then he was the biggest thievin ba***rd in the world:eyebrows::eyebrows:

Jackie
11-06-2011, 22:51
I have not long got home after being in Los Cristianos all day until about 10.00p.m. this evening. People now think I am the local 'nut nut' because I did as I said I would and watched people more closely as I was walking about, something I have never really done unless sitting in a bar doing a bit of 'people watching' :). I did get a few strange looks, but I think that is because people thought I was being weird looking at them. But I tell you what, I have never had so many people smile and say 'Hola' to me than I have today. The most 'scary', if I can call it that, part of the day was actually on my bus home and two British guys got on who I know live in San Miguel. They where totally rat arsed and where being quite nasty and aggressive to a crowd of young Canarians, who lets face it are never quiet at the best of times and where on the bus on their way to Granadilla for a fiesta.

with cheese
11-06-2011, 23:26
even when i was having my pockets picked i was laughing with him!!!, where else in the world could you be robbed and walk away feeling happy at meeting such a fun guy? untill i came to pay my bill later, then he was the biggest thievin ba***rd in the world:eyebrows::eyebrows:
You should be used to pickpockets mate.

used2bTurner
11-06-2011, 23:33
The only time i feel threatened is if i walk in dark unlit places at night, nothing has ever happened to me its all in the mind. i must admit i feel a lot safer her than i did in england. Wherever you are in the world you have to use your common sense

DaveRF
11-06-2011, 23:37
The only time i feel threatened is if i walk in dark unlit places at night, nothing has ever happened to me its all in the mind. i must admit i feel a lot safer her than i did in england. Wherever you are in the world you have to use your common sense

How true. Years ago when I got transferred at work to Glasgow I was dreading it. I'd never been but had plenty of preconceived ideas what it would be like. How wrong I was and I loved the years I spent there. Not once did I feel unsafe. I was always careful about where I went though and always had my wits about me.

used2bTurner
11-06-2011, 23:45
How true. Years ago when I got transferred at work to Glasgow I was dreading it. I'd never been but had plenty of preconceived ideas what it would be like. How wrong I was and I loved the years I spent there. Not once did I feel unsafe. I was always careful about where I went though and always had my wits about me.

the trouble is that all the news reports is the bad stuff. shame people never praise when they like somewhere but love to moan if they don't like something

hedgehog
12-06-2011, 09:03
the trouble is that all the news reports is the bad stuff. shame people never praise when they like somewhere but love to moan if they don't like something

You've hit the proverbial nail on the head there used2beturner, people often say how dangerous the world has become but I personally think we are just more aware of the "bad stuff" that has always been there. Modern technology is fantastic and the media can now keep us up to date on everything as it happens. Unfortunately great news such as "woman walks home safely after night out in Playa de Las Americas" is not a headline that's going to sell a lot of papers!

marbro8
12-06-2011, 10:14
You should be used to pickpockets mate.yes i was one ha ha:eyebrows:

Added after 3 minutes:

I have not long got home after being in Los Cristianos all day until about 10.00p.m. this evening. People now think I am the local 'nut nut' because I did as I said I would and watched people more closely as I was walking about, something I have never really done unless sitting in a bar doing a bit of 'people watching' :). I did get a few strange looks, but I think that is because people thought I was being weird looking at them. But I tell you what, I have never had so many people smile and say 'Hola' to me than I have today. The most 'scary', if I can call it that, part of the day was actually on my bus home and two British guys got on who I know live in San Miguel. They where totally rat arsed and where being quite nasty and aggressive to a crowd of young Canarians, who lets face it are never quiet at the best of times and where on the bus on their way to Granadilla for a fiesta.you do realise there is probably a special charter flight on it's way home full of threatened belgians now after your los cris staring stunt:eyebrows:

Chivas Regal
12-06-2011, 14:41
The only time I ever felt threatened was the other day when I was in Los Cristianos and this woman kept staring at me, she really got me scared. In the end I had to smile and say Hola just to get her to stop it! Two of my mates got really wound up by her and they had to have a brandy or 10 to settle their nerves for the bus ride home. Unfortunately when they got on the bus the lady was on there too so they hatched a plan to be angry at some locals so the lady knew not to mess with them!!!

with cheese
12-06-2011, 19:44
Does anyone know of really good room service in PDLA so I can come over and lock myself away for 2 weeks scared to go out. Please can you give me the name of one where the staff are all police checked or I will not answer the door.
You are generally only a target anywhere if you make yourself one. Obviously there are exceptions but PDLA or Los Cris, not on your life.

Jackie
12-06-2011, 19:49
Does anyone know of really good room service in PDLA so I can come over and lock myself away for 2 weeks scared to go out. Please can you give me the name of one where the staff are all police checked or I will not answer the door.
You are generally only a target anywhere if you make yourself one. Obviously there are exceptions but PDLA or Los Cris, not on your life.

You are more than welcome to stay at 'Casa de Jackie'. You will have your own double bedroom with en suite, all meals included but as you won't be going out for 2 weeks I expect you to do all the housework, washing and Iron as payment ;)

with cheese
12-06-2011, 19:53
You are more than welcome to stay at 'Casa de Jackie'. You will have your own double bedroom with en suite, all meals included but as you won't be going out for 2 weeks I expect you to do all the housework, washing and Iron as payment ;)
Safer to go out
lol

Jackie
12-06-2011, 20:00
Safer to go out
lol

Well if you must venture out make sure you keep your wits about you, apparently there are people who look at you strangely and follow you, and it's not just the wife:lol::lol:

with cheese
12-06-2011, 20:04
She don't follow, always 10 yards ahead keeping a lookout. She just looks strange anyway.

Peterrayner
12-06-2011, 20:24
IMO that is too generic. On the opposite post to this, places to recommend for example. Suresh in Nevada Electronics is reccommended and I would endorse it. He´s been there for years and deals with everyone fairly and honestly. So you can´t tar everyone with the same brush.

However I do agree that there are too many sharks out there.

Also for cigs and booze the little tiny shop on the street behind the Slow Boat and the childrens playground on the beach front in Los Cristianos just before the Admiral exchange shop.

It is called Diana all prices are genuine and as advertised.

some of the shops near the beach front advertise cheap bloody hell prices outside but then when you go in they add 20% tax ????? what bloody tax its the Canaries for Gods sake.

sam & dan
16-06-2011, 10:43
Aberdeen steak houses yuk!!

Bradybunch
16-06-2011, 11:25
Made the mistake of eating in one of them over christmas it was vile vile vile. Never again would rather eat my own foot. :hungry::hungry::hungry:

onelegnofeet
16-06-2011, 11:33
Made the mistake of eating in one of them over christmas it was vile vile vile. Never again would rather eat my own foot. :hungry::hungry::hungry:

They werent yours .................................................. !!!!

Bradybunch
16-06-2011, 12:30
They werent yours .................................................. !!!!

Thats why they tasted so cheesy then..............!!!!

Topacciolo
20-06-2011, 21:14

Thanks For mention it!!!!!!
Any of those people that say about LC or PDLA not been safe never walk alone at night in London!!!
Came on, bad people are everywhere but good one too and I think around here good one are way more then bad one!!!
I love to have a walk at night or late evening around PDLA!!!! And honestly the most annoying people are youngsters coming out of clubs drunk!!! But again compared to London.... This is paradise!!!!

Topacciolo

Seren
30-06-2011, 20:01
If you are in the Safari Centre in PDLA and wanting something to eat, then I personally would avoid the Gran Reserva Steak House, we may have caught the waitress on a bad day but even a hint of a smile would of made us feel welcome but no nothing, the starters were cold and not nice, the main course in fairness was tasty but a tiny portion and we didnt stay on for a dessert as we really felt uncomfy there also its never a good sign when you leave a restaurant feeling hungry!! It was not value for money compared to say the Bombay Blue Indian Tandoori or the Hacienda Miranda Grill & Tex Mex Restaurant.

I would have to recommend the Hacienda Miranda Grill (we went there twice in a week) great waiters, fantastic tasty food and plenty of it! left there full and happy the nachos are awesome and my husband had a prawn cocktail starter which was the best ever! see pics and have added a view from where we sat...

hmmmm getting hungry now!

TenerifePool
30-06-2011, 21:29
some of the shops near the beach front advertise cheap bloody hell prices outside but then when you go in they add 20% tax ????? what bloody tax its the Canaries for Gods sake.

IGIC on tabaco products is either 20% or 35% depending on the type.

willowlily
30-06-2011, 21:37

you make it sound like tenerife is becoming as bad as the uk but i spend 6 months every winter in tenerife and it is nothing like

slodgedad
30-06-2011, 21:59
IGIC on tabaco products is either 20% or 35% depending on the type.

Sounds like a con. We all know there is IGIC on products, but never usually added in a shop.

IS THIS THE FUTURE? I hope not.

Another round of complaints..

princessmonika
01-07-2011, 07:12
i am german not nice your comment

Tenerife Villas
16-11-2011, 20:49
k&h electronics I would keep away from these sharks. I took a faulty box back to them as advised by our community who have a contract with them on going to their shop with the faulty receiver I was told an engineer would call to my apartment the following day with a replacement, no engineer and I lost a days pay on calling k&h electronics I was told that they had called but I never went out so that was a lie and that they wanted €159 for a new box that my community is all ready covered for with a contract k&h electronics then informed me that they had thrown away my box that they had asked me to leave with them. steer clear of k&h electronics

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

power_scouse
17-11-2011, 22:41
stay away from the greek corner. there PR told me id get a mezie that would fill the table with food so i didnt eat all day. when i came out of there i had to go to mcdonalds to fill me up. the food wasnt even that nice either.

dave41
18-11-2011, 01:34
Yes been there for 3000 said come back tomorrow price went up by 130 euro rip off

Balcony
18-11-2011, 16:41
I would avoid the Harish (Indian) restaurant at El Mirador, Los C. Poor service. Poor, bland food. Next door is another Chinese (soory, don't know name) to also avoid.

Added after 7 minutes:

German ones, no try any you fancy. If around Veronicas area late at night you may want to avoid one or two, or all, this depends on taste.

The comment about 'German ones' is like saying that Holland can't make beer at all and that every restaurant in Amsterdam serves bad food and you can't trust a Dutchman! You should know it is total rubbish to generalise in such a way.

Suej
18-11-2011, 16:54
anywhere that advertises TV programmes on their entertainment boards.......

Anybody who advertises Entertainment on their entertainment boards! LOL!!!:laugh:

stevem
18-11-2011, 17:43
Definately avoid Parque de la Reina when ever I've been in Leones for more than an hour!!! :)

boxergirlie
19-11-2011, 22:28

Well Belgians are strange people !!!! We live in very rural SW France - you know the sort of place, isolated old farmhouses, nobody locks their doors, you can wander around unlit streets with no worries at all anytime of night ...

So naturally after having been used to this sort of thing for the past 8 years here, I'm always on my guard when I go back to the UK to visit. We've just come back from Tenerife (stayed in Chayofa and went out and about most days / nights around Los Cris/ Playa Las Americas etc) and agree that we both felt very easy about walking around late at night in the resorts .. and believe me, I'd have known if people were staring at us !!

Of course there's always going to be a small element of crime - especially so in a tourist area - well even here there was a handbag stolen out of an unlocked car last May in our nearest town ... so nowhere is crime free ! But certainly not worth mentioning it on a forum like this, it is, as has been said, scaremongering and totally out of relation compared to the thousands of holiday makers who (like us) had a fab time and didn't feel we had to lock ourselves indoors and go home early.

By the way, I lived in Belgium for five years - so can safely say that there are some strange people there too and there is even a little crime !