PDA

View Full Version : Tenerife Forum Trolls!

CIM
29-05-2011, 13:53
I´d think it is just a matter of time before some of the old trolling idiots rear their ugly heads on here!
Has anyone spotted one yet? Do let us know!!!

Has there been any thought on a way of dealing with them on this forum? As they are a real nuisance after the novelty has worn off and are better off banned.

It would be good if there was some sort of plugin where people could add a troll "vote" to nuisance members.
Once someone has enough votes their account could be automatically frozen until for review. Kind of gives the forum members the ability to banish these people.

DaveRF
29-05-2011, 13:54
The report button works pretty well ;)

CIM
29-05-2011, 13:56
Yes I thought something similar to the report button but more like the thumbs up, thumbs down thing that we had before. Don't know if other forums have this or not but it would be nice to be able to vote someone as a troll and see them eventually locked out.

Susief
29-05-2011, 14:03
I´d think it is just a matter of time before some of the old trolling idiots rear their ugly heads on here!
Has anyone spotted one yet? Do let us know!!!

Has there been any thought on a way of dealing with them on this forum? As they are a real nuisance after the novelty has worn off and are better off banned.

It would be good if there was some sort of plugin where people could add a troll "vote" to nuisance members.
Once someone has enough votes their account could be automatically frozen until for review. Kind of gives the forum members the ability to banish these people.

You get them everywhere CIM, best to ignore or report them!

slodgedad
29-05-2011, 14:05
1 or 2 trollers and spammers have already been identified and dealt with. Didn't take 'em long, did it.

CIM
29-05-2011, 14:06
Well it seems they´ve got sod all else to do Slodgie - pathetic little *******s! I hate ´em!!!

Zara
29-05-2011, 14:08
Yes I thought something similar to the report button but more like the thumbs up, thumbs down thing that we had before. Don't know if other forums have this or not but it would be nice to be able to vote someone as a troll and see them eventually locked out.

Personally I don´t agree with this, you could get little cliques that don´t like someone and spend their time giving them the thumbs down. In my opinion, trolls soon show themselves and the report button is always available.

Is there no way of stopping them (at least some of them) from join in the first place - for those that are from this point forwards banned check IP addresses and if it appears a second time do not allow registration. Also can there not be a wait after joining before the account is activated say 24 hours - by which time the troll could be fed up and go away of their own volition.

slodgedad
29-05-2011, 14:13
Is there no way of stopping them (at least some of them) from join in the first place - for those that are from this point forwards banned check IP addresses and if it appears a second time do not allow registration. .

It's difficult to identify IP addresses these days as most have dynamic IPs, which means that every time someone logs on there IP is different.

Ve haff uzzer vays, zo....

CIM
Forums already do the IP address thing. You can easily set up a rule disallowing multiple registrations from one IP within a specific time frame but its easy to bypass this by using proxies.
I think they should be binned as soon as they are spotted. I am on another forum where, once identified the moderator will publish all of their details - name, email address used for sign up etc - a bit OTT but an effective way of dealing with them. They also change their posts to self - insults which is rather amusing :)
So long as we are vigilant perhaps the best thing we can do is simply report them as a TROLL and hope someone comes along to check them out.

DaveRF
Also can there not be a wait after joining before the account is activated say 24 hours - by which time the troll could be fed up and go away of their own volition.

I can see what you are saying and agree with why you are saying it but I think a lot of people can come across a forum looking for specific information or answers. If they had to wait 24 hours before posting I think they would likely not bother.

caroll72
29-05-2011, 14:40
What's a Troll? :(

Sorry for being so blonde, but the only troll i remember was a wee doll with long hair that i used to play with!! ??? :crazy: :lol:

DaveRF
29-05-2011, 14:42
What's a Troll? :(

Sorry for being so blonde, but the only troll i remember was a wee doll with long hair that i used to play with!! ??? :crazy: :lol:

Here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troll_(Internet)) ya go Carroll

CIM
29-05-2011, 14:43
Theres already a little troll running around on another thread... they really are dullards...

KirstyJay
29-05-2011, 15:14
There is an antispam ans trolling plugin installed now which is linked to Akismet and Stopforumspam.com. Hopefully it will help significantly. You can't stop 'em all, but it helps! :) And, if we get any and report them, then it is submitted to prevent them spamming other forums too (and vice versa) ;)

Harmonicaman
29-05-2011, 15:21
There is an antispam ans trolling plugin installed now which is linked to Akismet and Stopforumspam.com. Hopefully it will help significantly. You can't stop 'em all, but it helps! :) And, if we get any and report them, then it is submitted to prevent them spamming other forums too (and vice versa) ;)
Seems to be working...
http://i773.photobucket.com/albums/yy13/harmonicaman_photos/spam.png

Mike Hunt
29-05-2011, 15:42
Well it seems they´ve got sod all else to do Slodgie - pathetic little *******s! I hate ´em!!!

Language timothy,,,,,,
I am sure there are normal people visiting this website that would prefer not to hear or read your abusive cursing.
I have a question, do you use this type of language in your "professional advisor"capacity?
A simple yes or no will do thank you.

CIM
29-05-2011, 15:58
Idiots like you are best ignored. You are a troll in every respect.
And a coward, just like you were on the other forum.

onelegnofeet
29-05-2011, 15:59
Here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troll_(Internet)) ya go Carroll

Well that includes those going off topic ............................should i say BYE now ??

The problem for me is not what these people put on the open forum but the PMs ,ok yes you can click to not recieve them but some members like to ask me various questions that they wouldnt do on open forum ,(Yes course i love ya Slodgie!!!lol) along with chit chat again that would take things OT

CIM
29-05-2011, 16:00
I´ve already had an abusive pm off "Mike" which was reported.

9PLUS
29-05-2011, 16:07
I'm here and I'm staying

x

onelegnofeet
29-05-2011, 16:11
i'm here and i'm staying

x

pfft.............................................. .................................................. ...................

Tom
29-05-2011, 16:12
I'm here and I'm staying

x

Why should you have all the fun !!

Pooh
29-05-2011, 16:13
I'm here and I'm staying

pfft

:):crazy:

richie
29-05-2011, 16:23
Why should you have all the fun !!

quite an album,some very nice photos.

Tom
29-05-2011, 16:28
quite an album,some very nice photos.

Thank you even if a tag off topic.

Mike Hunt
29-05-2011, 17:16
Idiots like you are best ignored. You are a troll in every respect.
And a coward, just like you were on the other forum.

So, as you quote " Idiots like you are best ignored."
So, I and anybody else who is offended by the gratuitous and abusive language that you use so regularly and include in your "postings" are to be classed by you as "Idiots" ?
Do you realise that your language is truly offensive to most people?
I suggest to you that us "Idiots" are in the majority and I offer you this advice.
If you want to class yourself as a "professional mortgage/financial advisor "Then you need to offer your "clients" the use of a "Professional Language and Respect Ethic"
I hope that you can accept this criticism and free advice in a positive manner.

CIM
29-05-2011, 17:22
You are a troll. You are looking for trouble - nothing more. Do you realise what a hypocrite you are picking that username and then dribbling on about offensive language?
The forum has a language filter so people can pretty much write what they like. But you know this and you know you are talking ********. You simply want a reaction from people and attention. Just like you did when you called yourself Taxmans revenge... "Pathetic" is the word that best fits (without triggering the forum language censor.) At least you´ve picked the right thread to troll on I suppose...
I hope you are banned and disappear in a positive manner.

Mike Hunt
29-05-2011, 17:29
You are a troll. You are looking for trouble - nothing more. Do you realise what a hypocrite you are picking that username and then dribbling on about offensive language?
The forum has a language filter so people can pretty much write what they like. But you know this and you know you are talking ********. You simply want a reaction from people and attention. Just like you did when you called yourself Taxmans revenge... "Pathetic" is the word that best fits (without triggering the forum language censor.) At least you´ve picked the right thread to troll on I suppose...

Your "quote"
"But you know this and you know you are talking ********."
I rest my case, a true professional you truly are, thank you for the confirmation and goodnight.
I would prefer no further contact with you.

CIM
29-05-2011, 17:31
I doubt you´ll be around for long anyways. You never last long.
Just add me to your ignore list if you want no further contact - there's a good little TROLL.
You´re going on mine...

DaveRF
29-05-2011, 18:16
I see all the goodwill rararah feelings of the new forum lasted a long time :crylaughing:

leo_london
29-05-2011, 18:27

As Zara said, I think that might be open to abuse. I used to frequent another forum that started automatic deletion of threads by vote. Thinks started ok, but it soon became clear that groups were just deleting threads because they disagreed with the content..not because it was offensive. The report option seems to be the best solution, I trust the mods..so far anyway. ;)

CIM
29-05-2011, 18:29
I thought it might be useful to simply freeze an account pending review rather than having a troll run amok for hours until a mod comes and blasts them. But yes, probably end up all freezing each other!

9PLUS
29-05-2011, 18:33
You should give Mike Hunt the Articulate Genius Medal he deserves

DJ Dangerous
29-05-2011, 18:40
So, as you quote " Idiots like you are best ignored."
So, I and anybody else who is offended by the gratuitous and abusive language that you use so regularly and include in your "postings" are to be classed by you as "Idiots" ?
Do you realise that your language is truly offensive to most people?
I suggest to you that us "Idiots" are in the majority and I offer you this advice.
If you want to class yourself as a "professional mortgage/financial advisor "Then you need to offer your "clients" the use of a "Professional Language and Respect Ethic"
I hope that you can accept this criticism and free advice in a positive manner.

Source, please?

leo_london
29-05-2011, 18:46
Well, perhaps I shouldn't say this, but Mr Hunt did liven things up a bit today. As they say, it's an ill wind...

DJ Dangerous
29-05-2011, 18:46
Well, perhaps I shouldn't say this, but Mr Hunt did liven things up a bit today. As they say, it's an ill wind...

...that follows the beans...

onelegnofeet
29-05-2011, 18:56
Source, please?

Ketch up or HP ?

slodgedad
29-05-2011, 19:01
As Zara said, I think that might be open to abuse. I used to frequent another forum that started automatic deletion of threads by vote. Thinks started ok, but it soon became clear that groups were just deleting threads because they disagreed with the content..not because it was offensive. The report option seems to be the best solution, I trust the mods..so far anyway. ;)

We have never done that here as it opens the Forum to cliques.

Moderation here is done strictly by the rules. You wouldn't believe the amount of threads we are asked to close by report either by OPs or members, but as long as the subject and replies are valid they are left in.

CIM
29-05-2011, 21:50
Well it would seem the Forum Troll policy is in full effect! The first troll has had is **** kicked off here already - good riddance!
I´m sure it will be back though - along with other idiots - well done mods!

richie
29-05-2011, 21:54
Well it would seem the Forum Troll policy is in full effect! The first troll has had is **** kicked off here already - good riddance!
I´m sure it will be back though - along with other idiots - well done mods!

must be a record. lol

with cheese
29-05-2011, 22:04
Woa, steady, I think the slating was started by you here Fella.
I would consider you have perhaps made yourself a troll here. No Offence meant, just should not go down same slope.

YOUNG GOLFER
29-05-2011, 22:09
I would consider you have perhaps made yourself a troll here. No Offence meant, just should not go down same slope.

Our CIM is the Troll Slayer................

Harmonicaman
29-05-2011, 22:11
Our CIM is the Troll Slayer................
Here's a T-shirt for him then...
http://i773.photobucket.com/albums/yy13/harmonicaman_photos/images.jpg

CIM
29-05-2011, 22:48

I am a troll for outing a troll as a troll?? (A now banned troll...)
Lot of trolls around here then!

with cheese
29-05-2011, 23:32
Hey Man, just making a point. Yes you did get rid of Herslave, but in the first instance it wasn't trolling.
Just saying be careful and don't get raped.
Not worth it fella.

doreen
29-05-2011, 23:34
Hey Man, just making a point. Yes you did get rid of Herslave, but in the first instance it wasn't trolling.
Just saying be careful and don't get raped.
Not worth it fella.

... and we know it was herslave because ... ?

with cheese
29-05-2011, 23:36
... and we know it was herslave because ... ?
Just an educated guess Doreen as Herslave was constantly digging at Cjm about his business acumen.
If for any reason someone thinks I have anything to do with HERSLAVE you would be very wrong. I could not stand he/her which is one reason why I have a different name.

CIM
29-05-2011, 23:46
Crossed my mind but dont like to say without more proof. Not nice for that person if it wasn't them. It sounded a lot like the person who had the Taxmans Revenge username and it was obvious immediately that they were here simply to cause grief.

Maybe they´re better off completely ignored and replying to them is probably the wrong thing to do. But a couple of replies does tend to draw out their trollish-ness.

People are generally clutching at straws once they start trying to criticise your business. They seem to think I care and and am on here as a "business person" - divs. Also shows they have nothing else to criticise you for so always a good sign. See it a lot on here when people have a link to a website.

doreen
29-05-2011, 23:48
Just an educated guess Doreen as Herslave was constantly digging at Cjm about his business acumen.
If for any reason someone thinks I have anything to do with HERSLAVE you would be very wrong. I could not stand he/her which is one reason why I have a different name.

Remind me ... who are you again :)

with cheese
29-05-2011, 23:55
Maybe soon by pm, I am harmless.

with cheese
29-05-2011, 23:56
Crossed my mind but dont like to say without more proof. Not nice for that person if it wasn't them. It sounded a lot like the person who had the Taxmans Revenge username and it was obvious immediately that they were here simply to cause grief.

Maybe they´re better off completely ignored and replying to them is probably the wrong thing to do. But a couple of replies does tend to draw out their trollish-ness.

People are generally clutching at straws once they start trying to criticise your business. They seem to think I care and and am on here as a "business person" - divs. Also shows they have nothing else to criticise you for so always a good sign. See it a lot on here when people have a link to a website.

Taxmans Revenge, herslave, same attitude, same hates.

Zara
29-05-2011, 23:58

I could tell you, but then I'd have to kill you.http://www.mysticcharms.co.uk/forum/images/smilies/3d/ROFL30h.gif

with cheese
30-05-2011, 00:01
I could tell you, but then I'd have to kill you.http://www.mysticcharms.co.uk/forum/images/smilies/3d/ROFL30h.gif
You may know or are you guessing?
Doreen is not Zarion and you are not Becky McDonald.

CIM
06-06-2011, 22:38
Well its been a while since our resident troll was banished... When do you think he will return? Or will another take up his disruptive mantle?

slodgedad
06-06-2011, 22:58
With the addition of the new anti spam additions and the new permissions granted to the mod team, you will see fewer problems.

We still rely on members to report posts though as we are not actively moderated, which I totally agree with.

Active moderation would require a mod to be on duty at all times, and as everyone who works in the team does it voluntarily, it's not feasible to have a mod on duty 24/7 to approve posts.

If members had to wait for their post to be approved then how soon would they lose interest?

I remember waiting a couple of minutes to have my post published on Yahoo Answers once and soon got fed up.

with cheese
06-06-2011, 23:01
Not sure but think one may be around tonight.

CIM
06-06-2011, 23:03
Where, where?? Lets get ´im!

slodgedad
06-06-2011, 23:03

Gizza clue...You perhaps?:idea::idea::crazy:

onelegnofeet
06-06-2011, 23:04

No ,i'm going to bed now ,Nighty night !!!

with cheese
06-06-2011, 23:04
Where, where?? Lets get ´im!
Just watching ready for the kill CIM, will let you know if it is.

Gizza clue...You perhaps?:idea::idea::crazy:

Maybe a mod stirring things up, not me for sure.

CIM
06-06-2011, 23:06
I got my troll slayer T-Shirt on - nothing else though :hello:

MaxineC
07-06-2011, 00:08

And I'm just off my trolley... :crazy:

slodgedad
07-06-2011, 00:22
I got my troll slayer T-Shirt on - nothing else though :hello:

Too much information, Andy....:censored:

9PLUS
07-06-2011, 07:52
And I'm just off my trolley... :crazy:

I Concur.........

onelegnofeet
07-06-2011, 13:29