PDA

View Full Version : Football Unacceptable behaviour

imablue
20-12-2011, 23:39
Personally this little **** should be taken out of Football as we know it.......
Luis Suarez has been given an eight-game ban after the Football Association found he racially abused Manchester United's Patrice Evra during a match.

AL JAY
21-12-2011, 00:23
The most Bizarre part of this story is, Suarez at first said he never uttered racist obscenities at his Black opponent,He then changed his plea and admitted to the F.A Panel that he called Patrice Evra (Negrito) ten times but he said its okay and is accepted in his country (Uruguay) ...What is wholly unnaceptable is that LFC have said from day one they will stand by him no matter what,So they as a club are condoning blatant racism!!! Its a catch 22 situation for LFC now ,if they appeal it will show that they condone it, but they have said in a statement tonight they are 100% against racism...YOU CAN'T HAVE IT BOTH WAYS. I hope they appeal and the ban is doubled to 16 matches. Any LFC fan who disagree's is also condoning racism!!! Well done F.A Panel .

Oh and John Terry you are next!!!

LindaD
21-12-2011, 00:38
Hello Al
Now before I write anything I have to say I know "he-haw" about football. I've just watched the news and it didn't report that the guy "Suarez" admitted to anything - it only said about him getting the ban which of course got my "dander" up because it was as if the FA took Evra's word for what had been said to him, hence the 8 match ban. Of course if LFC don't appeal then what was the point of backing their player in the first place - if he's done wrong they should also punish him! What sort of message are the putting out to their fans/players/followers then too - especially the young - are the saying, yeah it's ok then???!!!!!

AL JAY
21-12-2011, 00:52
Its well documented what he said Linda,The FA Panel used lip readers to study the whole episode and i think thats why he all of a sudden changed his story...his mitigating cicumstances is that the term (Negrito) is a term of endearment in his own country and is used between friends!!!Patrice Evra plays for Man Utd and they are arch enemies... As you say Dalglish and the club should accept the ban and then come down on him like a ton of bricks but we all know that it won't happen sadly.

P.S If an Everton player was found guilty of the same charge i would want his contract terminated!

LindaD
21-12-2011, 00:56
As you say Al the technology is too good nowadays - it's a wonder the players take all these chances as they will get caught out. Term of endearment my a... - did you see the look they gave each other - ha! Did I hear a fine of £40,000 being mentioned - a drop in the ocean to these guys!!!!
Al Jay for the manager's job I say!!!!!!!

timmylish
21-12-2011, 01:00
I shall offer an analogy which may, or may not go somewhere in defending LFC,s position. Let me compare it to the Prime Minister having an affair with a well known lady and this is all revealed in Jimandsi,s morning newspaper! However Mrs. P.M. states that, no matter what, she will stand by her man. Now by doing such she is NOT saying that she condones what her husband has done but merely that she is standing by him. Clear? It is to me!

LindaD
21-12-2011, 01:03
I shall offer an analogy which may, or may not go somewhere in defending LFC,s position. Let me compare it to the Prime Minister having an affair with a well known lady and this is all revealed in Jimandsi,s morning newspaper! However Mrs. P.M. states that, no matter what, she will stand by her man. Now by doing such she is NOT saying that she condones what her husband has done but merely that she is standing by him. Clear? It is to me!

David Cameron?? - an affair?? - give me a break!!!!!:spin:

timmylish
21-12-2011, 01:14
David Cameron?? - an affair?? - give me a break!!!!!:spin:

Why not, AGAIN?

LindaD
21-12-2011, 01:19
Why not, AGAIN?

He just gives me the willies thats all - just can't imagine - was looking for the "throwing up" smiley but can't find it !!!!!!!

timmylish
21-12-2011, 01:20
I think it only fair to include LFC,s actual statement this evening so that people have a balanced case before them!

Liverpool Football Club is very surprised and disappointed with the decision of the Football Association Commission to find Luis Suarez guilty of the charges against him.

We look forward to the publication of the Commission's Judgment. We will study the detailed reasons of the Commission once they become available, but reserve our right to appeal or take any other course of action we feel appropriate with regards to this situation.

We find it extraordinary that Luis can be found guilty on the word of Patrice Evra alone when no-one else on the field of play - including Evra's own Manchester United teammates and all the match officials - heard the alleged conversation between the two players in a crowded Kop goalmouth while a corner kick was about to be taken.

The Club takes extremely seriously the fight against all forms of discrimination and has a long and successful track record in work relating to anti-racist activity and social inclusion. We remain committed to this ideal and equality for all, irrespective of a person's background.

LFC considers racism in any form to be unacceptable - without compromise. It is our strong held belief, having gone over the facts of the case, that Luis Suarez did not commit any racist act. It is also our opinion that the accusation by this particular player was not credible - certainly no more credible than his prior unfounded accusations.

It is key to note that Patrice Evra himself in his written statement in this case said 'I don't think that Luis Suarez is racist'. The FA in their opening remarks accepted that Luis Suarez was not racist.

Luis himself is of a mixed race family background as his grandfather was black. He has been personally involved since the 2010 World Cup in a charitable project which uses sport to encourage solidarity amongst people of different backgrounds with the central theme that the colour of a person's skin does not matter; they can all play together as a team.

He has played with black players and mixed with their families whilst with the Uruguay national side and was Captain at Ajax Amsterdam of a team with a proud multi-cultural profile, many of whom became good friends.

It seems incredible to us that a player of mixed heritage should be accused and found guilty in the way he has based on the evidence presented. We do not recognise the way in which Luis Suarez has been characterised.

It appears to us that the FA were determined to bring charges against Luis Suarez, even before interviewing him at the beginning of November. Nothing we have heard in the course of the hearing has changed our view that Luis Suarez is innocent of the charges brought against him and we will provide Luis with whatever support he now needs to clear his name.

We would also like to know when the FA intend to charge Patrice Evra with making abusive remarks to an opponent after he admitted himself in his evidence to insulting Luis Suarez in Spanish in the most objectionable of terms. Luis, to his credit, actually told the FA he had not heard the insult.

AL JAY
21-12-2011, 01:34

Not to me Timmy,Different kettle of fish entirely, For years football has tried to clean its act up and kick out racism,I am sure you are fully aware of it being a Glasgow Celtic fan. The game has sadly gone backwards recently with the head of F.I.F.A uttering the pathetic excuse that its in the heat of the moment and they should shake hands at the end of the game and forget it, "lets brush it under the carpet" If a fan is found guilty of racism they are now banned for life!!! If they dished the same punishment out to players it would stop overnight...end of.

p.s I would have far more respect for Mr Dalglish if he held his hands up and said "Suarez was wrong and he will do the time" but we know sadly that ££££££ have ruined fitba as we knew it!!! they won't even give him a slap on the wrist!!! Football has been ruined beyond repair by agents and greed!

Added after 15 minutes:

I think it only fair to include LFC,s actual statement this evening so that people have a balanced case before them!

Liverpool Football Club is very surprised and disappointed with the decision of the Football Association Commission to find Luis Suarez guilty of the charges against him.

We look forward to the publication of the Commission's Judgment. We will study the detailed reasons of the Commission once they become available, but reserve our right to appeal or take any other course of action we feel appropriate with regards to this situation.

We find it extraordinary that Luis can be found guilty on the word of Patrice Evra alone when no-one else on the field of play - including Evra's own Manchester United teammates and all the match officials - heard the alleged conversation between the two players in a crowded Kop goalmouth while a corner kick was about to be taken.

The Club takes extremely seriously the fight against all forms of discrimination and has a long and successful track record in work relating to anti-racist activity and social inclusion. We remain committed to this ideal and equality for all, irrespective of a person's background.

LFC considers racism in any form to be unacceptable - without compromise. It is our strong held belief, having gone over the facts of the case, that Luis Suarez did not commit any racist act. It is also our opinion that the accusation by this particular player was not credible - certainly no more credible than his prior unfounded accusations.

It is key to note that Patrice Evra himself in his written statement in this case said 'I don't think that Luis Suarez is racist'. The FA in their opening remarks accepted that Luis Suarez was not racist.

Luis himself is of a mixed race family background as his grandfather was black. He has been personally involved since the 2010 World Cup in a charitable project which uses sport to encourage solidarity amongst people of different backgrounds with the central theme that the colour of a person's skin does not matter; they can all play together as a team.

He has played with black players and mixed with their families whilst with the Uruguay national side and was Captain at Ajax Amsterdam of a team with a proud multi-cultural profile, many of whom became good friends.

It seems incredible to us that a player of mixed heritage should be accused and found guilty in the way he has based on the evidence presented. We do not recognise the way in which Luis Suarez has been characterised.

It appears to us that the FA were determined to bring charges against Luis Suarez, even before interviewing him at the beginning of November. Nothing we have heard in the course of the hearing has changed our view that Luis Suarez is innocent of the charges brought against him and we will provide Luis with whatever support he now needs to clear his name.

We would also like to know when the FA intend to charge Patrice Evra with making abusive remarks to an opponent after he admitted himself in his evidence to insulting Luis Suarez in Spanish in the most objectionable of terms. Luis, to his credit, actually told the FA he had not heard the insult.

I read all of that earlier Timmy and they can say all they want but the bottom line is,Suarez has been found "Guilty as charged" and i don't think they would do that without having 100% concrete evidence and not as stated that it was Evra's word against Suarez!!! Take a look on google Suarez admitted it! Surely your allegiance to Celtic and former player Mr Dalglish has clouded your judgement ! BTW i don't think they will appeal ...Do you? Its also been muted on some football forums that the F.A are not happy with the LFC response, so thats why im certain they won't appeal!!!

The two biggest reds I know both condemned Suarez and said the club's statement was embarrassing. The ones defending him have probably never set foot in our fair city.

duracell290
21-12-2011, 02:54
I cant believe that the UK justice system is being slaughtered like this. Suarez got his trial, and found guilty, he admitted his offence and got his punishment. IMO very lenient should have been 8 months similar to Rio Ferdinands drug test. There is no place in the EPL for racism, whether by MU MC ARS Or CFC players. Bring on the JT verdict.

timmylish
21-12-2011, 03:14
I,m listening and of course am probably in a better position than most, considering my own position and status as the only person, at that time, to have been offered a position on the Board of Celtic FC whilst being of a non Roman Catholic belief! Religion and racism are evils normally perpetuated by ignorance but sometimes also by those individuals whose very existence from early in life in a world they see differently to you and I and also those who seek to make profit from these evils. My single worry is that there is no corroborating evidence and worse these words from the above statement;-
On that basis this would then give me the feeling that it was a "kangaroo" court making these findings. Try, just for one moment, to imagine any other type of normal court proceedings giving this decision based on the evidence provided. The guy in question has clearly not helped his own cause with his general attitude whilst playing for LFC. Are you not using that in your assessment of whether this man has racially abused a fellow human being. I have never taken the time to look at this guy from a footballing perspective but he clearly has abilities like a lot of his fellow South Americans. Why is Tevez having problems in England and why is this guy. That is what I would be looking at at the same time as deciding his future in England because, believe me if this continues, I do not see how he can remain in the UK to ply his trade. 8 weeks ban is no different to 18 weeks or 28 weeks. If this offense were proven to be true is there not a question on whether he should have his work contract and visa withdrawn. I do hope that you understand that if he is a racist I would be one of the first to ask for his permissions to live and work in the UK withdrawn but I worry that the judgement, from the information I have had, is flawed. That's all. As for Kenny well he was never the brightest coin in the fountain so don,t take what he says as gospel. I certainly never did. Smashing bhoy as a footballer and then manager (which has always surprised me!) but really, really "dull". No offence meant! Im going to bed now. Be gentle with me as its certainly not worth getting heated over something, one way or the other, which we have no control over! Speak later, probably!

junglejim
21-12-2011, 04:15
Timmy your reference to CFC is more aligned to sectarianism than racism , obviously a hot potato in Scotland with the recent new legislation being passed on" Offensive Behaviour at Fooball Bill"
http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Topics/Justice/law/sectarianism-action-1/football-violence/bill

The waters are being muddied in Scotland as anti-Irish abuse should be classed as racism but SNP want it to be classed as sectarian .... long arguments !( e.g. The Famine Song)
We now have a new definition that has been spawnedin Scotland "Political Sectarianism" , you couldn't make it up !!
Racism in terms of Saurez has been punished and the next guy up looks to be John Terry on the criminal front, it will be interesting to see where it goes !
Look up the You Tube Video of Balotelli scoring the penalty against Villareal in Champions League where supporter behind goal does the monkey impersonation - was the club fined for that ?

blue marlin
21-12-2011, 09:10
If he is from Portuguese decent it means Bold where is that racist

JillADavidson
21-12-2011, 13:47
"LFC considers racism in any form to be unacceptable - without compromise. It is our strong held belief, having gone over the facts of the case, that Luis Suarez did not commit any racist act. It is also our opinion that the accusation by this particular player was not credible - certainly no more credible than his prior unfounded accusations".
As LFC say, it is a well known fact that Evra has made these allegations before

"We would also like to know when the FA intend to charge Patrice Evra with making abusive remarks to an opponent after he admitted himself in his evidence to insulting Luis Suarez in Spanish in the most objectionable of terms. Luis, to his credit, actually told the FA he had not heard the insult".

Evra gives it out but he can't take it

"We find it extraordinary that Luis can be found guilty on the word of Patrice Evra alone when no-one else on the field of play..heard the alleged conversation".

IMHO Suarez was no more guilty than Evra in this spat. Both said things they shouldn't have, but only one of them is a hypocrite.

timmylish
21-12-2011, 14:07
Just to add fuel to these murky waters I,ve got this article from the Telegraph and if you got to the poll carried out more than 8000 have voted of which more than half have gone for one of the five choices. In my mind a fairly accurate assessment which kind of justifies what i,ve been saying!;-
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/liverpool/8967560/Luis-Suarez-found-guilty-eight-match-ban-and-40000-fine-for-race-abuse-row-with-Patrice-Evra-angers-Liverpool.html#pd_a_5779187

bonitatime
21-12-2011, 16:14
Interestingly el negro is what my son calls his best friend. It isn't an insult here and therefore it is a cultural gap not racist.

AL JAY
21-12-2011, 17:47
Interestingly el negro is what my son calls his best friend. It isn't an insult here and therefore it is a cultural gap not racist.

It wasn't in Tenerife it was in the UK and he called him Negrito which in his native tongue equates to" according to google "Little Black Man" stop trying to defend the RACIST!!! It has no place in todays society!

chips
21-12-2011, 20:36
He said it and he meant it, he knew it would provoke a reaction thats why it was said , the only thing i think is somewhat strange he got eight weeks ban and a big fine if he said it on the street it would probably mean a fine of £2000 tops and would a member of the public be suspended from his job ,i dont think so, it seems the FA justice is harsher than the laws of the land ,i will await the outcome of John Terrys case if he is proven guilty his fine will £2000 and a ticking off ,and then how can the FA punish him again when he has already been punished in law ,just a thought . Merry Christmas all have a good one .Chips

timmylish
21-12-2011, 23:25
So why, other than one comment, is there a complete silence in respect of the claims made against Terry? Or, as I rather suspect (although denials will be forthcoming no doubt), this is an anti LFC and its employees.

chips
22-12-2011, 00:50
I dont think people are being anti Liverpool, i am a Man City supporter ante United yes,anti racism yes ,remarks are said during a game to unsettle and wind up players but the moment you mention colour of skin thats a racist remark for me thats a no brainer ,but should he get a harsher punishment than a racist remark passed in a pub on the street etc thats the question, this will run for a time ,supporters will get behind their team, but the on going question is would the black supporters of Liverpool put up with the words used Suarez i dont think so . Chips

AL JAY
22-12-2011, 02:24
Lets just get one fact straight, If a football fan uses racist remarks at a football match in England and he is arrested he is banned for LIFE...FACT.It happened at Everton a few weeks ago and is LAW... Even former pro's were disgusted that the LFC players came onto the pitch tonight all wearing Suarez T shirts showing they are with him all the way,former LFC player Stan Collymore and Jason Roberts of Blackburn thought it was in poor taste and thought LFC were wallowing in self pity. Black PFA player representative Clarke Carlisle was dismayed that 20 years of hard work visiting clubs on a weekly basis has been ignored by some of these brainwashed players. It will be very interesting when the transcripts of the hearing are released because as was mentioned on "Talksport" you don't get an 8 game ban and 40k fine if you have done nothing wrong!!! Even ex Liverpool and M.O.T.D presenter Mark Lawrensen said using the excuse( its ok in my country) is a load of ******** as Suarez been playing in Holland for Ajax for the last 4 years,speaks 3 languages and is now playing the "ooh i didn't realise that calling another player Negrito was wrong. Anyone who thinks he didn't know what he was saying is in DENIAL...even some LFC fans on their RAWK Forum think he would have been better accepting the punishment and saying sorry!

Added after 29 minutes:

So why, other than one comment, is there a complete silence in respect of the claims made against Terry? Or, as I rather suspect (although denials will be forthcoming no doubt), this is an anti LFC and its employees.

Timmy you are digging a hole for yourself here,I would have thought a man of your knowledge and reading would have checked a few facts first! He was reported to Metropolitan police for his rascist outburst and he faces a court hearing in Feb,Until he has been dealt with by the police the F.A just have to twiddle their thumbs. Sky TV have shown the rascist abuse he hurled at Anton Ferdinand but (pixelled it out) You can view it uncensored via google!

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/top-stories/2011/12/22/john-terry-will-be-charged-with-racially-abusing-anton-ferdinand-cps-confirms-115875-23651585/

I hope he gets a longer ban than Suarez!!!

bonitatime
22-12-2011, 16:23
It wasn't in Tenerife it was in the UK and he called him Negrito which in his native tongue equates to" according to google "Little Black Man" stop trying to defend the RACIST!!! It has no place in todays society!

You don't need to shout at me

garlicbread
22-12-2011, 16:52
Paul McGrath, who suffered plenty of abuse as a player, has summed up the situation with Liverpool wearing those T shirts last night. He reckons that Liverpool, had they chosen to wear anti-racist T shirts, would have made a positive statement without compromising support for their player.

I think the club's response has been poor throughout this affair. The extraordinary public statement made after the verdict didn't just smack of naivity and paranoia, but arrogance too. Consider the background: Liverpool is a city partly built on slavery with an ugly history of racism. Whilst Everton signed Mike Trebilcock back in '66 it wasn't until 1980 that Liverpool signed their first black player (Tony Gayle) and this absence of black players was a source of pride for some of their supporters. Liverpool FC is now at pains to emphasise its opposition to racism, but the club has responded to this allegation by attacking the integrity of the complainent and wilfully misrepresenting the charge, attempting to portray Suarez as the victim and presenting the issue as an attack on the club.

That a high profile sporting institution should let itself down in this way is sad, but also worrying. On the plus side I suspect Man United will NOT be wearing T shirts supporting Evra at the weekend.

Tom & Sharon
22-12-2011, 17:24
Paul McGrath, who suffered plenty of abuse as a player, has summed up the situation with Liverpool wearing those T shirts last night. He reckons that Liverpool, had they chosen to wear anti-racist T shirts, would have made a positive statement without compromising support for their player.

I think the club's response has been poor throughout this affair. The extraordinary public statement made after the verdict didn't just smack of naivity and paranoia, but arrogance too. Consider the background: Liverpool is a city partly built on slavery with an ugly history of racism. Whilst Everton signed Mike Trebilcock back in '66 it wasn't until 1980 that Liverpool signed their first black player (Tony Gayle) and this absence of black players was a source of pride for some of their supporters. Liverpool FC is now at pains to emphasise its opposition to racism, but the club has responded to this allegation by attacking the integrity of the complainent and wilfully misrepresenting the charge, attempting to portray Suarez as the victim and presenting the issue as an attack on the club.

That a high profile sporting institution should let itself down in this way is sad, but also worrying. On the plus side I suspect Man United will NOT be wearing T shirts supporting Evra at the weekend.

I cannot believe the words i am seeing on this thread, YES, the city has a history of slavery and was partly founded on it,so were many other port cities in the country.
What the hell has this heritage got to do with a one quarter black player allegedly calling a black player 'Negrito'??????
So you believe that Liverpool FC still prides itself on the city's heritage and it and its supporters are racist,(if you don't believe that WHY mention it????)but if you came from across Stanley Park you were not racist because you signed a black player first??????
Talk about spouting bilge!!!! :mad::mad::mad::mad:

Typical crap from a Manure supporter and yes i am a Liverpool supporter.

Tom

timmylish
23-12-2011, 01:42
Al Jay. You say I,m digging a hole for myself but I,m not attempting to justify anything, merely asking people to look at all possible aspects of this situation. Just because Terry,s matter is being dealt with by the legal authorities everyone should shut up? My opinion is my opinion and I,ll stick with that, if you all don,t mind.
Jim. I appreciate what you are saying but in Law (and by that I mean what might be considered Common Law) the problem in Scotland IS racist, or at least thats just my opinion for what its worth.

junglejim
23-12-2011, 02:02
Al Jay. You say I,m digging a hole for myself but I,m not attempting to justify anything, merely asking people to look at all possible aspects of this situation. Just because Terry,s matter is being dealt with by the legal authorities everyone should shut up? My opinion is my opinion and I,ll stick with that, if you all don,t mind.
Jim. I appreciate what you are saying but in Law (and by that I mean what might be considered Common Law) the problem in Scotland IS racist, or at least thats just my opinion for what its worth.
Unfortunately Timmy ,the recent legislation under Scottish law passed by SNP, completely bodyswerved the racist part of debate and bulldozed the sectarian ( even politically sectarian) line through .
You would have to read 6 months and more of reports and debates to get the strength of feeling here in Scotland over this !

timmylish
23-12-2011, 02:27
Aye, Jim. I,m probably not the best person to offer comment nowadays. Out of touch for too long and also too set in my ways of what is good and what is bad, right or wrong.
In fact, on both of these threads I,ll call it a day, full stop. Over and out.
For you and I only. Hope and believe that we shall overcome and come thru' the next couple of weeks in good form. Speak soon and a very good night to you and yours. T.

balababe
23-12-2011, 11:11
Although I am not defending Suarez, the word he used, negrito, understandably appears ugly and bigoted when laid down on paper in English. However, in Uruguay as in Argentina and much of Latin America it is considered a neutral, even familiar term. Friends, sons, daughters, parents are addressed with the phrase, or its diminutive negrito/a, whether they are mixed-race or of African or even European descent.

Within that context, however, the word can offend as well. Yes, negrito may often be a term of endearment, but that hardly seems likely on a football field where provocations are plentiful and insults inherent. Although Suarez may insist he meant 'mate', Evra clearly is not his friend and the use of negrito in this case did not form part of an amicable exchange, especially if, as claimed, it came in response to the term "Sudaca" which, with or without context, is an insult itself and about as defamatory as it gets with respect to Latin American heritage and race.

If it is indeed proven that Evra used this insult, then the Frenchman deserves exactly the same punishment as Suarez, be it zero, two, four, or the current sentence of an eight-game suspension.

AJP
24-12-2011, 00:46
Irony irony.....................we now get lessons on racism from Everton fans..................Thats right Everton fans..Youll remember Everton fans for throwing bananas at a certain John Barnes in the late80,s Talking of John Barnes he had this to say
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-merseyside-16309990
I,d take more notice of what he has to say than take lessons from blues on racism