PDA

View Full Version : Phone call from Windows Technical Dept. Is it a scam?

Jackie
22-12-2011, 12:16
I have just received a phone call from a withheld number on my landline from a guy called Andy with an Asian accent who said he was from Windows Technical Dept. He said the reason for the call was that they have noticed every time I have started my computer over the last couple of weeks there are serious problems and if they are not corrected then the problems will get worse. He asked me to go and start my computer and he would talk me through correcting the said problems. Told him I was too busy so he asked could he phone back another time as it was very important, I told him no I would sort my own problems if there were any. Has anyone else experienced this type of call before???

karinagal
22-12-2011, 12:20
Yes Jackie, several times! It is a con, a scam.. They get you to download some software which allows them to remotely access your computer. This makes it look as if they are 'fixing' the virus but instead they use the access to try and pick up saved financial information.

Do not let them do anything under any circumstances.......! See below...

http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/security/online-privacy/avoid-phone-scams.aspx

Jackie
22-12-2011, 12:24
Yes Jackie, several times! It is a con, a scam.. They get you to download some software which allows them to remotely access your computer. This makes it look as if they are 'fixing' the virus but instead they use the access to try and pick up saved financial information.

Do not let them do anything under any circumstances.......!

Thanks for that. I thought it was a scam just wanted to make sure.

karinagal
22-12-2011, 12:35
Thanks for that. I thought it was a scam just wanted to make sure.

Always wise! Didn't realise it had gone global..... They don't half get shirty with you when they realise they've been rumbled! I've noticed that when they phone me (they've tried at least 3 times) the number comes up but it looks like an Internet number - like Skype or similar?!

Ecky Thump
22-12-2011, 13:16
As soon as they say " I represent Windows" or any other way of saying this, dont make any reply at all to them, just put your telephone down.

Medman
22-12-2011, 13:33
As soon as they say " I represent Windows" or any other way of saying this, dont make any reply at all to them, just put your telephone down.

I got my windows cleaned the other day by a guy with a ladder who chapped my door. Is this a scam ? :D

Cairo
22-12-2011, 14:08
I have just received a phone call from a withheld number on my landline from a guy called Andy with an Asian accent who said he was from Windows Technical Dept. He said the reason for the call was that they have noticed every time I have started my computer over the last couple of weeks there are serious problems and if they are not corrected then the problems will get worse. He asked me to go and start my computer and he would talk me through correcting the said problems. Told him I was too busy so he asked could he phone back another time as it was very important, I told him no I would sort my own problems if there were any. Has anyone else experienced this type of call before???

Out of interest Jackie, was this call to a Spanish landline or mobile no, and if so, did they speak to you in Spanish or English first?

I would also be interested to know how they explained they had managed to identify your number?

Jackie
22-12-2011, 14:47
Out of interest Jackie, was this call to a Spanish landline or mobile no, and if so, did they speak to you in Spanish or English first?

I would also be interested to know how they explained they had managed to identify your number?

As I said their number was withheld but it was to my Spanish landline. The guy spoke to me in English but he had an Asian accent. He asked for me by name as well

slodgedad
22-12-2011, 20:27
Unless you have initiated this kind of thing in the first place then never bite.

Remote access, unless you have asked for it, is the worst thing you could ever allow.

warbey
22-12-2011, 20:32
This can be Their means of extracting information to help get Your I.D.

I have had a similar call.

I kepy him talking for two hours, then said No thanks.
He didnt like it.

Windows NEVER EVER call by Phone.

Ecky Thump
22-12-2011, 20:56
This can be Their means of extracting information to help get Your I.D.

I have had a similar call.

I kepy him talking for two hours, then said No thanks.
He didnt like it.

[B] Windows NEVER EVER call by Phone.

They do if you have called their help line in the past, occasionally they make follow up calls, but they will never make a cold call.:)

slodgedad
22-12-2011, 21:02
They do if you have called their help line in the past, occasionally they make follow up calls, but they will never make a cold call.:)

That's what I was trying to say but not quite as eloquently as you, E.

I'm sure they put more alcohol in cans at Christmas..:hi:

warbey
22-12-2011, 21:04

That Supermercado stuff of course.?

slodgedad
22-12-2011, 21:06
That Supermercado stuff of course.?

Of course. Lidl today..Hic

timmylish
23-12-2011, 01:19
This is exactly the type of warning I gave on here recently following my email a/c having been compromised and the subsequent steps which I took to rectify the problem, including speaking to Microsoft (at my instigation).

Ecky Thump
23-12-2011, 11:24

I'm sure that you have put more cans in your Christmas shopping trolley!:cheeky:

Skeggy
23-12-2011, 17:33
This is exactly the type of warning I gave on here recently following my email a/c having been compromised and the subsequent steps which I took to rectify the problem, including speaking to Microsoft (at my instigation).

Several of my friends have had these calls, one of thom said to them that as they knew enough about him to have his telephone number, they would also have his postal address and to but all there proposals in writing, he never heard another thing.