PDA

View Full Version : What are your lifetime's regrets?

Tom & Sharon
27-12-2011, 20:03
When I was much younger I had the chance to go to New Zealand with Sharon when we were first married, for a new job,but with the financial situation in the country at the time (25 years ago) compared with the UK I choose not to go!

Ever since I have had wanderlust for the expat lifestyle,although a stint in Brazil back in 2000 helped somewhat!!

We often wonder what our lives would have been like now with children born in New Zealand or perhaps Australia??

Have you ever had the chance for a life changing experience and choose for what ever reason not to go through with it and you have regretted it ever since??.................

Tom

PS It's amazing what you think about when you're full of Vodka Caramel?? :drunks2:

warbey
27-12-2011, 20:30
I was asked to put a Band together for a Season on Costa Del Sol....

Might have ended up next Door to a certain Mod....? ??????

chocaholic
27-12-2011, 20:32
Regrets Ive had a few but then again too few to mention

Jackie
27-12-2011, 20:45
My biggest regret was 30 years ago when I was 22. My boyfriend at the time asked me to marry him.............like an idiot I did:crylaughing:

Suej
27-12-2011, 20:47
Lighting my first cigarette!:(

Goforgold
27-12-2011, 20:58
Yes!!! Should have listened to my dad and married for money!!!! Only jokin' !!!! :D

9PLUS
27-12-2011, 21:00
What are your lifetime's regrets?

El Mirador

x

tracey_in_tenerife
28-12-2011, 18:24
I regret not moving to Tenerife 4 years ago when we first bought our house over there , my 10 year old is so struggling at the moment , he'd have only been 6 and I think he would have been fine back then but hey ho my younger two are adapting well though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Margaretta
29-12-2011, 01:26
Maybe a change of school for the young man Tracey? That sometimes works or a new 'outside school' hobby or a little extra supportive tuition. I wish him well.

My great regret is superficial but it still wrankles. The Beatles were coming to play at the local Town Hall after their hit 'She Loves You!' I was potty about them but the tickets were on sale on the Friday morning, school morning. We had dreadful threats from the Nuns and our parents if we missed school. Some girls dared, joined the queue, were photographed for the local paper and duly punished at school with detentions. But they had their tickets and went to the concert. I never saw the Beatles in person, still love their music and the memories of them but can't watch a tribute act and regret that I didn't have the courage to do that 'once in a lifetime' deed.

Goforgold
29-12-2011, 10:07
Maybe a change of school for the young man Tracey? That sometimes works or a new 'outside school' hobby or a little extra supportive tuition. I wish him well.

My great regret is superficial but it still wrankles. The Beatles were coming to play at the local Town Hall after their hit 'She Loves You!' I was potty about them but the tickets were on sale on the Friday morning, school morning. We had dreadful threats from the Nuns and our parents if we missed school. Some girls dared, joined the queue, were photographed for the local paper and duly punished at school with detentions. But they had their tickets and went to the concert. I never saw the Beatles in person, still love their music and the memories of them but can't watch a tribute act and regret that I didn't have the courage to do that 'once in a lifetime' deed.

The only consolation I can offer Margaretta is, that you would never have heard them.

Early Sixties, very exciting times!!! :)

kathml
29-12-2011, 10:16
never have regrets its not worth it it's only too easy to say if!!!!!

s1monsg
30-12-2011, 19:00
I know what you mean...you wonder what might have happened, but really, the way I always look at things is that if you are happy where you are now, then anything that has happened in the past has put you where you are now... with the partner you are with, the friends you have, the job you have, where you live etc etc.

Who knows, if you had moved to New Zealand you might not still be together with Sharon...I know I don't know you, but maybe you might not have liked it in NZ but Sharon perhaps would have done and maybe she would have wanted to stay and you would have left, or vice versa...who knows...

I would rather regret something I have done than something I haven't...that is one of my favourite sayings.

BoPeep
30-12-2011, 20:47
I was asked to move to Vancover with the company I was working for as an accountant when I was 20 but I chose to stay in the Uk......

Still I have a great life now with a wonderful husband!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tom & Sharon
30-12-2011, 20:55
I know what you mean...you wonder what might have happened, but really, the way I always look at things is that if you are happy where you are now, then anything that has happened in the past has put you where you are now... with the partner you are with, the friends you have, the job you have, where you live etc etc.

Who knows, if you had moved to New Zealand you might not still be together with Sharon...I know I don't know you, but maybe you might not have liked it in NZ but Sharon perhaps would have done and maybe she would have wanted to stay and you would have left, or vice versa...who knows...

I would rather regret something I have done than something I haven't...that is one of my favourite sayings.

Oh my God,I really wish i had gone now!! LOL :whistle:

Tom ;)

Sal
30-12-2011, 21:01
I regret not continuing my education and going to university.

I also regret missing the opportunity to see Queen in concert when Freddie was still alive. :(

bonitatime
30-12-2011, 21:50
Sal dont regret that join the OU and get learning. I have just at 40 plus finished a degree and will probably start a masters next autumn

Sal
30-12-2011, 22:16
Sal dont regret that join the OU and get learning. I have just at 40 plus finished a degree and will probably start a masters next autumn

Well done you! Good luck with your future studies. :goodluck:
It's a little late for me now. :whistle:

s1monsg
30-12-2011, 22:19
Oh my God,I really wish i had gone now!! LOL :whistle:

Tom ;)

Tut tut...can you delete posts...???

Goforgold
30-12-2011, 22:39
Well done you! Good luck with your future studies. :goodluck:
It's a little late for me now. :whistle:

It's NEVER too late for anything ;)

cainaries
30-12-2011, 23:47

Oh, I did it, Went and queued. Was standing in the queue and my mum turned up and I thought Oh Gawd what'll happen now and she sent me off to school, took my place in the queue and got the tickets! Good thing my father never knew anything about it or else .....

:smack:

Colleen
31-12-2011, 00:04
As the song goes, I've no regrets, they don't really work.

Just keep living. :tiphat:

ddoyle
31-12-2011, 01:17
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Hqc-NWlNJQ&feature=related

Goforgold
31-12-2011, 09:31
Oh, I did it, Went and queued. Was standing in the queue and my mum turned up and I thought Oh Gawd what'll happen now and she sent me off to school, took my place in the queue and got the tickets! Good thing my father never knew anything about it or else .....

:smack:

What a lovely mum you had Cainaries - I bet she made great sausage rolls too ;)

Added after 3 minutes:

I agree with you Colleen - what's the point in regretting anything, you can't go back only forward.

Suej
31-12-2011, 12:21

HA HA!!! you might regret joining us lot on here Colleen! Lovely to see you here and welcome hon!:wave:

Goforgold
31-12-2011, 12:38
HA HA!!! you might regret joining us lot on here Colleen! Lovely to see you here and welcome hon!:wave:

Now how could Colleen have any regrets getting involved in such a lovely bunch?!!! ;)

golf birdie
31-12-2011, 13:17
moving to Tenerife, or maybe not moving back to the UK 10 years back. Too comfortable a life here now but not comfortable enough to live where I want to in the UK:(

Suej
31-12-2011, 13:22
moving to Tenerife, or maybe not moving back to the UK 10 years back. Too comfortable a life here now but not comfortable enough to live where I want to in the UK:(

There are far worse places than Tenerife! try not to dwell on it and enjoy everything you have here!:wink:

golf birdie
31-12-2011, 13:26
There are far worse places than Tenerife! try not to dwell on it and enjoy everything you have here!:wink:

I won't, just need to work harder to get what I want:)

Goforgold
31-12-2011, 13:43

Sometimes when you get what you want, you find it wasn't what you wanted.

Sorry, being a bit flippant - we don't know your circumstances or how you feel, have a good 2012 :)

Ecky Thump
31-12-2011, 13:44
The only real thing that I have regretted in my life is....
"climbing a ladder" on January 4th 2007.
It wasn't really the climbing up that I regret it was the way that I came down it!:laugh:

golf birdie
31-12-2011, 13:53
Sometimes when you get what you want, you find it wasn't what you wanted.

Sorry, being a bit flippant - we don't know your circumstances or how you feel, have a good 2012 :)

no, its what i want, a big house in Stratford upon avon, with big walls to keep out any pesky holiday makers and kids with inflatable Crocodiles. Plus it must have a huge kitchen to hold parties in. What more could I want:)

Goforgold
31-12-2011, 14:01
no, its what i want, a big house in Stratford upon avon, with big walls to keep out any pesky holiday makers and kids with inflatable Crocodiles. Plus it must have a huge kitchen to hold parties in. What more could I want:)

Stratford upon Avon - with all the tourists visiting Bill's??? There are some lovely houses around the countryside there, but just as good ones in less expensive areas, where it's even quieter!! :), but, if you've set your heart on S upon A, who am I to argue?!! ;)

Leam_Lin
31-12-2011, 15:39
[QUOTE=golf birdie;131176]no, its what i want, a big house in Stratford upon avon, with big walls to keep out any pesky holiday makers and kids with inflatable Crocodiles. Plus it must have a huge kitchen to hold parties in. What more could I want:)[/QUOTE

Suej
31-12-2011, 16:24

Good luck! I do hope your dreams come true! Happy New year anyway golf birdie!:wink2:

helhod
03-01-2012, 19:47
I try not to regret ,But it happens :( Life can be full of regrets ,but try leave it behind .Not lost yet :) So it's upwards to fill that i have NO REGRETS!!!

irishmusico
03-01-2012, 20:02
I have no regrets.Every decision I have made,either to do,or not to do something,has led me right to where I am right now.The ups and downs are all my choices and I wouldn't swop any of them.Even if there was something that I regretted,who knows how it would have turned out.Nope,no regrets at all. :)

seanocelt
03-01-2012, 21:42
I have no regrets.Every decision I have made,either to do,or not to do something,has led me right to where I am right now.The ups and downs are all my choices and I wouldn't swop any of them.Even if there was something that I regretted,who knows how it would have turned out.Nope,no regrets at all. :)

Not even one of your amazing shirts?!!!

Medman
04-01-2012, 00:26
The only real thing that I have regretted in my life is....
"climbing a ladder" on January 4th 2007.
It wasn't really the climbing up that I regret it was the way that I came down it!:laugh:

Hence the surname ....... :D

irishmusico
04-01-2012, 10:59
Not even one of your amazing shirts?!!!
Everyone else regrets them,but not me :D

lozzie1821
04-01-2012, 21:26
The only major thing i can think of is not trying hard enough at school, i choose to be the popular "cool" kid than get my head down and help my chances of making something of myself..
I mixed with the wrong crowd out of school which got me into a certain predicament at 16 that again messed up my chances of good exam grades - so yeah thats my biggest regret so far... not trying harder at school which actually means i should have listened to my dad more.....

Some people ask if i regret having my kids so young? my answer NO! i love my kids and even though neither were planned they were created out of love and i wouldnt change them for the world!

i dont even regret the predicament i got in at 16 because at the time it was a situation i wanted to be in so was what i wanted at the time.. I regret the person it involved and how it came to an end though the most...

marbro8
04-01-2012, 21:58
it's weird looking at this thread tonight because i was talking about it today to a work mate lol, about 30 years ago i was meant to go for an audition to sing for a well known local midland band called quill, but due to my stage fright i never went:ashamed:, then a few years later while on a night out i was heard singing by the member of another band and he asked me to come for an audition because their lead singer was going away to uni, so i plucked up the courage and went, and everything was going great untill they played me a demo tape of their ex singer!! he was fantastic and i said i could never live up to it, even though they thought that i could i just walked away:(, then last year my niece and nephews entered me for brittains got tallent and again i bottled it:ashamed:, oh well i am happy with how things have turned out with my life and have fantastic wife who i love dearly and would not have been with if things had turned out differently, and i can still be seen on the kareoke in shambles and such like now and again:crylaughing:

TOTO 99
04-01-2012, 22:15
it's weird looking at this thread tonight because i was talking about it today to a work mate lol, about 30 years ago i was meant to go for an audition to sing for a well known local midland band called quill, but due to my stage fright i never went:ashamed:, then a few years later while on a night out i was heard singing by the member of another band and he asked me to come for an audition because their lead singer was going away to uni, so i plucked up the courage and went, and everything was going great untill they played me a demo tape of their ex singer!! he was fantastic and i said i could never live up to it, even though they thought that i could i just walked away:(, then last year my niece and nephews entered me for brittains got tallent and again i bottled it:ashamed:, oh well i am happy with how things have turned out with my life and have fantastic wife who i love dearly and would not have been with if things had turned out differently, and i can still be seen on the kareoke in shambles and such like now and again:crylaughing:

I'm sure she'd rather have married a rock star mate..:laugh:

cainaries
04-01-2012, 23:13
I'm sure she'd rather have married a rock star mate..:laugh:
With humble apologies to Marbro8 - Toto's reply really has made me laugh out loud.

I don't think I have many regrets but I would love to know where I would have ended up if I had followed the other turning at the crossroads of life on a few occasions.

marbro8
06-01-2012, 18:16
I'm sure she'd rather have married a rock star mate..:laugh:she has but without the fame and fortune:wink2:

tracy hampshire
06-01-2012, 21:05
that i didn't move here years ago when times were good, but there again if i had maybe i wouldn't have met my darling xxxxxxx

celine
10-01-2012, 09:39
yes thats definatly my biggest regret