PDA

View Full Version : What will happen if Tenerife leaves Europe and goes back to the Peseta?

ruggernutter
28-12-2011, 12:39
Tenerife Goes Back to the Peseta & Comes Out of Europe
The shock news for 2012 is that Tenerife will be swapping the euro for the peseta and handing back its European passport in the new year.

With grumblings about the downfall of the euro and Britain’s stubborn stance threatening the EEC, the Canary Island Government has taken the surprising and controversial move of invoking the same law which has allowed Tenerife to enjoy duty free status to withdraw from Europe and re-instate the peseta.

In an ambitious campaign called Keeping Tenerife Canarian the move will improve the financial and employability status of native islanders but will have serious implications for other European nationals currently residing on Tenerife.

read more HERE (http://www.tenerifemagazine.com/homepageonly/tenerife-europe-peseta-tenerife-news-week.htm)

PUNTARASCA
28-12-2011, 12:41
Tenerife Comes out of Europe and Goes Back to the Peseta in Tenerife News of the Week
www.tenerifemagazine.com

almendros
28-12-2011, 12:51
OMG !!!
They must be getting a lot of money in fines to buy everyones apartments back !!!!!!!??????

Sal
28-12-2011, 13:02
Will Tenerife stand alone in this or will it be all the Canary Islands? I don't see how it can just be Tenerife - and what about mainland Spain and the Balaerics?

willowlily
28-12-2011, 13:04
OMG !!!
They must be getting a lot of money in fines to buy everyones apartments back !!!!!!!??????
yes but it will be paid in instalments spread over 40 years so is this another franco inspired property and land grab from the brits. or just another silly rumour.
athough it was not that long ago this happened in spain. in these unusually unstable times who knows what can happen not only in the euro zone.

Loaded
28-12-2011, 13:05
Ha ha yes but today is "día del inocente" is it not????

carpenter
28-12-2011, 13:06
That's funny, I like it ha ha ha

Sal
28-12-2011, 13:09
This is a hoax!!!

This quote is taken from Wikipedia regarding days such as April Fools Day:

In Spain and Ibero-America, an equivalent date is December 28, Christian day of celebration of the Massacre of the Innocents. The Christian celebration is a holiday in its own right, a religious one, but the tradition of pranks is not, though the latter is observed yearly. After somebody plays a joke or a prank on somebody else, the joker usually cries out, in some regions of Ibero-America: "Inocente palomita que te dejaste engañar" ("You innocent little dove that let yourself be fooled"). In Spain, it is common to say just "Inocente!" ("Innocent!"). Nevertheless, in the Spanish island of Menorca, "Dia d'enganyar" ("Fooling day") is celebrated on April 1 because Menorca was a British possession during part of the 18th century.

universal
28-12-2011, 13:11
That's Spanish April Fools Day by the way.

Ian55
28-12-2011, 14:07
Tenerife Comes out of Europe and Goes Back to the Peseta in Tenerife News of the Week
www.tenerifemagazine.com

Can someone tell me, have I slept till the 1st April ? :duh:

irishmusico
28-12-2011, 14:19
Can someone tell me, have I slept till the 1st April ? :duh:

This is true.The Government have been talking about it for ages.The reason is because when they converted to the Euro a lot of people had money stashed away outside of banks,shoe boxes,under the mattress etc.When the Euro came in they couldn't declare their illegal earnings so they just kept them hidden.Now with the peseta coming back,all this money can and will be dug out and put back into the economy.Apparently there are millions of pesetas floating around at the bottom of cupboards,stuffed in mattresses,hidden under rocks,buried in gardens etc.Its going to be great for the economy.

garlicbread
28-12-2011, 14:19
Check the tags in the story and it will all become clear:whistle:

bonitatime
28-12-2011, 15:11
I loved the incensed comments!!!

Duende1
28-12-2011, 15:30
lol love it