PDA

View Full Version : Travel Possible move to Tenerife with a Pug, please help!

mrsmurphy
29-12-2011, 01:32
Hi Guys,

Thanks for taking the time to read my post!

Im thinking of moving to Tenerife at the end of 2012 or sooner if i sell my house etc before then.
I have visited Tenerife since i was a child and want to live in the Adeje area.

The only problem i have is that i have a pug puppy who will be approx 1.5 years old at the time of our move.
I am wondering how well he would cope with the move, and as he is a
brachycephalic breed (short nosed) i wonder if the heat would be too unbearable for him and become dangerous?

He is healthy and young so i think he would be ok but i really dont want to risk his life if other people with a similar breed have had bad experiences.

Obviously i would take all precautions like walking him at night when its cooler and keeping the a/c on for him on really hot days.

I have seen english bulldogs living in Tenerife and they seem fine and also i have seen a pug advertised on this forum for adoption so surely they must survive ok in the heat.

Can anybody tell me if they have any experience with this please??

I would really really appreciate any advice you could offer me as this seems to be the only isssue i have holding me back from my move.
Rehoming my dog in the Uk before i leave is not an option, as he is part of our family and needs to be with us.

Thanks so much for your time and help with this!

Kind Regards

Jenna x

Andy0210
29-12-2011, 01:54
Yes, pop down to your vets he can come here.

Your vet will need to blood test him within a month to make sure the jab has worked and he can travel. x

mrsmurphy
29-12-2011, 02:16
Hi Andy,
Think you posted to the wrong person, but any advice would be appreciated thanks!!
Jenna

jewels
29-12-2011, 03:14
you might be better driving the dog and coming on the ferry cos they dont lik flying dos with a short nose

mrsmurphy
29-12-2011, 03:23
Thanks Jewels for your reply.

What about him living in Tenerife? Any ideas?

Thanks very much x

angeldrawers
29-12-2011, 14:17
I think if you are sensible about when you walk him etc he will probably adapt.Dont let him get overweight.Ihave seen plenty short nosed dogs especially french bulldogs and they seem to manage.I have a pugalier coming over in april and im not overly concerned as i know the dangers and can take precautions accordingly.Good luck.