PDA

View Full Version : Tips and tricks on packing a suitcase

wen53
09-06-2011, 02:27
Just wondered if any forum members have any tips or tricks that would help avoid creases when packing a suitcase.
:idea:
Also any tips on keeping the weight down, seeing as more and more airlines are charging ever increasing fees for baggage.

williethetim
09-06-2011, 07:41
Seriously..Have a check when you get home and see what you could have went without, you will be surprised, don't take towels , you can buy them for 3 euros , only way to cut down weight is take less with you, on a lighter note.. you could sit on the plane with 5 layers of clothes on..

coxan56
09-06-2011, 07:59
Hi To save on creases I always roll my clothes seems to work, might be a light crease but far better than folding

Ann

Zara
09-06-2011, 08:42
Just finished packing my case as we are off at lunchtime. This works every time for me and I have been doing it for years.

In a rectangular case make the bottom level by packing small things like underwear, socks, nightdress etc between the bars that slide out for pulling the case along. Then start with trousers. Hold each pair separately by the waistband and lie them flat along the length of the case, with the knee to ankle hanging out of the side. Repeat with the next pair but in the opposite direction. Next, put your folded shirts and T-shirts on top of the trousers. Now fold in the flaps of the trousers (first left, then right etc). On top go skirts, and dresses. Hold them at the top put them so that they fold back and forth along the length of the case. Shoes wrap in plastic bags and tuck into the sides. Small things and belts roll them up and pack into empty gaps. Dirty clothes keep them all in a bag and pack last.

Vortex Wake
09-06-2011, 08:45
For hand luggage only flights ; pack only essentials, then put on the scales and add those extras.

Remember, some suitcases can be 5 or 6 kgs alone.

Cell phone, camera and Mp3 charges can sometimes use the same charger or power lead.

Roll clothing up and place inside draw string bags to compress them further.

And don't forget that coat with large pockets and a belt around the waist with cell phone and camera holder.

Bazz
09-06-2011, 09:32
Make sure when you buy a suitcase it is the lightest one you can find. ;)

onelegnofeet
09-06-2011, 09:50
Just finished packing my case as we are off at lunchtime. This works every time for me and I have been doing it for years.

In a rectangular case make the bottom level by packing small things like underwear, socks, nightdress etc between the bars that slide out for pulling the case along. Then start with trousers. Hold each pair separately by the waistband and lie them flat along the length of the case, with the knee to ankle hanging out of the side. Repeat with the next pair but in the opposite direction. Next, put your folded shirts and T-shirts on top of the trousers. Now fold in the flaps of the trousers (first left, then right etc). On top go skirts, and dresses. Hold them at the top put them so that they fold back and forth along the length of the case. Shoes wrap in plastic bags and tuck into the sides. Small things and belts roll them up and pack into empty gaps. Dirty clothes keep them all in a bag and pack last.

Do you really need to fold "LITTLE LEGS "Trousers !!!!!:eyebrows::eyebrows:
Have a good trip ...............

Do as the wife does buy EVERYTHING there !! and i mean everything ,its only a problem when you return ............
The wheelie bags weigh so much more and there are still trollies available at the airports ...............ok some will say but you then have to carry it into the hotel ..."DONT TAKE SO MUCH " if your gonna moan !!!??????

with cheese
09-06-2011, 09:56
get the wife to pack..................easy.

Suej
09-06-2011, 10:45
A friend of mine neatly rolls things up rather than folding...it really seems to work! never pack his and hers cases mix the two incase one case should go missing, it does happen and girls itīs nearly always our case that will be lost!;)

Jackie
09-06-2011, 10:55
Lay plastic bags flat between each layer of clothing packed. Normal everyday supermarket bags are fine or even bin bags, they really don't add anything to the weight. I always used to pack like this when going on holiday as I really didn't fancy re-ironing clothes for 2 adults and three kids before we could wear them. Also try not to fold the clothes too much, use the whole size of the case so things are flatter. Underwear,socks etc can be stuffed in shoes, or like Zara said use these items to 'level' out the bottom of the case first.

canarybird
09-06-2011, 11:23
If you're really wanting to be wrinkle-free, lay the clothes out flat on a bed, one item at a time and lay a sheet of tissue paper on top of each one before you fold it, so the tissue lies in the folds. For suits, dresses and jackets (if you are taking dressy clothes) put tissue inside jacket with buttons closed, and a sheet up into each arm, then another sheet on top, fold and put in case. I did this one year for a four-legged flight to west Canada carrying wedding outfits which would be two days in the suitcase.

Lay long pants and jackets flat with one fold in the middle cushioned by tissue paper, roll T-shirts into sausages and push in around edges, socks and underwear in plastic bags inside shoes, and shoes packed down at the bottom end of the case; breakable items in middle cushioned by soft items.

I always use a hard case checked in and a small rollon in the cabin for overnight and toiletries in case my big case is lost.

Canarybird

Suej
09-06-2011, 12:10
Another tip I saw on TV was lay out all you want to pack...take a third away and you will still have more then enough!:airplane:

Malteser Monkey
09-06-2011, 12:26
I lay out on the bed and OH does it ! ooops packing that is

cainaries
09-06-2011, 15:19
When you have packed your suitcase following excellent guidelines from Zara, Jackie and Canarybird do NOT allow OH to cram a pair of tatty old boots on the top of your carefully folded clothes. Still remember the time I opened my case at our holiday destination to find he had reopened my case and shovelled his boots in on top of my once-clean clothes. As for the time he put a jar of honey in without thinking to wrap it in anything like a newspaper or a towel ..... that cost him an awful lot of money as I had to buy new of almost everything. Pack and lock case and repel all boarders.

As for Monkey's plan ... I just can't begin to imagine how that would work except that I would have to buy a new wardrobe on arrival as I don't suppose he would put in anything of mine at all.

warbey
09-06-2011, 20:29
If going somewhere HOT, pack Cotton Clothes as essentials.
If You pack a Case that Tight You have to sit on it, it follows Clothes under pressure crease easier.

Sort out the Essentials, THEN add luxuries before acking.
I always put trousers Last with Hangers that let You hang them upside down full Length.
This helps straighten any folds. Sorry about the Pun but, this SUITS Me.

I like Silk Shirts too. I can get Twice the number if needed..

with cheese
09-06-2011, 20:32
We know what you really mean.

hedgehog
09-06-2011, 21:54
Have nice parents who keep half your stuff in the UK...and then only ever go on holiday there, no luggage, no ironing!

cainaries
09-06-2011, 23:06
Have nice parents who keep half your stuff in the UK...and then only ever go on holiday there, no luggage, no ironing!
Bit late for me. Am trying to persuade a friend (any friend) to let me park a caravan in their garden. No luck so far.

Malteser Monkey
10-06-2011, 08:45
We know what you really mean.

yup stuff the packing just buy when you get there

Dizzy blonde
10-06-2011, 09:06
I collect samples of creams and potions during the year and take these instead of my big pots and bottles. I also decant shampoo, conditioner etc into plastic bottles. They are about Ģ1 in Primark. My son who travel with work always uses a shampoo,conditioner and shower gel all combined in one lotion, he buys that in Boots. In superdrug you can buy travel size of most everything, they are just about big enough for two weeks.

Zara
10-06-2011, 09:09
Just unpacked my case and not a single crease in anything.

We only bring hand baggage as we are staying with family and have warm clothes here I was just under the 10km and had to slide my case into the baggage check as we boarded Ryanair. Slid in easily much to their disgust so not additional 40 quid from me.

onelegnofeet
10-06-2011, 09:15
Just unpacked my case and not a single crease in anything.

We only bring hand baggage as we are staying with family and have warm clothes here I was just under the 10km and had to slide my case into the baggage check as we boarded Ryanair. Slid in easily much to their disgust so not additional 40 quid from me.

WARM CLOTHING !!! ..................but its nearly summer here ??? Did Little legs go in hand luggage too ???

Zara
10-06-2011, 09:26
WARM CLOTHING !!! ..................but its nearly summer here ??? Did Little legs go in hand luggage too ???

I'll have you know that despite what you call him he can still run a long way in a short time on those Little Legs. :eyebrows: Anyway 31 isnīt that short, look at HM, Ecky, Reggie, Cheese ... and without your legs you We are only missing Grumpy and Dopey !!:doh:

Just got the case from the loft, chosen a pair of jeans, long sleeve t-shirt and fleece OMG and the family say it's a lovely day! even though it is gray.

wen53
14-06-2011, 00:15
thanks for the tips.

Do you think I should take shampoo, conditioner, shower gel etc with me or buy it all once I'm out there?

sundownersvince
14-06-2011, 00:46
No...................

Malteser Monkey
14-06-2011, 09:02
thanks for the tips.

Do you think I should take shampoo, conditioner, shower gel etc with me or buy it all once I'm out there?

buy when you get there saves lugging it around and the chance of leakage :lol:

lozzie1821
14-06-2011, 23:12
i pack my suitcase simply for my needs...
shoes 1st then i knw what to match them with & flips flops
jeans 1 pair black/1 pair denim Skirt white
2 pairs of knickers for each day im there - 1 black bra 1 white bra 1 strapless
3/4 favorite night time tops 3/4 day wear tops
2 Bikini my chanel 1 & dior 1
then my accessories 2 match the outfits i plan to wear.
sunglasses gold pair silver pair
hair stuff - straighters and curlers - hair dryer

ive found its easier 2 work up than down!!!!

Goforgold
15-06-2011, 13:56

:) :) :) :)

This has to be Tip of the Day!!!!! :)

howard thornton
15-06-2011, 14:02
I'll have you know that despite what you call him he can still run a long way in a short time on those Little Legs. :eyebrows: Anyway 31 isnīt that short, look at HM, Ecky, Reggie, Cheese ... and without your legs you We are only missing Grumpy and Dopey !!:doh:

Just got the case from the loft, chosen a pair of jeans, long sleeve t-shirt and fleece OMG and the family say it's a lovely day! even though it is gray.

grumpys here mum

wahay
15-06-2011, 14:04
im terrible, must admit i throw mine in , zip it up off i go, dont unpack dont iron hubby does that cause ive no patience whats so ever, infact i could live in a suitcase cause i hate putting cloths away aswell :wall::wall::wall:

howard thornton
15-06-2011, 14:09
im terrible, must admit i throw mine in , zip it up off i go, dont unpack dont iron hubby does that cause ive no patience whats so ever, infact i could live in a suitcase cause i hate putting cloths away aswell :wall::wall::wall:

hey ,me too,now that's a coincidence. as peter kay said,booked it, packed it, fecked off.

wahay
15-06-2011, 14:25
hey ,me too,now that's a coincidence. as peter kay said,booked it, packed it, fecked off.

CHING CHING WAHAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY:drinking::drinki ng:

howard thornton
15-06-2011, 14:29
CHING CHING WAHAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY:drinking::drinki ng:

who's he a Chinese waiter?

Candi
15-06-2011, 16:15
If I go away with my sister we always share toiletries - cuts down on weight . Try and only take 2 nd hand books and then leave them behind !!

wahay
15-06-2011, 17:18
also another good tip is to throw half of your stuff in one case and half in your hubbys partners or who evers and if one goes missing a least you will have half thrown in another case so you wont go without a few clothes for a few days

debi
15-06-2011, 19:40
I agree with wahay I always mix the clothes etc between the 2/3 suitcases then we have all got something if one doesn't turn up.

I also lay out my clothes what I plan to take then take half away!! (I always end up taking too much)

9 weeks and counting:cheer::cheer::cheer:

warbey
15-06-2011, 20:14
Empty One Litre plastic Bottles that contained Mixers, and plenty of socks.
Spirits decanted into them and a sock around each makes good Packing minimum weight..on the return journey..

atlantico
18-06-2011, 19:24
watch this clip on how to pack a case.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5UlxHsgD58

But, to put into hand luggage, I fold them, then wrap cling film around them, keeping them in a tight ball, and then it fits into my hand luggage bag. But, I don't worry about creases, as they're not ironed in the first place, I'll iron before I wear them !

as my picture shows !! Ready for tomorrows flight !

Pink shoes
24-06-2011, 17:17
This year I ditched one of my x2 Carlton hard cases and listened to some good advice. I bought x1 med. sub zero case from Argos in their half price sale for about Ģ30. Well it looks ugly and flimsy BUT oh so light. Saving several kg on my old case. We decided it did not matter so much on the looks if it saves on the kg....It worked! I was able to bring back lots of shopping and case still looks as new.

For those going to Tenerife on holiday... cut back on the long trousers and take shorts, 2/3 trousers as it is soooo.... hot. The same goes for jumpers....girls take a pashmina wrap instead.

Shampoo - I take a half bottle of wash & go. It is a shampoo and conditioner in one.If there is any left I do not bring it back along with deodorants etc...

Shoes - wear the heaviest like trainers and put the sandals, flip flops in the case.

Books to read are often found in sc apartments left by fellow travelers.
This year though I decided to buy x2 in a charity shop @ Ģ1 each (then left in apartment)

emmess
25-06-2011, 20:51
If you are going self catering, in an apartment etc and are going to Tenerife, don't take any toiletries. Do an online Mercadona shop before you go and book it to arrive later the same day, or if you arrive late at night, the following morning. (do leave enough time for if you are delayed). Order all of your toiletries and heavy items like water and other liquids too (these are heavy to carry from the supermarket). We always come with handluggage only so can't carry liquids with us. My Mercadona shop is already saved online ready for me to order when we come out next month and every time I remember something, I add it to my list!