PDA

View Full Version : American retired couple moving to Tenerife

Geo&Kris
31-12-2011, 21:01
Hello from California!
My wife and I are seriously thinking of retiring to Tenerife and we have a few questions. I apologize in advance if I am asking questions that have already been answered. Almost all the posts I've read are geared toward British or other EU members.

Since we are not members of the EU what specific forms & paperwork are required to get a long term/stay visa? Can the paperwork be submitted at a government office once we have arrived or does it have to be done from the US?

We will be arriving with our little five pound dog and will need a place to stay for a week or so until we can take a look around to find a more permanent location. If it was just the two of us we could easily find a place to stay but with junior it won't be as easy! Can any one recommend a reliable agent that we can trust to make arrangements over the internet? We think the North side of the island would be a good place to start looking but we are open for suggestions.

If there are any Americans or other non EU members that would contact us about their experiences living on Tenerife we would very much appreciate it.

I have several other questions but I think this is a good start. Thank you very much for taking the time to read this.

willowlily
31-12-2011, 21:52
Hello from California!
My wife and I are seriously thinking of retiring to Tenerife and we have a few questions. I apologize in advance if I am asking questions that have already been answered. Almost all the posts I've read are geared toward British or other EU members.

Since we are not members of the EU what specific forms & paperwork are required to get a long term/stay visa? Can the paperwork be submitted at a government office once we have arrived or does it have to be done from the US?

We will be arriving with our little five pound dog and will need a place to stay for a week or so until we can take a look around to find a more permanent location. If it was just the two of us we could easily find a place to stay but with junior it won't be as easy! Can any one recommend a reliable agent that we can trust to make arrangements over the internet? We think the North side of the island would be a good place to start looking but we are open for suggestions.

If there are any Americans or other non EU members that would contact us about their experiences living on Tenerife we would very much appreciate it.

I have several other questions but I think this is a good start.
Thank you very much for taking the time to read this.

hi geo and kris, first welcome to the tenerife forum and a happy new year. i have a friend from st monica california whom lived here for a few years she also owned property and had a small dog which she took back and forth to the states several times a year.
you could come for an extended holiday rent an apartment most allow dogs see how you like it. there are lawyers here that could help you with any paperwork, as you are retired you will not be working so that will make it easier and with the dollar on a high with the euro you could be on to a winner. there is at least one other retired american couple on the forum perhaps they will contact you.

Ian55
31-12-2011, 22:00
hi geo and kris, first welcome to the tenerife forum and a happy new year. i have a friend from st monica california whom lived here for a few years she also owned property and had a small dog which she took back and forth to the states several times a year.
you could come for an extended holiday rent an apartment most allow dogs see how you like it. there are lawyers here that could help you with any paperwork, as you are retired you will not be working so that will make it easier and with the dollar on a high with the euro you could be on to a winner. there is at least one other retired american couple on the forum perhaps they will contact you.

Willow,if my little grey cells are not too frazzled with the xmas spirit :lol: I am pretty sure we had a Similar question on the old forum it just gonna be a little hard to find, i'll do my best and repost the link here when/and or if I find it unless our super dooper mod Slodge finds it before me ( I doubt it as he's old and senile :whistle:)

Geo&Kris
31-12-2011, 22:06
Thank you for taking the time to post...
Any information is much appreciated.
Happy New Year!

timmylish
01-01-2012, 00:47
There was definitely a similar posting last year/earlier this (last) year from a couple from the States. Ask the mods to try to find it if possible as there was a lot of information on that thread.
Purely on a personal note, when you do come let us know in advance so that you can bring a couple of box loads of iPhones/iPads all at Calif. prices. I,m sure that we could offer a cheap bottle of vino del plonko as a form of recompense!

junglejim
01-01-2012, 03:32
Thank you for taking the time to post...
Any information is much appreciated.
Happy New Year!
Welcome to Forum and Happy New Year to the Three of You !
I'm sure over next few weeks you'll find all the info you need ... coming from USA I think you'll have to learn many things such as - slooow down , the famous word as you probably know is , manana !, you will love the pace of life here - you choose it and you live it !

slodgedad
01-01-2012, 05:26
Willow,if my little grey cells are not too frazzled with the xmas spirit :lol: I am pretty sure we had a Similar question on the old forum it just gonna be a little hard to find, i'll do my best and repost the link here when/and or if I find it unless our super dooper mod Slodge finds it before me ( I doubt it as he's old and senile :whistle:)

:thanx:, even though right.

These are the only ones I can find at present, it is late though, but they be of help;HERE (http://old.tenerifeforum.com/showthread.php?t=27652), HERE (http://old.tenerifeforum.com/showthread.php?t=44892) and HERE (http://old.tenerifeforum.com/showthread.php?t=73404)

Hope they may be of some help..