PDA

View Full Version : Other New Year's Taxi fares. What a rip off.

JFB
01-01-2012, 18:52
Last night my girlfriend and I asked a taxi driver to take us home. I was more than amazed when the driver asked me 15 € up front when the course is normally 3 to 4 € on a day trip. We, of course, told him he was ripping us off but the next taxi requested 10 € for the same course ! I undersand that during this busy (not that busy anyway...) night taxis charge more than usual but then when i told this driver that I will need a receipt he just said they were all driving with their clock off for new year eve ! At the end we finally found a nice taxi driver with the clock on and I gave him a very good tip (wich is i normally do). I dont want to report anybody to the authority as I am not this that kind of person but I just wish that one day on this island the taxi industry will understand that customer service is essential and at the end of the day the money received on tips by happy customers will match the ripoff 15 € they try to charge on special occasions.

willowlily
01-01-2012, 19:18
Last night my girlfriend and I asked a taxi driver to take us home. I was more than amazed when the driver asked me 15 € up front when the course is normally 3 to 4 € on a day trip. We, of course, told him he was ripping us off but the next taxi requested 10 € for the same course ! I undersand that during this busy (not that busy anyway...) night taxis charge more than usual but then when i told this driver that I will need a receipt he just said they were all driving with their clock off for new year eve ! At the end we finally found a nice taxi driver with the clock on and I gave him a very good tip (wich is i normally do). I dont want to report anybody to the authority as I am not this that kind of person but I just wish that one day on this island the taxi industry will understand that customer service is essential and at the end of the day the money received on tips by happy customers will match the ripoff 15 € they try to charge on special occasions.

putting being ripped of aside i know in the uk and am sure the rules apply here, if the meter is not on then the insurance company will not pay out to the passenger if there is an accident, it will be considered a private journey where compensation is minimal. i went out on xmas eve in tenerife at 8pm it was normal fare, on return at 3am the driver informed me it was it was double which is what i expected, i requested he put on the meter for insurance cover and agreed to pay double the meter. there was plenty of taxis waiting for trade. in fact the whole night was not worth the money we went to our normal cocktail bars, resturants and night club we normallly go to, the service was minimal, sub-standard pre-prepared food, flat champagne cocktails, prices more than usual that is why i stayed in a celebrated the new year at home
next xmas i will do the same i will never again be treated like cattle in a market and being over priced for it
i learned this lessons years ago in the uk and never went out on xmas and new year i must have expected tenerife to be different but now i have learned my lesson which i am sure most people whom reside all year round already know

fonica
01-01-2012, 19:38
Last night my girlfriend and I asked a taxi driver to take us home. I was more than amazed when the driver asked me 15 € up front when the course is normally 3 to 4 € on a day trip. We, of course, told him he was ripping us off but the next taxi requested 10 € for the same course ! I undersand that during this busy (not that busy anyway...) night taxis charge more than usual but then when i told this driver that I will need a receipt he just said they were all driving with their clock off for new year eve ! At the end we finally found a nice taxi driver with the clock on and I gave him a very good tip (wich is i normally do). I dont want to report anybody to the authority as I am not this that kind of person but I just wish that one day on this island the taxi industry will understand that customer service is essential and at the end of the day the money received on tips by happy customers will match the ripoff 15 € they try to charge on special occasions. Judging by the people waiting for taxis on the rank in Los Cristianos last night,I wouldn't have let some of them in my car for 150€ never mind 15€.My taxi driver neighbour had to stop work for over an hour whilst he cleaned vomit out of his car and then got abused for charging extra ( double)at 3.30 this morning. I can't imagine working through the night on New Years Eve for the pittance these guys earn.

9PLUS
01-01-2012, 20:30
Good of them to have told you first

It's understandable on Christmas eve, Christmas day likewise for New Years Eve and day

El Viento
01-01-2012, 21:19
I paid 40 euros yesterday where normally is 15 but I was glad to get a taxi :)

AJP
01-01-2012, 21:36
I,ll give you a perspective from a UK taxi drivers point of view.I drive a cab in Liverpool,,theres a couple of points I,d like to make.The "ripping off" of customers happens here as well,drivers will "sit off" in town with their lights off waiting to "cherry pick" good fares by asking ridiculous prices to go on a short journey.and there are some people stupid enough to pay it.Decent drivers hate this because it gives the whole trade a bad name and ultimitaly loses you work in the long run.As for not being insured without the clock on that isn,t the case here in Liverpool.I can agree a price with a customer when they get in,and also the clocks we use aren,t connected to any database so theres no proof the clock was on either way.The rates we use are set my the council,three tarrifs(or traps as we call them)Trap 1,6.00am till 11.00pm.trap2,11.00pm till6.00am and trap3.for journeys that take you 4 miles past the city boundary.These rates are set in the clock,so at 11.00pm.the clock will automaticaly change traps.the only rate you can manualy change is the out of boundary trap 3.Over the xmas period (6.00pm xmas eve-6.00am 27 dec,the clock was set on trap 3 which equates to about clock and a half,On boxing day I picked up a lady(loose terminology being used here) who as soon as she saw the rate started giving me a mouthfull of abuse about being a greedy chap whose never had a dad.I explained that I had no control over the rate,and any complaints should be made to Liverpool City council,whilst also explaining that as I,m self employed i don,t get holiday pay and that I was forfiting my Boxing day time with my kids to work.I took this lady to a pub in town where she was meeting her husband who had been to work himself that morning,I asked her what did her husband get for going in on boxing day,"Double time and a day off in lieu" she replied.you couldnt make it up

9PLUS
01-01-2012, 21:44
People don't generally understand, it's human error

fonica
01-01-2012, 21:56
putting being ripped of aside i know in the uk and am sure the rules apply here, if the meter is not on then the insurance company will not pay out to the passenger if there is an accident, it will be considered a private journey where compensation is minimal. i went out on xmas eve in tenerife at 8pm it was normal fare, on return at 3am the driver informed me it was it was double which is what i expected, i requested he put on the meter for insurance cover and agreed to pay double the meter. there was plenty of taxis waiting for trade. in fact the whole night was not worth the money we went to our normal cocktail bars, resturants and night club we normallly go to, the service was minimal, sub-standard pre-prepared food, flat champagne cocktails, prices more than usual that is why i stayed in a celebrated the new year at home
next xmas i will do the same i will never again be treated like cattle in a market and being over priced for it
i learned this lessons years ago in the uk and never went out on xmas and new year i must have expected tenerife to be different but now i have learned my lesson which i am sure most people whom reside all year round already know Sorry you had a bad deal last night.Next year go and have a Chinese/Indian meal and then join the locals / tourists in the Plaza in Los Cristianos.Watch the fireworks,listen to the music and enjoy a great atmosphere.We shared our goodies with some Swedish tourists and they told us that it was the best New Year they had ever had. I've been ripped in many parts of the world on New Year and would never pay huge amounts of money for a meal or entertainment on NYE.

willowlily
01-01-2012, 22:50
I,ll give you a perspective from a UK taxi drivers point of view.I drive a cab in Liverpool,,theres a couple of points I,d like to make.The "ripping off" of customers happens here as well,drivers will "sit off" in town with their lights off waiting to "cherry pick" good fares by asking ridiculous prices to go on a short journey.and there are some people stupid enough to pay it.Decent drivers hate this because it gives the whole trade a bad name and ultimitaly loses you work in the long run.As for not being insured without the clock on that isn,t the case here in Liverpool.I can agree a price with a customer when they get in,and also the clocks we use aren,t connected to any database so theres no proof the clock was on either way.The rates we use are set my the council,three tarrifs(or traps as we call them)Trap 1,6.00am till 11.00pm.trap2,11.00pm till6.00am and trap3.for journeys that take you 4 miles past the city boundary.These rates are set in the clock,so at 11.00pm.the clock will automaticaly change traps.the only rate you can manualy change is the out of boundary trap 3.Over the xmas period (6.00pm xmas eve-6.00am 27 dec,the clock was set on trap 3 which equates to about clock and a half,On boxing day I picked up a lady(loose terminology being used here) who as soon as she saw the rate started giving me a mouthfull of abuse about being a greedy chap whose never had a dad.I explained that I had no control over the rate,and any complaints should be made to Liverpool City council,whilst also explaining that as I,m self employed i don,t get holiday pay and that I was forfiting my Boxing day time with my kids to work.I took this lady to a pub in town where she was meeting her husband who had been to work himself that morning,I asked her what did her husband get for going in on boxing day,"Double time and a day off in lieu" she replied.you couldnt make it up

the insurance cover must just apply to london hackney taxis.
but i do agree taxis are entitled to charge extra for xmas and new year and i had no problem paying the double fare

9PLUS
01-01-2012, 23:06
It should be set to double/triple fare

Still think its good of them to have told first

obs
01-01-2012, 23:35
Just to say, me & SWMBO left Los Cristianos in a taxi at about 12:30 am Xmas morning to Valle, the fare was the normal amount. Xmas night, just after midnight (from Los Cris), yet again we were charged the normal price to Valle. - Maybe we were just lucky, but we have no complaints. :)

kathml
02-01-2012, 00:16
Why? its another working day

YOUNG GOLFER
02-01-2012, 00:53
Xmas/New Year for a lot of businesses are a chance to make a few extra pounds.....and why not most people want the time off to spend it with their families others will work these days to earn that little bit more.

Nothing wrong with that.

Why? its another working day

Not for most people.

kathml
02-01-2012, 01:52
Why you don't pay extra for other services like water electricity etc these people are on a rolling week they get paid for doing their job

WHY should taxis bars restuarants etc get paid extra for doing their job

rob897
02-01-2012, 02:09
I mean surely a mile long pile of white taxis and the drivers all hanging about says it all that they are total rip off. Really Surprised the taxi company is still running.

Andy0210
02-01-2012, 02:57
Not being funny but you should know and realise if you go out on any of the special days or nights over xmas or new year you are going to pay fortunes for your taxi back to your hotel at the end of the night.

They can sit in taxi ranks for hours on end in the first two weeks of December when its quiet so why not make the money while they can with double fares on certain days or nights over the festive period, why should people be out enjoying themselves getting drunk until 2, 3 or 4 o´clock in the morning then expect a 5 euro fare home while that taxi man has sat there all night away from his family and freinds waiting to chauffeur drunken tourists home ???

I live in the mountains in a rural area in the same kind of environment that most of these taxi drivers live and after experiencing the fiesta in my local bar on new years eve i am sure they would rather have been with their friends and family having the fun i had last night than sat there waiting for vomiting tourists arguing about the fare in the South! :rolleyes:

9PLUS
02-01-2012, 07:58
Don't forget Andy this ONLY happens in Tenerife

cheers

x

bonitatime
02-01-2012, 10:11
I would expect to pay much more for a taxi on any of these dates and in the past have often told clients that returning from PDLA to Callao Salcaje could cost up to 80 euros. If you wish to travel by taxi on these dates be prepated to pay more. The same as you paid more for your flights to get here.

Vortex Wake
02-01-2012, 10:45
Why you don't pay extra for other services like water electricity etc these people are on a rolling week they get paid for doing their job

But YOU would expect to get paid extra for working a bank holiday ?

DapaTenerife
02-01-2012, 11:19
We phoned for a taxi at 2am new years eve from silenco to las chafiras and it was 12euos!! i gave him a good tip. i have had a few rip off taxi drivers who have tried to charge more than that on a normal night

AJP
02-01-2012, 11:24

Try asking for a quote for a plumber over xmas,do you think the staff who work for the water or electricity companies, work xmas week for normal pay.I,d love you to go out on new years eve to your favourite bar or restaurant,looking to have a nice time with your family, only to find it shut, do to the fact that the staff had walked out cos the boss was only paying them normal pay.

Fred Perry
02-01-2012, 11:36
I would always expect to pay double on New Years Eve but no more. There must be certain rules on this though. They can´t just see how much they can get away with!
It is a wierd one though, the taxi ranks are full all year with bored taxi drivers just sitting there. The night that people really need a taxi you can´t find one for love or money. Spend time with their families? Tough. They chose to be taxi drivers and it is a service that people need. How many people risked driving home after a few beers on New Years Eve because of the price of the taxis or the lack of taxis?

tonypub
02-01-2012, 11:53
its against the law for bars to vary prices,is it not for taxis?hotels?

Fred Perry
02-01-2012, 12:01
its against the law for bars to vary prices,is it not for taxis?hotels?

Obviously not. Supply & demand. If a bar doubled their prices for any event (Xmas, New Year, World Cup Final etc) the clients would not be happy and would probably not return so bad for your reputation. I can see that you are talking about the legal side of this but we all know the taxi drivers are a law to themselves.

AJP
02-01-2012, 12:15
I can only say what happens over here,I can agree a price with a customer,the word being AGREE,if not its the price on the clock,for example 999 out of 1000 its on the clock,but someone might get in and say I,ve only got a tenner can you take me home,even if it would be more on the clock I,can agree to take him.As for bars changing their drinks tarrif,that never happens does it?I,mean if I was a resident,the price isn,t different is it??or maybe when the artist starts the prices always stay the same,don,t they.I can,t condone those drivers that rip people off,not all taxi drivers are the same

redarrow
02-01-2012, 12:24
I paid double to get from Chayofa to PDLA, New Years Eve. But funnily enough, our cab fare home at 05.30 New Years morning was priced normally

KirstyJay
02-01-2012, 12:26

Interesting comment. Xmas day and New year are bank holidays. This means that everyone should have these days off. If a restaurant, taxi or bar wants to work or have staff working these days, then they are expecting their staff to do THEM a favour in order to make THEM extra money, so they should expect to reward their staff in some way to thank them for their commitment to helping THEIR business.

Try asking for a quote for a plumber over xmas,do you think the staff who work for the water or electricity companies, work xmas week for normal pay.I,d love you to go out on new years eve to your favourite bar or restaurant,looking to have a nice time with your family, only to find it shut, do to the fact that the staff had walked out cos the boss was only paying them normal pay.

My bloke worked Xmas day... after a 14 hour shift, he didn't even get so much as a thank you, let alone a bonus. He missed Xmas day with his kids for it... barely got to see them open their presents... and the bar probably made 4 times their normal takings. Needless to say, he was a bit miffed, and said a few words to that effect by all accounts. Voicing his opinions must have made them aware of the oversight though, as he received double pay for New Years.

I honestly cannot understand though, how any employer or customer would not expect to pay more for a service on a national holiday, let alone Xmas... Emergency vets and plumbers etc are more expensive on a weekend... let alone Xmas. I used to get double pay for doing a Sunday shift when I worked in the UK.

In my opinion, if you want people to do a good job for you, then you should treat them respectfully... not expect them to do something for nothing and then be happy about it.

Suej
02-01-2012, 12:44
There will always be services that are ready to exploit the customer that happens everywhere and not only on public holidays! We got a Taxi from San Telmo to Chayofa at 1am Christmas day morning and were charged 8€! it would cost that on a normal night so we shouldn´t be too eager to generalise. :)

kathml
02-01-2012, 14:03
Interesting comment. Xmas day and New year are bank holidays. This means that everyone should have these days off. If a restaurant, taxi or bar wants to work or have staff working these days, then they are expecting their staff to do THEM a favour in order to make THEM extra money, so they should expect to reward their staff in some way to thank them for their commitment to helping THEIR business.

So Xmas day and New year are bank Holidays so what! many workers work these days as normal many public service worker etc are on rolling weeks where all days are treated the same

My bloke worked Xmas day... after a 14 hour shift, he didn't even get so much as a thank you, let alone a bonus. He missed Xmas day with his kids for it... barely got to see them open their presents... and the bar probably made 4 times their normal takings. Needless to say, he was a bit miffed, and said a few words to that effect by all accounts. Voicing his opinions must have made them aware of the oversight though, as he received double pay for New Years.

I honestly cannot understand though, how any employer or customer would not expect to pay more for a service on a national holiday, let alone Xmas... Emergency vets and plumbers etc are more expensive on a weekend... let alone Xmas. I used to get double pay for doing a Sunday shift when I worked in the UK.

In my opinion, if you want people to do a good job for you, then you should treat them respectfully... not expect them to do something for nothing and then be happy about it.

So your bloke had to work a long shift he knew that when he took the job

doreen
02-01-2012, 14:03

Actually, no, Kirsty .... Hospitality sector is different - no entitlement to bank holidays off as such, covered by Convenio (haven't the details to hand)

By your argument, staff should be willing to accept lower pay on less busy days (last month, in fact the first 23 days as it was so quiet !!)

AJP
02-01-2012, 14:17
Actually, no, Kirsty .... Hospitality sector is different - no entitlement to bank holidays off as such, covered by Convenio (haven't the details to hand)

By your argument, staff should be willing to accept lower pay on less busy days (last month, in fact the first 23 days as it was so quiet !!)Maybe theres no entitlement by law, but what about a bit of consideration by owners of bars and restaurants over the way they treat their staff. Or are they are just fodder to be used and discarded,when seen fit.

doreen
02-01-2012, 14:48
Maybe theres no entitlement by law, but what about a bit of consideration by owners of bars and restaurants over the way they treat their staff. Or are they are just fodder to be used and discarded,when seen fit.

Of course workers should be treated fairly ... and I know of some dreadful employers on this island (one who the day after agreeing contract terms on taking over a business, sent a text the next day saying We do not need your services - one week before Christmas!!)

There are also, some pretty bad employees on the island :(

willowlily
02-01-2012, 16:48
many taxi drivers i speak to throughout the winter months complain that the local council can keep churning out new licences as they make a charge for these, but without considerartion that there too many taxis plying for trade. i was informed at 3am on xmas eve about the double taxi fare which i thought was fair, but what i was annoyed about was then sevice and quality of food and drinks in the restuarants i normally frequent they just wanted you in and out charging as much as they could get away with. the advice of one other posters was to eat chinese and indian then watch the free festivities on news years eve in los cristianos, unfortunatly my xmas guests and i had already visited 2 chinese and 2 indan restuarants the previous week and reallly needed a change so we had a barbeque on our terrace and watched the amazing fireworks. if everybody in tenerife did the same these poor overworked underpaid taxi drivers and bar restuarant staff couldn have the whole festive period at home with their families
" a win win situation " and judging that this is only the start of hard times this scernario could last for a decade.

bonitatime
02-01-2012, 23:19
Not sure Tony about Taxi's varying prices but Hotels set their prices at the beginning of the year. The price varies from month to month and tjey can charge that ammount as a maximum. They can legally charge less but not more.

Added after 3 minutes:

So your bloke had to work a long shift he knew that when he took the job

14 hours is well above the legal limit for hours. This is not legal.

fonica
03-01-2012, 14:13

WHY should taxis bars restuarants etc get paid extra for doing their job Do you work in timeshare or are you an ex civil servant? Your view of other workers seems somewhat odd? Taxi drivers cwould just stay at home and enjoy New Year with their families if there wasn't the chance to make some extra money and bars and restaurants charge well over the odds on fiesta days ,so why not pay their staff extra? (most do in fact pay extra over the Christmas and New Year).

Added after 3 minutes:

I mean surely a mile long pile of white taxis and the drivers all hanging about says it all that they are total rip off. Really Surprised the taxi company is still running. No, it just means that the taxi drivers are being ripped of by illegal drivers doing their work without insurance,licence,social security payments etc.(mostly Brits), they can afford to work for less.If you knew what you were talking about you would have some sympathy for the local taxi drivers.

willowlily
03-01-2012, 16:03
Do you work in timeshare or are you an ex civil servant? Your view of other workers seems somewhat odd? Taxi drivers cwould just stay at home and enjoy New Year with their families if there wasn't the chance to make some extra money and bars and restaurants charge well over the odds on fiesta days ,so why not pay their staff extra? (most do in fact pay extra over the Christmas and New Year).

Added after 3 minutes:

No, it just means that the taxi drivers are being ripped of by illegal drivers doing their work without insurance,licence,social security payments etc.(mostly Brits), they can afford to work for less.If you knew what you were talking about you would have some sympathy for the local taxi drivers.

i agree about the illegal drivers which i will not use, i now take the bus to the airport if i am just going on a business trip to uk with hand baggage and if the economy does not pick up all these poor people that have to work in the festive season will soon be able to spend it with their families as few people will be able to afford their services

9PLUS
03-01-2012, 16:49
PRP should be introduced to every employee.

fonica
04-01-2012, 10:17
i agree about the illegal drivers which i will not use, i now take the bus to the airport if i am just going on a business trip to uk with hand baggage and if the economy does not pick up all these poor people that have to work in the festive season will soon be able to spend it with their families as few people will be able to afford their services They won't even have a roof over their heads in most cases.For the majority of taxi drivers (and many others) the problem is now critical and whilst we enjoy the festive season they are losing their homes and can't even provide the basic needs for their families.Times are really hard for many of the local workers and those who have lost their jobs in recent times. There isn't a safety net here as exists in the UK. Times many our posters show a total lack of concern for the very people who made this island the place that they wanted to make their home.Please carry on using the bus,they need your revenue too but don't make it sound like a threat to people who work 15 hours a day/night ,6 days a week and provide a really cheap form of safe transport.

Loaded
04-01-2012, 22:23
Loads of industries have different prices for Xmas and new year:

Taxis
Hotels
Flights
Clubs
Plumbers
Electricians
Etc

KirstyJay
04-01-2012, 22:26
So your bloke had to work a long shift he knew that when he took the jobI'm sorry? Where did I say that? Just because you have a contrary opinion, does not mean you can put words in my mouth. Please don't make assumptions about what conditions people have when excepting a job just to fuel your own point of view. You are incorrect.

Of course workers should be treated fairly ... and I know of some dreadful employers on this island (one who the day after agreeing contract terms on taking over a business, sent a text the next day saying We do not need your services - one week before Christmas!!)

There are also, some pretty bad employees on the island :(As an employer, Doreen, when you have a good employee that does a good job, does not take time off, works hard for you and goes out of the way to do the best for your business, would you say thank you and make them feel appreciated, or not? Bonus, double pay... not really my point. It's a feeling of appreciation for good staff that is, which is sadly lacking in many businesses in Tenerife... and employers seem to blame their high staff turnover on the staff, rather than analysing their own attitude or treatment of them, rather than treating good staff well, listening to their input and keeping them to make their business grow.

Seems common sense to me, and is just my opinion of businesses in Tenerife in general... and going a little off topic now! :D

willowlily
04-01-2012, 23:48
They won't even have a roof over their heads in most cases.For the majority of taxi drivers (and many others) the problem is now critical and whilst we enjoy the festive season they are losing their homes and can't even provide the basic needs for their families.Times are really hard for many of the local workers and those who have lost their jobs in recent times. There isn't a safety net here as exists in the UK. Times many our posters show a total lack of concern for the very people who made this island the place that they wanted to make their home.Please carry on using the bus,they need your revenue too but don't make it sound like a threat to people who work 15 hours a day/night ,6 days a week and provide a really cheap form of safe transport.

people ae losing there homes in the uk also and the so called saftey net in the uk is becoming transparant by the day, i am not making it sound like a threat to people that work 15 hour t6 days a week
i know what hard work is i have worked 20 hours 7 days a week to get a business off the ground for many years and now i dont intend to to waste it supporting overpriced services. i dont think 25-30 euros from the airport is a cheap form of transport when you are traveling alone as i mainly do when the bus is between 1.75 to 1.90

caroletenerife
05-01-2012, 00:46
when i managed a restaurant, i made a point of thanking every member of staff when they clocked off. the owner asked me why i did this and would i stop because they might think they were invaluable and ask for more money. I pointed out that as most of them were under 21 they were on ***** pay and a bit of verbal appreciation goes a long way, they just couldn't see my point. So from when they took over the restaurant it went from having the same loyal staff, who would come in at short notice, work extra during busy periods etc, to now having a very high turnover..not least because they now keep the tips (as part of the business income). Alot of companies dont realise their staff can be their greatest asset...or their greatest liability, depending on how they are treated

KirstyJay
05-01-2012, 00:50
when i managed a restaurant, i made a point of thanking every member of staff when they clocked off. the owner asked me why i did this and would i stop because they might think they were invaluable and ask for more money. I pointed out that as most of them were under 21 they were on ***** pay and a bit of verbal appreciation goes a long way, they just couldn't see my point. So from when they took over the restaurant it went from having the same loyal staff, who would come in at short notice, work extra during busy periods etc, to now having a very high turnover..not least because they now keep the tips (as part of the business income). Alot of companies dont realise their staff can be their greatest asset...or their greatest liability, depending on how they are treatedWell done to you. Maybe some tenerife business will employ you as a manager, as you seem to have good people management skillls :)

caroletenerife
05-01-2012, 02:21
Well done to you. Maybe some tenerife business will employ you as a manager, as you seem to have good people management skillls :)
haha, thanks Kirsty but i'm trying hard to stay semi retired. Dont get me wrong I wasn't a pushover, infact i was a very hard task master, but respect runs both ways. When i left i got a card saying i was like a very tough mum.....i think it was a compliment :confused:

SuzyQ
05-01-2012, 03:14
She is a manager, of a Live Arico charity shop. And bloody good she is at it too. :D

caroletenerife
05-01-2012, 10:37
She is a manager, of a Live Arico charity shop. And bloody good she is at it too. :D
ahh, but thats fun, mind you keeping inline ninja volunteer pensioners is alot harder than renegade teenage staff.:D

timmylish
05-01-2012, 15:37
Nail hit on ots head. Respect your staff and they will respect their place of work. Other factors obviously come into play but as a causal observer here for over 20 odd years the failure to respect staff has left many pubs/shops and the like in a poor position when it should have been much better.

9PLUS
05-01-2012, 15:50
Workers first have to prove themselves

Anyone in business knows this

Respect is earned not given away free with Kelloggs

Too many people dipping in the till

Especially here when you don't know peoples background

primrose
05-01-2012, 15:54
Can somebody explain how 2 Taxi's both with 3 people in, both going from same place, to the same place on Christmas Day and one charged 3 Euros 50 and one charged ten Euros and one Taxi was behind the other why the difference in price.

9PLUS
05-01-2012, 15:58
Can somebody explain how 2 Taxi's both with 3 people in, both going from same place, to the same place on Christmas Day and one charged 3 Euros 50 and one charged ten Euros and one Taxi was behind the other why the difference in price.

One set of 3 didn't pay what was on the meter

primrose
05-01-2012, 16:00
So yes , a Rip Off.rolleyes2:

9PLUS
05-01-2012, 16:07
ermm if you call me out tomorrow (6th) ill charge you more as i value my time more with my daughter than working tomorrow plus its a national holiday - understandable?

But another English electrician may not consider it anything especial because of whatever reason

The rip off is if theres a price difference it should be told before you get into the car ie Like the OP said

charging 3 times more than normal etc etc after you arrive i would class as a rip off

You'd be a bit dim if you'd forgot to ask knowing it was Christmas eve etc

I don't personally think there's too much of a problem charging a little extra even double on the eve's

caroletenerife
05-01-2012, 20:25
Workers first have to prove themselves

Anyone in business knows this

Respect is earned not given away free with Kelloggs

Too many people dipping in the till

Especially here when you don't know peoples background
I agree respect has to be earned on both sides, the dipping in the till and petty thieving is often down to lax management. I have noticed over here that there can be little if any induction period for new staff. A couple of days in the job and they are left to it. If you employ someone you dont know then trust your business with them after less than a week, your asking for trouble.

willowlily
05-01-2012, 21:05
I agree respect has to be earned on both sides, the dipping in the till and petty thieving is often down to lax management. I have noticed over here that there can be little if any induction period for new staff. A couple of days in the job and they are left to it. If you employ someone you dont know then trust your business with them after less than a week, your asking for trouble.

although i dont condone dipping in the till or petty theft when you are being paid as little as 20 euros for an eight hours shift or even 5 euros an hour and expected to practically run the place i am not supprised that it happens

warbey
05-01-2012, 22:06
Last visit, I used a Taxi on four Occasions for a Particular Jopurney.
Three charged the same, around 3 Euro 50 cents.
The fourth Nudged His Meter to get to around 4.79.
I compensated by saying no tip You have already had it.

I paid the Exact "Fare".

Childish perhaps, but He knew what I was saying and why...

9PLUS
05-01-2012, 23:15
I guess €5 take home an hour is more or less the same as £7.5 an hour and then deductions in the UK

For non skilled work it's in line with living

beerfan
07-01-2012, 02:16
Not being funny but you should know and realise if you go out on any of the special days or nights over xmas or new year you are going to pay fortunes for your taxi back to your hotel at the end of the night.

In fact, for these days I would have thought it would probably be better to simply avoid them altogether. You don't have to deal with the crowds, or the vomiting idiots, or the overcharging. Have a few tins at home and go out another night.

Andy0210
07-01-2012, 03:41
[QUOTE=beerfan;133489]In fact, for these days I would have thought it would probably be better to simply avoid them altogether. You don't have to deal with the crowds, or the vomiting idiots, or the overcharging. Have a few tins at home and go out another night.[/QUOT

Someone has woke up and smelt the coffee! :)

Sundowner
08-01-2012, 23:58
If I go out on New Years eve I expect to pay more for everything and I am thankfull that I am not working but have sympathy with those that do and tend to express that with higher than normal tips..........if I can get a Taxi to take me home for a trip that normally costs 5 Euro I would give the driver 20 Euro and wish him happy New Year.
You don't work New Year by choice and deserve to be rewarded for your efforts!

pateen
13-12-2016, 17:23
Anyone suggest a taxi comany for Puerto de la Cruz this New Years?