PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning Tips from my nextdoor neighbour

cainaries
03-01-2012, 00:00
We have had a lot of work done inside the house recently and today OH invited in our next door neighbour for a tour of inspection. Surveying our newly waxed wooden floors she told him it was a mistake to wax them and we should have varnished them so that we could then give them a good mopping with bleach every day. As he recovered from this strange advice she noticed our slightly antique wardrobe and told him he should varnish it in diesel (honest) in case it had woodworm. Well, it might kill the woodworm but I'm a bit worried about what it might do to us! Definitely no smoking in there now.

Any other tips anyone would like to share? If it includes washing your washing machine out with bleach once a week - yeah, had that advice already.

Santiago
03-01-2012, 00:15
We have had a lot of work done inside the house recently and today OH invited in our next door neighbour for a tour of inspection. Surveying our newly waxed wooden floors she told him it was a mistake to wax them and we should have varnished them so that we could then give them a good mopping with bleach every day. As he recovered from this strange advice she noticed our slightly antique wardrobe and told him he should varnish it in diesel (honest) in case it had woodworm. Well, it might kill the woodworm but I'm a bit worried about what it might do to us! Definitely no smoking in there now.

Any other tips anyone would like to share? If it includes washing your washing machine out with bleach once a week - yeah, had that advice already.

Main tip: Ignore everyone and do your own thing - it will all come right in the end. Hope it is all finished now and you can settle down in peace again!!

Andy0210
03-01-2012, 00:37
Diesel is good for woodworm, just google diesel and woodworm and there are loads of pages saying its a good treatment, i would recommend that if you are going to do it do it outside and leave it for a few days for the fumes to clear.

Diesel isn´t particulary flammable you could drop a match in a bucket of diesel and it wouldn´t set on fire it would put it out.

However don´t try that trick with petrol. :)

cainaries
03-01-2012, 11:49
Diesel is good for woodworm, just google diesel and woodworm and there are loads of pages saying its a good treatment, i would recommend that if you are going to do it do it outside and leave it for a few days for the fumes to clear.

Diesel isn´t particulary flammable you could drop a match in a bucket of diesel and it wouldn´t set on fire it would put it out.

However don´t try that trick with petrol. :)

Thanks, Andy, we didn't realise that! Unfortunately the wardrobe has to be dismantled in order to take it out of the bedroom which would mean getting in a carpenter as we don't know how it is mantled. Thanks for the tip because some friends have got other pieces of slightly wormy-looking furniture which they can easily take outside to treat.

Suej
03-01-2012, 12:11
Thanks, Andy, we didn't realise that! Unfortunately the wardrobe has to be dismantled in order to take it out of the bedroom which would mean getting in a carpenter as we don't know how it is mantled. Thanks for the tip because some friends have got other pieces of slightly wormy-looking furniture which they can easily take outside to treat.

We have a water softener but if you haven´t you can once in a while empty 2 bottles of vinegar into your washing machine then put it on a normal 40 degree cycle it will clean and de-calc the pipes!:hello:

Malteser Monkey
03-01-2012, 12:37
hmmm will try that SueJ ta x

cainaries
03-01-2012, 13:14
I am definitely not a domestic goddess. The same nextdoor neighbour has found me a cleaning lady (I didn't ask her to but that's another matter) and the lady arrived this morning and within a couple of minutes she asked for the bleach! OH and I had to try very hard not to laugh.

Malteser Monkey
03-01-2012, 13:33
you don't possess any bleach mujer ? Just what kind of people am I mixing with here :scared::D

cainaries
03-01-2012, 15:57
you don't possess any bleach mujer ? Just what kind of people am I mixing with here :scared::D

RAther scruffy ones in our case.:D

I have always got a bottle of bleach to hand in case someone else wants to use it!:laugh:

I prefer the gentle touch myself.

timmylish
03-01-2012, 16:09
For as long as I can remember the Canarians use bleach for just about any cleaning jobs. Don,t know if its because its cheaper than all the newly introduced, finer cleaning materials?

Malteser Monkey
03-01-2012, 16:23
For as long as I can remember the Canarians use bleach for just about any cleaning jobs. Don,t know if its because its cheaper than all the newly introduced, finer cleaning materials?

I'm the same tho - only have something for the cooker and the shower for the limescale

Suej
03-01-2012, 16:27
I'm the same tho - only have something for the cooker and the shower for the limescale

I often put a slug of bleach into the spray bottles of these cleaners! works well!:)

Malteser Monkey
03-01-2012, 16:46
I often put a slug of bleach into the spray bottles of these cleaners! works well!:)

you need to watch that hun, I once cleaned my shower tray with bleach couldn't get rid of the limescae so used Viakal - think I saw the sun, moon and stars all within the next 15 mins !!!!

Not nice !

cainaries
03-01-2012, 17:35
Since I find cleaning so boring, I have several different spray cleaners just to make the task slightly more interesting. But the obsession with bleach is odd. A friend put quite a few delicates in her machine for a gentle wash to discover after she had turned it on that the dispenser tray was full of bleach left by her Canarian daughter-in-law. The delicates did not survive in the same form.

Suej
03-01-2012, 18:32
you need to watch that hun, I once cleaned my shower tray with bleach couldn't get rid of the limescae so used Viakal - think I saw the sun, moon and stars all within the next 15 mins !!!!

Not nice !

I did do that once MM! with a spray and it foamed up and smelt really toxic! I only put bleach in the normal kitchen/bathroom spray cleaners not with anything very strong or corrosive that has the red "X" on it as I do realise there can be a chemical reaction! Boooooom!!!!!:scared:

warbey
03-01-2012, 21:16
Harpic is good for Limescale removal.
Can also be used in a Solution to clean Dentures cavities. rinse well after brushing though.

cainaries
03-01-2012, 21:19
Harpic is good for Limescale removal.
Can also be used in a Solution to clean Dentures cavities. rinse well after brushing though.

Sometimes I think a 'Yuk' button would be useful ... which reminds me .... what happened to that thread ...?

Nic
03-01-2012, 22:03
Be very careful adding bleach to other products. I worked in Health & Safety and on one course we were shown photos of some accidents that had occurred when people had mixed bleach with other cleaning products. One woman had to have skin grafts on her feet as she poured a bucket of water down the toilet with a cleaning fluid in it and there was already bleach in the loo, it all bubbled over onto her foot, not nice so please be careful. Saying all that.....I'm the biggest bleach fan ever, my husband is always moaning that I use too much! Nothing smells nicer than a freshly bleached loo! God, I really need to get a life lol.

mony71
03-01-2012, 23:11
I always put bleach in the cistern as i find it lasts for a good few flushes.

Andy0210
04-01-2012, 04:17
I use bleach for everything, i even have bleach in an old spray bottle.

It cleans everything and anything and smells amazing! ;)

AbbieJohn
06-03-2017, 12:34
Use Aluminum Foil to Scrub Off Baked-On Food
If you have remnants of your casserole stuck to your baking dish, weld a smooth piece of foil—maybe one you used to hold a plate of food, heat at the same time as the rest of dinner cooked? —into a ball, then use it with a few drops of dishwashing liquid to scrub glass cookware smooth.

Angusjim
06-03-2017, 14:27
Use Aluminum Foil to Scrub Off Baked-On Food
If you have remnants of your casserole stuck to your baking dish, weld a smooth piece of foil—maybe one you used to hold a plate of food, heat at the same time as the rest of dinner cooked? —into a ball, then use it with a few drops of dishwashing liquid to scrub glass cookware smooth.

Thanks for that and welcome to the Forum some good advice here for the Forum ladies:whistle::c2:

lynno52
06-03-2017, 14:28
Thanks for that and welcome to the Forum some good advice here for the Forum ladies:whistle::c2:

:redcard:................

macdonald5
06-03-2017, 14:35
:redcard:................

I agree lynno 52

blondie
06-03-2017, 15:29
Yip ladies , he is skating on thin ice !

Angusjim
07-03-2017, 07:36
I think this would be a good thread to keep live so anyone with any tips for the Forum ladies please post them I am sure they will be well received

delderek
07-03-2017, 19:38
I think this would be a good thread to keep live so anyone with any tips for the Forum ladies please post them I am sure they will be well received

Mmn, seems to me, your almost calling our forum ladies "Old Scrubbers". Hope I'm wrong.:whistle:

macdonald5
08-03-2017, 00:19
Mmn, seems to me, your almost calling our forum ladies "Old Scrubbers". Hope I'm wrong.:whistle:

He'd bloody better be....if he knows what's good for him !! :raspberry2:

LindaD
08-03-2017, 00:38
He'd bloody better be....if he knows what's good for him !! :raspberry2:

:agree: :laugh:

Angusjim
08-03-2017, 07:19

If the cap fits:whistle: