PDA

View Full Version : Where can I buy antacids like Zantac in south Tenerife?

seanocelt
03-01-2012, 16:16
Hi, i thought i would maybe get a generic of zantac in hyper dino etc, didnt see any, is it a pharmacia only job? Thanks, Sean.

Suej
03-01-2012, 16:23
You cannot buy any medications in supermarkets...so yes go to your local pharmarcia. Bemolan can be bought without prescription and are brilliant! you can buy the individual liquid doses which work almost instantly. :)

mike in chayofa
03-01-2012, 17:31
Zantac is available at any chemist OTC.

It is quite an old drug and depending what you want it for, ask the chemist for a suggestion.

If you are using it for stomach protection because of other drugs, Pantaprazol 20mg (or 40, depending) is newer and more effective - again OTC

seanocelt
03-01-2012, 18:28
Thanks guys. I use rinitidine, in any form/name , just occasionally if i overdo certain things (wine mainly!). So a zantac equivelant does the trick, may try another though if its dated.

mike in chayofa
03-01-2012, 19:56
Zantac is a 'brand' name for rinitidine, so the same thing.

If it's for indigestion or heartburn, Almax is what you want ... available as a liquid or chewable tablets (the Spanish equivalent of Gaviscon)

mike in chayofa
03-01-2012, 20:02
Another trick for the occassional 'bad tummy' is half a teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda in a small amount of warm water and sip it. It tastes awful but sorts things out pretty quickly

delderek
03-01-2012, 20:16
Just to add, many of the drugs available in tenerife are double the strength of the UK, for instance most antibiotics prescribed in the uk are 250mg, minimum in Tenerife 500mg. Generic Ibuprofen 200mg UK, 600mg in Tenerife, Omeprazol 10mg UK, minimum in Tenerife 20mg, so be a little careful

bonitatime
04-01-2012, 09:38
Just to add, many of the drugs available in tenerife are double the strength of the UK, for instance most antibiotics prescribed in the uk are 250mg, minimum in Tenerife 500mg. Generic Ibuprofen 200mg UK, 600mg in Tenerife, Omeprazol 10mg UK, minimum in Tenerife 20mg, so be a little careful

I am not sure this is true as the children had 125mg antibiotics when they were small. and you can certainly buy 200mg neurofen in our local chemist, although I perfer someone to bring it from the UK as it is cheaper there