PDA

View Full Version : Teaching English and Ferries ??

Nelly
04-01-2012, 10:20
Hi, I have been thinking about moving to N Tenrife with my family.
I was wondering if their is much work teaching English as a Second Language or generally teaching? as this is what I am qualified in (as well as being a teacher in the UK).
My hubby writes and potters! and we would like to live in the non toursity part of the island, as we want to go to Spain, not a version of england in the warmth (but each to his own).
Also, I hear it is possible to ferry to the islands, but hear the crossing can be rough? is this true? I realise it takes a long time but the hubby does not like flying, so just wanted to check option b!
any advice welcome, happy new year from a chily and wet UK!

Goforgold
04-01-2012, 10:32

cainaries
04-01-2012, 16:30
Hi, I have been thinking about moving to N Tenrife with my family.
I was wondering if their is much work teaching English as a Second Language or generally teaching? as this is what I am qualified in (as well as being a teacher in the UK).
My hubby writes and potters! and we would like to live in the non toursity part of the island, as we want to go to Spain, not a version of england in the warmth (but each to his own).
Also, I hear it is possible to ferry to the islands, but hear the crossing can be rough? is this true? I realise it takes a long time but the hubby does not like flying, so just wanted to check option b!
any advice welcome, happy new year from a chily and wet UK!

Happy New Year and Welcome to the Forum.

Simple question first - if you want to live a non-touristy, non-ex-Pat life ... do you speak Spanish?

Muppet
04-01-2012, 18:53
There are several ways to cross by ferry, Cadiz on the mainland and others from Portugal. They are not cheap if you are bringing a car (which you can only keep here for 6 months on "Foreign" plates.

There used to be a few positions within the education system as assistants in schools, but they have now long gone as I'm sure Kirsty will confirm.

As to call for English teaching generally, frankly not a great deal - certainly not inside the education system - depending where you decide to settle you may pick up a few private students but you will not get rich and would need to be fluent in Canarian Spanish to get by, let alone teach.

Unemployment on the islands is running at around 23%, the minimum wage is 640 euros if you are lucky enough to find a job with a contract, and to work legally as self employed (and therefore qualify for health care) runs close to 300 euros a month (depending on age etc).

Gloomy pcture sadly, other than the weather of course which is usually sunny and warm, in the south and west of the island, much more rain and cold winds in the north

xx

SianC
06-02-2012, 14:26
The best way over is via Huelva, in terms of cost and duration of crossing. In regards to teaching English there are a large number of English Academy's in the North which are privatley owned and offer lessons to adults, school children (out of school time). This might be an avaenue worth considering, although would probably only offer part time hours

ddoyle
08-02-2012, 21:03
We took the ferry from Huelva last October it was a fantastic trip and very reasonable price. The journey time is around 39 hrs, so make sure you get a cabin also when you board the ferry go to the customer service desk and buy a meal voucher for cost about €20 but covers all your meals for the journey. I would love to do the trip again some time.