PDA

View Full Version : Teaching English in Tenerife and Ferries to the islands from Spain

Nelly
04-01-2012, 10:24
Hi, I have been thinking about moving to N Tenrife with my family.

I was wondering if there is much work teaching English as a Second Language or generally teaching? (as I am TFSL qualified as well as being a teacher in the UK).

My hubby writes and potters! and we would like to live in the non toursity part of the island, as we want to go to Spain, not a version of england in the warmth (but each to his own).

Also, I hear it is possible to ferry to the islands, but hear the crossing can be rough? is this true? I realise it takes a long time but the hubby does not like flying, so just wanted to check option b!
any advice welcome, happy new year from a chily and wet UK!

MrsTT
12-07-2012, 22:00
:hello: I have just come across your request on the forum as I was researching the question for someone else! http://www.ehow.com/how_5065876_become-teacher-spain.html this site may give some answers if you haven't already googled them for yourselves!

KirstyJay
13-07-2012, 16:48
:hello: I have just come across your request on the forum as I was researching the question for someone else! http://www.ehow.com/how_5065876_become-teacher-spain.html this site may give some answers if you haven't already googled them for yourselves!Having read that page, I think it's targetted more at mainland Spain and may be somewhat out of date, as it mentions that there is a shortage of English teachers in Spain... while that may be true for the mainland, unfortunately it's not really the case here.

As a TEFL teacher myself, I can tell you that there are currently over 300 qualified TEFL teachers that were working in the public schools, who were laid off and are now looking for jobs. 108 of them are in Tenerife. I know this, as I was one of them. Luckily for me, I have managed to take over a local business and build it up, but I know of many many qualified TEFL teachers in Tenerife that do not have work, yet they have been here years and have many valuable contacts that you would not have.

I would think VERY seriously about coming to Tenerife with TEFL as your only ambition. The peninsula... especially the Madrid area... however, is apparently a different story.

Good luck whatever you decide :)

MrsTT
13-07-2012, 17:37
Thanks Kirsty - I thought you would have more facts at your fingertips. The OP was in January though and had slipped through without catching a reply!

Clinton
25-09-2012, 14:06
Hi,

I have an English school in La Laguna, Tenerife.

Please contact me via PM for details

Kind Regards.

Clinton.

duduanna
16-11-2012, 12:20
Hi Clinton

After just reading the posts..

I'd like to know if you have a vacancy at the moment for an English teacher.
I'm Trinity qualified and hoping to work as a teacher in Tenerife.

Kind regards

Deanna

please pm me