PDA

View Full Version : What over the counter medicines and antibiotics can you get in Tenerife?

fritzy
05-01-2012, 12:18
Hi all, my first thread on this forum. May I ask what sort of medicines can you buy over the counter in pharmacies in Tenerife? In particular must penicillin be prescribed by a doctor or perhaps a dentist?

Suej
05-01-2012, 12:28
There is a clamp down on selling Anti-biotics in Tenerife although there are one or two pharmarcias that still do sell prescription drugs over the counter but you canīt rely on that. There are English GPīs who will be able to give you a prescription but obviously you have to pay for that appointment as well as for your prescription at the Chemist.

Goforgold
05-01-2012, 13:09
There is a clamp down on selling Anti-biotics in Tenerife although there are one or two pharmarcias that still do sell prescription drugs over the counter but you canīt rely on that. There are English GPīs who will be able to give you a prescription but obviously you have to pay for that appointment as well as for your prescription at the Chemist.

Do you if there any reciprocals for pensioners on holiday from the UK?

Suej
05-01-2012, 13:25
Do you if there any reciprocals for pensioners on holiday from the UK?

You would have to bring your prescription meds with you or pay to see a Doctor to get your prescription for your medication...remember that some drugs are not available here so that can create a problem!

Goforgold
05-01-2012, 13:33
Just remembered when OH was ill we went to the health centre in Los Cris and the visit to the doctor and injection he gave him were free but we had to pay for the prescriptions at the chemist. We had that EU card thingy though.

Skeggy
05-01-2012, 13:48
Just remembered when OH was ill we went to the health centre in Los Cris and the visit to the doctor and injection he gave him were free but we had to pay for the prescriptions at the chemist. We had that EU card thingy though.

recently on holiday my wife saw a doctor using the EHIC card, the Doctor gave a prescription for which we paid 40% of the cost at the Farmacia, my wife is a pensioner and should have received the prescription free the Doctor gave her the wrong colour prescription, Green you pay, Red/Brown is for pensioners and qualifies for free medication.

Suej
05-01-2012, 13:51
recently on holiday my wife saw a doctor using the EHIC card, the Doctor gave a prescription for which we paid 40% of the cost at the Farmacia, my wife is a pensioner and should have received the prescription free the Doctor gave her the wrong colour prescription, Green you pay, Red/Brown is for pensioners and qualifies for free medication.

I stand corrected Skeggy! I am not a pensioner but thought the same rules applied! so sorry to OP if I have given the wrong info!;) I was told that the EHIC was for emergencies only!

cainaries
05-01-2012, 15:10

But did you tell the doctor she was a pensioner?!

timmylish
05-01-2012, 15:17
And is Spain and the UK in the same ages for female pensionistas?

Goforgold
05-01-2012, 16:43

How would I know if I we paid 40% of the cost at the Farmacia Skeggy? I just handed it over without looking at it. Is that 40% for anyone using an EHIC card?

I stand corrected Skeggy! I am not a pensioner but thought the same rules applied! so sorry to OP if I have given the wrong info!;) I was told that the EHIC was for emergencies only!

The OP is probably a whippersnapper like Andy2010 !! :D

Skeggy
05-01-2012, 18:13
Hello Again,
With regard's pension age my wife is 65, I am sure if she were Spanish she would qualify, the EHIC contains the date of birth of the holder which would be transferred to the copious details recorded by the receptionist. If seeking treatment as a visitor on a reciprocal basis one should have a knowledge of the Spanish language. Our knowledge of that is very limited but for the essentials we coped. I did not mind paying the 40% of the cost, and I do not blame the Doctor whom the Pharmacist said had made a mistake regarding the correct prescription form. The system worked for us and we appreciated the hindrance that we had caused the receptionist.
I believe that everyone Spanish as well pay 40% 0f the cost of the prescribed items except Pensioners for whom it is free, that applies of course to EU Citizens.

cainaries
05-01-2012, 19:07
Hello Again,
With regard's pension age my wife is 65, I am sure if she were Spanish she would qualify, the EHIC contains the date of birth of the holder which would be transferred to the copious details recorded by the receptionist. If seeking treatment as a visitor on a reciprocal basis one should have a knowledge of the Spanish language. Our knowledge of that is very limited but for the essentials we coped. I did not mind paying the 40% of the cost, and I do not blame the Doctor whom the Pharmacist said had made a mistake regarding the correct prescription form. The system worked for us and we appreciated the hindrance that we had caused the receptionist.
I believe that everyone Spanish as well pay 40% 0f the cost of the prescribed items except Pensioners for whom it is free, that applies of course to EU Citizens.
Sorry if I snapped - I thought you were having a grumble. I don't think any of the information you provided to the receptionist would have been passed to the doctor - they take all those details down so they can send a bill to the UK (or so I've been told).

Added after 5 minutes:

Sorry, I've forgotten to attach the question about the age of pensionistas. This is where it gets complicated. As I understand it the answer is 'no' because the Spanish women only qualify at 65. However, if you have the right paperwork, they will accept you as a pensioner if you are registered as drawing your old age pension in the UK.

And I think Suej is right that the EHIC card only covers emergency treatment - even for pensioners. I read all the conditions quite carefully because I was trying to work out if I also needed to take out travel insurance (the answer seemed to be 'yes'). People on regular medicines are expected to bring/take enough with them to cover their trip. And also correct that preferred and commonly used medicines in the UK are not always available in Spain.

Skeggy
05-01-2012, 19:43
Thank you for your response cainaries, We would not go the Doctor on holiday by choice and hoped that the problem could have been solved at the farmacia, but it required antibiotics which he could not provide only on prescription, not a life threatening condition but we were in Tenerife for a month and so took advantage of the reciprocal arrangement of the EU. I do always have Travel Insurance which has served me well in the past when requiring Hospital treatment, however most insurance companies ask you to use the EHIC card whenever possible before making a claim on their policy.

Goforgold
05-01-2012, 19:51
OH isn't a pensioner and we just walked into the health centre at Los Cris, saw the doctor he had a jab to stop the sickness and we were never billed for it - I'm a bit confused now by the posts - it doesn't take much!! :D

cainaries
05-01-2012, 20:35
Thank you for your response cainaries, We would not go the Doctor on holiday by choice and hoped that the problem could have been solved at the farmacia, but it required antibiotics which he could not provide only on prescription, not a life threatening condition but we were in Tenerife for a month and so took advantage of the reciprocal arrangement of the EU. I do always have Travel Insurance which has served me well in the past when requiring Hospital treatment, however most insurance companies ask you to use the EHIC card whenever possible before making a claim on their policy.

You are absolutely right! Emergency treatment. Obviously your OH doesn't look old enough for the doctor to think she might be a pensionista.

OH isn't a pensioner and we just walked into the health centre at Los Cris, saw the doctor he had a jab to stop the sickness and we were never billed for it - I'm a bit confused now by the posts - it doesn't take much!! :D

Emergency treatment again so no bill!

Goforgold
05-01-2012, 20:48
You are absolutely right! Emergency treatment. Obviously your OH doesn't look old enough for the doctor to think she might be a pensionista.

Emergency treatment again so no bill!

Thanks - next question!! When would it not be classed as emergency treatment? If someone was on meds and forgotten them ?

Suej
05-01-2012, 20:57

If OH was taken sick on holiday he would be entitled to use the EHIC but if he just decided he wanted to see the Doc for a repeat prescription say, then No I really donīt think his EHIC would be accepted, having said that it may be down to individual Doctors to determine whether the condition is an emergency or not, I certainly would say to any UK holiday maker (pensioner or not) to take out travel insurance.

Added after 2 minutes:

Thanks - next question!! When would it not be classed as emergency treatment? If someone was on meds and forgotten them ?

You would have to check that to see if it is excluded as a condition of the EHIC!

warbey
05-01-2012, 21:35
Perhaps its worth mentioning that Painkiller Tablets cannot be bought just Anywhere.
They have to be bought at a Pharmacia. This applies to all of Spain I believe.

Goforgold
06-01-2012, 09:55
If OH was taken sick on holiday he would be entitled to use the EHIC but if he just decided he wanted to see the Doc for a repeat prescription say, then No I really donīt think his EHIC would be accepted, having said that it may be down to individual Doctors to determine whether the condition is an emergency or not, I certainly would say to any UK holiday maker (pensioner or not) to take out travel insurance.

Added after 2 minutes:

You would have to check that to see if it is excluded as a condition of the EHIC!

You're right, always take out travel insurance - worth every penny!!

Can I leave it to you to check the Rules & Regulations of that EU thingie? ;)

Suej
06-01-2012, 11:44
You're right, always take out travel insurance - worth every penny!!

Can I leave it to you to check the Rules & Regulations of that EU thingie? ;)

Lazy s** get on the internet and have a look!:lol::lol::lol:

Added after 35 minutes:

Correct Warbs! only Pharmarcias will sell any type of medication, also if there is a particular drug/medication that you want remember it may not be available here so take your tablets with you so the Pharmacist can give you the Spanish equivalent!

Goforgold
06-01-2012, 19:10
[QUOTE=Suej;133225]Lazy s** get on the internet and have a look!:lol::lol::lol:

Did you call me a lazy get??!! :wow: Or was that get on the internet??!! :lol:

warbey
06-01-2012, 21:07
Lazy s** get on the internet and have a look!:lol::lol::lol:

Added after 35 minutes:

Correct Warbs! only Pharmarcias will sell any type of medication, also if there is a particular drug/medication that you want remember it may not be available here so take your tablets with you so the Pharmacist can give you the Spanish equivalent!

There has also previously been a Thread about the different Prices and Standards of Pharmacias.
There is some variety there too.

malvasia
05-06-2012, 15:01
On the first reply to this thread, Suej, mentions that 1 or 2 pharmacia's still sell antibiotics. Does anyone know who/where they are ??
Thank you.

Suej
05-06-2012, 15:18
On the first reply to this thread, Suej, mentions that 1 or 2 pharmacia's still sell antibiotics. Does anyone know who/where they are ??
Thank you.

The one near McDonalds in Las Americas used to sell antibiotics over the counter but I'm not sure now I'm afraid! The last time a friend got AB's for a bad tooth abscess was about a year ago!

macdonald5
05-06-2012, 15:40
The one near McDonalds in Las Americas used to sell antibiotics over the counter but I'm not sure now I'm afraid! The last time a friend got AB's for a bad tooth abscess was about a year ago!

The one along from Verdes near San Eugenio sold Asthma puffers that are only available on prescription in Britain Friend bought some last month (May)
Almost sure I heard her say that antibiotics are no longer sold without prescription

Suej
05-06-2012, 16:14
The one along from Verdes near San Eugenio sold Asthma puffers that are only available on prescription in Britain Friend bought some last month (May)
Almost sure I heard her say that antibiotics are no longer sold without prescription

I think you are certainly right! still lots of prescription drugs can be bought over the counter but AB's seem to be a No No now!

Ecky Thump
27-04-2017, 12:47
Does anyone know if you can buy in a Tenerife chemist either Betahistine Tablets or Stemetil Tablets?
Both of which are used for the relief of dizziness, vertigo and possible sickness caused by a inner ear disturbance.

blondie
27-04-2017, 13:12
Yes Iimagine they will ok to buy over the counter , if you have the original box take it with you as I think they will have another name for the same drugs .
I find the chemists are excellent in Tenerife especially in Los Cristianos . On the other hand the parafarmacia ones are robbing gits and sell you anything
and tell you its for your symptoms . I listened one day to one of them giving a mum a spiel about what they sell is far better for her child than prescription drugs . At that point I had to intervene , she still gives me evil glares when I pass her shop to this day but I would do it again .
Hope you have a wonderful holiday Ecky and Carol 55 :drinking::pepsi: