PDA

View Full Version : Animal Chat Our Labrador having his jab today for new passport!

Dave Social
05-01-2012, 15:19
6pm tonight here in the UK our pooch 'Tyler' is having his injection for his passport. He's excited! He knows hes going to live in Tenerife soon with us.

It's all changed with the passport system over here for pets this January. Has just one injection and only three week wait for his passport to come through.

This is our 7yr old pooch. Daft as a brush!

timmylish
05-01-2012, 15:30
Lovely, lovely face on him. Similar to one of mine many years ago. Fond memories. Hope he travels well and enjoys his move to Paradise!

Goforgold
05-01-2012, 16:58
What a great dog Dave - I used to have a golden one, lovely dogs :)

Dave Social
05-01-2012, 20:20
Had his Rabies jab within the last hour. Boosters in 2 weeks, then pick his pasport up two weeks before we leave for Tenerife.

He did'nt mind about the jab, loves the Vets. Plus we know he knows somthing goods happening. Keep telling him 'Beach' because he likes going to the beach every month or so over here in the uk.

We need to get his weight down, vet said. He's big and will stuggle with the heat at first. So from tonight he's on a diet. Feel cruel cutting his food back.

caroletenerife
05-01-2012, 20:29
Where are you moving to Dave, you need to be careful which beaches you go to. Remember to get him his heartworm treatment when you arrive, its a nasty disease, depending on where you are moving to, im sure forum members can help you with advice over vets

Dave Social
05-01-2012, 21:22
Where are you moving to Dave, you need to be careful which beaches you go to. Remember to get him his heartworm treatment when you arrive, its a nasty disease, depending on where you are moving to, im sure forum members can help you with advice over vets

Golf Del Sur. Not sure but when we take him back in two weeks to the vets for his boosters maybe it can be given then while still in UK. If not will get it done as soon as we arrive. Spotted a vets surgury on the main road in Silencio when out ther in October. Cant remeber what it was called. If any good I'll go there. I'll see if theres one in the Golf but fear it will be expensive due to location???
Thanks

caroletenerife
05-01-2012, 21:34
Not too sure what vets are in that area, but pretty sure someone will get back to you with the name of a good vet. And any good dog walking routes in the area Live Arico and most of the animal refuges use Hospivet in Las Chafiris, which is along the road a bit. i did ask at a UK petshop for heartworm treatment last week, as they sell it at pet shops in tenerife, but they had never heard of it. A UK vet will probably have access to it. Good luck with your move, your dog will have time to get used to the heat, its not that hot at the moment.

Tom & Sharon
06-01-2012, 01:24
Hospivet Sur at Las Chafiras is absolutely excellent, and not expensive at all.

We live on the golf, and are local to you in UK, and can assure you the treatment here is far better, and far cheaper.

We have a rottie who was 7 when he came here. He weighs 50kg, and for the first week he kept lying in the wet shower tray trying to cool down. After that, he never looked back and now loves to lie in full sunshine. I don't think he'd want to move back to Cheshire any time soon!

timmylish
06-01-2012, 01:51
For Heartworm we use Stronguard. Vets, animal shops and Farmacias sell this treatment with the latter being the cheapest. When at the UK vets mention parvo-virus which breaks out here nearly each Spring.

Muppet
07-01-2012, 09:57
And please be careful on the beaches too. It is illegal to take dogs onto beaches even with leads and many cash-strapped councils are enforcing the law as the fines come in useful.

Goforgold
07-01-2012, 10:04
For Heartworm we use Stronguard. Vets, animal shops and Farmacias sell this treatment with the latter being the cheapest. When at the UK vets mention parvo-virus which breaks out here nearly each Spring.

I didn't realise until a couple of week's ago that UK vets now recommend heartworm treatment here, but there is nothing available for Collies or collie x dogs at the moment as the present treatment on Collies could prove lethal to them. They are working on trying to find something that will suit Collies in the future. Now I hadn't got a clue that it was dangerous to use on Collie or Collie x - so no chance of bringing out our dog for long term winter sun at the moment, even if we could!! :(

Dave Social
13-04-2012, 20:58
On the island now! Dogs been here a week and is fine. Now question is? Are dogs banded from going down in to none beach areas like coves and bays which is of rock and not sand. Can they swim in the sea?

timmylish
13-04-2012, 23:12
Probably no! But everyone does it!!!!!!!!!!!!