PDA

View Full Version : Do you think 5€ an hour is a reasonable wage in Tenerife?

willowlily
05-01-2012, 19:17
This thread was originally started as psrt of a discussion on this thread : http://www.tenerifeforum.org/tenerife-forum/showthread.php?12578-Experience-Cook-amp-bar-person-required-in-San-Eugenio-alto

Plenty of bars & restaurants are now paying 20 euros a shift which can be 8 hours long so I think a lot of people are happy to get 5 euros an hour and enjoy the work they are doing too.
Most of my staff have worked for me for more than 2 years and are very happy with the perks they get at Next Door bar, The Corner Shop and The Terrace at Malibu Park

20 euros for an eight hour shift means we are all going down with the titanic. i hope you find new staff to join the many staff who have happily worked for you for more than 2 years.

Ecky Thump
05-01-2012, 19:40
20 euros for an eight hour shift means we are all going down with the titanic. i hope you find new staff to join the many staff who have happily worked for you for more than 2 years.

Ah, but you forgot the many perks that were mentioned at the bar next door, but don't expect them to be in the form of alcohol, because that's banned, so maybe you get a bag of crisps to eat at the end of your enjoyable 8 hour shift!;):D

Simon-M
05-01-2012, 21:58
20€ for an 8 hour shift is 2.50€ an hour. 5€ an hour for an 8 hour shift is 40€.

That's one hell of a big bag of sweeties. Let's say you work 6 days a week. That will bag you 240€. A month will see you taking home 960€ (don't forget to pay your tax everyone). There are a lot of people out there living on a darn site less than that. You might even get a shot at earning some tips. Who knows, if it all works out well you might even be able to ask for a bit more.

What's the minimum wage in Tenerife by the way?

Ecky Thump
05-01-2012, 22:08
20€ for an 8 hour shift is 2.50€ an hour. 5€ an hour for an 8 hour shift is 40€.

That's one hell of a big bag of sweeties. Let's say you work 6 days a week. That will bag you 240€. A month will see you taking home 960€ (don't forget to pay your tax everyone). There are a lot of people out there living on a darn site less than that. You might even get a shot at earning some tips. Who knows, if it all works out well you might even be able to ask for a bit more.

Its a part time job, not a 48 hour working week job, so there is no way you could earn the figures you have quoted, unless you are lucky enough (or unlucky at that rate of pay) to find a few part-time jobs where the hours don't overlap.

willowlily
05-01-2012, 22:17

What's the minimum wage in Tenerife by the way?

simon judging from past threads for staff you would be lucky to last in that place for 1 week so you can forget about " that big bag of sweeties "

it appears there is no mininum as most of the staff in these place are working illegally ie: cash in hand

Simon-M
05-01-2012, 23:42
Its a part time job, not a 48 hour working week job

Ahhh...but is it a part time job or a part time job :) Days and evenings are available... nudge nudge ...wink wink...

I'm sure I read in the paper this week there was a minimum wage. I was amazed to read it but it appears there actually is. Whether or not it is enforced though is neither here nor there.

How many people here who run a bar have their staff on indefinados or whatever it is they are called? I'm going to take a flyer on this and say not many. At least it's a job, someone might be grateful for it.

willowlily
06-01-2012, 00:40
Ahhh...but is it a part time job or a part time job :) Days and evenings are available... nudge nudge ...wink wink...

I'm sure I read in the paper this week there was a minimum wage. I was amazed to read it but it appears there actually is. Whether or not it is enforced though is neither here nor there.

How many people here who run a bar have their staff on indefinados or whatever it is they are called? I'm going to take a flyer on this and say not many. At least it's a job, someone might be grateful for it.
if someone was desperatly grateful for this job which requires both skilled " cooking " unless its case of sticking it in the microwave and unskilled work " cleaning and dragging people in off the streets" from a company that has advertised this job several times on the old and new forum over the last few years god help them

Andy0210
07-01-2012, 21:25
May i make the suggestion Willowlily if you arenīt interested in the job which you clearly arenīt then butt out everyone is entitled to an opinion but it seems yours has become personal.

Iīve been on the island for almost 7 years and have had times when i have worked for nothing in the hope of pulling people in to a bar so that i get paid and have also had a couple of jobs where i got paid 5€ an hour and been glad of it.

When you have nothing you are glad of something no matter how small it is.

There is a world of difference between coming here 5 or 6 weeks a year or even for the winter as a swallow and living here as a resident trying to earn a living, even if this job is 4 hours a day at 5€ an hour over 5 days thats a 100€, times that by 4 weeks and thats 400€.

An average studio costs 300 - 350€ a month so this part time job could be the difference between someone sleeping on the beach or a roof over there head or the difference between eating and not eating.

I canīt believe that every time Next Door comes on here offering someone the chance of employment this time and also in the past they get vilified by all and sundry, eventually they will get peeīd off with it advertise their vacancies elsewhere and that then denies this forums members the opportunity of the chance to find a job.

willowlily
07-01-2012, 22:52
May i make the suggestion Willowlily if you arenīt interested in the job which you clearly arenīt then butt out everyone is entitled to an opinion but it seems yours has become personal.

Iīve been on the island for almost 7 years and have had times when i have worked for nothing in the hope of pulling people in to a bar so that i get paid and have also had a couple of jobs where i got paid 5€ an hour and been glad of it.

When you have nothing you are glad of something no matter how small it is.

There is a world of difference between coming here 5 or 6 weeks a year or even for the winter as a swallow and living here as a resident trying to earn a living, even if this job is 4 hours a day at 5€ an hour over 5 days thats a 100€, times that by 4 weeks and thats 400€.

An average studio costs 300 - 350€ a month so this part time job could be the difference between someone sleeping on the beach or a roof over there head or the difference between eating and not eating.

I canīt believe that every time Next Door comes on here offering someone the chance of employment this time and also in the past they get vilified by all and sundry, eventually they will get peeīd off with it advertise their vacancies elsewhere and that then denies this forums members the opportunity of the chance to find a job.

i respect your feelings and opinions in your post but i am also free to post my feelings and opinion which are not without substance.
this place has employed most of the people desperate for work on this and the last forum so back off bully boy

Added after 5 minutes:

Is this a job with a legal contract? Not sure I care what you are paying your staff but I would be interested to know if they will be affiliated to the social security system.
My friend might be interested but if you are not providing a contract I couldn't recommend.

maybe your friend should contact the social security and ask if this establishment employs anyone under a legal contract

Andy0210
07-01-2012, 23:11
i respect your feelings and opinions in your post but i am also free to post my feelings and opinion which are not without substance.
this place has employed most of the people desperate for work on this and the last forum so back off bully boy

I find it difficult to see where i am being a bully, two members of this forum have thanked my reply, one being one of the most respected who owns the venue where the forum Christmas Party was held at, i canīt see him risking his reputation by thanking a post involving bullying.

I am merely trying to explain to the likes of yourself who openly admits they arenīt a resident or a worker by stating Bournemouth as first residence and Tenerife as being the place they holiday what life is like on this island.

If anything by the tone (not Tonypub) of your replies towards Next Door it is you who is victimising another member and being the "Bully Girl"

I was merely trying to educate you although it seems you are uneducable on this subject so i will leave it at that as there are only so many times you can bang your head against a brick wall before it starts to hurt. :)

willowlily
07-01-2012, 23:18
I find it difficult to see where i am being a bully, two members of this forum have thanked my reply, one being one of the most respected who owns the venue where the forum Christmas Party was held at, i canīt see him risking his reputation by thanking a post involving bullying.

I am merely trying to explain to the likes of yourself who openly admits they arenīt a resident or a worker by stating Bournemouth as first residence and Tenerife as being the place they holiday what life is like on this island.

If anything by the tone (not Tonypub) of your replies towards Next Door it is you who is victimising another member and being the "Bully Girl"

I was merely trying to educate you although it seems you are uneducable on this subject so i will leave it at that as there are only so many times you can bang your head against a brick wall before it starts to hurt. :)

it seems you are the one banging your head on a brick wall , i spend nearly 6 months a year in tenerife and have done for the last 12 years and i hate to see exploitation
maybe you are a regular at tonypub and he felt obliged to back you up

Andy0210
07-01-2012, 23:31
Working or holidaying??

Have you ever been in Tenerife wondering how you are going to pay your rent thatīs due on Friday or if you are going to have enough money for your bus fare to get to work for the rest of the week, or where you are going to get 10€ to put fuel in your car to get you there??

No i didnīt think so!

For the record i have been in Tonys pub twice, once as a customer a year ago, once to collect some keys from someone for a job i was doing for them.

And the only time i have ever met him was in Young Golfers office when we were both dropping donations off at the same time for the fundraiser for the woman in the coma at the end of last year.

I think he just agrees that i am talking sense and you are talking twaddle.

This isnīt the UK this is Tenerife, tell you what next time you come for your 6 month holiday leave your money at home and earn your living here then you will have a totally different perspective of life on the island.

I dare you!

doreen
07-01-2012, 23:32
Could we take this debate elsewhere please and leave this job thread for those in need to follow up.

PS
(1) yes, I personally know someone with a part time contract at Malibu and (2) the minimum wage, I think is around 670 euros per month for a full time job.

Andy0210
07-01-2012, 23:39
Could we take this debate elsewhere please and leave this job thread for those in need to follow up.

PS
(1) yes, I personally know someone with a part time contract at Malibu and (2) the minimum wage, I think is around 670 euros per month for a full time job.

Sorry Doreen, it just annoys me when people come on slagging jobs and employers off and they have no idea of "real" life on the island.

670€ a month minimum wage for FULL TIME makes 5€ an hour look like stockbrokers wages.

Anyway, thats the last time i chip my oar in. :)

willowlily
08-01-2012, 00:28
Working or holidaying??

Have you ever been in Tenerife wondering how you are going to pay your rent thatīs due on Friday or if you are going to have enough money for your bus fare to get to work for the rest of the week, or where you are going to get 10€ to put fuel in your car to get you there??

No i didnīt think so!

For the record i have been in Tonys pub twice, once as a customer a year ago, once to collect some keys from someone for a job i was doing for them.

And the only time i have ever met him was in Young Golfers office when we were both dropping donations off at the same time for the fundraiser for the woman in the coma at the end of last year.

I think he just agrees that i am talking sense and you are talking twaddle.

This isnīt the UK this is Tenerife, tell you what next time you come for your 6 month holiday leave your money at home and earn your living here then you will have a totally different perspective of life on the island.

I dare you!
i dont come on holiday every year for six month's a year i live here for 6 months a year where i do all my own shopping, cooking and cleaning.
i have worried in the past where my next meal was coming from or whether i had a roof over my head from one week to the next, but worked many hours for years in a much cooler climate than tenerife , it only comes back really to the exploition of vunerable people. been there got the t shirt, medals and scars to prove it
sorry to all for going off topic this is my last word on this subject

Andy0210
08-01-2012, 00:55
i dont come on holiday every year for six month's a year i live here for 6 months a year where i do all my own shopping, cooking and cleaning.

How incredible of you!

I would like to nominate this as thread of the year 2012 in honour of Willowlilys amazing achievements in Tenerife for 6 months of the year every year ??? :rolleyes:

tonypub
08-01-2012, 11:58
ive kinda been on holiday this week as my daughters here.ive noticed loads of bars/resturants now have many chinese/arab staff.for sure these people are being exploited by low wages.5euro an hour is the take home hourly rate for a worker.tax/insurance etc is paid by the employer making the hourly rate more like 6-50e an hour if on a contract.i think most ex-pat owned bars pay a fair wage.times are tough for everyone atm,so im sure someone will be greatfull of the job.aguapark used to employ loads of people doing one job,now you see a life guard doing bins/dolphins/selling photos et al.you really need to be a jack of all trades in the jobs market at the minute.its a huge expence to hire and fire here compared to the rest of the world,hence the high unemployment.the sooner this issue gets addressed the better for us all.

CIM
08-01-2012, 13:05
I suppose it comes down to whether or not people are happy to live here if they have to work for 5€ an hour. If itīs not enough, but its all thats on offer/all they can find then the only other choice is to return home or go to another country where salaries are higher. If it was me, Iīd be looking at a better opportunity elsewhere. Long term financial well-being outweighs sunshine and the beach. But plenty seem happy with it so I guess theyīll crack on take these jobs.

Ecky Thump
08-01-2012, 13:17
To us in the UK, a wage of €5 a hour does sound low and hard for us to understand why people would choose to work for that rate, even as CIM has said some people are there just for the sunshine and beach.
Do the local people earn a higher rate as opposed to the immigrant workers, eg. British and again how do the people who were born and bred in Tenerife view the workers who do take the jobs on offer, is there any animosity shown towards immigrants like there is in the UK.

Simon-M
08-01-2012, 13:24
But plenty seem happy with it so I guess theyīll crack on take these jobs.

If they don't want them, there seems to be plenty of people that do as Tony has pointed out. It's a race to the bottom.

If some of the negative people put that negative effort into something positive they might be able to better their situation rather than blaming employers for their hardship. The only difference between an employer and an employee by the way is that one has taken a greater risk than the other.

Positive effort will always be rewarded more than negative effort. You have to take responsibility for your own situation. It is nobody else's fault than your own.

tonypub
08-01-2012, 14:19
if your on the minimum wage in the uk,you will take home less after deductions than someone in tenerife on 5e take home an hour

willowlily
08-01-2012, 14:54
How incredible of you!

I would like to nominate this as thread of the year 2012 in honour of Willowlilys amazing achievements in Tenerife for 6 months of the year every year ??? :rolleyes:

sorry i forgot to mention that i also work on the internet 30 hours plus per week when in tenerife so the odd 10 mins on the forum is a good distraction.
i also have to travel back and forth to uk as and when required.
we seem to have gone off topic again, i do have sympathy for people here who are finding it difficult to make ends meet and had never intended to offend anyone but after observing the forum old and new wanted to offer a word of warning that said place looking for employers have a history of treating staff badly and there are lots of forum members that know it but dont want to get involved in this thread because they live and have to work here.

primrose
08-01-2012, 15:12
sorry i forgot to mention that i also work on the internet 30 hours plus per week when in tenerife so the odd 10 mins on the forum is a good distraction.
i also have to travel back and forth to uk as and when required.
we seem to have gone off topic again, i do have sympathy for people here who are finding it difficult to make ends meet and had never intended to offend anyone but after observing the forum old and new wanted to offer a word of warning that said place looking for employers have a history of treating staff badly and there are lots of forum members that know it but dont want to get involved in this thread because they live and have to work here.

Make your mind up Willowlily, firstly you say having observed the Forum old and new that the Bar has a history of treating employee's badly, then you say nobody will come on here and and back you up because they live and work here, This is a thread started by somebody advertising a job so why have you been so nasty about a bar or employer you know nothing about except by your own admission you have only read about on the Forum. If this job is of no interest to you just leave it and let somebody who needs a job make their own mind up.Oh by the way employer= somebody who employs , employee somebody who is employed.

willowlily
08-01-2012, 15:35
primrose dearest, keeper of the " the correct english grammar society " thanks for pointing out my gramatical oversight, but being both employer and employee in my lifetime i do know the difference. but thanks anyway
i do also know several people personally that have had a bad experience with this company so it is not all forum hearsay, and with all this publicity that
" NEXT DOOR " has created lets hope all their paperwork is in order

primrose
08-01-2012, 15:48
Willowlilly as you are not interested in the job that has been advertised why dont you just leave it and let the people that are find out for themselves, your post comes across as nasty and threatening.

willowlily
08-01-2012, 16:25
Willowlilly as you are not interested in the job that has been advertised why dont you just leave it and let the people that are find out for themselves, your post comes across as nasty and threatening.

dear primrose i am truely sorry i never intended my post to come across as nasty and threatening.
ps. when posting most people including yourself make grammatical errors

tracy hampshire
08-01-2012, 21:31
i worked in a bar here for 700 euros a month, with contract, but working between 50 & 60 hour a week, might be a bad wage but i loved every minute of it, some times it's a case of when needs must, i probably wouldn't of got out of bed for that in the uk, but my boss & his wife were lovely, helped me find my feet, even went to the doctors with me when need be, i don't find the cost of living as expensive here as in the uk, eg rent, wish i still had that job, but in the current economic climate by boss had to reduce his staff by one, and me being the only one !!!!!!!! so lets not be so hard on people who are still trying to give people jobs hey, me for one would be round there stright away if i lived in the south, but being up here in the north jobs are few and far between, but ever the optermist still looking & hoping :)

DOREEN QUINN
09-01-2012, 01:24
Its very difficult nowadays with the 'crisis' - people are so desperate for work, I have had so many people calling into the bar looking for any type of work, and some who said they would work for very little money. Such a shame that things have got to this stage.....

celine
09-01-2012, 02:07
hi..im new to the forum but we are contimplating moving out with our family this year..
i agree with your post...london is the same..i have a 22 year old with 4 levels workng in homebase..no It jobs to be had..and a 18 year old with 15 gcse,s working as a part time casual in a hotel...
working life is pretty bad all round the world at the moment..
youngsters dont have the luxury of waiting till a good job comes along they have to take what you can get
it must be awful to have turn people away..
celine

kathml
09-01-2012, 02:09
I think you've seen nothing yet its going to get a lot worse

Its very difficult nowadays with the 'crisis' - people are so desperate for work, I have had so many people calling into the bar looking for any type of work, and some who said they would work for very little money. Such a shame that things have got to this stage.....

Andy0210
09-01-2012, 02:21
Can i just remind people before this thread gets dragged into the days of Victorian England and Chimney Sweep category that compared to the " minimum wage" on this island that this job in the scheme of things is actually quite well paid.

This is the current minimum wage details for 2012 in Tenerife

Indefinado contracted personnel 641€ per month or 21.38€ per day which equates to 2.67€ per hour

Temp staff ie working for same employer for less than 120 days: 30.39€ day or 3.80€ per hour

So, on that basis can we just forget about the current state of affairs and stop bringing this thread into the land of negativity and say that if anyone is interested please contact the OP and just leave the discussions at that??

9PLUS
09-01-2012, 15:09
How much an hour for unskilled work?

tonypub
09-01-2012, 15:14
i sometimes wish i was getting 5e an hour

Simon-M
09-01-2012, 15:21
i sometimes wish i was getting 5e an hour

Instead of the 100€ an hour you get today, just so you can feel like one of the mortals :)

How much an hour for unskilled work?

How unskilled are we talking here :)

Sundowner
09-01-2012, 16:07
5 Euro an hour is peanuts when you are used to 30+ an hour!

But 5 Euro an hour is a fortune if you have no job and bills to pay!

9PLUS
09-01-2012, 16:12
PR in a bar in the UK how much an hour?

Added after 40 minutes:

5 Euro an hour is peanuts when you are used to 30+ an hour!

OMG that old one "Then i was in the UK i was such and such and i did everything massive"

Sundowner
09-01-2012, 17:26
PR in a bar in the UK how much an hour?

Added after 40 minutes:

OMG that old one "Then i was in the UK i was such and such and i did everything massive"

Sorry I do not understand what you are saying?

Simon-M
09-01-2012, 17:34
My advice to anyone that would not get out of bed for 5€ an hour.

Stay in bed!

Mawkin
09-01-2012, 17:37
[QUOTE=9PLUS;134178]PR in a bar in the UK how much an hour?

Added after 40 minutes:

Thank goodness in the UK we feel there is no need for customers to be chased down the road so I imagine the pay is €0 per hour.

Ecky Thump
09-01-2012, 17:40

The only thing relating to money that I have ever had in the UK that is massive, is my overdraft!;)

Sundowner
09-01-2012, 17:50

I think I have got your meaning now:doh:

You thought I was boasting I was earning 30 Euro an hour........that was not the case, I was using 30 Euro as a comparison only.
Sorry if I did not make it clear...........

9PLUS
09-01-2012, 19:37

I think I have got your meaning now:doh:

You thought I was boasting I was earning 30 Euro an hour........that was not the case, I was using 30 Euro as a comparison only.
Sorry if I did not make it clear...........

No No No not at all Sundowner i understood what you'd put but you do hear that all the time

"I'm not working for €5 cause i is blah blah blah"

tracy hampshire
09-01-2012, 19:51
back in the uk i worked, shift work in a factory as a quality control op, 5am till 1pm & 1pm till 9pm, 38 hours a week for Ģ220 a week, and that was one of the higher paid jobs, so when you work it out not much difference, and bar work isn't a skilled job .

9PLUS
09-01-2012, 20:04
Did you have 20 - 25% deducted out of that or was that take home?

tracy hampshire
09-01-2012, 20:17
that was take home, but that was a semi skilled job, with labratory work involved in a food factory, and it also included 17percent shift allowance, just working regular hours was less, & don't get me started on how the immigrant workers were exploited.

caroletenerife
09-01-2012, 20:32
In the Uk, I worked for a company that exploited immigrant workers, they paid them less than minimum wage but they were too scared to say anything, because earning less than they should be getting was better than not earning at all. But karma came a calling when the police, Health and safety, immigration, inland revenue etc swept in. It was dandy sitting there watching it all unravel.

Simon-M
09-01-2012, 20:45
It was dandy sitting there watching it all unravel.

Were there any jobs left at the end of it?

atlantico
09-01-2012, 21:21
My personal opinion is, if I needed the job badly enough, I'd work for €5 an hour and THEN make myself so indispensable and a necessity to the business they'd be willing to pay double within 6 months ! Today glass collector, then barman, then manager, then area manager, and so on, so I'd treat the €5 wages as a stepping stone. And as with Tonypub, I'm self employed and sometimes don't earn Ģ5 an hour in the UK either ! (for the hours we put in)

tracy hampshire
09-01-2012, 21:27
they did pay them min wage where i worked, ( all agency workers) but then charged them for protective clothing etc, which by law company has to provide,but i often saw workers finishing a shift at 1 am & told to start again at 5 am, and if they didn't they would be laid off, so i really don't think that things are that bad over here, some people should look closer to home , if they want to see real exploitation.

caroletenerife
09-01-2012, 21:47
Were there any jobs left at the end of it?
Oh yeah, the business was solid, but that was just the tip of the iceberg, unpaid taxes, unpaid council tax on 18 properties, they were renting out caravans then renting them to immigrant workers 8 to a 4 berth and then deducting stupid money from their wages , hence the immigration and H and S people. Employers like that deserve everything they get, the company just 'sold' to a family member and they declared themselves bankrupt. So he no longer drives a porshe...i saw him when i went home , he was driving fiesta:D. But these kind of people always end up smelling of roses in the long run

cainaries
09-01-2012, 22:04
There must be people running their own businesses (I would imagine) taking out nothing at all an hour occasionally. Would it also be the case that some (by no means all) of the people happy to earn 5 euros an hour are also reliant on the bank of mum and dad back home? I spent a very happy summer in Greece many years ago working all hours in a bar with the most appalling accommodation because it was an adventure. At the end of the season I was very happy to go home to my comfy bed and all mod cons laid on by mum. Big difference between people like that and people with literally nothing. And, to answer the question in the post, I wouldn't work for 5 euros an hour for someone else but seem to work for nothing at all for myself!

9PLUS
09-01-2012, 22:27
I'd like to see your money go further in the UK on 8 pounds an hour.

bonitatime
09-01-2012, 22:50
If there are two of you either a couple or sharing then the 5€ minimum wage is livable. You are never going to be rich but you can get by.
I am not sure what job it is that the basic is 600 odd euros as every time I talk to our gestor she talks about an 800 minimum but there are jobs at that rate as I have read gov. quotes about them.
My worry is always that these people on low wages also have no contracts, and therefore no dole and no Drs. There is some fall back here but only if someone has paid into the system

cainaries
09-01-2012, 23:18
I'd like to see your money go further in the UK on 8 pounds an hour.

If you mean me by 'you' I don't live in the UK.

tracy hampshire
09-01-2012, 23:19
with my job here, money not fantastic, but had contract, managed at times on 700 euro a month for both of us when my oh wasn't working, but now at least i can get the paro whilst looking for something else, must admit i would be very reluctant to take a job cash in hand, now understanding how the system works, unfortunately i no longer have a mum & dad to turn to, those were happy days, have to stand on my own 2 feet now 5 euros or not .

pablo1
09-01-2012, 23:23
I remember when the pesata changed to the euro and my wage which was 8mil a night at the time went to 60 euros. That was 12 years ago, anybody paying 5 euros an hour ( unless that's take home and fully legal with contract ) should either do the job themselves or close their doors because it's a disgrace.

The fact that there are people unfortunate enough to be in the position to actually take that job doesn't make it right, in fact it makes it worse.

cainaries
09-01-2012, 23:31
with my job here, money not fantastic, but had contract, managed at times on 700 euro a month for both of us when my oh wasn't working, but now at least i can get the paro whilst looking for something else, must admit i would be very reluctant to take a job cash in hand, now understanding how the system works, unfortunately i no longer have a mum & dad to turn to, those were happy days, have to stand on my own 2 feet now 5 euros or not .

I'm sorry if you thought I was having a go at anyone on this thread because I definitely wasn't. Just thinking about daughters of friends who did a season of bar work in Ibiza just cos it was such a great party atmosphere and they didn't mind the conditions. I could imagine it would be possible to staff a bar a little along those lines - it certainly used to be but I suspect the world has changed in the last couple of years. No longer having bank of mum and dad is a hard lesson in life. Good luck with everything.

9PLUS
09-01-2012, 23:56
Blimey unskilled work how much an hour?

Company car, €15 an hour, contract and 60 days holiday is that OK now?

Anything else whilst we are on the subject

How much for unskilled work ?

tonypub
10-01-2012, 00:23
I remember when the pesata changed to the euro and my wage which was 8mil a night at the time went to 60 euros. That was 12 years ago, anybody paying 5 euros an hour ( unless that's take home and fully legal with contract ) should either do the job themselves or close their doors because it's a disgrace.

The fact that there are people unfortunate enough to be in the position to actually take that job doesn't make it right, in fact it makes it worse.whats the take home hourly rate of your staff pabs?

pablo1
10-01-2012, 01:33
whats the take home hourly rate of your staff pabs?

It varies mate. I pay my 2 part-time bar staff Ģ6.50 an hour plus perks ( a meal and a couple of beers at the end of the shift!! Ha Ha!) the rest of the staff is made up of myself and family members who are partners in the business. We pay ourselves a low salary and if the year has been successful then we take a bonus. Some years have been better than others. The only other staff are my chefs but they both earn more than me !!

Added after 11 minutes:

Blimey unskilled work how much an hour?

Company car, €15 an hour, contract and 60 days holiday is that OK now?

Anything else whilst we are on the subject

How much for unskilled work ?

I don't think you've put enough emphasis on ' unskilled ' mate. Were you grinding your teeth as you typed the word ? :-)

gsc
10-01-2012, 05:53
Anyone see the news about Primark a while back? They got slammed in the press for usiing cheap labour abroad (India I think and young kids ). They pulled the contracts and many families suffered badly because of it.

Don't get me wrong, I don't agree with what they were doing, but sometimes there isn't a simple solution.

9PLUS
10-01-2012, 07:48
In the UK an approved electricials national rate of pay (excluding London area) per hour is Ģ13.59 (Classed as highly skilled trained work)

Am i right in saying that approximately 25% would be deducted from that ?

If so, that's leaving him/her with +or- Ģ10 per hour (wage NOT take home)

An approved electrician working for a Spanish company here would get in the region of €8 - 11 an hour (THATS TAKE HOME)

If on contract you'd be looking for the company paying out more than 50% of that monthly wage in taxes and Social security payments (kind of like taking it out of the electrician gross wage in the UK)

Approved electrical

UK company would pay around Ģ2000 a month take home Ģ1457

Spanish company would pay €2160 take home €1440

There is not a great deal of different is there

The problem is the employment Laws in Spain would not only get holiday pay but would get +or- 35 days pay on top of that per year contract completed. Thats another months pay.

Does that happen in the UK ?

Another problem is when people constantly refer back to the UK's ecomony which is completeley different

You pay more there to live so you would have to earn more to live

€5 - €6 an hour take home is more or less the same as the UK for not skilled work ie bar work, cleaner, shelf stacker or whatever else people misconsider being a responsable and skill tasking line of work

Lets face it, the majority of ex-pat workers are doing something along these types of work the majority dont even speak Spanish so completley close themselves to other types of work within Spanish owned or related companys

Whether or not they are highly skilled did this and that massive in the UK

What needs to be done is a worker needs to button their lips, get their head down and prove themselves

Rise your level

Simon-M
10-01-2012, 09:14
Whether or not they are highly skilled did this and that massive in the UK

What needs to be done is a worker needs to button their lips, get their head down and prove themselves

Rise your level

The unskilled will think you are part of the Bourgeoisie with that kind of attitude :)

tonypub
10-01-2012, 09:16
The unskilled will think you are part of the Bourgeoisie with that kind of attitude :)haha,nice to have you back simon

welshman
11-01-2012, 00:13
Out in India on business begining Nov they work 6 days 60 hrs a week for Ģ37.50 they cant work 7 as there is no electricity on one day a week. Needs must, no health service. So some sights I thought had I never would see in my life time. Its made me realise that there are millions of these people who will be willing to work. Thats why the world is changing and the work is being transferred out there. Their education is far infront of ours. Thank your selves you have the sun and tourists and not relying on manufacturing. The sun cannot be transferred:lol::lol::lol:

Zara
11-01-2012, 15:18
Out in India on business begining Nov they work 6 days 60 hrs a week for Ģ37.50 they cant work 7 as there is no electricity on one day a week. Needs must, no health service. So some sights I thought had I never would see in my life time. Its made me realise that there are millions of these people who will be willing to work. Thats why the world is changing and the work is being transferred out there. Their education is far infront of ours. Thank your selves you have the sun and tourists and not relying on manufacturing. The sun cannot be transferred:lol::lol::lol:

94% of the Indian population are surviving on 26 rupees a day (approx 35p) - Our coach driver (In Indian traffic this is a highly skilled job!!) earned Ģ200 a month and considered himself well off.

€5 an hour may not seem a lot but it could mean the difference between feeding yourself and starving. You do whatever you have to in order to look after yourself and your family - it is called pride, unlike in the UK where many appear happy to rely on Government hand-outs

Balcony
11-01-2012, 18:07
These days, economically, I think €5 (that equates to €10K a year) an hour is not too bad for a bar job. There are some additional perks in tips, though I confess I don't know if tips are shared, generally, in Tenerife.

Tenerife is not like mainland Spain, or the UK where there are opportunities in the cities, though there may be more opprtunities in Santa Cruz, provided you speak the language and have the interpersonnal skills. People have to be a little more realistic in these times and curb expectations. It is tough, no question, but EARN what you can while you can.

For skilled people, like electricians etc you do expect to pay for those kinds of services, though I use a very limited no. of British guys, since many think they're still in the UK and can charge double the local rate. It's not all sweetness and light with locals, of course, but I always try to get recommendations at the ferriteria these days.

9PLUS
11-01-2012, 19:33
What is that Local rate for tradespersons Balcony ? (especially electricians) most tradespeople will not work for hourly rates they want price work

Balcony
12-01-2012, 09:28
I've no idea what a 'local rate' would be, but I do know if a price seems right. Perhaps the wording was a little incorrect and, yes, I go along with price for the work. But most trademen I know have a loose rate, whether it's per hour, or per day. It's never apparent if they price a job because of it's complexity. Some do try to b/s tho!

For instance, I had some electrical changes and it cost me €25. Extra parts i.e. new consumer unit did cost a bit more! LOL. I've had plumbing work done for around €20 + parts a visit. OK minor-ish work. Incidentally these were rates charged by Brits!

I arrive later today and hope to get a good rate from a carpenter!

What is that Local rate for tradespersons Balcony ? (especially electricians) most tradespeople will not work for hourly rates they want price work

danne
16-01-2012, 20:32
are you married or in a relationship with this so called person !!!! woman or whatever she is as you are the only one who offers her any support !! at least **** turpin had the decency to wear a mask !!!!!!!!!