PDA

View Full Version : How Do I Know If A Car Has Outstanding Finance . . . .

Velocette
09-01-2012, 19:39
Hello, I'm new to Tenerife and this forum, so I have much to learn. I'm thinking of buying a second hand car or bike, but I'm told that it's possible to inherit past unpaid road tax, parking fines etc, and outstanding finance.

So I would like to know how to tell if there is money owing or not. Does it involve bringing the log book to wherever it is that registers new owners, will all be revealed there ?

I would greatly appreciate any advice.

I wasn't sure where to post my question, so I've just taken a chance that it will be ok here.

obs
09-01-2012, 23:19
Best suggestion from me is to send forum member golden maniac a pm, and ask her. She does charge, but a) reasonably, & b) it will work out cheaper in the end.

Good luck

Velocette
09-01-2012, 23:52
Thank you obs for your suggestion, I tried to locate golden maniac by using the live search, but with no success, perhaps you might give me a clue as to how I might navigate my way around this forum, it's probably very obvious but I'm at a loss as to how I might find her! . . . . I've just seen the FAQ perhaps I'll find something clues there . . . .

slodgedad
10-01-2012, 01:25
Thank you obs for your suggestion, I tried to locate golden maniac by using the live search, but with no success, perhaps you might give me a clue as to how I might navigate my way around this forum, it's probably very obvious but I'm at a loss as to how I might find her! . . . . I've just seen the FAQ perhaps I'll find something clues there . . . .

It's all one word; Goldenmaniac.

Click on Notifications at the top, select 'send private message' and away you go.

timmylish
10-01-2012, 12:37
Copied from Goldenmaniac,s site;-

Car matters: Buying a second hand car, ITV's (The equivalent of an MOT) and other topics to do with motoring

Purchasing a second hand car in Tenerife can be confusing if you are not used to the process. The main issue is that until the "pčrmiso de circulación" document is transfered into the new owners name they do not really "own" the car. By law you have 15 days to advise Trafico of the change of ownership.

If you are purchasing from a private individual it is also advisable to get a check done on the vehicle to make sure it is not the subject of a finance agreement or is being held as collatoral against outstanding fines or debts. In any of these cases the car can not/ should not be transferred into the new owners name even though it may be in their possession as they possibly are unable to trace the previous owner.
The following documentation is essential:

Seller

Copies of:
NIF identity document Or if non Spanish: White NIE in date plus Passport OR Certificado de registro plus passport OR old style plastic residencia IF still in date.

Original Ficha Technica (car log Book) This MUST have a current ITV stamp (MOT) with preferably at least 1 month's life left.
Original Permiso de Circulación matching the name of the documents above.
Original paid receipt of current rodaje (road tax)

Since October 2010 in Tenerife the registered address of the owner of the vehicle no longer appears on the "Permiso de Circulación" document, it is therefore advisable to make sure for vehicles registered after that date that the vendor provides you with proof of his actual address for use in completing the Compra Venta and transfer documents. Alternatively request a vehicle check from Trafico before buying to double check ownership of second hand vehicles.

Buyer

NIF identity document Or if non Spanish: White NIE in date plus Passport OR certificado de registro plus passport OR old style plastic residencia IF still in date.

CURRENT certificate of empadronamiento from your local Council.

Both parties must sign a Compraventa (Bill of Sale) DO NOT enter a price – you must get a book price confirmed by the Hacienda (Spanish Inland Revenue) otherwise there may be tax issues later on.
Signed Trafico application to transfer. If not attending Trafico yourself a signed authority document for someone to act on buyer and seller's behalf.

Be ready to pay a transfer tax of 4% of the book value of the vehicle to the Hacienda plus ( in 2010 ) 52 euros for Trafico fees plus consultants fees if you use one.

If a third party processes the application the ORIGINAL identity document of the Buyer is required to be shown as well as all of the above

An ITV is the Spanish equivalent of an MOT you can book an appointment on line (in English) here http://www.applusiteuve.com/esp/index_home.html

What happens if ny car documents are lost or stolen?

Firstly report the loss or theft by denuncia (formal statement) to your local Police or Guardia if easier.
The obtain a certificado de antecedentes from Trafico (this shows the history of ownership of the vehicle etc), take that with the vehicle to your nearest ITV testing station and request a duplicado de la ficha tecnica (log book) (also have the vehicle ITV'd if it is not already done or is about to run out) be warned the new ficha tecnica can take weeks to come back! - however if you have got the Police Denuncia and the vehicle has passed ITV then you are fine to drive while sorting everything out.

Once the new ficha tecnica arrives (and the ITV sticker for your windscreen if you had to do the test at the same time) then its back up to Trafico to obtain a new Permiso de circulación.

Replacing Car Documents is a costly and time-consuming process so whilst you are obliged to have all original documents in the car with you when you are driving, some people prefer to take them with them when they leave the vehicle anattended. At the very least you should have photocopies kept in a different place to the originals as this will help when making your report to the Police.

Goldenmaniac
11-01-2012, 14:33
Sent you a PM

Velocette
11-01-2012, 19:31
Thank you very much timmylish for providing such in depth info! . . .I feel I've embarked on an Open University Course! . . . .

However, having read it through a number of times, there is so much much practical advice that I wasn't aware of, that it makes essential reading, so thank you again.

Added after 2 minutes:

Thank you Goldenmaniac, for some reason I couldn't answer your PM, but have emailed instead.