PDA

View Full Version : Internet Buying a dongle in Tenerife south

polremy
12-01-2012, 16:53
Our friends have come over for the winter with their laptop and were confident that they could buy a dongle for it. However, they have tried various places without any luck. They seem to know what they want (1G for 15 euros or 3G for 30euros) but every place they have tried tells them they have none for sale.
Any ideas anyone por favor?

Megaloo
12-01-2012, 17:30
Our friends have come over for the winter with their laptop and were confident that they could buy a dongle for it. However, they have tried various places without any luck. They seem to know what they want (1G for 15 euros or 3G for 30euros) but every place they have tried tells them they have none for sale.

I know I am in the North, but my Son got what he wanted at the Vodaphone shop. I am sure there is one in the South.

delderek
12-01-2012, 17:55

Vodafone shops have them, but the 1G is now 20euros and valid one month only.

cainaries
12-01-2012, 17:58
If you've got a mobile phone you might try asking at the same supplier (this way you should (!) be guaranteed coverage where you are).

polremy
12-01-2012, 18:01
Thanks for that.
Will pass that on too.

cainaries
12-01-2012, 18:26
Thanks for that.
Will pass that on too.
Oh, I thought you meant they were staying with you. If they've got a mobile and got coverage, they could try the same supplier. Just a thought.

EileenD
12-01-2012, 19:35
Our friends are here for 6 months also and they bought a Vodafone dongle for around 35 euros which included 1GB and they can then top it up. We had to go to a few shops before we found one which had them in stock though but plenty in the south. When I phoned the free phone number at Vodafone on my son's mobile you can ask to speak to someone who can speak English to top up and any queries you may have. This is a free call from a Vodafone mobile. I was told to top up for the first time is best at an ATM which registers your card but after that to phone to top up as they can put bonos on so you get a bit more for your money. I think they have various bonos running at different times and the girl I spoke to says much better to phone to top up rather than going into the shops which usually means a long wait and no bono.

Susief
12-01-2012, 19:41
Thanks for that info Eileen. I will try that next time we are over to top up our dongle!
We bought our dongle for 35 euros with 20 euro credit. We got it from the Vodafone shop in Las Chafiras, a couple of doors away from Macdonalds!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Skeggy
12-01-2012, 20:45
Thanks for that info Eileen. I will try that next time we are over to top up our dongle!
We bought our dongle for 35 euros with 20 euro credit. We got it from the Vodafone shop in Las Chafiras, a couple of doors away from Macdonalds!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's exactly what I was told in the Vodafone shop in Las Galletas, the young man there speaks very reasonable English, unfortunately when I called they were out of stock, They are very busy so be prepared for a wait.

poshbird22
12-01-2012, 21:05
Hi, I bought my Pay as you go dongle from Vodafone behind Hotel Vulcano. One thing I will say, they dont last long. You can top up in most shops and bars. :spin:

debi
12-01-2012, 21:55
Just another suggestion. We bought our dongle from the |Orange shop (down the side of Best Tenerife Hotel PDLA) about 4 years ago. It cost €45 and we use it every August when we come over. On our arrival day we go into the shop (lovely helpfull satff) and top up the credit - its about €30 euros for a month.

tfs1
12-01-2012, 22:28
Vodafone PAYG options allow you to have various 'data' allowances depending on cost and a period of time. from 500MB for max 3 days cost 11€ to 2GB, max 30days is around 38€.

If you are on holiday and want this PAYG facility in Tenerife you could minimise the usage of this allowance by turning off Windows Updates while you are away - or self selecting those you want and defering others until you return to the UK.

Maybe using Firefox rather than than IE, IE gobbles up data. If you are happy you can turn off McaFee/Norton updates.

Read Emails every other day. Im told everytime you read emails it will dowmload all emails and new ones, again using up the GB allowance.

Finally, DO NOT USE SKYPE !!!

EileenD
12-01-2012, 23:32
Just noticed that Vodafone shop in Las Chafiras the other week Susie as it's a bit out of the way. Looked a good shop to visit though as it was very quiet in there. We usually go to Las Galletas and there's always a big queue.

tracy hampshire
12-01-2012, 23:41
i had already got my dongle from vodaphone, but sighned up for a contract for 19 euros a month, when your credit runs out, it dosen't cost anymore just gets a little slower, and you can cancel the contract anytime you like after the first month, great for general stuff, but if you want something fast then this is not your thing.

chris
13-01-2012, 00:03
I use this company they charge 49 Euros for a month and you get 2 GB for that and the speeds are Upload: 1Mbps
Download: 3Mbps

www.spainsim.com

clara
13-01-2012, 08:16
We use MASmovil and find it the best value (we did use vodafone). It costs 29.90 euros for 5gb per month but they do do one for 14.95 euros for 1gb per month but it does cost more if you go over. Its on a rolling contract (from bank dd or credit card) that can be cancelled any time. The dongle costs 45 euros. We got ours from Witzend in Callao Salvaje where Steph was extremely helpful.

tfs1
13-01-2012, 09:28
With the PAYG Vodafone offering you also have to be careful regarding monitoring how much 'data' you have left to use.

On one ocassion I put additional money on my Dongle SIM to cover the months worth of Data ie 30days /1GB and have a bit of a balance left over.

I paid for the 30 days 1GB data and during the month I got a warning that I was down to (I think it said) 10% data allowance left and after a few days realised that my surplus SIM € balance was going down.

The reason was I had used up my allowance before the month end and the subsequent days after this, when I logged on, I was being charged the default daily Vodafone Interent charge of 4€.

Chris

danne
13-01-2012, 18:57
hi if they are staying with you and you have a bank account go to movistar in grandsur 19 euro a month and cancel anytime no contract but bank account needed i did this and never any problem

polremy
13-01-2012, 20:13
Thanks. They actually have their own bank account here so I'll show them your post.

bonitatime
13-01-2012, 21:33
You can buy orange ones in the internet cafe in CC Fañabe Plaza. I was talking to the lady there and she sells them