PDA

View Full Version : What should I get? : iPhone or Blackberry?

Minnie Mouse
09-06-2011, 18:20
Hi guys!! I have decided to treat myself to a new mobile phone and I was all set to get an iPhone. Some of my friends and family have one and said they now could never live without it. However after saving up I am now thinking about getting a Blackberry. Both phones are costly (for me) and so I dont want to make a huge mistake buying the 'wrong' one for me.

Could anyone give me any advice on either handset? I am currently on Movistar and will probably stay on this network.

Thank you

Susief
09-06-2011, 18:38
iPhone everytime for me and would hate to be without it!

My hubby has a 3G iPhone, my son has a 3GS iPhone and myself and my daughter have an iPhone 4!

The apps are good for the iPhone and many of them are free.

Vortex Wake
09-06-2011, 18:46
Samsung Galaxy S - sorted :D

Does more than the iPhone and is cheaper.

Flash content playback : tick
Fm radio : tick
Sd card slot : tick
Removable battery : tick
Easy access point share : tick
Widgets : Oh Yes
Easy file transfer by Bluetooth : tick
View all content on Tv : tick

Oh, and loads of apps too :D

chocaholic
09-06-2011, 19:05
Iphone wonder how I lived without it

tendedburrito
09-06-2011, 20:00
Iphone by a long way

phillever
09-06-2011, 20:02
Im a Blackberry !!!
I would go for the Blackberry if you have plenty of friends who also have one, the blackberry messenger service is great. If you dont know what this means its the same as text messaging but its free between all Blackberrys, you each have a unique pin number and request to be added to the other persons contact list and then text away at no cost. Also cant beat the email features. Iphone are great but if you are just needing it for phone/email stick to Blackberry.

sophiedino
09-06-2011, 20:18
IPhone definitely, couldn't live without mine....mmmm that sounds quite sad

CIM
09-06-2011, 20:45
You can get a smartphone running Android - better value for money and currently superior models available than the Iphone 4. Samsung Galaxy and HTC Desire HD to name two.
Or wait for the new Iphone to come out. I like Android though and will be sticking with it when I upgrade next year.

hedgehog
09-06-2011, 21:31
Iphone for me (I wish)...especially if you know someone who can jailbreak it!

Sunlover
09-06-2011, 21:59
Working for O2, I would have to say that Samsung Galaxy S 2 seems to be a must have, and the HTC Sensation is due out shortly, if not out with other providers already. I phones are only guaranteed for 12 months with a contract, but most phones are guaranteed for the term of the contract, so just check before you choose.

Minnie Mouse
09-06-2011, 22:32
Thanks everyone for all of your advice. Still unsure. Think a lot of thinking it over is required :pray:

Cairo
09-06-2011, 22:47
With a lot of umming and awwing I just got myself an iphone 4 2 weeks ago - I had an android Samsung about a year ago briefly which I lost but apart from that have just been using a basic phone. Anyway, i am dead impressed with the iphone, keep reading through the manual and get more and more impressed all the time :)

KirstyJay
09-06-2011, 22:49
I phone for me.

Greg
09-06-2011, 23:21
I lost my Iphone 3g and tried all the others. I couldn't get into them after the speed and usefulness of the Iphone. I've got a iphone 4 now and wouldn't go to another system again. No contest for me!

Airazz
10-06-2011, 01:32
New Android-powered devices are definitely better than iPhone. Obviously, iPhone is all "fashionable" and stuff, but when it comes to usability and practicality, higher-class Androids win. There are several HTC models coming out now, Samsung Galaxy S is great too.

Angusjim
10-06-2011, 07:19
I will stick with my Nokia 1100:p

ssjolie
10-06-2011, 07:30
iPhone!
For me as a journalist I have my hole office in my iPhone 3Gs. The camera is not good enough, but the rest works very good.

mimon
10-06-2011, 07:56
Mmmmhh well that depends on taste, i like the BB QWERTY buttons, my gf says she loves the screen touch of iPhone and no buttons, i hear it is more elegant:).

San Miguel
10-06-2011, 09:11
Good thread as i have been having the exact same thought pattern..new phone time cos I got millions of points but what do I get?? and someone put it into perspective when they said..what do you want a new phone for? and I said....errr..well I think I ought to..like I am missing out here.....and they just cracked up laughing...I phone or Blackberry or as we like to say BlueBerry !!

Vortex Wake
10-06-2011, 09:12
If you have an iPhone then you won't see the YouTube videos on this page http://www.tenerifeforum.org/tenerife-forum/showthread.php?46-What-music-are-you-listening-to-today

If you have an android phone then you will see the the YouTube videos

Image from the Galaxy S

http://tapatalk.com/mu/50074abc-d269-ebf2.jpg.

Airazz
10-06-2011, 17:24
Many people are praising iPhone here. Could you guys point out why exactly it's better?

bonitatime
10-06-2011, 17:44
I like the Iphone because you can store loads on it. I have the version 4 which photos are ok for any normal use. I use it at work instead of a photocopier and can then print anything at home when I sync it with the computer which means I lose nothing if the date base is compromised.
Videos are good. I can watch you tube with an app I have so cant comment on why the above comment says you can't.
Great for diary with an alarm at various accasions before meetings. I can watch digiatl Plus on it which is great but you need to hae a contract with them already. I love that the aps are on various pages and I can set them for the type they are moving them around.
Can't comment on the android phones but my youngest has a blackberry which has a very small keyboard. Doesn't take good photos and I would want one if gifted.

CIM
10-06-2011, 17:44
Many people are praising iPhone here. Could you guys point out why exactly it's better?
It´s not, currently there are better phones on the market. Iphone has a lot of brand loyalty though and are very good products which is why people speak so highly of them.

I think Blackberry is in danger of being left behind at the moment.

Airazz
10-06-2011, 17:52
Bonita, you can store much more on any Android device. Storage space on Androids is pretty much unlimited, because you can swap memory cards. You can't do this on iPhone. Also, all androids use simple microUSB connection, so it's not a problem if you're visiting someone and you forgot your charger. You can simply borrow one.

I don't see a reason why iPhone is a better photocopier than... well... a photocopier.

And apps are on different pages on all smartphones. On androids you can choose the orientation of pages, i.e. if they will scroll sideways, vertically or flip.

bonitatime
10-06-2011, 18:25
Bonita, you can store much more on any Android device. Storage space on Androids is pretty much unlimited, because you can swap memory cards. You can't do this on iPhone. Also, all androids use simple microUSB connection, so it's not a problem if you're visiting someone and you forgot your charger. You can simply borrow one.

I don't see a reason why iPhone is a better photocopier than... well... a photocopier.

And apps are on different pages on all smartphones. On androids you can choose the orientation of pages, i.e. if they will scroll sideways, vertically or flip.
I haven't got a photocopier where I work so this is a great way to copy cheques, invioices, contracts etc. Also when you are out .
As I said I can't comment on andriod phones and the question form the OP was actually between Iphone and Blackberry.
As for the recharging I always have the cable in my bag so don't have this problem. But the phone will read most apps both way too.

A.P.&.S.S
10-06-2011, 18:53
Iphone for me (I wish)...especially if you know someone who can jailbreak it!

Just had mine jail broken.....Phone city in Los Cristianos, took about 1 hr and cost €25 and all working great. They are just behind the church.

Gfplux
10-06-2011, 19:05
I would vote for IPhone, as I have one. Perhaps if I had any other smart phone I would be in favor of that.
Just a point, with a smart phone on a NON Spanish contract remember to have data roaming switched OFF when visiting Tenerife. You should be able to download data by finding a free wifi spot. There are a few about but the demand for them seams low. Is this because so many mature people visit the Island and they don't have laptops, net books or smart phones?

poker
10-06-2011, 19:23
Samsung Galaxy TAB for me . With doubble SIM insert :love: .

MaxineC
10-06-2011, 20:06
Wouldn't be without my iphone... and with the emergence of iCloud, I will be able to access everything on my MacBook too! Vortex, you're wrong, you can watch YouTube on them...

Vortex Wake
10-06-2011, 20:20
Max, that is not what I have said .

The iPhone, just like my iPod touch will allow YouTube - but NOT flash videos , hence my link to the flash YouTube videos on the Tenerifeforum ' what music are you listening too' thread.

MaxineC
10-06-2011, 20:25
Max, that is not what I have said .

The iPhone, just like my iPod touch will allow YouTube - but NOT flash videos , hence my link to the flash YouTube videos on the Tenerifeforum ' what music are you listening too' thread.

Sorry honey, misread your post... :ashamed:

Greg
10-06-2011, 22:58
I think we'll all agree to differ, horses for courses and all that but if anyone wanted to start a survey on here I would bet good money that people who own an Iphone have converted from another operating system and wouldn't go back where as the Android/Blackberry community love their device but have never actually owned an Iphone. Any contradictions?

KirstyJay
10-06-2011, 23:11
I think we'll all agree to differ, horses for courses and all that but if anyone wanted to start a survey on here I would bet good money that people who own an Iphone have converted from another operating system and wouldn't go back where as the Android/Blackberry community love their device but have never actually owned an Iphone. Any contradictions?I would not contradict for myself, as I LOVE my iPhone, however the receptionist at work is a BIG phone fan and he's just about to give up his iPhone for a Samsung Galaxy... for me, however, I love iOS and Android just does not cut it the same. My mum has a HTC and I was tempted, but it's just not an iPhone.... the iPhone OS is slicker and smoother. I'm not bothered about Flash, as it's a pain in the backside anyway, and any decent website should use AJAX these days, rather than relying on flash for content.

Airazz
10-06-2011, 23:14
I don't think it's a safe assumption as no statistics are available on conversion ratios. All I can say is that Android is now growing very fast. It already overtook iOS in USA, as is shown by sales statistics. This is based only on Android vs. iPhone phones, statistics exclude tablets. On a sidenote, Apple is way behind with their iPad, they have no chances in competing against such devices as Toshiba Thrive.

Edit: as for smoothness, it all comes down to what device you're using. Older/cheaper devices obviously won't run as fast as newest top-end dual core machines.

CIM
11-06-2011, 01:06
I think Apple have done incredibly well with iOS but really think Android is going to become the nr 1 mobile operating system before long.
Developers will play a big part if they move away from developing for multiple OS´s and decide to concentrate on one. I´ll go with whichever is the best for me at the time - right now that is Android phones. Iphones just seem overpriced and I dont see the additional cost as good value for money personally but each to their own.
I downloaded an app last night called Whatsapp which automatically connects me via a "blackberry killing" instant messaging service with everyone in my contact list and in my facebook friends list who has the same app installed.
I think Blackberry are going to get steamrolled over the next couple of years unless they do something drastic!!

timmylish
11-06-2011, 02:45
As an outsider on this my opinion, for what it,s worth, is the same as goes for using a Mac computer. I am of the opinion that Macs are way overpriced, against their opposition, as its needed for the high cost of advertising and keeping their machines in the public image. The only exception to that is people who use graphics and such like.

KirstyJay
11-06-2011, 03:05
As an outsider on this my opinion, for what it,s worth, is the same as goes for using a Mac computer. I am of the opinion that Macs are way overpriced, against their opposition, as its needed for the high cost of advertising and keeping their machines in the public image. The only exception to that is people who use graphics and such like.I agree, Macs are overpriced, but as the inventors of the GUI Macs run natively on GUI, whereas Windows do not. Macs are by far more efficient, but Windows have/had the market share regarding programs. That may change though.

Macs are far better for Graphic use, such as video or Graphic designers.

Topacciolo
11-06-2011, 03:10
iPhone all day long!!!!!!!!!!

Topacciolo

dotty1
11-06-2011, 07:47
iphone for me and mine is jailbroken love it, was a present,so I would!nt complain whatever I had.

garlicbread
11-06-2011, 09:55
iPhone!
For me as a journalist I have my hole office in my iPhone 3Gs. The camera is not good enough, but the rest works very good.

Are you sure you're a journalist?;);)

CMEdinburgh
11-06-2011, 11:38
For simplicity, integration, security and a clear future - it has to be iPhone.

I switched to it a while back and have looked at BlackBerry and Androids, but for iOS and everything else only an iPhone does me.

KJPAUL
11-06-2011, 15:44
Iphone every time,

3 x iphone 3gs, 1 x iphone 4, 2 x HTC and 1 x samsung in the family

I have been told the aps on the other phones are just not as good!

Airazz
03-07-2011, 16:28
Iphone if you want a quick and safe phone

It's not faster, neither safer than any other phone. When it comes to customization, iPhone is like a brick. Access to root is blocked and you are not allowed to hack it, as warranty becomes void if you do. Also, it's very old, compared to Android devices.

P.S. Another user in this thread (http://www.tenerifeforum.org/tenerife-forum/showthread.php?5098-Tenerife-a-technology-backwater) pointed out that number of apps is ridiculously small in Tenerife. I have no idea why they are blocked, but seems like it might be a problem if you get an iPhone.

CIM
03-07-2011, 16:36
It's not faster, neither safer than any other phone. When it comes to customization, iPhone is like a brick. Access to root is blocked and you are not allowed to hack it, as warranty becomes void if you do. Also, it's very old, compared to Android devices.

Agree with everything said above. I have an HTC Desire HD with Android and bought a Iphone for my other half quite recently. After being accustomed to Android, I honestly couldn't believe how closed down iOS (drag and drop files anyone??!!!) Itunes is horrible and you are forced to use it - brings back bad memories of old rubbish versions of Windows media player.

Logged into the Istore - wanted to download a couple of things. Had to register a credit card - which really reaslly annoys me. Then found the first app I wanted, whilst free on Android, I had to pay for on iOS.

I have no brand loyalty I am not a fanboy of either and Android for me is a million miles ahead of iOS. Never used Blackberry.

doreen
03-07-2011, 17:51

P.S. Another user in this thread (http://www.tenerifeforum.org/tenerife-forum/showthread.php?5098-Tenerife-a-technology-backwater) pointed out that number of apps is ridiculously small in Tenerife. I have no idea why they are blocked, but seems like it might be a problem if you get an iPhone.

I love my iPhone and have downloaded an awful lot more apps than that ... think he was referring to the number of Tenerife related apps :)

bonitatime
03-07-2011, 19:43
My youngest has just got a Galaxy S2 which is very nice but hasn't convinced me to change. My contract runs out about the time the Iphone 5 is due out so I am going to wait and see

princessmonika
03-07-2011, 21:13
i have an iphone and blackberry storm ---- both good iphone for ireland blackberry storm for my spanish sim-- typing on iphone is easier

MaxineC
03-07-2011, 23:32

The only 'blocked' apps here are ones that are exclusive to a particular country - ITV player for instance (UK only at the moment). I'm not sure what the other poster was talking about when he claimed most apps are blocked here... we've never experienced any such problems.

Whatsapp isn't just a BB app, I have it on my iphone too.... and darn useful it is too! :D

SuzyQ
04-07-2011, 02:55
If you havent got an iPhone, you havent got an iPhone - so the ad says. But I tend to agree, I LOVE mine, got all my shows on it so its my way of earning money, fast internet, email, just fab!!! Would never even look at anything else.
.....and whatsapp is fab too. No more expensive texting.

Susief
04-07-2011, 06:20
One of the guys I work with has two blackberries, he drawls over my iPhone 4, he can't wait till his contract end date so he can change them for iPhone.
I love my iPhone, have many apps, mainly free ones, only thing I wished I'd done was get a 32gb instead of a 16.

Norm de Plume
04-07-2011, 10:11
I only want to receive and send emails in Tenerife. What's the cheapest way of doing that? At the moment when I'm in Tenerife, I use my friend's computer. (I don't expect it to be as cheap as that.)

WELSH CLASSIC
04-07-2011, 10:43
Plenty of internet places 50c/half hour.There was a bar on the front of San Telmos beach Los Cris,next to the Breeze Inn had free internet if you buy a drink .Has happy hours.

CMEdinburgh
04-07-2011, 11:25
I use my iPhone for emails, and find somewhere with free wifi (theres plenty) and sit with a coffee or a beer while dealing with them.

Airazz
04-07-2011, 19:37
If you havent got an iPhone, you havent got an iPhone - so the ad says. But I tend to agree, I LOVE mine, got all my shows on it so its my way of earning money, fast internet, email, just fab!!! Would never even look at anything else.
.....and whatsapp is fab too. No more expensive texting.

I'm not sure what that ad means, other phones can be just as good or even better than iPhone :) As for internet, even the good old HTC Evo has better speed. And better cameras on both front and the back.

Oh, and iPhone is insanely overpriced. For that amount of money you could get Motorola Atrix for pretty much the same price, which has much more power.

Whatsapp is not limited to iPhones, it's on Android Market too :)

Topacciolo
04-07-2011, 19:48
It's all about reliability!!!
iPhone!!! Always! The only down side honestly is battery time.
If you use it a lot it will last a day the most!
Apps are so many and the android one are good (some and many are the same) but app store does have more and they usually are out first for the iPhone and after converted for android.
All in all iPhone is the phone that will not net you down! Ever!!

Topacciolo

Greg
04-07-2011, 19:51
this is true, Apple stuff never locks up, freezes or crashes like Windoze based stuff. And if you buy from Apple rather than an ISP the aftercare is incredible.

Topacciolo
04-07-2011, 19:57
this is true, Apple stuff never locks up, freezes or crashes like Windoze based stuff. And if you buy from Apple rather than an ISP the aftercare is incredible.

Yes!! Very true!!
I don't know on the island but in UK at the apple stores customer service is so good!! Over the phone also they are very good and they know what they are talking about... Not like those people that as best advice they tell you "Restart you device!!"

Topacciolo

Airazz
04-07-2011, 20:11
As ironic as it is, restarting helps to solve 90% of all cases. Oh, and Apple stuff crashes, don't be deceived by their ads :)

MaxineC
04-07-2011, 20:15
As ironic as it is, restarting helps to solve 90% of all cases. Oh, and Apple stuff crashes, don't be deceived by their ads :)

I disagree.... I'm a Mac user and it has NEVER crashed. However, when I was a pc user, it was a daily occurrence.

My view is do BELIEVE the Apple ads, they live up to all their claims, are far superior to anything else on the market and aftercare is superb!

Topacciolo
04-07-2011, 20:17

I know that but once you tell them that is been done let's try something else....
Anyway like you said apples do crush like everything else but I used win phones and shortly I had a blackberry for work and they regularly slow down or freeze but I had 2 iPhones (3G and 4) and in 3 years once I had to restarted because it froze so I think it's pretty good... Perfection doesn't exist and other devices are newer and more powerful but they iPhone is still smoother and more reliable... No question about that!
And the next one will be the same!!
Can't wait!

Topacciolo

Airazz
04-07-2011, 20:25
DO believe Apple ads? The problem with Apple is that Apple decides what you like and what you don't. No Apple device supports Flash. iPhone doesn't support Java either. Why? Because Steve Jobs doesn't like it. What other manufacturers think about Flash and Java? They think it's very important part of the internet, gaming and overall mobile experience, that's why they went one step further and made sure that these would work properly, instead of just skipping them completely.

On a not-very-related note, those "If you don't have an iPhone..." ads have few very serious lies in them, it's strange they are still being shown.

Greg
04-07-2011, 20:33
my Iphone 4 has never crashed, my Macbook air (three years old) has never crashed and I have a Mac mini that I use as a media centre which has not been turned off or rebooted in three years has never crashed either. I think when a manufacturer tailors their software for their hardware it has to be more reliable than manufacturers using third party software. I couldn't imagine going back to android, Windoze or using a plasticy HTC type phone again.

Vortex Wake
04-07-2011, 20:41
It's all about reliability!!!
iPhone!!! Always! The only down side honestly is battery time.
If you use it a lot it will last a day the most!
Apps are so many and the android one are good (some and many are the same) but app store does have more and they usually are out first for the iPhone and after converted for android.
All in all iPhone is the phone that will not net you down! Ever!!

Topacciolo

Not a problem with my Samsung Galaxy - I just pop in another fully charged battery if the one in it goes flat.

Apple iPhone Lesson number 42: If you forgot to charge your iPhone overnight then you are buggered the following day (unless you have one of those naff addon batteries) :eyebrows:

MaxineC
04-07-2011, 20:44
DO believe Apple ads? The problem with Apple is that Apple decides what you like and what you don't. No Apple device supports Flash. iPhone doesn't support Java either. Why? Because Steve Jobs doesn't like it. What other manufacturers think about Flash and Java? They think it's very important part of the internet, gaming and overall mobile experience, that's why they went one step further and made sure that these would work properly, instead of just skipping them completely.

On a not-very-related note, those "If you don't have an iPhone..." ads have few very serious lies in them, it's strange they are still being shown.

It's only the iphone that doesn't support Flash, it works as well as Flash does (which isn't very well at all, on Mac or pc) on laptop/desktops... The reason Steve Jobs doesn't support it is because it's crap... and was responsible for my pc constantly crashing. Flash doesn't have a future on any device as it's so unreliable.... and just around the corner will be something far superior! ;)

With your comments regarding their ads, if you feel it's false advertising, report it... Personally, I believe they live up to all their claims...

Greg
04-07-2011, 20:46
or a car charger, or just plug it into your laptop, it will charge while updating your podcasts and play lists. Oh yeah and backing up all your info like directories, calenders etc. but what kind of numpty forgets to charge his phone but remembers to put a spare battery in their pocket:whistle:

pablo1
04-07-2011, 20:46
I have an I-Phone4 because the advert told me I needed to get one!
The nice people at Orange also told me that I needed to get one, and who am I to argue with the television and an in-store salesman..... :-)

Airazz
04-07-2011, 20:47
Apple don't make hardware, check specifications and you'll see same components as in any other laptop. Moreover, other laptops with identical components will cost less. The only thing Apple makes are the shiny polished cases.

MaxineC
04-07-2011, 20:49
I have an I-Phone4 because the advert told me I needed to get one!
The nice people at Orange also told me that I needed to get one, and who am I to argue with the television and an in-store salesman..... :-)

So why don't you take any notice when I tell you to do something.... :D :D :D

Added after 6 minutes:

Apple don't make hardware, check specifications and you'll see same components as in any other laptop. Moreover, other laptops with identical components will cost less. The only thing Apple makes are the shiny polished cases.

I disagree, on many counts...

i used to say all the same things as you, until I switched over to a Mac... :whistle: Far superior in every way and worth a little extra, as it comes fully loaded with some amazing software.

*Takes geek head out of box*

All the new iMacs have quad core processors, not dual, and they're also the latest Sandyridge chips, which are much more powerful than Intel. They also have the latest Thunderbolt IO technology, developed by Apple with Intel, which is at least twice as fast as Firewire 800 (totally exclusive to Apple, no pc has this!). And Firewire 800 is 4 times faster than USB2.

It has High def Facetime camera, but most importantly, it has the wonderful Mac OSX currently Snowleopard, but on July 19th, Lion (OSX 10.7) will be available for $29. Snowleopard was already 3-4 years in advance of any Windows OS and Lion will be 5-7 years in advance... It's incredibly fast (full 64 bit processors) making the most of the Sandyridge chips, which are robust to the point where my OH hasn't had a crash in 9 months, and he's a serious heavyweight user..

The standard machine comes pre-loaded with the iLife suite of programmes, inc iMovie, iPhoto & many other features.

Comparing a Mac to a pc is like comparing a Ferrari to a Morris Minor.... they're completely different animals! Also, if you do a true comparison, the equivalent pc, which would have to be custom built, unlike a standard issue Mac, the pc would be more expensive...

*puts geek head back in it's box* :D

pablo1
04-07-2011, 20:56
So why don't you take any notice when I tell you to do something.... :D :D :D
Because I enjoy my punishment!
Shhhh, I would rather my fetishes stay off the forum.... :-)

Airazz
04-07-2011, 21:03
Macbook Air is far superior? How so? My phone has more connections than Macbook air. And when Air costs nearly £900, you really can't say that the price is adequate. Especially when market is full of compact netbooks for one third of that price, with very similar specifications and battery lifetime.

pablo1
04-07-2011, 21:08
Macbook Air is far superior? How so? My phone has more connections than Macbook air. And when Air costs nearly £900, you really can't say that the price is adequate. Especially when market is full of compact netbooks for one third of that price, with very similar specifications and battery lifetime.

Should I take my I-Phone back or is it still an ok phone? I'm worried that i'm not as cool as I thought I was when purchasing it.
Your posts are making me think that i've bought something akin to what Alexander Bell may have been using....

Greg
04-07-2011, 21:08
Connections? Why would I want more than a USB and WIFI? And if you can find a netbook that will runn all the programmes my Mac air will without crashing I will really take my hat off to you!

MaxineC
04-07-2011, 21:12
Because I enjoy my punishment!
Shhhh, I would rather my fetishes stay off the forum.... :-)

Your secrets are safe with me.... For now! :D

Who said anything about a MacBook Air... ???

Added after 3 minutes:

Connections? Why would I want more than a USB and WIFI? And if you can find a netbook that will runn all the programmes my Mac air will without crashing I will really take my hat off to you!

Ah, Greg mentioned MacBook Air.... :D

Greg
04-07-2011, 21:17
Naughty me, I get a bit carried away with my Apple enthusiasm sometimes:smack:

MaxineC
04-07-2011, 21:19
Naughty me, I get a bit carried away with my Apple enthusiasm sometimes:smack:

Haha, me too.... It took OH 8 years to convert me, but I'd NEVER go back to a pc now... I've seen the light! :D :D

Greg
04-07-2011, 21:25
and will you be on the waiting list at Apple for the Iphone 5? It's rumoured to have the Ipad chip to make it lightning fast and lots of other goodies on it:lots-jumping:

sleepy
04-07-2011, 21:27
Should I take my I-Phone back or is it still an ok phone? I'm worried that i'm not as cool as I thought I was when purchasing it.
Your posts are making me think that i've bought something akin to what Alexander Bell may have been using....

Yes,and get yourself an Galaxy S2 phone.Itunes is total garbage too!

MaxineC
04-07-2011, 21:28
and will you be on the waiting list at Apple for the Iphone 5? It's rumoured to have the Ipad chip to make it lightning fast and lots of other goodies on it:lots-jumping:

Not until December when I'm due my automatic FREE upgrade... Merry Christmas to me! :D

pablo1
04-07-2011, 21:31
Yes,and get yourself an Galaxy S2 phone.Itunes is total garbage too!

Thanks sleepy. I'll wait until I see how good the advert is first, but if it's as persuasive as the Apple one then put me down!! :-)

MaxineC
04-07-2011, 21:34
Thanks sleepy. I'll wait until I see how good the advert is first, but if it's as persuasive as the Apple one then put me down!! :-)

Traitor.....

Airazz
04-07-2011, 21:37
iPhone 4 has the iPad chip and same OS. The problem with apple is that they are insanely slow with advancements. Front-facing camera first time appeared in iPhone 4 in 2010. My old cheap Sony Ericsson had it back in 2007. Whatever Apple will release in September, it will be old and outdated by the end of the year, as other manufacturers are a bit more generous, not just one new product per year. Yet they still brag a lot, "We reinvented the phone, we invented tablets, yada yada yada" :) Everything (literally, everything) they make is already present somewhere else. All Apple does is put their logo on it and double the price. I still fail to see any significant reason to buy iSomething. Sure, OS is smooth, but so will be the new Android 4.0, which is coming out in the next couple months. We will see who beats who :)

Can anyone show me where and how exactly is iPhone better than any other phone on the market?

pablo1
04-07-2011, 21:52
iPhone 4 has the iPad chip and same OS. The problem with apple is that they are insanely slow with advancements. Front-facing camera first time appeared in iPhone 4 in 2010. My old cheap Sony Ericsson had it back in 2007. Whatever Apple will release in September, it will be old and outdated by the end of the year, as other manufacturers are a bit more generous, not just one new product per year. Yet they still brag a lot, "We reinvented the phone, we invented tablets, yada yada yada" :) Everything (literally, everything) they make is already present somewhere else. All Apple does is put their logo on it and double the price. I still fail to see any significant reason to buy iSomething. Sure, OS is smooth, but so will be the new Android 4.0, which is coming out in the next couple months. We will see who beats who :)

Can anyone show me where and how exactly is iPhone better than any other phone on the market?

I've yet to meet anybody unhappy with their I-Phone, surely that's the main thing.
So what if other brands are supposedly better. If you, as the customer are satisfied then it's doing it's job no?

MaxineC
04-07-2011, 21:54
Guess me and the other 10million plus iphone users will have to agree to disagree with you... I'm sure there will be some people, but I don't know of a single iphone user that would swap to another brand. I know Smurf went across to a BB, as he thought he was getting a better deal... he soon moved back!

At the end of the day if what you're using suits you, carry on with it....

Susief
04-07-2011, 21:57
I've yet to meet anybody unhappy with their I-Phone, surely that's the main thing.
So what if other brands are supposedly better. If you, as the customer are satisfied then it's doing it's job no?

Pablo this has got to be a first but I totally agree with you.
I have friends and family who all have the iPhone 3G, 3GS and 4. Not one of them would go back to an Android phone.
My son had problems with his iPhone 3GS (small crack on back) and took it into Apple shop and they exchanged it for a new one! No fuss!
I have had my iPhone 4 since Sept last year and have never looked back!

Jackie
04-07-2011, 22:00
My husband has a blackberry and my daughter an iphone. They both say the others phone is cr@p,but that is because they both have their preferences.

Airazz
04-07-2011, 22:02
Many simply haven't tried anything better, that's why they are happy. Others use only the most basic functions which could be completely fulfilled by a £30 Nokia and £50 camera from Argos :)

Small cracks will always be exchanged if you have bought insurance with your phone. I could literally throw mine out the window, then collect the remains and bring it back to the shop, as "accidental damage" is included in the policy. Now guess how much you would have to pay for a replacement screen when your insurance ends :)

slodgedad
04-07-2011, 22:03
I have spoken to users of both and both are adamant that they have the best and cannot have their minds changed.

No good asking me as I've only just learned to text.

I think it is turning out to be a VHS/ Betamax battle, only this time there won't be a complete winner but a leader.

MaxineC
04-07-2011, 22:05
Many simply haven't tried anything better, that's why they are happy. Others use only the most basic functions which could be completely fulfilled by a £30 Nokia and £50 camera from Argos :)

Small cracks will always be exchanged if you have bought insurance with your phone. I could literally throw mine out the window, then collect the remains and bring it back to the shop, as "accidental damage" is included in the policy. Now guess how much you would have to pay for a replacement screen when your insurance ends :)

How patronising....

No extra insurance needed for replacements, a friend even dropped hers down the toilet and Apple replaced it....

Greg
04-07-2011, 22:07
Apple in the UK have an amazing repair policy. I have sent back various dropped, wet and abused products including a mouse I bought on Ebay. They have never asked to see a receipt or insurance, they just fix it in 48 hours and return it with a smile. They have the best customer service of any company I've dealt with.

Airazz
04-07-2011, 22:07
Warranty is included in the price, don't expect Apple to just give out phones for free :)

By the way, did your friend picked it up with bare hands or with something else? I've always been wondering what people do in such situations. What if there's a swimmer and phone drops in?

As for replacement for something from Ebay, many companies do this when product can be identified. I've sent electronic speed controlled from one of my models back to the manufacturer (it burned out during the race), I didn't include any notes or anything, just the chip. A week later I got a new one, no questions asked. Why? Because it's definitely their product and they give warranty against certain accidents.

Jackie
04-07-2011, 22:09
How patronising....

No extra insurance needed for replacements, a friend even dropped hers down the toilet and Apple replaced it....

and my daughter had hers literally smashed on the floor with such force that the whole screen shattered by a jealous boyfriend, been replaced no problem...so has the boyfriend ;)

MaxineC
04-07-2011, 22:13
Warranty is included in the price, don't expect Apple to just give out phones for free :)

By the way, did your friend picked it up with bare hands or with something else? I've always been wondering what people do in such situations. What if there's a swimmer and phone drops in?

Didn't ask, and I didn't want to know... :D

I got my iphone free when I took out my contract, as I'd been with the same company for a while, so if they do bump warrantry into the price, I didn't have to pay it! :cheer:

Right, on that note I will have to leave you to it... Whilst I've been caught up on this thread my poor OH has started to eat the cushions... I think he's trying to tell me he's :hungry:

Greg
04-07-2011, 22:13
When they get you as a customer they want to keep you.They have a great way of making sure customers are satisfied all of the time, when you give that kind of service you develop alot of brand loyalty.

sleepy
04-07-2011, 22:14
Out of interest.Can Apple products be replaced in Tenerife if purchased here or would one need to send it to the UK?

doreen
04-07-2011, 22:16
Apple in the UK have an amazing repair policy. I have sent back various dropped, wet and abused products including a mouse I bought on Ebay. They have never asked to see a receipt or insurance, they just fix it in 48 hours and return it with a smile. They have the best customer service of any company I've dealt with.

I'm afraid iPhones are not replaced quite so easily when dealing with Movistar :(

Airazz
04-07-2011, 22:16
I got my iphone free when I took out my contract, as I'd been with the same company for a while, so if they do bump warrantry into the price, I didn't have to pay it! :cheer:

Lemme guess, monthly payments? Surely you don't think that they actually gave you a phone for free? That's why many phones in UK are locked, it's because most income comes from calls and texts, not from price of the handset.

Greg
04-07-2011, 22:18
There is no Apple store in Tenerife. The nearest is Barcelona. I buy mine from the UK as my girlfriend travels backward and forward alot which makes it easy. I prefer to buy from Apple directly rather than from the phone companies.

Added after 6 minutes:

Oh dear Airazz, you do seem to be peeing on a bonfire that's way to big for you to put out. May I suggest actually buying an Iphone or any other Apple product and see why many of us are so very happy with them and the service. When you can talk from experience maybe your post will not quite be so negative.

MaxineC
04-07-2011, 22:24
I'm afraid iPhones are not replaced quite so easily when dealing with Movistar :(

They are if the owner has a soft spot for you (owner of the shop that is, not Movistar!!).... :D :D :D

Airazz
04-07-2011, 22:43
Oh dear Airazz, you do seem to be peeing on a bonfire that's way to big for you to put out. May I suggest actually buying an Iphone or any other Apple product and see why many of us are so very happy with them and the service. When you can talk from experience maybe your post will not quite be so negative.

Oh, but I had iPhone 3GS for about two months, while my phone was broken and my neighbor lent me one of his (he's a very big Apple fanboy, buys everything from Apple just because it's Apple, not because he needs it, haha :)) As I already said, sure, OS is smooth, but I didn't see anything unique or Apple-specific. Every single feature can be found in other phones. Android wins by far here, because Android OS can be (and is) customized for every model. You can build your own OS using Google tools which are obviously free, if you really want to. Apple would sue you for a gazillion dollars if you tried something like that :) Moreover, Apple censors apps too. Remember Wikileaks? Yes, Steve decided that open information is stupid :)

Price of the iPhone can be beaten easily too. Design... well... it didn't change much since 2007, did it?

MaxineC
04-07-2011, 23:16
Lemme guess, monthly payments? Surely you don't think that they actually gave you a phone for free? That's why many phones in UK are locked, it's because most income comes from calls and texts, not from price of the handset.

All contract phones are monthly payments... ??? However, my monthly charges now are no more than they were when I was on a bog standard phone... Next question! :D

Airazz
04-07-2011, 23:32
All contract phones are monthly payments... ???

Well yes, that's what "contract" means :) Not all good phones must come with contracts though.

Greg
04-07-2011, 23:48
Well you either have a phone on a contract where the cost of the headset is spread over the length of the contract or you pay cash for the phone yourself and stick in whatever sim you want. And your point would be.....?

MaxineC
04-07-2011, 23:51
Well yes, that's what "contract" means :) Not all good phones must come with contracts though.

I didn't say they didn't.... ??? And please don't patronise me, I'm perfectly aware of what 'contract' means!!

Airazz
04-07-2011, 23:52
By taking a contract you end up paying a lot more than you would pay if you bought directly and paid full price at once. It's because on contract you have to pay same monthly fee, whether you use all of those hundreds of "free" texts and minutes or you don't.

MaxineC
04-07-2011, 23:58

By taking a contract you end up paying a lot more than you would pay if you bought directly and paid full price at once. It's because on contract you have to pay same monthly fee, whether you use all of those hundreds of "free" texts and minutes or you don't.

We ALL know what a contract means.... You're talking as if we're all imbeciles! :rolleyes:

I'm not sure how much you think we're paying for our monthly contracts, but as I said before, my overall monthly charges are no more expensive than they were before I got my iphone, except now I have a great phone and before I had a crappy one that I'd had for about 4 years!

Greg
04-07-2011, 23:58
so you are on pay as you go then Airazz?

Airazz
05-07-2011, 00:31
Yup. £10 for unlimited internet (really unlimited) is the main reason.