PDA

View Full Version : Other Jellyfish at El Médano and other beaches in south Tenerife

mike in chayofa
15-01-2012, 15:04
I have friends staying with me and we went to El Médano yesterday.

It seems that there are a lot of jellyfish around and the beach was closed with a red flag flying and a blue flag underneath with a jellyfish logo in white.

I didn't have the opportunity to ask for any details of how long the risk will be in place, how many beaches are affected or of any injuries, but if you go, do ask and watch for the warning flags.

Nic
15-01-2012, 21:24
There are lots along the coast just now. I work for one of the boat companies in Puerto Colon and on Wednesday the dolphins were on the other side of the harbour wall because of the jelly fish, they don't like being close to them and that's the closest the dolphins have come before. One of my friends went diving in Palmar and they couldn't resurface because the jelly fish were so dense, in the end they had to use their spare air to blow bubbles to move them out the way. It happens about twice a year and they move on quite quickly, the turtles love to eat them too!

Canarian Weekly
17-01-2012, 17:50
Swarms of jellyfish or ‘smacks’ (large groups of Jellyfish) as they are called have restricted swimming areas on several beaches in the Canaries including El Médano, where hundreds invaded the shoreline last Thursday. Los Cristianos beach also has an invasion of the tiny creatures. Certain beaches have been closed where necessary or strict safety measures [...]

More... (http://www.canarianweekly.com/smacked-jellyfish/)

SianC
20-01-2012, 12:15
I got caught out by this on Sunday! We were just along from El medano, went for a nice walk and of course saw quite a few on the shore line. However didnt see a flag and my boyfriend had his mind made up that we were going snorkeling! So we went in and everything was fine until suddenly all I could see was jellyfish!! We managed to get out with a lot of zig zagging! Lets just say it was an experience!!!

clearwell
19-04-2014, 17:14
Today Stinging fish in sea at La Pinta . Great grand son had to go to the hospital. The iceberg play area was cleared right away. There should be a warning.

marbro8
19-04-2014, 17:26
cameron was stung by one last week while in lanzarote

clearwell
19-04-2014, 17:28
Well he stinging the rest of us. Lol

Jabba43
19-04-2014, 18:24
Time to get that Jacuzzi installed.