PDA

View Full Version : Ferries to mainland Spain from Tenerife

Stoney
16-01-2012, 17:15
Anyone got first hand knowledge of the ferries from Santa Cruz to Spain, we want to go to Spain in March and would like to know other peoples experiences.

1) Has anyone taken a dog on the ferry to or from Huelva if so how does it work, have been told you get an hour a day to exercise the dog, what happens about feeding and drinking.

2) Have been quoted 25 Euros to cover our meals on board for the journey is this worth doing and what is the food like.

3) How big are the cabins and is it better to get an inside or outside one.

bonitatime
16-01-2012, 21:34
I have friends who made the journey recently who thought the food package was a good deal. They didnt have a cabin but said they wouldn't do the journey again without one.
My personal opinion is unless you plan to spend a lot of time in your cabin its never worth getting an outside one

Satellite Steve
16-01-2012, 21:47
HI

I have used the ferry from Huelva to Tenerife twice. I did not have a pet so I cannot comment on that. The first time I had a cabin for me and the wife, it was a 2 bed and in the booking process I could choose which cabin I wanted from the deck plan from what was available and it was an outside cabin. The Cabin slept 2 on bunk beds, there was a wet room shower and toilet bathroom. The second time I was travelling alone and when I made the booking there were no cabins left. As it is only a one night journey, I could live with that and there are plenty of chairs to sleep in. All food and drink onboard is only available by the bars or self service cafeteria. I found the food not fantastic and not very warm and had to warm it up in the microwave that is provided (I assume for baby bottles etc). I did not know about the 25 euro ticket for meals on the first journey until I was half way through and without it the meals were 9 euros for a plate of whatever you chose from the menu. The next time I just took my own food and drink onboard in hand luggage as I was trying to save abit of money also. You can also take pillows and blanket on board if you want to make it easier if you are sleeping without a cabin.

There are quite a few seats in the lounges that have electrical sockets next to them. I had my laptop with me and watched films I had loaded onto it to pass the time. There is no entertainment onboard as in shows but there was some animation by the pool a couple of times.

A big warning though, when on board your phone will lock to the ship phone network. Do not use your mobile while at sea as you will get charged approx 10 euros per minute for making calls. This happened to me the first time, I made 2 calls of about 2 mins each and got charged just over 40 euros on my Bill. The second journey I kept my phone off as I did not know what I would be charged if anything for incoming calls also.

While on the trip there are scheduled times when you can have access to the car deck if you need something from your car. I used this route as I could get a residents discount and it was 190 euros one way for 1 car and driver.

Hope this info is useful

Steve